Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

So Poltergeist becomes “Spielberg or Hooper?” when it’s just both guys making a film.

https://youtu.be/S-Ph5eTtoWQ?si=lNmQLjgvpCCQ2s0n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
TCM 2 is one of the greatest horror sequels ever made

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When he got his Cannon deal, he did Lifeforce, Invaders From Mars, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II in a two year span.

It's crazy how that run in some ways killed his career too, because TCM 2 was really supposed to be the "Ok fine, I'll give you what you want" movie that they'd offered him the contract for in the first place. And he did not give them what they wanted at all with TCM 2.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They're moving forward with more Exorcists. Mike Flanagan in talks for the next one https://deadline.com/2024/05/mike-flanagan-in-talks-to-direct-next-exorcist-movie-blumhouse-universal-1235903358/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do one every year for a decade, like Saw

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Whatever anybody may want to say about TV Flanagan (I ignore it* because it's all been perfect imo), Film Flanagan, man

Oculus
Hush
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Doctor Sleep

all in a 6 year span. goddamn do I talk someone up for a while if they have that kind of fantastic run. Especially with two of those in the same year!

*And I’ll continue to ignore it it seems. This is the only place I’ve seen be anywhere near so negative about him or modern horror lol; I’ll never get it, nor do I want to. The future and present are just as bright (if not moreso) than the past, easily

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 3, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Whatever anybody may want to say about TV Flanagan (I ignore it because it's all been perfect imo), Film Flanagan, man

Oculus
Hush
Doctor Sleep

all in a 6 year span. goddamn do I talk someone up for a while if they have that kind of fantastic run. Especially with two of those in the same year!

i think we are from different planets because i would give all those movies a big fat "meh"

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

i think we are from different planets because i would give all those movies a big fat "meh"

yeah i actually thought you were making GBS threads on him lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
new movie of the month's up

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

with the SOTAR translation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Usi2glLDyw

i need to catch up myself, haven't watch the lizard one yet

e: holy poo poo i just checked the discord and saw people talking about a manga version lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5pi6wKSvTu/?img_index=1

Oh, wow. I started skimming through the episodes I'd already seen , and I knew those were a bad translation, but not that bad. Some parts stuff is completely wrong in every way. The girl confessing to being a bully in this translation was about her being possessed by a blob in the one I watched. I"m questioning if I was really following along at all now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Flubby posted:

The girl confessing to being a bully in this translation was about her being possessed by a blob in the one I watched.

Huh.... That must really change the emotional care of that episode...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Flubby posted:

Oh, wow. I started skimming through the episodes I'd already seen , and I knew those were a bad translation, but not that bad. Some parts stuff is completely wrong in every way. The girl confessing to being a bully in this translation was about her being possessed by a blob in the one I watched. I"m questioning if I was really following along at all now.

This is honestly a big part of why I haven’t started any of them, I’ve heard about different translations and entirely different interpretations depending on where you view them

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SOTAR is the agree upon best subtitles that are public. The issue is they are ESL. The releases are always subtitled in Russian first, and then they do the English subtitles. The grammar is often not great, but the subs for the most part aren't going to be getting details completely wrong either.

Everything else you find is probably MTL with no editing or SOTARs subtitles with the credits removed.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I liked Flanagan when he made breezy 90 minute movies but the TV shows broke him. Haaaaaaated Doctor Sleep.

Tarot is dumb slop. Probably not worth going to a theater but I endorse getting drunk and hitting play on Netflix in ~4 omnths.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Didn't really like Final Chapter tbh. It kinda lost me. Perverted Shiraishi is worst Shiraishi. It's like the kind of stuff I didn't really enjoy about A Record of Sweet Murder, and I loved the first movie. A lot of weird bullshit and callbacks. I like the weird dimensions and effects and Ishikawa Kudo but I'm sorta underwhelmed. Like the whole panty theft sexual assault what the gently caress,
Cool flesh cannon though

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 3, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Didn't really like Final Chapter tbh. It kinda lost me. Perverted Shiraishi is worst Shiraishi. It's like the kind of stuff I didn't really enjoy about A Record of Sweet Murder, and I loved the first movie. A lot of weird bullshit and callbacks. I like the weird dimensions and effects and Ishikawa Kudo but I'm sorta underwhelmed. Like the whole panty theft sexual assault what the gently caress,
Cool flesh cannon though

eeeeesh i've put off watching the last two as a treat but now it sounds like i may as well stop here

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The perverted bits can be easily fast forwarded through with little lost imo. It's bad but at least it only lasts for a short bit

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I"m at a loss, honestly. I binged the show. Ep 1 had such restraint. The only time you got to see the slit mouth woman without the mask it was dark and grainy. That final shot as they go out the door was creepy. I was pretty excited to get X-files with yokai. Restraint went out the window at the end of episode 4 and on. Effects in broad daylight. I'm not even talking dated cg or bad practical. Those worm creatures look like they were animated in a paint program. I could have pinched myself when green snake bottem Kudo had a kaiju battle with smokey giant woman-demon. It's not like I wasn't entertained. It's certainly a spectacle of a sort. It just had such promise as an episodic show with a real feeling of dread.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 3, 2024

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Whatever anybody may want to say about TV Flanagan (I ignore it* because it's all been perfect imo), Film Flanagan, man

Oculus
Hush
Doctor Sleep

*And I’ll continue to ignore it it seems. This is the only place I’ve seen be anywhere near so negative about him or modern horror lol; I’ll never get it, nor do I want to. The future and present are just as bright (if not moreso) than the past, easily

Frankly, I've never met a Flanagan joint I haven't enjoyed. He creates VIBES and I'm here for his output.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flubby posted:

I"m at a loss, honestly. I binged the show. Ep 1 had such restraint. The only time you got to see the slit mouth woman without the mask it was dark and grainy. That final shot as they go out the door was creepy. I was pretty excited to get X-files with yokai. Restraint went out the window at the end of episode 4 and on. Effects in broad daylight. I'm not even talking dated cg or bad practical. Those worm creatures look like they were animated in a paint program. I could have pinched myself when green snake bottem Kudo had a kaiju battle with smokey giant woman-demon. It's not like I wasn't entertained. It's certainly a spectacle of a sort. It just had such promise as an episodic show with a real feeling of dread.

Yeah episode 4 is one of the best things I’ve ever seen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

How the gently caress is there a new Russell Crowe exorcism movie coming out that is not a sequel to "The Pope's Exorcist"?!?!?

Don't worry, we're getting that too :getin: https://twitter.com/PodKatz/status/1785827304213745886

Levantine posted:

Frankly, I've never met a Flanagan joint I haven't enjoyed. He creates VIBES and I'm here for his output.

:yeah: Only ones I haven't seen are Absentia and Before I Wake. Liked Gerald's Game, loved everything else, and Doctor Sleep, Bly Manor and Fall of Usher are all-time favs of mine

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Whatever anybody may want to say about TV Flanagan (I ignore it* because it's all been perfect imo), Film Flanagan,

man that movie is SO much better than "sequel to a kids toy tie-in movie" ought to be

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Fall of the House of Usher was the first Flanagan thing I really disliked. Even so, you had killer performances from Mark Hamill and Carl Lumbly, so it's not all bad. I just was really struggling to finish it by the end, and I'm someone who watched Midnight Mass over the course of 2 days, Hill House in like a day and a half, etc. I'm hoping Life of Chuck is good, I'm curious just how you turn that short story into a movie.

My Dad cannot watch movies about exorcisms because he was raised Catholic and his great-uncle supposedly performed a real exorcism on a kid and shared that story with my then 8-year old Dad and scarred him for life.

But he loved Pope's Exorcist and has watched it 3 or 4 times on Netflix. I'm happy he has his own little horror franchise building.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shrecknet posted:

man that movie is SO much better than "sequel to a kids toy tie-in movie" ought to be

I think a lot of Flanagan's success has to do with his casting. He has his favorites and they all are really good at what they do. Henry Thomas has been such a workhorse for him and is always great. I feel like it would have been easy to be real lazy since there were less than zero expectations for a Ouija sequel, but they went and made an actual movie instead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

:yeah: Only ones I haven't seen are Absentia and Before I Wake. Liked Gerald's Game, loved everything else, and Doctor Sleep, Bly Manor and Fall of Usher are all-time favs of mine

Both Absentia and Before I Wake are worth watching if you like his other output. Absentia is a bit rougher around the edges but still a good watch.

e: whoops, sorry for the double post

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The perverted bits can be easily fast forwarded through with little lost imo. It's bad but at least it only lasts for a short bit
This is absolutely true. I should say, id had a couple beers and I was just overall disappointed. Perverted Shiraishi is the worst though. It's why I really wish I could just tweak some stuff about A Record of Sweet Murder.
It's just that I loved the Most Terrifying Movie so much that I was shocked at how much of the movie was just kinda eh for me (when it wasn't outright offensive).

Similarly got disappointed straying into 2000s Hooper. 2005's Mortuary has solid ratings on average (3 outta 5) but it's this 2000s gray drab thing that feels like it lacks the magic and eye for composition and color of stuff like Spontaneous Combustion and Invaders From Mars. I've been spoiled, I know. Not terrible but it's forgettable imo.
It feels like a lot of horror masters hit the 2000s and started having trouble. I guess a combination of them getting old as gently caress and mainstream post-9/11 era horror just having lame rear end vibes for a while? You get Carpenter, Craven, Hooper (though I still plan to check out some more of his later stuff), I feel like Raimi was the only one that gave me something with Drag Me to Hell and he's younger anyway.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 3, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Cool flesh cannon though

Yeah the sexual assault bits are the one part that keeps me fulling recommending Koji Shiraishi found footage wholeheartedly to everyone I meet. In a way it does feel like a testament for how much I love his stuff that for the most part I can look past that, but it can get really rough.

Overall Final Chapter does feel like a weaker one even without that yeah. I personally love all the callbacks and the introduction of the Koji multiverse and the bits with Shohei Eno actually made me tear up in places, but as a whole it just kinda... lacks a really good connective tissue. Ideas I like in a very messy entry.

Flubby posted:

Episode 4 is the best one, smh...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Overall Final Chapter does feel like a weaker one even without that yeah. I personally love all the callbacks and the introduction of the Koji multiverse and the bits with Shohei Eno actually made me tear up in places, but as a whole it just kinda... lacks a really good connective tissue. Ideas I like in a very messy entry.

Part of it for me is I'd watched Occult and the first four episodes of the series ages ago, so a lot of the time i was just like Huh Wah Who

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 3, 2024

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

CelticPredator posted:

Minor chucky spoilers

The Horror Thread: Forget it Jake, it’s Chuckytown

Watched this last night and yeah, it was pretty great.

I really hope we get a season 4, I really enjoy this show and I think they've hit the perfect vibes between humor and horror. Plus it's a loving treat to get so much Brad Douriff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I liked Flanagan when he made breezy 90 minute movies but the TV shows broke him. Haaaaaaated Doctor Sleep.

I usually love or hate what he does without a lot between. Dr. Sleep had an insanely harrowing, terrifying abduction and murder of a child that was wrapped with boring, plodding Stephen King mythos and Flanagan familial trauma.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nothing else in Usher could live up to that club scene, but if your show's going to peak early that's an insane peak to do it with.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I liked the part where Carla Gugino was acting like a monkey.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't understand liking Flanagan enough to make that list but then leaving out Absentia

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah the sexual assault bits are the one part that keeps me fulling recommending Koji Shiraishi found footage wholeheartedly to everyone I meet. In a way it does feel like a testament for how much I love his stuff that for the most part I can look past that, but it can get really rough.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that the material is necessary to the movies, but kojis inclusion of it in final chapter and record of a Sweet Murder feel like him working through ideas on the cultures attitudes of sexual issues and the voyeurism/fetishism aspects of those topics. The panty thing especially plays into the issue of men violating women in that manner that folks even internationally have seen reports on over the years. It gets tricky because he's having the character he's playing do it so save Ichikawa and Kudo, but i do think Koji has a fascination with people doing awful things for supposedly righteous reasons even though those things are a bit self serving (the guy in record of a sweet murder gets the girl he likes back and koji gets his paranormal crew back and gets to keep hunting phenomena to be rich/famous)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

alf_pogs posted:

yeah some people hated the ending of Occult because of the FX but his consistent use of wild cheap cg is terrific. nightmarish Lovecraftian creatures from beyond manifesting as looney tunes Japanese Monty Python is way more fun than 90% of horror visuals

they're objectively wrong. This Is Hell is iconic and incredible

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It rules

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheMopeSquad posted:

I liked the part where Carla Gugino was acting like a monkey.

Honestly the high point for the show for me. That and Flanagan's wife giving a deranged monologue about how she's a ceiling fan.

A lot of Falagan doesn't work for me, his TV stuff is mostly a miss for me. But I liked more than not of Midnignt Mass (not the dealing death monologues episode though, fuuuck) and Usher.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So sometime this week The Coffee Table finally went up for purchase on Amazon VOD, didn't notice until today and checked it out. Saw a friend on social compare it to When Evil Lurks, and it's not anywhere near that relentless or bloody. But drat does it get dark, and drat does it linger in that darkness for over half the film successfully. Kinda don't even know how to begin broaching talking about it outside of that or spoilers

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Nothing else in Usher could live up to that club scene, but if your show's going to peak early that's an insane peak to do it with.

Kinda feel that way about the original Poe tbh

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all" gives me chills just typing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Open Source Idiom posted:

A lot of Falagan doesn't work for me, his TV stuff is mostly a miss for me. But I liked more than not of Midnignt Mass (not the dealing death monologues episode though, fuuuck) and Usher.

I really liked Hill House, Usher, and somewhat Bly, but definitely disliked Midnight Mass a lot. The monologues killed it for me but also just the pedestrian story. Also kinda broke when the cop was able to deliver a full monologue in a town meeting full of racist Massachusetts islanders without being shouted down at all. Made all of it feel like Flanagan had something to say instead of creating an interesting, nuanced story.

Oculus, Hush, Ouiji, Before I Wake, and Gerald's Game were all pretty solid movies but Absentia and Dr. Sleep, ugh. I just don't prefer his meandering creations over his ones that seem more focused. It feels like everything he does has some holy crap that was awesome moments and if he could just create an entire film or TV series like that he'd be a slam dunk whenever I see his name pop up.