Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'd rate Cosori a little higher than random Amazon brands, their stuff seems to be reasonably well regarded. I had a Cosori air fryer and I thought it was better thought-out in terms of design than most of the name brands it was up against at the time.

Also happy with my cosori air fryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Nephzinho posted:

Might not be what you want to do but I tend to just freeze herbs in a little oil or just make pesto rather than dehydrate excess herbs. Always found dehydrating to kill the flavor.

Vacuum sealing and freezing also works well if you don't want them frozen in oil.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

tie them in a bunch and hang it up. It even looks and smells nice. It's not like drying fruit where you gotta go fast or they'll go gross before they dry out.
I live in swampy Florida, where loads of fungus, mold, midges, and other things will ruin anything left to dry, even herbs. I sometimes tape a sprig of rosemary to my monitor as simple potpourri. The sprigs alternately turn powdery white or filthy black depending on what spores land there first. Even when it's indoors with A/C and air filters.

quote:

my random amazon brand ("COSORI") was like 40 bucks and did a good job on tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc last season
This one? That's a lot better price than I expected.

quote:

Vacuum sealing and freezing also works well if you don't want them frozen in oil.
I have a chamber vacuum sealer and might try that. I don't like freezing them in oil, but a dry vacuum seal might work.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bagheera posted:

This one? That's a lot better price than I expected.

yup

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there a recommended food storage container brand that’s microwave safe for reheating? We have a pyrex (lower case) set that works well enough, but I might as well check for better options before doubling up on everything.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Glass Ikea 365 with the plastic lids is what I use. Cheap and cheerful. I have porridge microwaved in it every morning. (They also do glass, and bamboo lids)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 2, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is there a recommended food storage container brand that’s microwave safe for reheating? We have a pyrex (lower case) set that works well enough, but I might as well check for better options before doubling up on everything.

Everything I've seen is that as long as it isn't plastic, you're fine. Some family of mine swears by Anchor Hocking, but I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have Snapware and don't like them because the (plastic) lids fail at the "hinge" (which is just a bendy plastic bit). My favorite are some Ziploc branded with green lids, but last I checked, they were discontinued :rip:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anchor Hocking red plastic lids suck. We are down to 0 that haven't cracked beyond use. I am torn between buying replacement lids for $10 or replacing them altogether - I hate wasting the glass bowl portion but also hate giving these assholes replacement parts revenue.

We have Pyrex glass with blue lids that seem like identical designs but the lids last twice as long. Still annoying to replace but not as bad.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife and I got Glasslock containers at Costco back in 2010 and they still work like we bought them.

The only damage was I tried to take out the rubber gasket on one and damaged it so that one would leak if I tilted it upside down.

Highly recommended!

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Glasslock-11292-18-Piece-Assorted-Container/dp/B00LN810PM

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

does anyone have a waffle-maker they love?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mostly enjoy this because it's a multi-tasker. It does about as well as the type at hotel breakfast stations / my college dining hall, so I suppose it's good enough!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bagheera posted:

I live in swampy Florida, where loads of fungus, mold, midges, and other things will ruin anything left to dry, even herbs. I sometimes tape a sprig of rosemary to my monitor as simple potpourri. The sprigs alternately turn powdery white or filthy black depending on what spores land there first. Even when it's indoors with A/C and air filters.

It does sound like that land is cursed and no one should live there.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
It took me hours, but the toaster I bought at the thrift store is mostly polished.

Think it's a 1957.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s very pretty

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Has anyone used an induction cooktop for something other than boiling water? Saute? Seering? Wok? I always wanted to go back to a gas range, but the air pollution in the house is not gonna jive with my cat dad life. Im on a glass top electric and its mostly fine, but im planning a future kitchen remodel and im fascinated with this magnet cooking. Im a former line cook, but i dont expect the btu's a grill or commercial gas range can throw. How quick does a pan cool when you turn it off?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

Has anyone used an induction cooktop for something other than boiling water? Saute? Seering? Wok? I always wanted to go back to a gas range, but the air pollution in the house is not gonna jive with my cat dad life. Im on a glass top electric and its mostly fine, but im planning a future kitchen remodel and im fascinated with this magnet cooking. Im a former line cook, but i dont expect the btu's a grill or commercial gas range can throw. How quick does a pan cool when you turn it off?

Sorry are you asking if you can cook on an induction hob? Pans just get hot like normal, woks can be a bit funny because really only the part in contact will get hot. My induction hob is 2800w which is around 10,000 btus but you have to remember induction jobs are about 75% efficient at transferring heat compared to 40% for gas so you can get a pan insanely hot very quickly.

The hob itself cools quickly because notionally it doesn't get hot but then pans cool normally, they're just hot pans.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 6, 2024

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Wok cooking will suck just as much as on any other electric hob, since there is no direct heating of the sides. I still do it with a flat bottomed wok and some help from a gas burner.
It's a big upgrade over normal electric coils and the heating is just as responsive as cooking with gas. In "boost" mode my range puts out 3.7kw which I only use for heating up water or preheat a pan, since anything else would burn way too quick.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah cooking on the boost is pretty tricky. Mine has a thing where you can tell it to boost to a specific number. So like boost to 7, so if you know what that temp is in that pan then it's good.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I've got the stainless duxtop, and mainly use a Griswold Hearthstone skillet I love the shape of. The rest of the time I've been using a Le Creuset dutch oven for a bunch of stuff that I can set the timer and let it cook.

I rarely even use the coil top any more, mostly it's just a place the huge skillet sits full of onions.

Once you figure out the best ways to use the more accurate temp or power settings it's awesome.

I've been on the look out for a non aluminum sticky rice pot for it, because thats all I use the coils for at this point.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I've got the stainless duxtop, and mainly use a Griswold Hearthstone skillet I love the shape of. The rest of the time I've been using a Le Creuset dutch oven for a bunch of stuff that I can set the timer and let it cook.

First glance: drat how hot did you get that thing?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

quote:

bit funny because really only the part in contact will get hot

Newer Vollrath induction hobs are supposed to be able to reach out to the sides of a wok, even while flicking it. My older Vollrath hob works for carbon steel pans about an inch off the glass and didn't advertise wok sorcery. If my current hob ever breaks I'll probably switch to that model which also has a thermocouple (I doubt it, it's been 9 years and the only issue it's had was serviceable for $20, most of the parts in it are easily replaceable except the microcontroller (wouldn't be able to get the firmware in there), but I haven't tried calling them to see if it's available on it's own).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

On my induction cooktop, my carbon steel wok definitely gets a little heating up part of the sides of the wok, if I put it on the big burner (6" flat bottom on a 13" burner)

but yeah it's still not as good as a wok on gas. but it's okay. A heavy wok will also help with heat distribution.

All other cooking tasks on induction are way better than radiant electric imo, very glad I upgraded.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I switched to induction last fall after a kitchen remodel and it's really the best. I like it better than gas, honestly. It's so efficient and I'm not heating up my entire kitchen while cooking. The cooktop is flat and smooth and insanely easy to keep clean, it's essentially an extension of my countertop since I can place random (non ferrous) things on it and know they can't accidently be heated. You can put paper towels under your pans while cooking to deal with oil splatter, which is awesome. The only downside I've encountered is I had to replace some pans I liked (I went from (cheap) nonstick to carbon steel, so a win in the end honestly) and at low heat settings my range makes a faint ticking sound, which I got used to pretty quickly.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Thank you all for your insights. Exactly what i needed.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It sounds like you're sold on induction, as you should be, and I know you were looking for things it can do other than boiling water, but man. Let me just tell you. Setting down a pot of cold water and having it come to a rolling boil in like three minutes is just SO satisfying.

The responsiveness is excellent, too. Not like radiant electric that takes forever to cool down to a lower temp after you turn the knob - you want it on lower heat? Turn the knob and it's instantly there once the pan itself bleeds away any excess heat.

I will never go back.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is this where we talk about small grills?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How small are we talking? Foreman small?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I love my weber jumbo joe which can easily grill 6-8 burgers and would be big enough to fit a spatchcocked chicken, or indirect cooking of a bigger piece of meat (though you wouldn't want to do a long smoke in it). with the chimney starter you can get it going in about ten minutes. smaller than that I think you want the go-anywhere instead of the 14" smokey joe, for a more portable shape

e: I don't know poo poo about gas grills but would never consider anything other than a weber there

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 15, 2024

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Lawman 0 posted:

Indoor grill would be this thread.

If its outdoor go here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&pagenumber=469&perpage=40

E:
I guess you ask about both in there, but i havent seen indoor grills come up too often beyond a few euro goons tryin to dodge "no smoke or fire" rules at there place of residence.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 15, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Zeroll makes dishers, too, I did NOT know that!
I can get them from Amazon, too, love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeroll-2070-Universal-Designed-Dishwasher/dp/B0002U33R0

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

I recently got a Weber Q1200 and it is very very good

E: The first thing I did was get a hose to adapt 5/20lb gas tanks cos it's hosed up to the use the 1lb ones if you don't have to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the Q1200, use the 20lb tank adapter and it’s great. I also have an after-market griddle plate for it. I just wish there was a rack to hold the tank so that I could move it around.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Well if we are gonna roll with it I was thinking of what would be appropriate for a small apartment patio. Can't be too close to the building though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Fyi, Lots of apartments/condos don't allow propane bbqs on patios. Generally under at least one of the big three reasons: smoke in upper floors, open flames/fire hazard, and/or you aren't allowed to bring propane tanks indoors (there's probably a small size that's ok though like those single use 2lb ones).