Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never really understood the bracketology tournament but I'm gonna start postin' and votin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Count Thrashula posted:

I've never really understood the bracketology tournament but I'm gonna start postin' and votin'

The part that can be a little bit complicated is putting together and nominating the teams. But once we get going there's really nothing to it, like you said just post and vote.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There are lots of rules for making teams because of terrible people like me who will try to push them to breaking point

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s mostly because I’m the kid who says “ok we need rules for this game of playing with a balloon we’ve started”.

But as said none of that matters once the tournament begins. All you gotta do is watch what you want, vote how you like, and let us know what you think.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NvSJs5c.mp4

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Another PSA for those of us living outside the West: Cellar Dweller is on YouTube as well as the MST3K episode of The Deadly Mantis, if that's what you're into.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What the gently caress Hobo with a Shotgun lost to a made for TV Fulci???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's right

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going back and forth on cellar dweller vs house of 1000 corpses

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Cellar Dweller is fun but if it wins against RZomb I will lose all faith in Bracketology.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was bored by House of 1000 Corpses. I could say that’s 20 years of maturity or seeing Zombie make better (and worse) films with all the same elements. But truthfully I remember seeing it in the theater and being pretty meh about it. Cellar Dweller was fine but I can’t in good conscience call it better. It felt a bit like an anthology segment from one of those 80s movies like Tales From the Darkside that got stretched out a bit for a feature. I dunno. I’m leaning towards abstaining. Don’t think I have a dog in this fight. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

I’m probably voting for Mantis? I liked it more than my first time but my first time was with Svengoolie so it was a broken up watch. It probably caught me in the right mood but I found it’s familiar 50s giant monster formula comforting. And I thought the Mantis was pretty good and saw more of it than I expected. The Ice Cream thing was fine too but again felt like a decent idea stretched out a bit too much. I definitely enjoyed Mantis more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s Saturday. I swear I posted this earlier but I got distracted gardening. No poo poo. Anyway. There’s still time yo watch movies and vote. 37 hours? I dunno. You know the deal.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 13th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Steve's Monster Blockbusters vs. 16. Team Australian Aberration
8. 100% Found Footage vs. 9. Terence Fisher

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I felt like The Deadly Mantis was good when the mantis was there, but we really don't get enough of the mantis to make it worth watching. It takes far too long to get to the creature. That's fine if you build up the horror of it, but instead of that, it just seems like we're seeing the boring process of them figuring out what's going on. Which, to be fair, also happens in Japanese kaiju movies, but those make up for it by usually having interesting characters. This movie doesn't have any.

We All Scream for Ice Cream is fairly solid horror for most of its runtime. Sure, the story's a pastiche of Stephen King, and the acting is kind of uneven, but on the whole I can't complain. Unfortunately the story kind of falls apart at the end, with a rushed 'happy' resolution (again, borrowed from King) and the unecessary 'is it really over?' ending; by that point it starts to feel too formulaic. I think I liked WASFIC slightly better but would say that the direction is kind of weak compared to Mantis, so I'm not sure which way I'll vote.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
House of 1000 Corpses was an easy vote for me, I'm a Rob Zombie guy so it would've taken a lot to overcome that.

And yea of course I voted for my team, hoping that I don't get completely shut out with my teams here but it's not looking great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rob Zombie finally gets a win with House of 1000 Corpses and takes down John Carl Buechler’s Cellar Dweller. Meanwhile Nathan Juran’s Deadly Mantis ekes out a win over Tom Holland’s Masters of Horror entry We All Scream For Ice Cream in a hard fought victory. That means both move on for a second round clash in two weeks but we say goodbye to Chucky and his Pals and JCB for another year. Until next Bracketology.

Without further delay lets get to this week.

1. (Basebf’s Steve's Monster Blockbusters) Stephen Sommer’s Van Helsing vs. 16. (Darth’s Team Australian Aberration) Alan Madden’s Mushrooms

The lesser Stephen gets the draw this week with his… polarizing Van Helsing? Van Helsing is ultimately exactly what you’d expect to get if someone made a Universal throwback and homage in the early 2000s. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? Just a thing? Only the votes will decide. On the flip side is another film out of Australia that sounds fairly quirky and provocative? A very different kind of film from Van Helsing’s CGI action heavy entry or so it seems. So which one of these will come out on top? Can Wolverine and Underworld team up to save the day for Blockbusters or will the little 16 seed chew up the competition and sneak on through one more round?

Van Helsing is available for streaming on Starz.
Mushrooms is available for streaming on Kanopy.

8. (Weapon X’s 100% Found Footage) Josh Trank’s Chronicle vs. 9. Terence Fisher’s The Mummy

We’ve got another blockbuster with a drat impressive young cast in Chronicle. This found footage quasi grounded super hero origin film really seems to have hit with people at the time but will a decade of super hero films and shift away from “dark and gritty” hurt it? On the flip side we’ve got Terence Fisher hoping to withstand the times with his version of The Mummy complete was always with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Its old school vs new school for sure here and classic horror vs a more adjacent type. Can the Hammer king pull off a victory here or will the director of the worst Fantastic Four movie and Max Landis get the W?

Chronicle is out there and available upon request.
The Mummy is out there and available upon request.

That’s our week. Sorry its a little late this week. I made a conscious decision to not do write-ups last night and just sleep in today. My bad. But we got a couple of blockbusters, a classic Hammer film, and a quirky foreign deep cut. So another exciting Bracketology week.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 20th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 11. Lucio Fulci
4. Tobe Hooper vs. 5. Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell yea, I got my vote in for Deadly Mantis at like 10am so good thing I didn't forget!

As for Van Helsing this week, I fully acknowledge that the movie has pacing issues but I think if you go scene by scene there's some really solid stuff in there. The opening scene in particular is really excellent.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea, I got my vote in for Deadly Mantis at like 10am so good thing I didn't forget!

As for Van Helsing this week, I fully acknowledge that the movie has pacing issues but I think if you go scene by scene there's some really solid stuff in there. The opening scene in particular is really excellent.

It's all Basebf555's fault my team got booted again! :argh:

I think Van Helsing is a terrible movie on its own, but I've never heard of this Mushrooms film so VH may end up winning by dint of being heard of before. We'll see.

I also don't think much of the Hammer Mummy film and that Chronicle is a better film overall. But I don't much care for Josh Trank as a person or a creator after all the stories from his disastrous Fantastic Four reboot from some years back, so I may end up voting against him on the back of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing being dependable old stalwarts and Terence Fisher not being completely up his own rear end and insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Mummy also has pacing issues, coincidentally enough.

The thing I really love though about Lee's Mummy is that he's just extremely pissed off the entire time he's on screen. Just wrecking shop every time he shows up, busting down doors, breaking through windows, it's actually a pretty scary portrayal because he has so much rage compared to most other movie mummies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t have a big memory of the Mummy which doesn’t bode well but it’s Hammer and Lee and Cushing so if it catches me in the right mood on a rewatch this week it could easily win. My memory of Chronicle is a big meh as it seemed to me like it played to the much more cynical anti super hero crowd that I’m not part of. So I think I owe both a rewatch but Fisher has a good chance for my vote.

I don’t really like Van Helsing although I’d agree it has good parts. Whether that will be enough to beat out Mushrooms which doesn’t super sound like my thing I’ll find out. I’m definitely probably gonna rewatch Kate Beckinsale fighting monsters.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Voted for Van Helsing and The Mummy. Not because of any particular love for either of those movies, but more because I like the movies that are coming up later if they stay in more than the competition. (The 100% Found Footage team has a few more films I really like coming up - namely Behind the Mask and Deadstream - but it has a lot of cruft that I don't care about - namely the Hell House LLC movies. But while I don't think I like any of the Terence Fisher choices as much as the two good 100FF films, there's just so many more "pretty good" choices on hand to outweigh the "two really good and a lot of really bad" options on the other side.)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

Voted for Van Helsing and The Mummy.

Total opposite for me. Mushrooms may not be a horror movie, but neither is Van Helsing, and Mushrooms I actually watched. VH was two hours of "holy poo poo, it's still going".

The Mummy was fine, and if it tied with Chronicle I'd vote for it on a gently caress-Max-Landis basis, but Chronicle was so, so, so much better. Entirely different league, much less ball park.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yesterday was Saturday. I totally whiffed. Bad day. Sorry. That means you only have about 22 hours left to watch movies or vote. My bad. But it’s some time. Better than nothing I guess.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 20th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 11. Lucio Fulci
4. Tobe Hooper vs. 5. Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Samfucius posted:

Total opposite for me. Mushrooms may not be a horror movie, but neither is Van Helsing, and Mushrooms I actually watched. VH was two hours of "holy poo poo, it's still going".

The Mummy was fine, and if it tied with Chronicle I'd vote for it on a gently caress-Max-Landis basis, but Chronicle was so, so, so much better. Entirely different league, much less ball park.

Same, same. Max Landis was the writer and this is a director tourney so my conscience is clear!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I kind of expected that Chronicle would not age well, but I actually found it just as enjoyable. I think it does well making the found footage sensible, and highlights how kids might actually behave in such a situation, even if it is all a bit heightened and comic-booky.

Fisher's Mummy felt too short to really show off the monster, though I think Lee is doing well with his portrayal. Overall it's kind of dull. Never a good sign to have a lengthy scene that's just some character narrating the events we are being shown.

On the other side Van Helsing should be a lot of fun, but just isn't, with only the Brides of Dracula enjoying themselves. It drags on far too long, and the attempt to tie it in with the Universal franchise kind of feel more insulting to the other films than a fitting tribute.

Mushrooms looked like something I thought I'd hate, but it's actually rather charming. Compared to the lifeless Van Helsing, it's an easy win. I'm still wondering if it's illegal in Australia to give away or sell eggs/chickens, since that is apparently a plot point.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 20, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Van Helsing was worse than I remembered. While there's certainly fun ideas and very isolated parts its just a very poorly executed film. You could handicap it that its bad CGI is just a product of the time but its so much of the film that its hard to just excuse it. And there's just nothing else working well enough in this mess to compensate. Is it camp? Homage? Action? Drama? Its just a long mess.

That being said I couldn't get into Mushrooms at all. I even restarted the film to give it a better chance but I just couldn't absorb much. I think I'm just kind of deaf to that particular tone of UK/Aussie quirk charm comedy? If that makes sense? I just could never vibe with it. Did make me want eggs.

So I think I'm abstaining on that one.

My second time watching Chronicle and I mostly don't get it. A good cast and effective use of the found footage format helps keep it afloat but its just got so much douche bag energy and doesn't feel like it offers anything except cynical edginess. "If you gave teenage boys super powers one of them would be an angry incel who lashes out" doesn't overly impress me. Again, a good cast of future players helps but its also pretty clearly a Max Landis film too and I just don't take to it at all.

The Mummy isn't great but I watched it as doing writeups this morning and that's kind of the sweet spot for Hammer I think. Lots of style and mood and Cushing and Lee being awesome and pretty ladies.

Its not the best conditions for either. I watched Chronicle after my team lost brutally and I was depressed and I watched Mummy as I was doing writeups. But I still think I just like what teh Mummy is more than Chronicle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am deeply heartbroken over the Knicks and generally sleeping terrible and in bad health but I got a full night’s sleep last night thanks to my new dehumidifier so I’m here doing my best to keep Bracketology going through my difficult period. Sorry for the sparse writeups.

Whelp. We’ve officially declared Van Helsing a winning film. We’ll have to live with that as we see fit. Mushrooms didn’t get shut out or anything but its quirky vibe apparently didn’t click with enough people to beat out Stephen Sommer’s spectacle of CGI and corsets. And that moves Basebf’s Monster Blockbusters team one step forward. As well
Weapon X’s Found Footage team as Chronicle just BARELY ekes out a victory over Terrence Fisher’s Mummy. One vote separated the two so its a tough loss for the Hammer legend who hasn’t had much luck in Bracketology now at 2-5. But I guess he can at least take comfort in it being close.

Ok, time for the second round of this tourney. Thank god. I’m sick of these Joe Bob images. Bad call on my part.

3. (Goat’s Horror Noire) Jordan Peele’s Nope vs. 11. Lucio Fulci’s The House by the Cemetery

Jordan Peele is back for the first time since our very first Bracketology where he went 1-1 amazingly losing with Get Out. How the hell did that happen? I guess I could look up who he faced but I’m lazy and rushed so we’ll just say he has a chance to bounce back. Nope isn’t his most loved film and tends to get some polarizing responses, but its a spectacle for sure and one worthy of headlining this team. And with Fulci we get one of his classic trilogy of apocalyptic zombie maggot puking dream movies but the one largely regarded as the third of them in ranking. Still for Fulci fans or goop fans or whatever that’s probably more than good enough. Will it be good enough to propel Fulci past Peele? Or can Nope lead Horror Noire into the Sweet Sixteen?

I looked it up. Get Out lost to Hereditary in a three way with Babadook Holy crap. .

Nope is available for streaming on Peacock and Start.
The House by the Cemetery is available for streaming on AMC+, Plex, Shudder, and Flix Fling.

4. Tobe Hooper’s Djinn vs. 5. (Goat’s Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead) Dan O’Bannon’s Return of the Living Dead

Hooper picked up his 7th Bracketology win last round and an 8th will tie him with Ken Russell for 3rd all time. But he might not have drawn the bast thing here. I once again have shame for my super team. They were just there and the them worked so I did it but I feel ashamed about it. But there it is. Return of the Living Dead. Perhaps Hooper’s last film Djinn wouldn’t have fared much better in another matchup. Its not generally well regarded and on the surface it looks like he was making a movie in UAE for financial reasons as one of those former great directors struggling to find backing kind of things. But when you check the reviews of the film there’s actually a fair bit of really praising ones about what the film does thematically and tonally. This IS Tobe Hooper after all. So maybe he’s not drawing dead? Oh who am I kidding? Its Return of the Living Dead. And its not even the right time of year. I’m ashamed.

Djinn is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, Hoopla, Crackle, Freevee, Plex, Pluto, Popcorn Flix, Roku, and Tubi.
Return of the Living Dead is available for streaming on Fubo, Hoopla, MGM+, Pluto, Roku, and Tubi.

That’s our week. Its another pretty mainstream bunch of movies although we’re digging a little deeper with Hooper and Fulci; Still two legends deep cuts vs two big names films is a pretty notable week I think. No deep digging for stuff this week. For better or worse. I’m sorry, I’m in a dark sports place here. I can’t work up the excitement. Life is pain and misery. But at least we have Bracketology.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 27th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Steve's Monster Blockbusters vs. 8. 100% Found Footage
2. The Zombie Brothers vs. 10. Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ooph bad draw for fulci here imo. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie but Nope rules

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Ooph bad draw for fulci here imo. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie but Nope rules

it's funny cuz i was thinking "oof, bad draw for Peele"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it were City of the Living Dead I'd be voting for Fulci without a doubt. House by the Cemetery is a bit more debatable, I might have to rewatch it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Does anyone in the fulci movie do the Akira slide? Because Nope has a solid advantage there.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is the Fulci flick with the annoying kid named Bob, right? The one that looks like a shrunken Lex Luger and never shuts up? Yeah, easy vote for Nope.

I haven't seen Djinn, but I'll try to get to it. Unlikely that it would get my vote over ROTLD, though, which is a stone cold classic.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Easy vote for Nope, easy vote for Return of the Living Dead. Not even a little bit of trepidation on either of those choices.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's funny cuz i was thinking "oof, bad draw for Peele"

Lol I'm definitely gunna rewatch fulcis it's been a minute since I've seen it

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I saw House by the Cemetery as the fifth movie in an all night horror marathon and was absolutely delusional at that point already, and the movie didn't help. Insane film and I'll be voting for it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I saw House by the Cemetery as the fifth movie in an all night horror marathon and was absolutely delusional at that point already, and the movie didn't help. Insane film and I'll be voting for it.

Was this in Olympia?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I take it back, it's a much closer call. Liked it more than last time, I think I finally got over the boys dub.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Samfucius posted:

Was this in Olympia?

Nope

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Then the world is very symmetrical.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy gently caress its Saturday and I haven't even started these movies or writeups. What a week. Still a little time this (US) holiday weekend. About 37 hours give or take? You know what I'll be doing. Barbecuing and Bracketology.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 27th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Steve's Monster Blockbusters vs. 8. 100% Found Footage
2. The Zombie Brothers vs. 10. Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry for the delay. Spent today sick in bed.

Its a near unanimous victory for Return of the Living Dead. It would have been unanimous if I had posted this on time but one sneaky voter got in to break it up. Not really a surprise there but a rough break for Tobe Hooper. Although at least he didn’t waste a big one. On the other side Fulci gets his share of votes but its still a decisive victory for Jordan Peele’s Nope. A weird double win week for my teams that sense both Horror Noire and Team Zombie into the Sweet Sixteen. And sadly for the two horror legends Fulci and Hooper its another year for them.

Its time to say goodbye to Joe Bob and in fitting with our move into the summer he’s kind of become the division of blockbuster draws. Will that continue as we move into June? You betcha.

1. (Basebf’s Steve's Monster Blockbusters) Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park vs. 8. (Weapon X’s 100% Found Footage) Joseph & Vanessa Winter’s Deadstream

Whelp. Whatcha gonna do? Build a team with Steven Spielberg and sooner or later you’re gonna get the big guns. Nothing really to say about Jurassic Park. Its iconic obviously. Is it horror? That could maybe be its downfall? It certainly is a monster movie and takes quite a bit from slasher or horror anticipation in some of those classic stalking or attack scenes. But maybe that’s its vulnerability here, that its more of an adventure film than a straight horror? Then again Deadstream is certainly more of a comedy but its also a much more natural horror fully leaning into the supernatural in a unique comedic way. A big hit recently does it have near enough juice to take down one of the most famous films of all time? Or is Spielberg’s classic T-Rex gonna have one more meal?

Jurassic Park is available for streaming on Peacock, Fubo, and USA.
Deadstream is available for streaming on AMC+, Hoopla, and Shudder.

2. (Weapon X’s The Zombie Brothers) Rob Zombie’s Halloween vs. 10. (Basebf’s Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters) John Frankenheimer’s Prophecy

Rob Zombie finally got his first win this year and now he looks to advance into the Sweet Sixteen with his polarizing remake of Carpenter’s classic Halloween. While some mock and hate the choices Zombie made others think he was too slavish to the original. But we’re talking about Zombie here and he has no shortage of fans of his Hellbilly style and its on full display in his Halloween. On the flip side we have an award winning director going it in horror, a cast of classic actors unfamiliar with the genre, and a mutant bear or something. I dunno, I never seen it. But on some levels it seems like the polar opposite of Zombie and in other ways it feels like an interesting match. I dunno. Its a toss up it feels like as Prophecy is a bit of a cult classic while Halloween can garner some negative views. So who come out of this one the winner? Only one can. Love hurts.

Halloween is available for streaming on Freevee, Pluto, and Roku.
Prophecy is out there and available upon request.

That’s our week. Spielberg, Zombie, Frankenheimer, and… the haunted streamer. Lots of monsters, some blockbusters, a variety of films. A real Bracketology week.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST June 3rd (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
MST3K's 16 Seed Play In: Hideo Nakata vs. Sergio Martino vs. Astron-6 Squad
MST3K's 15 Seed Play In: Tamil Terrors vs. Dan Curtis vs. Team Ladies Love Cruel Jams

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List