Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The Japanese seem to like thick roux gravies with rice. There's also a beef bourguignon sauce with rice, isn't there?

I feel like Kui picked Japanese curry with beer as the pivotal arc food first, as an iconic regular/comfort food in Japan (for maximum incongruity with the stakes), and then wrote the Thistle chapters around it. Otherwise there's some headscratching involved (if you have a lot of unknown raw spices from your local Asian store, mixing them at random seems.. unlikely? to yield a palatable curry. A lot of the spices have to be toasted or fried first, not tossed onto your tediously browned onions as Senshi does. A more natural recipe for the circumstances might be a barley and rabbit au vin stew (our heroes go on to raid the wine cellar later, so there's wine around). Certainly flinging handfuls of random mild-tasting herbs onto a stew are unlikely to hurt, whereas pungent spices like cinnamon are a recipe (hah) for disaster if you are experimenting on-the-fly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I had some really good katsu curry while I was in Paris, but it would probably be better not to call it a curry and just think of it as beef stew made by someone with a spice rack.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

DrSunshine posted:

Wasn't it adapted from British curry? So, like, literally yes.

lol

lmao

I'm dying here, this is good

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm surprised it took this long for bad food opinions to creep into this thread.

We were too concerned about the dungeon meshis, we forgot about the actual meshis...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Japanese curry is delicious, stop cooking it wrong

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Well we could discuss the Lily Orchard video on Dungeon Meshi instead.

Spoiler: she’s still a moron

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
pardon

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't need to know anything about this. i just look at the writing advice tweets and laugh and forget this person exists when i am not doing that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
let's not talk about lily orchard

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What are your secret Japanese curry ingredients?

I usually do ketchup, apple, worchestershire. Maybe some cocoa powder for beef curry, honey for chicken. Caramelized onion, in addition to thick cut onion that goes in later.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

In general I find Japanese curry a bit bland for my tastes, similar to how the typical Japanese take on mapo tofu is not nearly hot enough, but katsu curry is a quality comfort food. So good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yea. On its own its okay. With katsu or karaage? drat.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if you’re hungry for a new manga to read post- dungeon meshi I highly recommend henkyou no roukishi - bard loen. the mangadex synopsis does a decent job of describing the initial premise:

quote:

Abandoning money, fame and honor, the knight Bard embarks on a journey to find his final resting place. Tasting delicious food, admiring the unfamiliar scenery all by himself, his journey to find a place to die quietly begins. What he doesn't know however, is that this is the beginning of a new adventure for him.

but its since blossomed into an amazing slice of life found family story that nevertheless features badass fights, strong worldbuilding, and one of the most chivalrous (by the traditional definition) protagonists to ever grace the page

mentioning it here because the latest crop of chapters made me really want fried chicken

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

panko posted:

if you’re hungry for a new manga to read post- dungeon meshi I highly recommend henkyou no roukishi - bard loen. the mangadex synopsis does a decent job of describing the initial premise:

but its since blossomed into an amazing slice of life found family story that nevertheless features badass fights, strong worldbuilding, and one of the most chivalrous (by the traditional definition) protagonists to ever grace the page

mentioning it here because the latest crop of chapters made me really want fried chicken

Agreed with this, Bard Loen is favorite of mine alongside DM. It's definitely a cooking manga in the same way that DM is, but it takes the tact of focusing on food as a reflection of the people who make it. Its basically if Anthony Bourdain killed demon bears.

Also Bard is a badass and I am massive sucker for "wandering person makes it his life goal to serve the people through the kindness of his heart, but boy oh boy do not threaten him"

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Bard is one of the hottest dads in manga

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Bard Loen is an incredible manga, I'm glad it's getting some appreciation.

It also feels a bit like a series of fables to me. It skims a lot of intrigue/action and skips to the end after-effects of what occurred in a number of the stories. This helps immensely for pacing in the story, but sometimes it feels like there is going to be a big climax and instead the manga tells how things shook out instead of showing it.

Another manga I would recommend is "The Dragon, The Hero and The Courier". If you enjoyed the world building of Meshi, TDTHTC has it in spades. It also goes into hyper focus on the bureaucracy of dungeoneering and is very clever in showing how magic is being replaced by technology and the societal resistance against it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Keep in mind if you read The Dragon, The Hero, and The Courier its really focused on the history of organization and society through the medieval age. Its absolutely great and can go to some bonkers places, but its more like a case study of specific medieval institutions and the invention of certain concepts (like couriers and postal systems) rather than a true story using dungeons/cooking as a backdrop.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Every truly great manga springs out of the creator's hyperfixation on something.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that's all art, really. find the thing you're unhinged about and vomit your thoughts and feeling onto the page.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Keep in mind if you read The Dragon, The Hero, and The Courier its really focused on the history of organization and society through the medieval age. Its absolutely great and can go to some bonkers places, but its more like a case study of specific medieval institutions and the invention of certain concepts (like couriers and postal systems) rather than a true story using dungeons/cooking as a backdrop.

Oh good call, I forgot that there was so much world building because the mangaka is a huge medieval history nerd.

That being said if you like Golden Kamuy's world building through historical fiction, then this is right up there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Oh good call, I forgot that there was so much world building because the mangaka is a huge medieval history nerd.

That being said if you like Golden Kamuy's world building through historical fiction, then this is right up there.

The author does a really good job of balancing real life historical life and fantasy rpg stuff. A funny example are the deed recorders. IRL they were basically guys who recorded all of the deeds and victories of the various nobles so they'd be honored (paid) accordingly. In the series, they're doing that, but it comes out as an RPG style damage log for the purposes of distributing XP.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Not fantasy, but for a historical "Western" set in Hokkaido, Golden Kamuy has a surprising number of food and cooking scenes! And a good cast of well-characterized and goofy characters mixing serious action and drama with comedy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i love golden kamuy to death but I would note that it has a level of graphic violence well above that of dungeon meshi. absolutely all time great series, but one that probably needs a content warning

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Also a lot more sexual content. Dungeon Meshi isn't sexless by any means but it doesn't constantly conspire to get Senshi nude so the other characters can admire his dick

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Another very good fantasy manga about the author's hyperfixation is Magus of the Library. The author spends a lot of effort on the worldbuilding and how it affects the character's worldview and personality.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The main thing I recommend for fans of Dungeon Meshi is Witch Hat Atelier. If you like both of those already, try Drifting Dragons. It’s about a steampunk airship crew that hunts (and eats) dragons, except the dragons are all drawn like giant flying sub aquatic creatures. It’s great

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

The main thing I recommend for fans of Dungeon Meshi is Witch Hat Atelier.

Especially since Witch Hat Atelier has its own cooking-themed spinoff.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Dungeon Meshi, Witch Hat Atelier and Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End are my trifecta of recent fantasy manga.

Looking at the other series mentioned, I gotta give Bard Loen and Library a good go. They sound neat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dragon, Hero and Courier’s worldbuilding descends into an amazing farce as things slowly build up chapter by chapter into something ridiculous and incredible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

The main thing I recommend for fans of Dungeon Meshi is Witch Hat Atelier. If you like both of those already, try Drifting Dragons. It’s about a steampunk airship crew that hunts (and eats) dragons, except the dragons are all drawn like giant flying sub aquatic creatures. It’s great

Drifting Dragons has insane art and a very fun story, lots of great well sketched out characters to. It's very DM tier in those regards. My biggest problem with it is finding a way to read it legally.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Jerkface posted:

Drifting Dragons has insane art and a very fun story, lots of great well sketched out characters to. It's very DM tier in those regards. My biggest problem with it is finding a way to read it legally.

Is it not available through various book retailers? Digitally too, even.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

RuBisCO posted:

Is it not available through various book retailers? Digitally too, even.

i don't want ebooks and i think the only per chapter site stopped updating and ran on that stupid token system

edit: if anyone can point me to a good per chapter English translation i would appreciate it!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 9, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Spoilers for things that are unique to the new episode but hint at future chapters: They really went all out adding background paintings about Marcille's memories - I think this might actually be the most blatant hint that she's half-tallman (moreso than her ears which can be mistaken for stylistic choice). Also I already theorized Pipi was a cockatiel but the painting of them looks a lot like one of my birds, and now I'm crying into my stew. :smith: thanks Dungeon Meshi

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I guess we're spoilering new episode stuff? It rules that that all the previews for the episode were Izutsumi stuff so the back half being this wild trip is something of a surprise, Lol. But Trigger nailed it, very very cool.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I think traditionally they aren't spoilered in this thread, but since there were extra details that weren't in the manga I wanted to play it safe in case anyone wanted to see it for themselves first.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I think we are seeing a delayed reactive wave of interesting fantasy as a result of all the garbage isekai over the last years.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In retrospect, one of the nicer bits of unstated foreshadowing over Izutsumi's real deal is that Lycion exhibits 0 bestial mannerisms at all.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

In retrospect, one of the nicer bits of unstated foreshadowing over Izutsumi's real deal is that Lycion exhibits 0 bestial mannerisms at all.

There's several other factors at play, though.
Izutsumi was transformed as a very young child. Lycion became a beastman as an adult elf fully aware of what he was doing and how, presumably at 100+ years old, and though his life growing up with dysphoria wasn't pleasant, he wasn't treated like a feral animal as a small child. Regardless of which way around Izutsumi's transformation worked, I don't think it's surprising that Lycion is more well-adjusted.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 9, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A jargogle posted:

I think we are seeing a delayed reactive wave of interesting fantasy as a result of all the garbage isekai over the last years.

I mean, a lot of the recommendations in this thread started a decade ago. They just don't get anime releases because grognard manga about the fantasy postal service don't have as wide of appeal as titty isekai, and let's be real there is plenty of that being pumped out.

That being said, I do think there has been a ~10 year shift, which was accelerated with the advent of streaming, towards the idea that audiences are not going to change the channel if your character sit down and talk a bit before charging ahead.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dragon, Hero and Courier’s worldbuilding descends into an amazing farce as things slowly build up chapter by chapter into something ridiculous and incredible.

Dragon, Hero and Courier is amazing and I wished it would continue long enough to reach reveal the banished former hero. But sadly it ended with the final clash between the city and the eight-eyed wizard.