Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Math You posted:

With all the orange seal love going around, I gotta ask. Original, or Endurance?
Subzero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

resident posted:

Is Hollywood hill the same as heart attack hill?

Hollywood hill is the general area. Heart attack hill is the route up to the top along the tolt pipeline

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Math You posted:

With all the orange seal love going around, I gotta ask. Original, or Endurance?

endurance does seem to last longer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

resident posted:

Is Hollywood hill the same as heart attack hill?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

tried to ride up this on a relatively traditional gravel bike. it did not work

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

thinking about riding my bike today

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hey same

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

rode my bike tonight; would recommend!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's not that Stan's isn't eh fine / perfectly acceptable / quite seemingly ok. It's just that Orange Seal will blow your mind one day when you decide to switch. It's like comparing a Popeye's Chicken Sandwich to a McChicken.

1) It seals punctures better, especially at very high pressures
2) Tires hold air better
3) It weighs less when dried out
4) It's easier to clean/remove.

I use Orange Seal endurance, and been super happy with it, but I understand that Stan's lasts a lot longer before drying out. Months longer. So, lower maintenance.

Not important to me, but might be for some people.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
We're getting rain dumped on us so I'll ride on Zwift.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Ok for $300 more I found a pretty good condition Eddie Merckx (sp?) corsa extra in 7-11 livery (red with a partially green down tube) and it's got period correct dura ace AND it's got the Columbus SLX tubing which... Ought to get it under 20lbs? Or drat close

Paint has a couple of extremely minor chips, probably can fix with touch up paint. Chrome is in great shape. It's the correct 56cm frame size I prefer

Probably going to pull the trigger on that

After three different sob stories the owners wife has agreed to sell it to me instead of some other guy

Retrogrouch bike shopping is getting alarmingly cutthroat in the bay area

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

tried to ride up this on a relatively traditional gravel bike. it did not work

big same

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hadlock posted:

After three different sob stories the owners wife has agreed to sell it to me instead of some other guy

Every time I see a marketplace posting with way too much sob story about why its being sold its a scammer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No, I mean, I was in line behind some other guy to buy it, but due to my sob story(ies), they've agreed to sell it to me instead

Some person was selling a really nice metallic dark green vintage tourer with the brand new kryptonite mega chain (fuhgettaboutit?) lock with the key and the post said they'd forgotten the combination. The kind of $160 lock you buy when you really love your bike. They got really mad when I told them selling stolen goods wasn't very nice and that they should rethink their decisions :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I just found out that my borough has plans to extend the Montour Trail basically to my front door in the next few years

holy poo poo if I don't have to load the bikes onto a bike rack to travel the ~2miles to the trailhead without dying I am gonna be ecstatic

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Nice! I've always loved those 7-Eleven Merckx frames. Classic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Having a bit of a weird experience with my rear brake on a carbon rim wheel. I'm getting what I can only describe as pulsing, where at a certain point of the wheels rotation I suddently get much more braking force without pulling on the lever any harder, then it releases until it spins back round again.

I thought it would be something like the wheel rim was bulging at that spot so it was much wider, but I've had the rim in my wheel stand and its about as true a wheel as I've ever had and theres no obvious spot where its much wider. The wheels are pretty much brand new, but the difference in braking force for like 10% of the wheel vs the rest is massive.

Anyone heard or seen anything like that before? Its on a Propel with the stupid aero V brakes that dont work very well as well which Im sure isnt helping.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Having a bit of a weird experience with my rear brake on a carbon rim wheel. I'm getting what I can only describe as pulsing, where at a certain point of the wheels rotation I suddently get much more braking force without pulling on the lever any harder, then it releases until it spins back round again.

I thought it would be something like the wheel rim was bulging at that spot so it was much wider, but I've had the rim in my wheel stand and its about as true a wheel as I've ever had and theres no obvious spot where its much wider. The wheels are pretty much brand new, but the difference in braking force for like 10% of the wheel vs the rest is massive.

Anyone heard or seen anything like that before? Its on a Propel with the stupid aero V brakes that dont work very well as well which Im sure isnt helping.

My first guess would be contamination, but assuming you've already cleaned the rim with isopropyl alcohol, and the brakepads too?

I had that with my old rim brake wheels but that was caused by the ceramic coating wearing unevenly.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I heard something about how one should use washers when screwing on a water bottle holder onto a carbon frame? Otherwise, you can risk damage - is this true?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

This hill is a beast. I set my 3 minute power PR going up it…incredibly slowly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I’ve encountered similar on certain pairs of wheels. I’d double check the braking track, in one case there was a bit of mastic residue that would make the pads interact differently with the wheel. It would have less bite so you’d subconsciously grab more brake and then it would grab harder after it rotated past that point.

You can flip the bike upside down and spin the wheel then apply brakes to see if you can narrow down the exact spot it’s being wonky.

Double check spoke tension too, especially on a new set of wheels. You could also try different toe in angles just to see if that does anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Busy Bee posted:

I heard something about how one should use washers when screwing on a water bottle holder onto a carbon frame? Otherwise, you can risk damage - is this true?

Maybe if there’s no clearance, and the bottle cage would rub the paint. But usually the threads are molded to sit proud of the frame surface.

If you have a delicate bottle cage, you might want to use washers on top of the cage, cuz at least one of the holes will be slotted to accommodate different mount spacing, and a small bolt head will have little contact area with the slot.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok, I am finally at the conclusion that french bicycles are no good. I mean mine works just well, but the brakes still suck and they can not be remedied for many reasons.

So a bike frame with normal standards would be nice.
- Like 60-62cm size
- kickstand plate
- fits 30-40mm tyres with fenders
- long chainstay (peugeot has 475mm currently)
- standard seatpost size
- standard bb
- standard fork/stem sizes
- standard brake mounting options
- mounts for fenders and racks
- lots of mounting places in general

Salsa Marrakesh and Surly Long Haul/Disc Trucker would fit the bill perhaps. Marrakesh has some weird rear setup which means regular rear racks don't work, so that sucks. Surly misses a kickstand plate, but it has some weird adapter availabe for kickstands. The chainstay is short. Why no one makes perfect bikes for my narrow needs :argh:

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/legacy/long_haul_trucker
https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2019_marrakesh_frameset

Are there any other options? Everything seems to be quite expensive, around 1000€ for just the frame.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 3, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

- long chainstay (peugeot has 475mm currently)
Few frames, even touring bikes, have that long a chainstay. Rivendell Atlantis? That has 525. But super pricy.

quote:

- standard brake mounting options
Disc only?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The biggest compromises on a modern frame are going to be the kickstand plate and the xxxtra loooong chainstays. Maybe Soma or Velo Orange? Or a Japanese-made 80's touring frame like a Univega Gran Turismo? Or a Trek 520 (new or vintage)?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do people manage to avoid hitting pannier bags with short chainstays? Where do they store their pump if not between the rear fender and seat tube? :v: With my Peugeot there is barely enough room between my shoes and bags.

E: here is a picture:

Do people just drop their bike in ground when stopping somewhere when they don’t have a kickstand?

Good brakes with fenders are a pain. Disc brakes would be easier, but perhaps V-brakes work. They are quite rare though, everyone uses disc brakes for a good reason these days.

Rivendell’s Sam has enough chainstay. But it is unclear if they use a standard 27,2/30,9mm seat post. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/7343/files/RBW_Bicycle_Geometries_Feb_2024.pdf?v=1706824082

I asked from vsf if they sell frames only and if they have more specs about frames. Tx-800 might work. https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/katalog/tx-800-shimano-cues-22-gang-disc-1004-2024

Soma doesn’t apparently do kickstands and velo orange didn’t seem to have anything suitable :I

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 3, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Found a 63cm seat tube / 60cm top tube Peugeot traveling bike. Original, nothing done probably ever. Everything except headset bearing surfaces are hosed. The parts and rims suck. Needs new everything except maybe brakes, fenders and cargo racks.

I paid 90€ for the bike, I knew it was poo poo. I bought it anyways because life is not exciting enough :shrug:

Maybe get a different rear rack? Zip tie some wooden doweling/rod to the rack and see how much longer it needs to be. You could also epoxy some steel/aluminum rod to your existing rack at the correct length, using small sections of rod as stand-offs

Axiom makes/did make a rack that went through the rear skewer, then had a ~3" finger that pointed rear, giving you extra clearance

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Streamliner-Road-Cycle-Black/dp/B0025UCXEO/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Ihmemies posted:

How do people manage to avoid hitting pannier bags with short chainstays? Where do they store their pump if not between the rear fender and seat tube? :v: With my Peugeot there is barely enough room between my shoes and bags.

E: here is a picture:

Do people just drop their bike in ground when stopping somewhere when they don’t have a kickstand?

Good brakes with fenders are a pain. Disc brakes would be easier, but perhaps V-brakes work. They are quite rare though, everyone uses disc brakes for a good reason these days.

Rivendell’s Sam has enough chainstay. But it is unclear if they use a standard 27,2/30,9mm seat post. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/7343/files/RBW_Bicycle_Geometries_Feb_2024.pdf?v=1706824082

I asked from vsf if they sell frames only and if they have more specs about frames. Tx-800 might work. https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/katalog/tx-800-shimano-cues-22-gang-disc-1004-2024

Soma doesn’t apparently do kickstands and velo orange didn’t seem to have anything suitable :I

Get a different rack that pushes the bags back so the front of the bag is roughly in-line with the rear axle.

And yes pretty much anywhere populated I can just lean my bike against a wall, fence, rack, homeless person, etc. Anywhere else, sure, gently lay the bike on the ground. The only points of contact will be the bars and the edge of my left pedal.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hmm. So a shorter chainstay with a rack which holds the stuff further back would then work?

Pity the euro manufacturers don’t sell just framesets like many USA manufacturers do.

Proper Kickstand mount is a non-negotiable feature this time :I

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 3, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only downside of a longer rack is that without you on it, and a heavy load in the pannier behind the rear axle, the load can be heavier than the bike and cause the front wheel to come off the grind

Not super likely on a mild steel 70s French bike but, something to consider if you're bringing home a bunch of beer for a party

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a tubus cargo classic and I can move my bags back/forward several inches. I heel strike in the farthest forward position but look how long this rack is:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Is your pannier an extra wide model? My Checkpoint only has 435mm chainstays and my size 45 feet are close but still don’t touch my pannier. I have a Topeak Explorer rack that doesn’t seem to have any specifically “extra” setback for the bag mount.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The only downside of a longer rack is that without you on it, and a heavy load in the pannier behind the rear axle, the load can be heavier than the bike and cause the front wheel to come off the grind

Not super likely on a mild steel 70s French bike but, something to consider if you're bringing home a bunch of beer for a party

Surely they didn't actually make a bike out of mild steel :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What do you call the grade of steel Huffy uses

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just learned that the Columbus tubing company is not in fact based in Ohio.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Hadlock posted:

Flaccid

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Axiom racks have these extension tabs if you really need the clearance. They’re technically for going to the QR but you can go to an eyelet if that ekes out some more distance.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
All this talk about front derailleurs got me in the mood to do some basic bike maintenance today. Mostly, I was just cleaning stuff, lubing stuff, making slight adjustments to rear derailleurs, etc. But, on my road bike, the front derailleur has been fussy. It'll happily sit in the bigger cog, and it'll just as happily go to the smaller one. But, the trip back up works only about 82.7% of the time. So, I watched some videos, and set to work. After all, it's just a minor adjustment.

I'll get the bike back from the shop next week.

I borked it up really bad, but when I un-borked it as much as I could, a new problem showed up in the rear derailleur, and yep, that hanger is bent, probably from the crash last year. It was happy to mostly keep working, but as soon as I started really messing with stuff, it decided to have fun with me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure you have to make a bike out of at least basic high tensile steel because mild is guaranteed to fatigue and crack, but I don't know jack about poo poo, if anyone knows more I'd love to read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I will probably ride my bike tomorrow. May rain though. My wife is not a fan of riding in the rain.