Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Apparently they're having a DDOS today.

https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/c5069c5b9c8968da0e1251846a5a3fec140b5350

Translation:

2024/05/06 09:30

Notice of Network Outage Due to DDoS Attack (5/6)
We have confirmed that a network outage is currently occurring due to a DDoS attack.
We are currently confirming the attack method and taking countermeasures, and will inform you again as soon as there is any progress.
The following is a description of the situation.

Date and time: Monday, May 6, 2024, from around 22:00

Impact:
The worlds located in Japan, North America, Europe, and Oceania data centers may be disconnected.
・It may be difficult to log in to the worlds located in the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers.
There are cases where there are difficulties in connecting to the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers and sending/receiving data.
Target: Final Fantasy XIV users

Hah, I was knocking out the XVI event on my alt since it's ending soon, guess this is why I got disconnected right at the end of the Ifrit fight!
It's a fun fight, so I didn't mind that much. Let me experiment with the dodge more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my sub payment went through fine today without me having to change anything, so that's cool

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, I got in with no problems but lost connection before I could get into a duty. NN was drat near empty so I assume most other people are having the same issues.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
All this DDOS had to start when Whale was coming up, too. :(

The New Job Problem for CBU3 (or I guess CS3 soon?) is that
a) New Jobs help sell expansions.
b) DPS Jobs are a magnitude more popular than Tank and Healer Jobs
c) They're trying to keep the various categories roughly balanced, though they don't count Limited for this.
d) Hollywood WoL "needs" new melee roles for cinematics (tanks count as melee for this purpose) - can't really anticipate them using another ranged like Archer, even

This almost guarantees that they won't release an expansion with only one new job if it's a Tank/Healer (and yet also unlikely there'll be a Tank + Healer 2-job expansion), and a solo-DPS job expansion would basically have to be a melee headliner unless they finally feature Ninja, which would probably necessitate another far-eastern flavored story. And after a double DPS expansion, it's probably likely they'll bring in one of the other two roles. So my expectation right now is that 8.0 will have a Tank + Phys Ranged (yes, again) and 9.0 is the earliest they try seeing how a single DPS expansion goes over.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
We still need Berserker and Psychic to reach parity with the best non-MMO Final Fantasy, X-2.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hogama posted:

unless they finally feature Ninja, which would probably necessitate another far-eastern flavored story.

Which of the 4th, 8th, or 11th is going to be the Naruto shard?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

They can't add two jobs per expac "forever" but we're also in year 11 of this unexpectedly extremely successful mmo after its pretty much unique death and resurrection, in a famously difficult niche of a notoriously volatile industry. "we added too many jobs for the design space (and/or added too much job-related development debt" is certainly a thing that could drag the game down, but I kind of doubt it even cracks the top 5 or 10 most worrying things that could kill the game.

especially since jobs aren't the kind of thing that will suddenly break the camel's back; having added jobs four times now I'd also guess they have a pretty solid handle on how much time and money and organizational bandwidth each additional job costs. Far more likely that the writing falls off or the game is embroiled in some major controversy or square-enix collapses for unrelated reasons than we make it to year 22 and they go "well, we've officially exhausted the job well"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Attack on Princess posted:

We still need Berserker and Psychic to reach parity with the best non-MMO Final Fantasy, X-2.

FFX-2 Berserker is kinda weird because it takes the fashion sensibilities and... berserking from the traditional berserker but the stats, combat style and focus on countering is straight-up monk. And if you want a job like FFV berserker, that's just WAR.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Catching up on all the post-launch MSQ for Endwalker and....man.

There's lots I like about this game but they really need to somehow make playing the actual quests and being in the world not the most boring part of the experience. Every quest is basically just "fly to point, click on NPC". You barely even engage in combat for most of the main quests, and the game hasn't fundamentally evolved in this area....since ARR, really. It's really kind of sapped a lot of my growing excitement for coming back for the expansion. Dungeons and raids continue to be very cool and the storyline is still pretty well-told, but you have to wade through way too much cruft to get to the good parts of the game.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I still think for the next expack, the trailer should show John Fantasy chugging a fantasia and becoming a catgirl.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I still think for the next expack, the trailer should show John Fantasy chugging a fantasia and becoming a catgirl.

One Fantasia at the beginning and end of each x.0, let Juan Fantasia be a lala for a while

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

There's lots I like about this game but they really need to somehow make playing the actual quests and being in the world not the most boring part of the experience. Every quest is basically just "fly to point, click on NPC". You barely even engage in combat for most of the main quests, and the game hasn't fundamentally evolved in this area....since ARR, really. It's really kind of sapped a lot of my growing excitement for coming back for the expansion. Dungeons and raids continue to be very cool and the storyline is still pretty well-told, but you have to wade through way too much cruft to get to the good parts of the game.

adding combat to the MSQ would add more cruft, not less. with the combat design as it is theres basically no way to make killing five wolves interesting . solo duty boss fights can be interesting but they can also be a massive pain in the rear end if you die to them and there's a clear design space issue where healers/tanks take longer to kill them than dps jobs, and on the flipside DPS jobs with no self-healing cant survive more than a couple failed mechanics while healers or warriors can just facetank through and barely engage with the design outside of instant loss mechanics. you can make solo duty boss fights that have allied NPCs filling party roles but at that point you've basically just spent as many resources as itd take to make an actual trial only its only going to be used once by each player instead of infinitely as part of roulette.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like... idk, i can get some of the complaints and i do think the writing can be a little circuitous but i dont think adding *more* boring stuff is the solution. fly to point, talk to NPC is way better than the alternatives, given the design limitations and space they have.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like the idea of the devs stretching their legs a bit more in quest design, but then again we're still in the same expansion where they added stealth tailing missions soooo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

traditional RPGs can generally create better pacing by virtue of their format, where getting from A to B is a part of the core gameplay loop of engaging with the combat system, but an MMORPG where group combat in handcrafted dungeons is the primary endpoint has limited means of creating that same friction beyond serving up some monsters as a flavorful speedbump from time to time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, I'm sad.

Queued for Normal raids as tank, get Alphascape 3.0, oh god. (Never tanked it before, been an age since ive done it sync). Didn't gently caress up Starboard/Larboard, only took a single vulnstack to a fist that spawned basically on top of me. Feel like hot poo poo.

Roll 91 on the eScape orchestration roll. Get beat by a 99. Only get one commendation. :negative:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 7, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Endorph posted:

solo duty boss fights can be interesting but they can also be a massive pain in the rear end if you die to them and there's a clear design space issue where healers/tanks take longer to kill them than dps jobs, and on the flipside DPS jobs with no self-healing cant survive more than a couple failed mechanics while healers or warriors can just facetank through and barely engage with the design outside of instant loss mechanics.

Yeah, I feel like the key is that the devs want as few single-player pain points like this in the MSQ, because every challenging solo duty has the potential for players getting frustrated and giving up, so they want to save that for compelling story beats where the solo duty has impact. If you had a ton more "kill five wolves" missions, obligatory stealth sections, or whatever in the core MSQ, you'd have the risk of lower-skilled players falling off of the MSQ entirely, while higher-skill players would probably still just be bored (because they're never going to balance solo MSQ to entertain higher-skill players).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

VanillaGorilla posted:

The monkey's pawl curls and we get a dozen more blowdart missions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Frankly I'm fine with what basically amounts to Where's Waldo?

It's the tailing missions I can't stand.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I love the solo duties and I wouldn't mind more intricate ones in the story :shrug:

I do think that you should be able to pick the difficulty of them right away rather than after you fail them the first time, though, since I know a lot of people aren't really into them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm looking at the Dawntrail special site.... and have they basically said everything is on the table for the patch content this time around? New Limited Job, BLU update, New "Lifestyle content" (presumably something akin to Island,) "New Field Operations," Hildibrand, and "New Plans for Deep Dungeons" (which the phrasing makes me wonder if they'll rework the existing ones rather then making a new one, unless it was spoken about more clearly at a fanfest?) and Variant Dungeons.

It feels wild cause it feels like the previous expansions have usually lacked one or more of these sorts of things, or had one in lieu of another, so it makes it sound like there's just gonna be a shitload of stuff in the patches.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I love the solo duties and I wouldn't mind more intricate ones in the story :shrug:

I do think that you should be able to pick the difficulty of them right away rather than after you fail them the first time, though, since I know a lot of people aren't really into them.

:yeah:

I hope we see fewer of the following in secret quests in DT because woo boy do I dislike them alot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i wonder if we'll get a new In From The Cold. not that specific idea obviously, but just a new, challenging (by FFXIV standards) solo duty. IFTC and the surrounding stuff was honestly the best part of Endwalker's MSQ to me but people seem to really hate it. hopefully it didn't scare the devs off from trying another.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

i wonder if we'll get a new In From The Cold. not that specific idea obviously, but just a new, challenging (by FFXIV standards) solo duty. IFTC and the surrounding stuff was honestly the best part of Endwalker's MSQ to me but people seem to really hate it. hopefully it didn't scare the devs off from trying another.

It was definitely the high point and was pretty much all downhill from there.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Every "follow someone" quest should have an option to just call Riol and have him handle it because he's the sneakiest scion.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

It was definitely the high point and was pretty much all downhill from there.
Peak for me was Worthy of His Back, though that's more of a solo trial.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
One of the Anansa dailies involved flying between the same two points and clicking 3 times and we haven't quite hit that low since.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The EW solo duty where they decided to mix the ideas of "playing as someone else (Thancred)" and "mandatory stealth" was the low point for me.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm looking at the Dawntrail special site.... and have they basically said everything is on the table for the patch content this time around? New Limited Job, BLU update, New "Lifestyle content" (presumably something akin to Island,) "New Field Operations," Hildibrand, and "New Plans for Deep Dungeons" (which the phrasing makes me wonder if they'll rework the existing ones rather then making a new one, unless it was spoken about more clearly at a fanfest?) and Variant Dungeons.

It feels wild cause it feels like the previous expansions have usually lacked one or more of these sorts of things, or had one in lieu of another, so it makes it sound like there's just gonna be a shitload of stuff in the patches.

A lot of manpower this expansion was dedicated to adding duty support to all the previous expansions, with that done they've got the energy to basically add everything this time around.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

VanillaGorilla posted:

I get it when people say this but like... what do they envision exactly when they ask for things like this?

The secondary concern is; are you trying to get through 2 years of MSQs in 2 months

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Let us bring our birbs into Solo Duties! :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MechaX posted:

I get it when people say this but like... what do they envision exactly when they ask for things like this?

The secondary concern is; are you trying to get through 2 years of MSQs in 2 months

To be fair, each patch is what, 5ish hours of MSQ? That isn't all that much to barrel through in two months.

But yeah, for as much as the devs have improved their craft in the last decade, FFXIV is still a theme park MMO. Not being a fan of the structure is fine, but I'm not sure how they'd make things truly different without making it an entirely different game, if not an entirely different genre.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

MechaX posted:

it makes me think of Guild Wars 2 where you have to slog through a ton of very boring combat both between main story quests and during main story quests

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Colin Ryan voices Apollo in Hades 2, and he sounds exactly the same. Alphinaud is cosplaying as a Greek god!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Colin Ryan voices Apollo in Hades 2, and he sounds exactly the same. Alphinaud is cosplaying as a Greek god!

People keep wondering when Alphy will get his growth spurt, but that's a hell of a glow up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It isn't like Apollo has a tomboy twin sis-

Oh. Oh no.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Benedict__G/status/1787331301541806304

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

MechaX posted:

I'm just enjoying my ride wherever I am. I basically got all doh/dol stuff to 50+, almost every job to 50 outside of MNK/NIN, and had like 5% of ARR to finish + just finished HW and maybe 15% into stormblood. That took me... about 2 months?

I still have a boatload of doh/dol quests to slog through and don't know if I'll even make it to EW in time or if that's even reasonable. Still pre-ordered for the earring. But I'm enjoying the ride all the same.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Funky Valentine posted:

The EW solo duty where they decided to mix the ideas of "playing as someone else (Thancred)" and "mandatory stealth" was the low point for me.

This is Thancred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The store picture for Fantasias is basically already this