Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

this person is a dipshit but paper coffee lids are fuckin gross. almost as fuckin gross as tim hortons coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that's a lie. tim hortons coffee is far more gross than paper coffee lids. but i do hate them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

timbits are ok though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah i won't turn up my nose at a timbit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
paper straws are indeed nasty tho. they dissolve and turn lovely when youre using them.

there's gotta be a better way.

hell at this point i'd just take a cup that you can tip to just pour the liquid into your mouth like an ape

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

PokeJoe posted:

I don't know anything about how this works in other languages because as an English speaker I too am dumb as dogshit

well i have some bad news about other languages

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh no

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

english, the only language I speak or know, is actually the best language.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's right

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

English is the medium of these forums and is therefore necessarily the worst

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Eminent DNS posted:

English is the medium of these forums and is therefore necessarily the worst

there are some scandinavians who group up from time to time to jabber at each other in their incomprehensible twittering tongues :argh:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Roosevelt posted:

there are some scandinavians who group up from time to time to jabber at each other in their incomprehensible twittering tongues :argh:

pretty sure those aren't real languages and they're just typing random letters and symbols

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hieroglyphics is a real language. well real writing at least

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

and wingdings?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The word "literally" didn't change at all. It works as hyperbole because of its precise meaning.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Biden’s coming to seattle later this week and loving up our traffic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those paper straws that companies were using after that viral turtle video absolutely were terrible

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

this person is a dipshit

also agreed

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

well-read undead posted:

pretty sure those aren't real languages and they're just typing random letters and symbols

once at a former job the two swedes started talking to each other in swedish in a public slack channel and our boss responded by typing ikea names into the channel until they stopped

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

raminasi posted:

once at a former job the two swedes started talking to each other in swedish in a public slack channel and our boss responded by typing ikea names into the channel until they stopped

nice hostile work environment

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

turns out ikea product names are valid swedish and he said some incredibly hurtful things, the kinds of things you can't take back

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ruffian Price posted:

The word "literally" didn't change at all. It works as hyperbole because of its precise meaning.

it's dictionary definition literally changed to include it's antonym

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

Biden’s coming to seattle later this week and loving up our traffic

joe baden

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

turns out ikea product names are valid swedish and he said some incredibly hurtful things, the kinds of things you can't take back

i love the "you look like a bald man with a goiter fisting himself upside down" nightstand, personally

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

it's dictionary definition literally changed to include it's antonym

is this sarcastic?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

is this sarcastic?

i don't see a sarcmark

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

is this sarcastic?

maybe it's the non-literal meaning of literal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

is this sarcastic?

it's an exercise left to the reader

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

paper straws are indeed nasty tho. they dissolve and turn lovely when youre using them.

there's gotta be a better way.

place by me has cornstarch straws that are basically pasta and they work great

also their strawberry lemonade is lemonade with a half inch thick layer of boba-sized chunks of strawberry

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-air-force-airman-23-fatally-shot-florida-sheriffs-deputy-demand-rcna151452

tale as old as time at this point: pigs knock on the wrong door and ventilate a guy as soon as he opens it, then try to make it sound like they're heroes

quote:

He said the sheriff’s office, through its statement about the shooting, had misled the public.

“You go pick it up and read it. What’s it make you think? It makes you think this happened outside. That this kid was in the middle of a disturbance,” Barr said. “And he did something. He instigated this and lost his life. That’s what it makes it sound like. It sounded justified. That’s what they tried to make it sound like.”

In its statement, the sheriff’s office said: “Our deputy responded to a call of a disturbance in progress where he encountered an armed man. The deputy shot the man, who later succumbed to his injuries.”

:sigh:

unfortunately for the cops he was facetiming his girlfriend at the time

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Joeb really making sure that he secures the important PA vote by letting his friend josh send in the riot cops in philly at 530 am

just a day after the PPD got all horned up clearing out a homeless encampment on the other side of the city too

the dems will ensure our campuses are safe environments for genocide lovers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Joeb really making sure that he secures the important PA vote by letting his friend josh send in the riot cops in philly at 530 am

just a day after the PPD got all horned up clearing out a homeless encampment on the other side of the city too

the dems will ensure our campuses are safe environments for genocide lovers

Check this article out

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/letters/2023/08/06/pittsburgh-is-worse-than-philadelphia/stories/202308060036

quote:

Pittsburgh is worse than Philadelphia

I spent several days in Pittsburgh last week and was thinking about writing this, but when I read the story about the state of Downtown and other parts of the City, I knew I had to write (“Downtown, South Side remain epicenters of violence, despite Pittsburgh’s crime numbers — and response,” Aug. 1).

In all my years of living in and visiting Pittsburgh, I have never seen the Downtown look so bad. Empty, dirty, and unsafe. Personally, I experienced an attempted homicide in the lobby of my hotel on Forbes Avenue and was accosted twice walking to my office in Gateway Center. Yes, I live in Philadelphia and as bad as Philadelphia is, Pittsburgh is worse. I am trying to get my colleagues back to work at least four days a week, but with what I experienced, it is apparent downtown has a true chicken and egg dilemma.

But I was also in Lawrenceville, Shady Side, and Squirrel Hill, which were the polar opposite of Downtown. The fact is, for a city to be thriving, it must have a strong core. If something is not done, Pittsburgh will suffer in job loss and reputation. To see friends and associates was wonderful, to experience the Downtown was heartbreaking.

I don’t have the answer, but one thing I know about Pittsburgh is there are people, businesses and organization there that do, and they should be given the chance to make things right.

Larry Ceisler
Philadelphia

Who's Larry Ceisler?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ceisler

quote:

Larry Ceisler is a prominent political operative in Pennsylvania, where he is the principal of Ceisler Media & Issue Advocacy.

In 2010, Politics Magazine named him one of the most influential Democrats in Pennsylvania.[3]

Democrats are all in on creating an image that we need to crack down on cities and clear out the undesirables, and don't let any of them tell you otherwise.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
have you considered that Pittsburgh is bad?

Apr 7, 2003

Crime in the area he's complaining about is a third what it was in 2015, but homelessness has exploded since the covid eviction moratorium ended. Both parties are manufacturing a narrative to remove the homeless by framing them as a criminal element.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
at least they're manufacturing an english narrative

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Check this article out

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/letters/2023/08/06/pittsburgh-is-worse-than-philadelphia/stories/202308060036

Who's Larry Ceisler?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ceisler

Democrats are all in on creating an image that we need to crack down on cities and clear out the undesirables, and don't let any of them tell you otherwise.

So crazy that I'm always living in these dangerous places and nobody mugs me or kills me. I must look like such a badass.

If anyone reading has wikipedia clout I double dog dare you to flag that dude's article as insufficiently notable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was my nickname in college

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

gosh, wonder why birth rates are so low in the neoliberal west. Probably nothing