Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh shiiiiiiiiiit I figured that an official Notre Dame was never going to be in the cards for religious reasons, this makes me immensely happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dogen posted:

I feel like trying to recreate the Mona Lisa in Lego shows a lack of understanding of what it’s about, like…. Maybe it could be done well but not as a commercial product probably, but really best left alone.

I was at the Art of the Brick exhibit in london a while ago and one of the pieces there was a recreation of the mona lisa.

Obviously much larger scale and the artist lent into the blockyness.
Came out more like a pixelated low res image, like an old computer image with rectangular pixels and limited colour

You can see it here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68485095.amp

It was an interesting exhibit, the building techniques for the sculptures were more in line with the stuff you see in a lego store or at legoland. Lots of emphasis on the blockyness, not even a lot of stuff going on at the plate level let alone snot. Kinda interesting to contrast the approach with moc designers. The artist had a lot of fairly shallow stuff to say about creativity but he seems like hes found a happy niche for himself so thats nice.

A bit samey in places, lots of realistic lego people and heads but there were a few genuinely stunning pieces. The mona lisa was in a section of recreated artworks and it was funny to see the Stary night and the Great waves there too. Not sure how long those pieces predated the actual lego sets based on them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SadisTech posted:

Finally got around to setting up a Partner Approved Public Lego Display (no geek poo poo like space ships). Good old Ikea Billy bookcases.

(the geek poo poo like space ships has to live in my home office)

This looks like a good display cabinet for builds, though apparently they’re 79” tall and that’s way too big for me.

Any recommendations for a display cabinet with shelves? Ideally about 34” wide and about 60” tall. Bonus points for a light wood color/birch finish.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I honestly thought the Architecture line was dead. I guess it’s like one bigger set per year now which isn’t bad.

I’m not sure if I’ll buy it but it looks nice and the price is not unreasonable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

This looks like a good display cabinet for builds, though apparently they’re 79” tall and that’s way too big for me.

Any recommendations for a display cabinet with shelves? Ideally about 34” wide and about 60” tall. Bonus points for a light wood color/birch finish.

Actually, apparently IVAR is pretty good? Anyone use it, or see any problems with it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

I honestly thought the Architecture line was dead. I guess it’s like one bigger set per year now which isn’t bad.

I’m not sure if I’ll buy it but it looks nice and the price is not unreasonable.

Definitely buying I love these new landmark sets and my wife actually likes them so some of them can live outside of my office.

My theory is they’ll come back and do the smaller buildings and skylines and poo poo when it’s been long enough.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

I need this, and then I need to spend another hundred on Bricklink ordering Seimese collard pieces.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I would unironically buy that hosed up painting and place it on my wall proudly.

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

obi_ant posted:

I would unironically buy that hosed up painting and place it on my wall proudly.

Ya, I dont get the hate for the mona lisa. I think it looks fine. I like it better than the mosaic one posted upthread.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Corporate Memphis Mona Lisa

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lavender Spliffs posted:

Ya, I dont get the hate for the mona lisa. I think it looks fine. I like it better than the mosaic one posted upthread.

For a lego build it's fine but a big part of the fascination of the actual painting is the details of the face, and a brick built version can't replicate any of the nuance.

But to be fair, lego product photography is notoriously poo poo so it might look much better in person. But the images posted so far give her the most severe scowl in history.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Am I the only one who sees Rocky Dennis in that rendition or is that only because I'm just barely old enough to remember a movie from 1985?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I am very uncultured on art, but my wife pointed out some stuff on a recent trip to the art museum about how it wasn't until impressionism that the painters started to depict objects as the focal part of the painting. I think that's where Lego needs to stay - imagine a Monet haystack or lily pond or bridge that comes partway out of the painting. There's some really creative stuff that could be done with objects that are much more difficult when trying to depict people.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I guess I shouldn’t be so harsh it’s not my place to be the “what Lego people should buy” police lest other people police my 8000th Disney IP based purchase

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My initial reaction is that it's ugly and there's a lot of gold in there frames.

If anything, my post should give you hope that it goes on sale if more people agree with me and not buy it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

My initial reaction is that it's ugly and there's a lot of gold in there frames.

If anything, my post should give you hope that it goes on sale if more people agree with me and not buy it.

its like the perfect set to grab when its 20-30 bucks off and then part it out. because yeah, that is a shitload of gold pieces

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

TBH I don't like the tuxedo cat model. The body shape is weirdly blocky and simplified compared with original Ideas model. Some parts of the updated head are better than the original, like the nose, but cheeks and chin weird me out. I was super excited but unless review photos look way better it's gonna be a hard pass from me.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
They should have leaned more into making the Mona Lisa more of an abstract rendition of the original.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
made the kingfisher today, managed to move the eyes downwards by a single plate-height be removing the orange 1x1 plates from under the SNOT block and adding a blue 1x1 on top, fortunately the set had a spare blue plate and a spare blue tile, which look fine in that position and, IMO, it improves the look of the head no end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda Deku Tree: 2500 pieces. $300. That's really really bad. No pics yet but it better have a bunch of big and/or unique pieces. But for a tree, it's going to be tons of repetitive foliage crap. Seems like more price gouging.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's a 2-in-1 set too, so each build likely won't use all of the pieces. Feels like diorama or Architecture pricing lol.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Architecture tends to be priced the opposite. Lots of pieces, lower cost. This is the reverse. It's like a star wars set.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hmm. And yet, Architecture seems like one of the least value Lego themes. I don't really care for the price-per-piece thing Lego fans do. Lego doesn't hold at all to it, and can't, so it's odd that Lego customers justify $150 for a set that might have a lot of individual bits, but it's tiny.

Just look at Botanicals where they just have you dump 200 single studs into a Lego box at the end.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I saw Tiago’s review of the Notre Dame set.. this may be the first architecture set I get, I think it looks really nice

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda Deku Tree: 2500 pieces. $300. That's really really bad. No pics yet but it better have a bunch of big and/or unique pieces. But for a tree, it's going to be tons of repetitive foliage crap. Seems like more price gouging.

You're paying for the ip of course its price gouging

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You're paying for the ip of course its price gouging

yeah but maybe we get a Link minifig out of it :swoon:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not like zelda has any iconic locations. There is hyrule castle which doesn't look like anything. And the deku tree which is, at least, distinctive. Zelda minifigs and stuff is a better idea.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Master Sword. Easy money, has its own ready-made display and everything. Could add a Hylian Shield if they're bold/want to double to the price.

My personal wish is for a King of Red Dragons with toon-style minifigures including Wind Waker Ganondorf (the best one) but all of my wishes turn to ash so sorry if anyone else was wishing for this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m sorry, but all the “prop” display type sets suck. They never look right. A Master Sword or shield set wouldn’t be any different.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Shield might be cool. Sword wouldn't.

BTW, was the build for the Captain America shield as repetitive as it looks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the detail on the Hylian Shield might be enough to make it an interesting build. The Captain America shield is literally just circles.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the Temple of Time could be a cool set. Kid Link with jabu jabu and the zora princess would be neat too

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I saw Tiago’s review of the Notre Dame set.. this may be the first architecture set I get, I think it looks really nice

That footprint tho

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

biceps crimes posted:

the Temple of Time could be a cool set. Kid Link with jabu jabu and the zora princess would be neat too

Just redo nitre Dame in imperial Gray

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do a big OoT Ganon build like The Mighty Bowser

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

do a map of link to the past or something.

but on a smaller scale with more interesting detail

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Tingle buildable figure caked up like the Disney Springs Lego Store Chewbacca.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

deoju posted:

Shield might be cool. Sword wouldn't.

BTW, was the build for the Captain America shield as repetitive as it looks?

I'm imagining a midi scale sword that fits into a scabbard behind the shield and it looks cool in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They could do a Link / Ganon duel set like all of the Star Wars duels. Either as a playset or something more like a diorama (it'd be the latter for the :10bux:).