Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gologle posted:

I wonder how many children worked unpaid child slave labor to make this

so this is how the world government gets them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

so does this mean they're gonna kill all the marines too? bc lol

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Question: Why is Elder Spider-Man smashing up the Mother Flame? I thought they needed it for their plans to work? Or is he just trying to get it out of the containment chamber somehow?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
edit:nvm,

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the dole here is pretty much perfect one of my big concerns with the introduction of vegapunk is he would indirectly obsolete a lot of the personal sides of the journey beating half the strawhats at their jobs but it hasnt manifested that way at all and that extends to the void century which teases a piece of a complex tale but makes it clear the rio poneglyph is still necessary for the rest of it, but we still get fully sick drops like the ultimate threat being climate change played completely straight which i love and a richer context to joy boy's story

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also regarding nika i'm really growing on the idea of joy boy manifesting the nika fruit dreaming of preexisting giant fable rather than being the inspiration for the god or some direct incarnation

it just seems more romantic to me

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Violen posted:

also regarding nika i'm really growing on the idea of joy boy manifesting the nika fruit dreaming of preexisting giant fable rather than being the inspiration for the god or some direct incarnation

it just seems more romantic to me

I just love the idea that Joyboy wasn't the start of the Nika idea, he was just another dude with the Nika fruit! It just makes the whole thing so much more interesting. Who the gently caress was Nika if he wasn't Joyboy? Did the world have actual Gods before Devil Fruits existed?

I'm starting to think One Piece might be Lord of Light by Zelazny.

TGG fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 10, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Question: Why is Elder Spider-Man smashing up the Mother Flame? I thought they needed it for their plans to work? Or is he just trying to get it out of the containment chamber somehow?

he's trying to get it out of containment so it can be spirited away somehow, since the preceding panels say that they need to "preserve the contents of that room" at all costs

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
When we were at the end of Wano I thought the Five Elders would've been years apart and one on one fights, but the straw hats are holding their own against all five of them at once man One Piece rules

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So the cat is probably out of the bag as far as Luffy being the Second Coming, right? Feels like most people who hear the story 'once there was a guy with stretchy rubber powers, and he kicked major rear end' and then look at the guy with similar powers who rose from a no-name pirate to one of the Four Emperors could probably put two and two together.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I can't wait for the pre-oceans flashback showing Joyboy palling around with the world's tallest land elephant

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Inadequately posted:

So the cat is probably out of the bag as far as Luffy being the Second Coming, right? Feels like most people who hear the story 'once there was a guy with stretchy rubber powers, and he kicked major rear end' and then look at the guy with similar powers who rose from a no-name pirate to one of the Four Emperors could probably put two and two together.
Will be interesting to see how the common man resolves the image of Luffy in the public consciousness (“feared criminal who smashed up Enies Lobby and freed thousands of the world’s worst criminals”) vs. what Vegapunk is presenting here. I feel like Oda has made a point of reminding us periodically that Luffy is thought of much differently outside of our usual POVs, but bro has liberated so many countries and saved so many people at this point that there surely must be a counter-narrative to what’s being written in the World Economic Journal.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's an odd disconnect where imu and the elders coddle and pamper the celestial dragons to no end despite not seeming to care about them much. they're ancient immortal monsters, why should they care about such a useless bunch? it could be an odd cultural thing, but i think it's more likely that the dragons have a purpose that we have yet to learn. if so, they might also be unaware of it.

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing. The Celestial Dragons seem utterly useless so why is the draconian elite ruling the world wasting time and resources keeping them around and using the world's military to maintain their incredibly exploitive and hedonistic lifestyle? I also thing they have a role they aren't aware of and probably won't like very much. It's possible they are jus a visible elite we are supposed to hate a cheer for when they fall but that seems kinda too simple for One Piece especially with all the lore dumping we've been getting so I dont think thats it anymore.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Tampa Bae posted:

When we were at the end of Wano I thought the Five Elders would've been years apart and one on one fights, but the straw hats are holding their own against all five of them at once man One Piece rules

Holding their own is a stretch. Not immediately losing, sure, but that's also with the Giant Pirates helping out a ton, and the Elders have other things distracting them. We still haven't seen the Strawhats do any serious or permanent damage to them, while Luffy is burning his hands repeatedly, Chopper is clearly not having a good time against Saturn, and Sanji got audibly crunched.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Meanwhile Zoro spent like 5 chapters fighting a dude from the 1st half of the Grand Line

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

it would have been funny if the Joyboy description given by Vegapunk was vague enough where it could also describe Buggy, increasing his fame even more

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Meanwhile Zoro spent like 5 chapters fighting a dude from the 1st half of the Grand Line

rob lucci is the world govt’s #1 assassin

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arist posted:

We're gonna see Joyboy

Joyboy's gonna have the eyepatch

Holy poo poo

Yep. Either that, or Luffy gets blinded during his fight with Blackbeard later on.

Cat Machine posted:

this panel is so loving HYPE dude

I predict that Doffy is gonna meet up with Luffy etc for a reunion for the raid on Mariejois/fleeing the rising world water level and that's when we will finally get the Doffy eye reveal.

ThingOne posted:

It looks like even the Celestial Dragons don't know anything about the Void Century

Yeah, I think they're just useful idiots for the World Government to let them take the fall for the world's collective anger to distract them from finding out about the Void Century which coincidentally is now starting to fall apart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I predict that Doffy is gonna meet up with Luffy etc for a reunion for the raid on Mariejois/fleeing the rising world water level and that's when we will finally get the Doffy eye reveal.

He'll have Pekoms-style eyes :3:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

He”ll have two eyepatches and it turns out he was blind all along and using strings to get around.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

bobjr posted:

it would have been funny if the Joyboy description given by Vegapunk was vague enough where it could also describe Buggy, increasing his fame even more

A FLASHY MAN -- DETERMINED TO MAKE THE WORLD LAUGH AND SMILE!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, I think they're just useful idiots for the World Government to let them take the fall for the world's collective anger to distract them from finding out about the Void Century which coincidentally is now starting to fall apart.

I agree, the Celestial Dragons main purpose seems to be acting as a smokescreen to distract from who's actually in charge while also establishing "legitimacy" as the public-facing living gods of the World Government without risking anyone really important.

I also think it would be super interesting if they were in the dark about all of this. They're already rioting over the lack of food and slaves and they are unbelievably stupid and entitled, so if Vegapunk wraps up his history lesson by saying "and then the Celestial Dragons were set up as useless patsies for the real rulers" they might actually fully flip out and try to rebel. Which would be a hilarious twist.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Thinking about the earthquake followed by a rising sea some more and I can't believe One Piece is actually the hit 2001 Disney film Atlantis.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I agree, the Celestial Dragons main purpose seems to be acting as a smokescreen to distract from who's actually in charge while also establishing "legitimacy" as the public-facing living gods of the World Government without risking anyone really important.

I also think it would be super interesting if they were in the dark about all of this. They're already rioting over the lack of food and slaves and they are unbelievably stupid and entitled, so if Vegapunk wraps up his history lesson by saying "and then the Celestial Dragons were set up as useless patsies for the real rulers" they might actually fully flip out and try to rebel. Which would be a hilarious twist.

That would also explain why the Dragons are above all laws, it keeps them content and the anger of those who know about the CDs focused squarely on them

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It also explains why York is so confident that becoming a Celestial Dragon is really on the table, if she knows that the Elders have set it up as a sinecure and aren’t buying their own hype.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so stupid that it was only just now it only really hit me that OF COURSE the part of Vegapunk that is lazy and whose only contribution is to eat and poo poo would aspire to be a Celestial Dragon :doh:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So Woop Slap only got a cameo there just now because the western fanbase memed him into that top 100 character poll a while back right?

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Inadequately posted:

I don’t really love the ”Second Coming” framing for a couple of reasons—we don’t know if this is just the second time this has happened (part of me expects Imu to do an Architect-tells-Neo-he’s-the-sixth-The-One bit), and I am not getting a lot of strong Jesus vibes from Luffy.

I’m really looking forward to the Strawhats actually getting the chance to talk to each other about all the poo poo they’re just learning. It’s one thing to disdain being called a hero and run away from the islands they’ve saved after the big party, but it’s not clear how they’ll react to being instruments of destiny or fated heroes or something.

I feel like the legacy of Joyboy may be more complicated, too. He obviously failed, if we assume history was written (or in this case, erased) by the victors. There’s also got to be a reason Shanks is saying he’ll go after the One Piece/an excuse for other people to continue going after it following Vegapunk’s broadcast. Something as simple as “Luffy is Pirate Jesus reborn” just doesn’t feel right for Oda’s moral universe. It would really flatten the conflicts in a bad way.

All that said, yeah it’s really hard to imagine informed people won’t make the connection between Nika, Joyboy, and Luffy.

Having another break next week is so cruel.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So Woop Slap only got a cameo there just now because the western fanbase memed him into that top 100 character poll a while back right?

Some dialogue in past chapters have suggested him and makino know more than they let on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wonder if Luffy will get yet another bounty increase, but probably not

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

At first the plan was 'Destroy all the pirates and the transmission but keep safe the lab and the mother flame and the other things we need.' Now, the plan is 'oh gently caress, oh poo poo, oh gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress'

Also I love that this setup is letting the five elders come across as unstoppable beasts at the same time as it shows them flailing in panic. They are being outsmarted by a mastermind who has been planning things from way before the strawhats ever set to the seas, but the idea of the strawhats surviving against these things for more than a minute on their own still seems impossible.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 10, 2024

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Meowywitch posted:

I wonder if Luffy will get yet another bounty increase, but probably not

If the WG wants to salvage this situation they pretty much have to pin it all on the Strawhats. The only way I don't see them getting a bounty increase is if Imu decides everything's hosed and goes for a full reset.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThingOne posted:

If the WG wants to salvage this situation they pretty much have to pin it all on the Strawhats. The only way I don't see them getting a bounty increase is if Imu decides everything's hosed and goes for a full reset.

Every other pirate has their bounty released to solely put focus on the Straw Hats

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Every other pirate has their bounty released to solely put focus on the Straw Hats

What if the WG gets the Cross Guild to try and take care of the Strawhats lol

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

What if the WG gets the Cross Guild to try and take care of the Strawhats lol

You have to love how Buggy was introduced as a clown themed pirate but steadily evolved into his true form: a pirate themed clown.

Also if this happened he would just straight up burst into tears and his followers would love him all the more for it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing. The Celestial Dragons seem utterly useless so why is the draconian elite ruling the world wasting time and resources keeping them around and using the world's military to maintain their incredibly exploitive and hedonistic lifestyle? I also thing they have a role they aren't aware of and probably won't like very much. It's possible they are jus a visible elite we are supposed to hate a cheer for when they fall but that seems kinda too simple for One Piece especially with all the lore dumping we've been getting so I dont think thats it anymore.

Maybe they're being kept around as breeding stock so that after Imu and the Elders flood the world and everyone's dead except the Celestial Dragons, their minds get wiped and then they get sent out to repopulate the world.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Also if this happened he would just straight up burst into tears and his followers would love him all the more for it.

"He weeps because he has to take down his comrade from the paramount war! We love you, chairman!"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"He weeps because he has to take down his comrade from the paramount war! We love you, chairman!"

100% this. Buggy failing upwards is the best joke One Piece has ever made and it just keeps getting better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Buggy failing upwards is pretty much peak Oda writing, not just because it’s a funny 10+ year bit, but because of the moment where Buggy has the moment where he wants to go after the One Piece because it’s the dream of every pirate and because failing upward has somehow lead him to become one of the big movers in the OP world, while also showing the real reason Buggy hates Shanks and also just decided to lord it over scrubs in East Blue was because he thought Shanks would be the future King and Buggy could never compete, and is immeasurably disappointed that Shanks just never (seemingly) had that dog in him.

It’s gonna own when we get the reveal that Shanks never wanted to see the One Piece because he wanted to go with his best buddy Buggy. Well, I’m assuming that’s what’s gonna happen at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I started reading again,

wow more like Dickflamingo am I right???