Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you're terrified of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I didn't flip back to previous pages on the shapeshifter chapters because Senshi would be disappointed in me for taking the easy way out :colbert: now instead I got Chilchuck disappointed in me for not using all my tools

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

MiracleFlare posted:

I didn't flip back to previous pages on the shapeshifter chapters because Senshi would be disappointed in me for taking the easy way out :colbert: now instead I got Chilchuck disappointed in me for not using all my tools

Welcome to my life. I can't do poo poo without getting yelled at. Art does, indeed, imitate life.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

to be honest i think if you're not looking for it, the extra hand grab might not completely register even in anime form. it's easy for your brain to miss those things imo

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think it's much more obvious in the anime due to camera movement. The motion gives it more clear connective tissue; in manga or comics the gutters between panels break it up up enough that it can be hard to notice at a glance when something like that slips in.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The anime connected dots for me this week too:

The manga shows him handling the pelt too but only in one panel so I didn't put it together.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ I never really caught that, interesting. We don't see him physically holding it later on or packing it away so it isn't really clear that he took it.

NmareBfly posted:

I think it's much more obvious in the anime due to camera movement. The motion gives it more clear connective tissue; in manga or comics the gutters between panels break it up up enough that it can be hard to notice at a glance when something like that slips in.

You also have to sit and watch at the speed the anime is showing at which means you can't just flip to the next page without seeing it.

Incidentally being able to flip past small details is how I can tolerate a lot of rom com manga

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

KING IN THE NORTH

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Randallteal posted:

The anime connected dots for me this week too:

The manga shows him handling the pelt too but only in one panel so I didn't put it together.

Are you implying that's the shapeshifter's pelt? As far as I could tell, the shapeshifter's head was blasted to oblivion, so that seems unlikely. Also, the shapeshifter has multiple tails, while that pelt only has one. I'm thinking that's just a regular wolf, unfortunately.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
it's the pelt of monster laios that sloughed off him (they found normal-sized chunks on the beach while searching for him in chapter 92); you can see the feathers from the eagle head there and in later panels

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ah, that's fair. My b.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, those pelts are from the animals that made up chimera-laios.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love how badass he looks in it, though. Everyone writes Laios off as some goofball, but no, guy puts some thought into things!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I love how badass he looks in it, though. Everyone writes Laios off as some goofball, but no, guy puts some thought into things!

I really feel like his time with the lion fundamentally changed something about him. He has always been clever and inventive, but he gets an incredible boost in social skills right after that fight. The toast is an obvious one where he finally learned to shut the gently caress up, but the conversation with the Elves over Marcille was an even clearer example.

Essentially I feel like he took some of the lion's skills at diplomacy, deception, and just physical presence along with his desires.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe he just started thinking about those things more?

Laios has always had formidable observational skills, and I don't think Kabru was exactly wrong when he characterized Laios' inability to read the room as a character flaw rather than a disability. Once he made up his mind to pay more attention to people, he got better at it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I mean, we saw that in this episode. He completely nailed the doppleganger setup, even ferreting out his own mistakes. When he tries, he can figure things out about people, too.

It's just it's rare for him to recognize this is something where he should try.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe he just started thinking about those things more?

Laios has always had formidable observational skills, and I don't think Kabru was exactly wrong when he characterized Laios' inability to read the room as a character flaw rather than a disability. Once he made up his mind to pay more attention to people, he got better at it.

Agreed to some extent; we have seen him improving across the length of the whole series. He just went from Laios the guy who was obsessed with monsters above all else to Laios the amateur statesman within like an hour. That's a pretty sharp turnaround.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chiasaur11 posted:

When he tries, he can figure things out about people, too.

The funny part is that the things he figures out about people all stem from their relationship to monsters. The implication is that he sort of started working backwards from the monsters to get new insight into people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I really feel like his time with the lion fundamentally changed something about him. He has always been clever and inventive, but he gets an incredible boost in social skills right after that fight. The toast is an obvious one where he finally learned to shut the gently caress up, but the conversation with the Elves over Marcille was an even clearer example.

Essentially I feel like he took some of the lion's skills at diplomacy, deception, and just physical presence along with his desires.

No, he's always had that. He just doesn't give a poo poo. Like there's part of his personality that is very much "Oooh trains!", sure, and I'm glad people are enjoying identifying with that.....but there's a part of his personality, deep down, that is just a biiit misanthropic. He doesn't really like people, as a whole, because of the poo poo he's been through. Hence the association with monsters, and wanting to be one. Because then he's not a person. After the lion and seeing what his responsibilities are he learns to put that aside, and then you see what he was always capable of. And then he's generally happy and outgoing, because he gets to build a nation that fits his ideals, for everyone.

But he was always capable of being that guy, he just didn't want to.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I think my favorite part of the ending arc was the final panel of the manga ended on him talking to a kobold and orc child about why he finds food so important while standing amongst a rolling valley golden with grain. It shows how good of a king he turned out to be just by being Laios.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In his kingdom, everyone gets three square meals a day and a full nights sleep. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

per the website, tickets are available at the door so long as the pre-sale tickets aren't sold out, but doesn't specify if you can get a ticket at the door for anything other than same-day entry.

the event's on every day from 4/27 through to next Monday, so you could probably go any day between now and then and see if they either have same-day tickets or will let you book ahead? Solamachi's got a lot of fun stuff in the complex - you could go up the Skytree or to the aquarium etc. so it wouldn't be a wasted trip even if the expo's a bust.

Literally on my way over to Solamachi now to attend the expo, so I guess I’ll find out! Super super excited!! :dance::dance::dance:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Literally on my way over to Solamachi now to attend the expo, so I guess I’ll find out! Super super excited!! :dance::dance::dance:

You know that you are now obligated to provide the thread with trip pics and a report.

:colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Man, this is heartbreaking. And my flight back is tomorrow too so this was my last chance. :smith:

E: Okay, after talking with the staff I have a crazy plan. My flight is at 2 pm, so I will be at Solamachi again by 9:30 am tomorrow with my luggage to be at the ticket counter right as it opens at 10 am. Go in, enjoy the exhibit for an hour, then be at Haneda by 12 pm. Does that sound doable??

And if it's still sold out again, then at least I tried my best and will get to the airport on time anyways. Win-win!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 4, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Man, this is heartbreaking. And my flight back is tomorrow too so this was my last chance. :smith:

E: Okay, after talking with the staff I have a crazy plan. My flight is at 2 pm, so I will be at Solamachi again by 9:30 am tomorrow with my luggage to be at the ticket counter right as it opens at 10 am. Go in, enjoy the exhibit for an hour, then be at Haneda by 12 pm. Does that sound doable??

And if it's still sold out again, then at least I tried my best and will get to the airport on time anyways. Win-win!

Good luck, goon sir!! :patriot:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I literally ran into the building as soon as it opened and I was able to get a ticket at the front of the line! :woop:

Will share pics later!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I literally ran into the building as soon as it opened and I was able to get a ticket at the front of the line! :woop:

Will share pics later!

hell yeah dude

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A little teaser while I'm on my way to the airport:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Congrats! I'm unbelievably jealous.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

as a big time wine guy i wanna drink the dungeon meshi wine so bad

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jerkface posted:

as a big time wine guy i wanna drink the dungeon meshi wine so bad

find out what it's made of first

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Coincidentally I also went to that expo, same day! Didn't realize it was happening while I was in Japan until like, a few days ago, but luckily getting a ticket at the door wasn't too hard.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm heading to Tokyo later this week for a work conference so unfortunately going to just miss the event, but best of luck in getting in before your flight!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've had Japanese style curry for the first time recently and I get it now. I too would devour half my weight in curry, lick the plate, and then fall into a food coma.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

j.curry, whether manually constituted or in block form, lends itself especially well to freestyling with whatever you have on hand. mushrooms? sure. leftover shrimp tempura? nice. apple slices? its been done. the meat of the rabbits that nearly wiped your whole party? now we’re cooking…

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rand Brittain posted:

find out what it's made of first

Getting notes of walking grape, and some background hints of... demi-human!?!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't really like any of the Japanese curry I've tried. I'd much rather have pretty much any other kind of curry.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

japanese curry is honourary white people food with how bland and brown it is

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

Wasn't it adapted from British curry? So, like, literally yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

It doesn't have to be flavorful, just 5% better tasting than all the other food on the market.