Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It doesn't ensure that you'll get one you don't already have? That's definitely a lot worse, then.

No, there's no dupe protection, but some of those sell well on the marketboard, so if you luck out, you can get rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
And if you don't luck out you can fill up the 3rd tab of DGKK's FC chest over and over again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was kinda mixed on the R&S demo, abilities had no real sense of power or impact made worse by the characters just sorta being jpegs sliding around space. I may still give it a go though

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I put about an hour into the demo and another into the release so far (and watched a few hours of a stream), and I don't think it'll be much better for you unfortunately. Player attacks and animations are still pretty muted, which I think is in service to easing dodging mechanics and avoiding over-filling the screen when multiplayer. I agree it'd be nice if they could be a bit flashier in single player, though.

The gameplay's real solid for what looks like it could have been a flash game, though, and the mechanics are a lot of fun to do.

If you do give it a go, maybe try Dancer if you didn't in the demo? It's more of a mental impact and not a visible thing on the battlefield, but bouncing between the primary (making sure I was in range) and secondary while watching for resets on my special had just the amount of complexity for me to feel good when I got everything rolling and didn't get hit. Then I picked up an item that did extra damage whenever a proc succeeds (like Dancer's special reset) and got an ability upgrade that also allowed my defensive to reset on a proc, and it was a lot of fun juggling everything.

Then I got cocky and died when I tried to greed an attack I shouldn't have, so at least that's still there. :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
loving hell there's a whole race of Uriangers in Ultima Thule

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't even started the island stuff yet. Is it sorta like the equivalent of the Doma stuff from Stormblood or something?
After the end of 6.0, some of your friends are like "Would you like something to do that doesn't involve slaying old gods or saving the world?" And they give you an island to relax and build a farm on, basically. There's some exclusive mounts, minions, and glamour sets among other stuff. There's an experience system where you gain levels based on the stuff you do on the island, with a max rank of 20, and at certain ranks you get NPC visitors. There's lockboxes you can get after you hit rank 19.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mechanically it fulfills a similar niche as Ishgard Restoration, but with no prior skill in crafting/gathering needed to participate.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also it's fun

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

also it's fun

If you like spreadsheets.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Spreadsheets are only needed if you're determined to figure out schedules for optimal cowrie gain on your own. I didn't care about doing that on my own so I let a discord bot tell me what to put in. No spreadsheets needed to get the 500k cowrie achievement!

Also if you don't care so much about optimal cowrie earning and just want island rank experience, it doesn't matter what your workshops make as long as they're making something. By the time the last island updates came I had all the cowries I needed (still sitting on over a million cowries between my two characters), so I potion-firesanded my way to rank 20 on my characters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Do you not get experience bonuses for popularity? Is that only cowrie generation?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hellioning posted:

If you like spreadsheets.

Spreadsheets are only for minmaxing. If you’re good with just setting your workshops to whatever you want whenever, you’ll still gradually get the currency, just slightly more slowly.

I go in a couple days every few weeks and set stuff to do things based on whatever sounds good at the moment, and I’m at max rank.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you not get experience bonuses for popularity? Is that only cowrie generation?

Yeah, exp is the same for everything as long as you've got the workshop working. If all you care about is advancement, throw whatever you have the mats for in there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, exp is the same for everything as long as you've got the workshop working. If all you care about is advancement, throw whatever you have the mats for in there.

lol welp.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't find my screenshots from when I was testing it and I'm no longer on Overseas Casuals to dig through their info, but a random website I found with FFXIV guides says it's 70 experience per workshop hour and that sounds right enough to me

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

iPodschun posted:

After the end of 6.0, some of your friends are like "Would you like something to do that doesn't involve slaying old gods or saving the world?" And they give you an island to relax and build a farm on, basically. There's some exclusive mounts, minions, and glamour sets among other stuff. There's an experience system where you gain levels based on the stuff you do on the island, with a max rank of 20, and at certain ranks you get NPC visitors. There's lockboxes you can get after you hit rank 19.

You can also get essentially infinite Hi-Cordials, so it's worth doing just for that

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but hi cordials are really only useful for fishing. So it's not a big deal you can generate a lot of them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They are *very* useful for fishing though, I've used thousands in the last few months.
(I have 28 fish left to catch now, I might actually be able to finish this before Dawntrail :smithicide:)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I used ocean fishing as my hi-cordial generation method of choice, but the island is great for that too. Also crafting and gathering materia (not as relevant now, but there'll be uses in DT) and expensive/rare dyes.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The NPCs that visit also serve as a sort of final final capstone story for a few different groups. Nothing too crazy, but cool in a “apocalypse over, what now?” way for some of the NPCs.

Also, more Tataru.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
How many faux leaves do you guys average each week?
I'm going to reach the cap soon and I'm unsure if I should buy a minion now and then try to reach the cap again within the next 7 weeks (I'll probably miss some weeks) or if I should just stop here.
I want to be able to get the new mount and minion in 7.0 and who knows if we'll get an unreal trial before 7.1.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
At 60s ish, what is a good use for Poetics outside of the level 50/level 60 gear? I'm filling up just from daily dungeons and so on.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

At 60s ish, what is a good use for Poetics outside of the level 50/level 60 gear? I'm filling up just from daily dungeons and so on.

The Rowena merchants in each city sell crafting mats for poetics that you can often flip on the MB for a fair chunk of cash. If you feel like just flipping to an NPC vendor you can get (iirc) 12.8k for a full stack of poetics by buying goblinol in Ishgard. It's not the most money ever but it's better than nothing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If you think you'll ever collect relics then their mats are good to stockpile. Takes a lot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Start saving up for a Heavensward relic weapon, there’s a lot of really nice ones.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

leaptosleep posted:

How many faux leaves do you guys average each week?
I'm going to reach the cap soon and I'm unsure if I should buy a minion now and then try to reach the cap again within the next 7 weeks (I'll probably miss some weeks) or if I should just stop here.
I want to be able to get the new mount and minion in 7.0 and who knows if we'll get an unreal trial before 7.1.
Do you use a solver or spreadsheet thing? On average I'd say I probably get around like... 100-125 a week or something but that's a very rough estimate. But yeah in 7 weeks you should definitely be able to cap again if you spend only 400

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Martman posted:

Do you use a solver or spreadsheet thing? On average I'd say I probably get around like... 100-125 a week or something but that's a very rough estimate. But yeah in 7 weeks you should definitely be able to cap again if you spend only 400

I use the spreadsheet. I don't think I earn that many leaves though. Usually I get both dual blades and one or both of the medium boxes. Rarely do I find the commander. So that puts me at ~75 leaves a week? I guess you're right, in 7 weeks I should be able to cap again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm trying the Squadron Command thing.

How do I get my guys to not just stand in the fire during the final Halatali boss? I'm playing as healer (maybe a mistake) and they just stand in the fire and don't attack the fire adds

Edit: Oh I got it, have to make them disengage. Kinda a pain on controller.

Edit2: It seems like any dungeon without invulnerability phases bosses would be easiest to handle, since I can heal through a lot, but the Halatali guy was a problem because he simultaneously becomes invulnerable *and* creates a damage AoE around himself.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 10, 2024

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The squadron are dumb as rocks but they also don't take much damage and if set up right can dish out a huge amount of damage themselves. So yeah the ideal dungeons for them are ones where they can just face roll mindlessly.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, you might have an easier time with the dungeons that are MSQ-related and have been revamped for duty support, like Longstop Normal; at bare minimum, those should have much easier mechs for the squadron AI, which is dumber than duty support AI but similar enough that it should be able to read duty support-friendly mechs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bind the engage button (and the squadron LB) to your regular bars, they're available in your spells and abilities panel, near the chocobo buttons. Squadron AI is not good at target switching so if you have bosses where that's required, send them to attack the adds/crystals etc.

The fire puddles won't be up long if they deal with the big fire sprites - and then make sure they kill the boss and not the random tiny sprites which do negligible damage you can easily heal through.

But yes, their AI is really basic and they will occasionally do dumb things like turning bosses towards the party and getting them cleaved. Or die to coincounter AoEs by standing in all of them, but that's more because squadron healer AI is bad at dealing with damage spikes which is why healer is the one role players are better at.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 10, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Onean posted:

A bit off topic, but the "raiding roguelike" Rabbit and Steel is out, for those that like the design of raid fights and want some more of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfcz9XtYVQ

Edit: :lmao: They're even doing a no-stakes World First Race for Lunar difficulty tomorrow.

lmao

nice

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

orcane posted:

and then make sure they kill the boss and not the random tiny sprites which do negligible damage you can easily heal through.

If only I could make actual DPS players in the Halatalis do that. Ideally they'd also ignore the big sprites.

It's difficult to make DPS appreciate that if they can stand in the bad and get 1 extra GCD of damage at the cost of making me use 1 extra GCD on healing them then that is a good trade that they should be making. Especially since 90% of the time I'm not actually going to use a GCD on them, I'll just press one of my multitude of readily available Sage freebies.

I can appreciate that "do mechanics" is a good default but often there's an appended "at all costs" which with the mildness of dungeon numbers isn't really helpful. If a boss is forcing you to do something awkward then it's a good idea to figure out if you can just get hit instead. I try to demonstratively shield up and stand in the bad for some mechanics, but 90% of the time the melee run and hide behind a boulder out of range of the boss anyhow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

leaptosleep posted:

I use the spreadsheet. I don't think I earn that many leaves though. Usually I get both dual blades and one or both of the medium boxes. Rarely do I find the commander. So that puts me at ~75 leaves a week? I guess you're right, in 7 weeks I should be able to cap again.

80ish a week is probably typical. Even a solver won't save you if the first two most likely starting points are empty. It's pretty normal to not find the commander, though if you get both the swords and the box without an initial miss a solver for the most likely commander position makes a big difference.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weird, did they get rid of one time payment via steam? Every time I've bought game time I've just gone through mogstation and paid for the cheaper entry version, but I never remember it having any kind of auto-renewal / I don't recall there being a subscription option for "entry" but I guess they must have added one because when I went to buy time about a month ago I guess I bought a sub version of it cause I just got a "about to renew" notice and I in fact do have a pre-auth for FFXIV in steam.

Or did I just click the wrong thing when buying time lol? (I did just go check mogstation and didn't see anything that looked like a one time payment, but I dont know if that's cause I got a sub running)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

If only I could make actual DPS players in the Halatalis do that. Ideally they'd also ignore the big sprites.

It's difficult to make DPS appreciate that if they can stand in the bad and get 1 extra GCD of damage at the cost of making me use 1 extra GCD on healing them then that is a good trade that they should be making. Especially since 90% of the time I'm not actually going to use a GCD on them, I'll just press one of my multitude of readily available Sage freebies.

I can appreciate that "do mechanics" is a good default but often there's an appended "at all costs" which with the mildness of dungeon numbers isn't really helpful. If a boss is forcing you to do something awkward then it's a good idea to figure out if you can just get hit instead. I try to demonstratively shield up and stand in the bad for some mechanics, but 90% of the time the melee run and hide behind a boulder out of range of the boss anyhow.

Unfortunalty, most healers don't think this way, so DPS has to adjust. Otherwise, we'd be more than happy to stand in the bad while you heal us.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What, do healers stop healing you? Yell at you?

Unless you're collecting vuln stacks then die to the next unavoidable damage pulse, but that's not the point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't like when strangers assume I'm bad even when I'm good, and deliberately eating damage in a pub is a great way to make people think I'm bad

Look I had a healer get shirty with me for standing in melee range as MCH (I had taken no damage), I don't trust people to assume I'm doing the """wrong""" thing for good reason

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When the boss is at 0.2% and everyone stops to do a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also broadly doing mechanics is more fun. If I'm with 3 friends in EXDR yeah I'll eat aoes too make it go faster but otherwise probably not