Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

plebian parasite by one single atom

pp get me your movie when you can

lol goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Duel to the Death
can't tell how much of my enjoying this was not having watched anything in the genre for a long time, but this was cool! good pick IMO. agree that the dubbing is awkward (very early 1980s), but trying to find easily accessible dubs over subs is very definitely not a new struggle, even for some big, mainstream movies. sometimes you have to take what you can get. :shrug: one thing that's weirdly off-putting is that some of the dub actors are actually pretty good compared to the rest of them, which gives it some tonal whiplash in terms of the delivery. whatever - it's a movie that relies mostly on its imagery, anyway. like, despite all of the plot twists, i was always more engaged with the way it was presented than the content.

i feel like my inexperience here will hold me back from saying anything elegant about what i enjoyed probably, lol. here's the perspective from an idiot wuxia rookie: for a debut director, i think this was impressive in a lot of ways. so many of the shots are really beautiful. in an era where every combat scene is filmed in the dark, the bright light and wide open spaces were a breath of fresh air (it also creates a cool contrast for later in the movie when they do the scenes later that are just the actors against a black background or fighting in a sort of white mist between the clouds and sea, which STILL require more effort in doing the fight choreography than a lot of the superhero Disney dark alleyway). color contrasts are often used to highlight characters or even landmarks, even outside of the the fight choreography. just a lot of nice, little touches, like framing a shot mostly in a pond's reflection, during an evasive conversation, filming the actors mostly behind bushes when they're obscuring their identities from each other a bit, often letting the camera blur intentionally, focusing intently on the glint of a sword for a microsecond, etc. the pacing whiplash from people being exquisitely slow and deliberate in their movements to moving almost cartoonishly fast is something i missed about this kind of movie. the ending fights in the last 20 minutes in particular are a a joy to watch.

i think my only complaint is i wanted more of the cool fight scenes! or at least... more of the scenes that fall into the "magical realism" realm, for as well as i'm able to put it? i never latched to any of the characters, tbh, it was all about the visuals.

it feels like every single decision on framing the camera had a ton of thought put into it. some movies are just pretty, and they really don't have to be anything else!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also, thank you, Fungah, for running this for the dozen or so people who read it, lol. nice to have an online movie club :cheers:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

also, thank you, Fungah, for running this for the dozen or so people who read it, lol. nice to have an online movie club :cheers:

dude, its been great. so many good movies that ive never seen before

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

this. i think i said it earlier but i p much didnt watch movies much at all before the last one and this one. lot of fun to watch + discuss.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah it's been a lot of fun even just reading about some of the stuff I've skipped lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

now that i've seen the varied tenor of suggestions i have so many ideas lol :D

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
After careful consideration I've decided my movie will be an independent animated film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

After careful consideration I've decided my movie will be an independent animated film.

From the 70s?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

after careful consideration ive decided mine will be set at a volume specifically modulated to liquefy your brain

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've got my next movie picked. It's very 80s

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

From the 70s?

2010's

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the other two movies i was considering over Parenthood were Wristcutters: a Love story and Sherman's March, lmao.

but The Third Man being included makes me wish i'd picked some of noir faves, there's one in particular that i'd love to read the reviews for.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Without movie club I wouldn't think "great big whoppers of things" to myself and chuckle now every time I see big tits, thanks movie club!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Third Man

3/5. I dunno, there's a lot of fun here but overall I'm not seasoned enough with movies of this era to feel like I can appreciate it all. I do like how Holly was not only completely outclassed in every single social situation he was exposed to, but also how oblivious he was to being strung along by whatever character happened to walk through the door. To the point where it starts to rub off on the viewer because it's always a little unlcear exactly how involved Anna was with the whole scheme. Orson Welles steals the show a little bit, to be expected. The loving spongebob music playing through every scene was a little grating and felt like it cut through every semi serious moment with this weird bemused whimsy; it kinda worked but it was also a bit much. The movie works well with you being just as clueless as Holly but I think it would be cool to have a version that actually translates all the foreign dialogue too, really curious as to what the crowd was saying after the porter's murder.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

ya much like game club i don't participate in time as much as i'd like to lol but i appreciate it. i've added a lot of stuff to my library to eventually watch

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

UHF
Courtesy of Plebian Parasite

An unemployed visionary becomes the manager of a local television station. The station becomes a success, with all sorts of hilarious sight gags and wacky humor.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iih5a2Zq_JU

Director: Jay Levey
Writer: 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Jay Levey, Charles Holloway
Stars: 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Jay Levey, Charles Holloway

Available On: Fubo, Tubi, PlutoTV
Available From: 5/13 - 5/27

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

required watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUi926ses94

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I also have a 2010's independent animated film picked out.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

My independent animated film is from 2009

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

UHF

An unemployed visionary becomes the manager of a local television station. The station becomes a success, with all sorts of hilarious sight gags and wacky humor.

Hell yeah. Been wanting to rewatch this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

aww you're sweet

rodbeard posted:

I also have a 2010's independent animated film picked out.

hello human resources

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
uhf lol ive seen this movie more than a few times and sadly the last time was kind of recent so it still feels a bit too fresh, comedy works better when it surprises you and i remember most of the funny scenes still

o welle

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

UHF

lol hell yeah. been on my pick list too

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

comedy works better when it surprises you

starbarry clock posted:

i like how the arrow points at johns head when he pops out first then when yokos out the john arrow points at the toilet because a toilet is a john!

granted, that was surprising

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

symbolic posted:

aww you're sweet

hello human resources

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Duel to the Death

Sick movie. Loses half a star because the dub was Neil Breen level.

3.5/4

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

symbolic posted:

aww you're sweet

hello human resources

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

also cool an excuse to finally watch UHF

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

aww you're sweet

hello human resources

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

tmfc posted:

also cool an excuse to finally watch UHF

You never needed an excuse

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

UHF rules. Perfect stupid comedy

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive never seen uhf because its not on any streaming service in australia

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

looks like they never released a dvd in this region either. wtf, no wonder id never heard of it growing up

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

aww you're sweet

hello human resources

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off posted:

looks like they never released a dvd in this region either. wtf, no wonder id never heard of it growing up

Have you ever considered immigrating?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

penal colony unfortunately

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

ive never seen uhf because its not on any streaming service in australia

well at least you have all the great hallmarks of Australian culture in its place.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to calm down a crying toddler after explaining that bluey and bingo's country doesn't have weird Al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

the streaming in asia is worse unfortunately