Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

spankmeister posted:

When they said Free Kevin Mitnick they meant it. You get one with every phishing test.

I'll take one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not that i recall, but uh spoilers i've never bought an avatar for myself (maybe the very first? idr). or gangtags. this username is also from a random namechange thread...

i guess its just the face in the gif that short circuited my brain

anyway keep up the good work champ

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not that i recall, but uh spoilers i've never bought an avatar for myself (maybe the very first? idr). or gangtags. this username is also from a random namechange thread...

i tried to tackle what should be a very simple question about e-commerce monitoring GmbH "When do they handle revocation of a compromised certificate?": https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1862004#c13

e: also a tiny tiny tiny issue happened: IdenTrust: unintended creation of a Root CA certificate

just a minor thing, it'll be fine till 2027...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Antigravitas posted:

CSR must be included in an .nfo file.

The private signing key is also an x86 executable that prints "YCAPOS BITHC"

Captain Foo posted:

the lmaos will continue until distrust occurs

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Getting "I don't recall" vibes from "we foresee no impact at this time".

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I did not have public key exchanges with that web server

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fins posted:

"Identrust posted:

A full incident report detailing the root cause analysis, corrective actions, and preventive measures will be supplied by May 17, 2027

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Raymond T. Racing posted:

I did not have public key exchanges with that web server

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahaha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:paulie walnuts laugh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

goddamn

best image ever hosted as an SA attachment, maybe?

May 4, 2024
securritee breach

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
locked and loaded... just say the word thread

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

namlosh posted:

locked and loaded... just say the word thread

thread

gonna need you to hack into the Mozilla root store and do the changes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not feeling cheeky enough to post a disabling diff, but maybe if I have a few beers tonight

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Raymond T. Racing posted:

thread

gonna need you to hack into the Mozilla root store and do the changes

I need better grammar... I'm curious to see if anything will break if I keep it like this for a while.

If everyone did the same, wouldn't that be functionally equivalent to (at least one of the roots) distrusting Entrust?

e: grammar again

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namlosh posted:

If everyone did the same, wouldn't that be functionally equivalent to (at least one of the roots) distrusting Entrust?

yes, that change is exactly what would happen in a disabling patch

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

namlosh posted:

I need better grammar... I'm curious to see if anything will break if I keep it like this for a while.

i already checked what places run entrust certs and its nothing important for 99% of the web, unless you're looking into entrust's own sites or specific enterprise customers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hey!

... oh yeah, you're right

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Fool posted:

hey!

... oh yeah, you're right

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
im reading through the e-tugra incident and jfc. what the gently caress, even.

i think this thread found me a new hobby of following the CA Program issues in the mozilla bugzilla. at least its not all total poo poo, just a few excessively awful instances.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

digitalist posted:

:hmmyes:

We'll need some music people for chiptunes

And English majors for understanding whatever the gently caress is going on in here

Double major in English and CS here. This is what we in the biz call "write-only documentation".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

necrotic posted:

im reading through the e-tugra incident and jfc. what the gently caress, even.

i think this thread found me a new hobby of following the CA Program issues in the mozilla bugzilla. at least its not all total poo poo, just a few excessively awful instances.

to some extent, this is the exact purpose of the bugzilla being public

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Double major in English and CS here. This is what we in the biz call "write-only documentation".

:hmmyes: :eng99:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i already checked what places run entrust certs and its nothing important for 99% of the web, unless you're looking into entrust's own sites or specific enterprise customers

And government clients, I know the Canadian govt has a bunch of certs with them, and Quebec, and I'll assume other provincial governments are also in the same boat thanks to public procurement processes which privilege the lowest bid that check the right boxes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

its nothing important for 99% of the web

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's of utmost importance for le web

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

fins posted:

that's the second time-travelling CA in two days, see also the certificate policy of the future!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

:quebec:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been reading this for like 2 hours. Its hard to pull quotes that do it justice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sectigo has a PKI podcast?

https://soundcloud.com/tim-callan/r...=social_sharing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Please Keep Incriminatingyourselves

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Captain Foo posted:

to some extent, this is the exact purpose of the bugzilla being public

yup! one of the things I’m unclear about with the e-tugra case is that the original pen test (in Turkish) has way more issues on the chart than the English translation, and that doesn’t appear to be addressed at all as part of the issue. did I miss something while reading, or was it simply ignored since it was decided to remove them anyway (I think?).

I definitely have a newfound appreciation for the effort put into maintaining trust in this bonkers ecosystem without just jumping to a witch hunt. it shows how a trust ecosystem can work, but also how it can break down.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

sigh i guess i'll start on it from a few months ago ...

e: went through all of the podcasts this year (started from predictions 2024 really), parts i thought were worth noting:
20240326 Root Causes 371 - Bugzilla Bloodbath

quote:

21:07 I can tell you from a little bit of searching that I'm aware of two CAs that have noncompliance problems in the form of these other ones who have not written up bugs yet.
20240415 Root Causes 378 - Why Are Forced Revocations So Difficult

quote:

10:20 And, you know, I was asked a question very directly in last October's, the October 2023 face-to-face by one of the browsers. What are the circumstances under which you would allow a delayed revocation?

And we have a policy at Sectigo, and it is if we determine that there is risk to human health and safety. If there is risk to human health and safety, we will allow a delayed revocation. No other reason.

And so when you look at these large number of CAs, they've got these weak, mealy-mouthed excuses, oh, these guys, they can't get it done, these are important functions that people need, they're things like banks and government agencies. No, that is not sufficient. That is not an okay reason to delay revocation.

That is a CA not following the promise it made when it was given the privilege of being one of the stewards of public trust. And it is a privilege. And these are CAs who are not honouring their part of the bargain.
latest ep also has nice stats on # of delayed revocations by quarter but isn't bringing anything new to the table

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 5, 2024

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Human health and safety are sometimes the responsibility of government agencies though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

Human health and safety are sometimes the responsibility of government agencies though.

Yes, but that would be a relatively straightforward claim for Entrust to make, and they did not

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Yes, but that would be a relatively straightforward claim for Entrust to make, and they did not

yeah of course not. that would require a level of competence in communication they do not appear capable of

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

So I'm reading through the Globaltrust Certification Policy and, from what I understand it's just suppose to state "what" they do, and the Certification Policy Statement is where they demonstrate how they accomplish the what. I guess it makes it pretty dry reading, is there a matrix somewhere I could compare or check boxes to make sure they're at least covering the necessary bases?

quote:

5.1 Physical controls / Bauliche Sicherheitsmaßnahmen
The Trust Services are conducted only in appropriate premises. The details
are as set out in the GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy.

5.1.1 Site location and construction / Standortlage und Bauweise
The management of the CA decides where the Trust Services take place,
taking the requirements of the GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy into
account.

5.1.3 Power and air conditioning / Stromnetz und Klimaanlage
Power and air conditioning are available in sufficient quantity. Details are
given in the GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy.

5.1.4 Water exposures / Gefährdungspotential durch Wasser
The location of components critical to certification is selected so that water
damage is unlikely. Details are provided in the
GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy.

5.1.5 Fire prevention and protection / Brandschutz
Sufficient precautions are made to protect against fire. Details are given in
the GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy.

Fascinating read. Curious to actually get into the meat of the matter, so off I went to find the GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy, shouldn't this be called the Certification Policy Statement? Anyway, then I stumbled on this, which is actually on the first page or so of the Certification Policy document,

quote:

The GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy is not publicly available. / Die GLOBALTRUST Certificate Security Policy ist nicht öffentlich verfügbar

So, no information on what they're actually doing to ensure BR are being met is actually available to the public? Do I need to request it? Is that normal?

This all seems, bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I always had some sense that PKI depending on trusted root CAs was ripe for Bad Things to happen but I didn't expect multiple CAs to have worse security than my grandma's wordpress.