Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Seven Force posted:

Animorphs was based and continues to be even if it ended on a cliffhanger

The ending was great. It’s not even really a cliffhanger, it’s just the conclusion: that’s it, that’s where the story goes. There’s nothing more to say. It’s kind of like The Sopranos in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine four cylinders at the edge of a tray. The first cylinder is grabbed by a toy robot that puts it into a box, thus the second cylinder take the place of the first, the third second, the fourth third, and another cylinder is pushed by a stick to replace the fourth. Tech scams work the same way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first HHGTTG book I read was the third one, because I found it at a used book store with no cover and I had like 2bux to spend on something

The first chapter which is full of "a robot had just met a mattress" and was stomping around in a circle in a swamp saying "bleah" was the funniest thing in the world to me

because I was 13

I later bought and read the rest of the books in order and eventually came to appreciate the actual narrative thing they were doing and of course now I have it all memorized at the expense of actual important things, but at first I was very put out at the fact that the robot was actually a character with a backstory and the mattresses and the globbering were not just funny words this weirdo author was throwing in to be random and hilarious. I actually thought the whole story in the first and second books was actually disappointing because it was so straightforward and normal, and what drew me back in was all the wordplay and tangential musings and the way he played with chapter structure and fonts and stuff (which I've never been able to understand how they would translate to a radio play, because they sure as hell don't translate to a movie)

In conclusion I probably gave myself brain damage as a teenager by buying a book that may have been reported to the publisher as "unsold and destroyed"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
cyber-pinocchio

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Tesla robot walking laps around a huge empty office forever because everyone was fired and nobody told it to stop

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

(which I've never been able to understand how they would translate to a radio play, because they sure as hell don't translate to a movie)
The play was the genesis, the books came after

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

F4rt5 posted:

The play was the genesis, the books came after

Yes I know

When I saw the BBC adaptation (around the same time) when the cops say "yeah he writes the screenplays in crayon" which is in the radio play but not the book, it sounded like a terrible overextended joke that they must have added on. Like why the hell would the cops be dunking on each other in front of the perps to whom they're trying to present a threatening and authoritative front

I was floored when I learned that that script came before the book (and was also the basis of the Infocom game that I played at the same time and found similarly unfunny and full of poorly executed jokes that weren't in the book)

Anyway yes I should have said "translate from a radio play" rather than "to"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 5, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Slartibartfast

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
teh vogon of d00m!!!11

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope musk tries Jorp's cold turkey drug method. it will be the longest he doesnt post.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

did peepee jordanson actually quit benzos cold turkey??

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Gesundheit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

R.L. Stine posted:

teh vogon of d00m!!!11

*twirls hyperspanner

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

R.L. Stine posted:

He had himself put into a long medically induced coma so he wouldn't have to experience withdrawal lol

Of course that hosed with his body in other fun ways

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

How long did he have to be off them to count as quitting?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

F4rt5 posted:

My first experience with it was the original radio play in my mid twenties, and didn’t read the books until a couple years later. Last book sucks, others ok, but the radio play trumps all.

I never heard the radio play but I’m otherwise mostly with you; I read it in my early 20s and enjoyed the first book, the next three were okay I guess idfk, the last book was mediocre. There does not need to be a full five-volume omnibus. “lololol 42” stopped being funny long ago, jesus christ shut up.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

benzos are among the worst drugs to get clean from. i'm still not and probably will never be. jordanson took a coward's way and i'm glad he's even more hosed up for it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

...! posted:

He had himself put into a long medically induced coma so he wouldn't have to experience withdrawal lol

Of course that hosed with his body in other fun ways

He and his daughter admitted he was still taking benzodiazepines after all that too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hitchhiker's Guide was a product of a very specific time and place. If that time and place doesn't resonate with you, then you won't enjoy the books.

And that's fine.

There's all sort of art like that which relies on a specific shared experience to understand. I read a lot of American books as a kid which were filled with cultural assumptions which I had no idea what they were talking about and, as such, took a lot less from than someone else might have.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I often think back to Hitchhiker’s as an adult. Sadly it’s most often when someone reminds me of Zaphod.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
musk is a putrid fat turd in cowboy boots

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

R.L. Stine posted:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

temple posted:

cyber-pinocchio

every time it lies the stock gets a little bit more valuable

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

(besides the human that is literally right there?)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bring on the Fartbots!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

lmfao silent hill rear end detox

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If current trends continue, aayyyyy

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:stare:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I wouldn't be surprised if robots already outnumber humans, they're just useful machines that do a single task very well instead of human-like machines that do a few tasks very poorly

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lmao: :discourse:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why is there a dick pump like from that Creamery movie?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Apologies if I missed something. Is that picture real? What's going on there?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Anderson Koopa posted:

Apologies if I missed something. Is that picture real? What's going on there?

It's very real, please keep JP in your thoughts and prayers.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

new version of the J/O pants looking sweet as heck

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

WE HAVE SUCH PRONOUNS TO SHOW YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that photo shows the actual medical process behind getting one's groove back

(it doesn't always work)

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

last time ill talk about jorp cause i'm sure elon is doing something stupid right now but i cannot stop thinking about how much of a loving idiot this guy is. dumbass is going to relapse

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wait, his daughter is Kari Byron? :aaa:

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica

Kit Walker posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if robots already outnumber humans, they're just useful machines that do a single task very well instead of human-like machines that do a few tasks very poorly

They do and these robots are called NPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I would lose my poo poo, all bound up like that, with a mask and strapped down, etc.. God drat that looks insane, I'd totally take addiction (or death) over THAT. It's freaking me out just thinking about it.

I was once laid up with a fractured hip, unable to move my legs or lower body without incredible pain but being strapped down, inside some plastic suit with a loving helmet like that? My claustrophobia would probably give me a heart attack, jesus.