Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I specifically mentioned the manual, so yes. It definitely doesn't work the way the manual says, though.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. It seems weirdly complicated. For example, directly from the manual, to select a mode, you need to "press on/off button. Hold down button A (see pages 6-7) and press start until display shows d:0x. Release both buttons, and then press A until the display indicates setting. Press Buttons B and C to change the value. Press start to save the setting. Open dishwasher so that door is slightly ajar, press start, and then close within four seconds to start cycle"

There are also several button that just have the modes labelled on them, but pressing them does nothing and the manual identifies the buttons but doesn't say anything else about them so I haven't figured out how to get them to work yet.

I do want to reiterate that I am very happy with it overall and I do expect over the next year or two to develop a basic understanding of how it works.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Auto —> Air Dry —> Start —> Shut door.

Perfectly good for 99% of dishes, including pots and pans. :v:

My one learning point is to not overload the top rack in the front, because there is a safety interlock in the back that can disengage under flex. It is not intuitive to deal with the various troubleshooting lights.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Auto —> Air Dry —> Start —> Shut door.

Perfectly good for 99% of dishes, including pots and pans. :v:

My one learning point is to not overload the top rack in the front, because there is a safety interlock in the back that can disengage under flex. It is not intuitive to deal with the various troubleshooting lights.

This has been my experience.

Vulnerably, I also learned that cleaning the filters at the bottom is a good first of the month chore. Letting it go for a year+ is a gross oversight to make.

I’m pretending all previous dishwashers did not have a filter accessible for cleaning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I clean my dishwasher's filters periodically, but there's never anything on 'em :shrug:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Do not buy a Samsung or LG anything.

For dishwashers, as already been mentioned, look to Bosch.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bosch is great, and Whirlpool support has always come through for me.

Word of caution, don't spring for the machines that are super super duper quiet if they lack a vent. There's basically no point to having a drying cycle if moisture cannot make it out of the box. I liked the quietness of my machine at my previous home, but I had to leave the door open for 20 to 30 minutes to let it finish air drying because there was no external air exchange to allow drying to complete with the door closed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Vulnerably, I also learned that cleaning the filters at the bottom is a good first of the month chore. Letting it go for a year+ is a gross oversight to make.

I learned this also, but it's more that I learned from doing so that my wife and I have drastically different interpretations of what the instruction manual meant when it said to not pre-wash the dishes before adding them. She was just putting plates with, like, toddler chicken nuggets and stuff into the washer without scraping anything first. :wtc:

Like, no poo poo it isn't making green beans literally disappear, honey.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Word of caution, don't spring for the machines that are super super duper quiet if they lack a vent. There's basically no point to having a drying cycle if moisture cannot make it out of the box. I liked the quietness of my machine at my previous home, but I had to leave the door open for 20 to 30 minutes to let it finish air drying because there was no external air exchange to allow drying to complete with the door closed.

What has vents? Kind of assume at this point they are all virtually the same if you pay for mid-tier or above.

Other news, I chatted with CenturyLink last week to come out and remove the phone line to the house since I don't use it. Reading other experiences, I expected this to be low priority, maybe have to call a few times to get it done. Came home today to find 2 CL guys just pulling in. They removed the lines in like 15 minutes (I had to leave). A+ job CenturyLink.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 6, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Any dishwasher you can cook dinner in while washing your dishes is a good dishwasher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher_salmon

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GlyphGryph posted:

I specifically mentioned the manual, so yes. It definitely doesn't work the way the manual says, though...

Unless it glitches (three times in the past year) I do not have to do that.

This is how I operate the Bosch 800:

https://i.imgur.com/ewA6AzR.mp4

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 7, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I dunno if I have enough patience to stare at a blinking clock that long every time I start the dishes

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I dunno if I have enough patience to stare at a blinking clock that long every time I start the dishes

Total process takes literally 1-2 seconds. He's demonstrating it nice and slowly for the video.

There are a few odd little features with the washer that take time to get used to. Like, checking a light on the floor to make sure your washer started because it's too quiet for you to hear it over the voices in your head, knowing that the clock not blinking means it's all set, etc. Still a fabulous machine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

Total process takes literally 1-2 seconds. He's demonstrating it nice and slowly for the video.

:thejoke:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Unless it glitches (tree times in the past year) I do not have to do that.

This is how I operate the Bosch 800:

https://i.imgur.com/ewA6AzR.mp4

Seriously.....what else is there to do? I don't understand the confusion unless their dishwasher is actually broken.

Hadlock posted:

Bosh Benchmark supremacy. Not just a red light, a projected rotating status display on your floor. So useful. I take my dishwasher status very seriously.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry. I sometimes can't tell with you. :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call me when your dishwasher has a Prometheus scrape endpoint

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
If I don’t push the start button and close fast enough my Bosch beeps at me like it’s annoyed, so maybe close your dishwasher faster?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

Seriously.....what else is there to do? I don't understand the confusion unless their dishwasher is actually broken.

Bosh Benchmark supremacy. Not just a red light, a projected rotating status display on your floor. So useful. I take my dishwasher status very seriously.

I only have that stupid red light which has meaningless blinks when there is an error

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sweeper posted:

If I don’t push the start button and close fast enough my Bosch beeps at me like it’s annoyed, so maybe close your dishwasher faster?

Oh, the dissonant "YOU HAVE DONE IT INCORRECTLY AND WILL BE PUNISHED" dissonate tone? Yeah, that's what happens when you close it when on and "clean" or any time after it's been clean but still "on". It's really excessive. You can just turn it off and that will stop happening.

There's probably a menu item to turn that off somewhere. I should look for it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It might just actually be broken, but when it works mine is just press button and close, even though its a different model. The problem is that there seem to be a lot of ways to get it into a state where it is no longer like that. Someone bumps it while its open, or opens it seconds after it started, or accidentally presses the button twice, and even turning it off and on again wont reliably get it back into that state, I gotta do the process I listed and then it will work again until it doesnt, sometimes. And sometimes pressing the button and closing it doesnt do anything at all even if it otherwise seems to be in the right state.

More likely its not broken and I just dont understand it and am unknowingly doing something wrong, like I said I'll spend some time trying to figure it out eventually.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 7, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Potato Salad posted:

My whirlpool has a fan. Dries better than any dishwasher I've ever had.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Oh, the dissonant "YOU HAVE DONE IT INCORRECTLY AND WILL BE PUNISHED" dissonate tone? Yeah, that's what happens when you close it when on and "clean" or any time after it's been clean but still "on". It's really excessive. You can just turn it off and that will stop happening.

There's probably a menu item to turn that off somewhere. I should look for it.

<sigh> it's that time of year again!

Intensive drying
The final rinse uses a higher temperature which improves the drying result. The cycle time may increase slightly. (Caution if utensils are delicate!) This feature has two settings:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1).
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) indicates the factory set value d:00
6. Press function key C to switch the Extra dry feature on d:01 or off d:00
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

The wash cycle has ended when the display (3) reads 0:00. If the signal tone has been set, the wash cycle end is also indicated by a buzzer.
To change the signal volume:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:0x (x can be any number). Release both buttons.
4. Press function key A until the display shows b:02.
5. Press function key C. Each time the button is pressed the set value increases by one level; when it reaches the value b:03, the display jumps back to b:00 (off).
6. Press Start button (6) to save the setting.

TimeLight® (Optical display while the wash cycle is running) While wash cycle is running, an optical display (time remaining alternating with cycle indicator images) is projected onto the floor under the appliance door. You can switch the optical display on (5:01)‚ or off (5:00).
To change the setting:
1. Open the door.
2. Press On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) shows H:0x or d:0x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons. The light above function key A flashes and the display (3) shows the factory set value.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) shows the factory set value 5:01.
6. Press function key C to switch between 5:00 and 5:01.
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

For unknown reasons, mine does not, sadly, have the TimeLight setting. You bet your rear end I tried to set it up.

GlyphGryph posted:

It might just actually be broken, but when it works mine is just press button and close, even though its a different model. The problem is that there seem to be a lot of ways to get it into a state where it is no longer like that. Someone bumps it while its open, or opens it seconds after it started, or accidentally presses the button twice, and even turning it off and on again wont reliably get it back into that state, I gotta do the process I listed and then it will work again until it doesnt, sometimes. And sometimes pressing the button and closing it doesnt do anything at all even if it otherwise seems to be in the right state.

More likely its not broken and I just dont understand it and am unknowingly doing something wrong, like I said I'll spend some time trying to figure it out eventually.

It's possible that yours is defective.

As noted, ours bricked within a day of install, which put an extremely large chip on my shoulder as the "cry" part (i.e. how much I paid for it) was still firmly in mind, blinking neonish-ly). I did the system reset, and it was fine for about 2-weeks. Repeat.

It did it once more after about a month - but hasn't done it since. I was ready to yank it out & demand another, but the shoulder chip has since withered away.

I set the auto-power off function, and it held that...then my wife stated it was staying powered up after it was done. I wouldn't give a poo poo, but if it's bumped & the door latches, it tones. That got old. I'm with Motronic on that one

Apparently it did that a few times, and has since reverted to powering off when it's finished. Tempermental little minx.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2024

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Jesus, I thought the dishwasher thing was just silly, but either that is some rear end backwards user interface or I am way too loving high for that diagram.

I dunno, I bought my dishwasher almost a decade ago at a sears ding n dent store and it's been flawless ever since. I press the start button twice, close the door, and it just works really well. It's freakin great.

The last place I lived had a bosch dishwasher and it was truly awful. The filter would become rancid and need frequent cleaning, which I had attributed to the design, but could've also been some lovely routing or looping on the drain coil.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PainterofCrap posted:

For unknown reasons, mine does not, sadly, have the TimeLight setting. You bet your rear end I tried to set it up.

Thanks to this post I've learned mine doesn't either. :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

are you sure you properly set your dishwasher to 5 hours and 1 minute

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

can't take dishwashers seriously if they don't come with a red dot sight

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My Bosch is fantastic. I just recently expanded my mind by using the Disinfect mode :worship:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Our new build came with everything Whirlpool, except for the fridge which is LG and we had to buy it separate. Six weeks in and nothing has failed yet

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hotel Kpro posted:

Our new build came with everything Whirlpool, except for the fridge which is LG and we had to buy it separate. Six weeks in and nothing has failed yet

:rip:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/consumer/fridge-failures-federal-lawsuit-cites-lg-refrigerator-issue/3552575/

https://www.consumerreports.org/lawsuits-settlements/lg-settles-class-action-lawsuit-over-refrigerator-compressors/

Does your fridge have a linear compressor or reciprocating compressor?

Basically ten years ago LG resigned their compressors (basically the main component that cools fridges) with the goals of better energy efficiency and theoretical claimed reliability. The reality is the design was flawed and peoples' new fridges starting conking out across the board. Last year LG lost (settled) a class action lawsuit for a bunch of the early flawed linear compressor fridges from 2014-2017. Now there's a new federal lawsuit against LG for yet more early compressor failures, so definitely hang onto your receipt and warranty information.

At least LG makes nice OLED TVs though!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I have so many home tasks to do but all I can think about is installing a NG line for a grill. Thanks thread.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I have so many home tasks to do but all I can think about is installing a NG line for a grill. Thanks thread.

Same. I'd need to cut through concrete though, not a small job.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spf3million posted:

Same. I'd need to cut through concrete though, not a small job.

Same. I was eye balling it for the fire pit but it’s a pretty big job.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

running an NG line for my generator was a pain, but completely worth it for the wild weather we’ve had the past couple days in the south

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Just entered the ranks of home ownership. How many of you shut off the water to your home when you are traveling? My water line has a ball valve on it so it would be pretty easy to shut if off and then set the water heater to vacation mode but I'm not sure if there are any downsides to doing that as a regular practice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

grenada posted:

Just entered the ranks of home ownership. How many of you shut off the water to your home when you are traveling? My water line has a ball valve on it so it would be pretty easy to shut if off and then set the water heater to vacation mode but I'm not sure if there are any downsides to doing that as a regular practice.

Just be sure to check and make sure the valve works properly during business hours in the middle of the week. Basically, never touch anything plumbing related when a plumber would charge overtime rates.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

grenada posted:

I shut off the lines to my washing machine only. I figure most of the plumbing is a low risk, although if I was leaving for a long time and didn't have someone coming by I would absolutely shut off the main line.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

grenada posted:

Now that I have new pipes I won’t but my pipes were flakey before so I turned it off when I left for more than like 4 days.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Our list of house stuff is a mile long but as soon as the weather started getting nice, my wife and I realized that nothing was as important as getting a grill. We ended up having a pair of gas quick disconnects installed rather than burying lines owing to lower cost, faster turnaround, and no need for permits. We'll see if we come to regret that decision once we put in the patio and fire pit.

Speaking of, probably time to buy a shovel and start digging up the yard for that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dunno if this helps anyone but with 2 contractors now I've just asked if they'll let me pay it out over 2 months w/o doing any financing poo poo and they've agreed. HVAC company just agreed to do that for furnace/ac install. And some remodeling work at old house the company was ok with doing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grenada posted:

We turn off the water even if we're just gone for the weekend, haven't had any problems yet. It actually helped us find an under-slab leak... there would always be a surprising amount of water flow whenever we turned it back on.

I've never bothered with vacation mode on the water heater, modern ones are so well insulated it's really not a huge draw when you aren't using it.