Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harold Zettler, Malkavian antitribu and member of the Pentex Board of Directors gets namedropped as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yes, Void Engineers are the "um. gently caress this poo poo, we're outta here!" subfaction of the technology wizards, which is honestly one of the most rational choices having gone so hard down the Evil Route to unraveling the truest mysteries of the World of Darkness lore. I respect it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

when I saw VE I was fully expecting much greater metanarrative WoD hijinks to ensue, alas tiger was enough

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wizard2 posted:

Yes, Void Engineers are the "um. gently caress this poo poo, we're outta here!" subfaction of the technology wizards, which is honestly one of the most rational choices having gone so hard down the Evil Route to unraveling the truest mysteries of the World of Darkness lore. I respect it.

Also depending on your edition the Void Engineers are dealing with one of the greatest threats to the setting, Threat Null, which is all the super powerful higherups in the Technocracy who were stranded in the Umbra when travel to and from it got super hard and are coming back capital-C changed. Thread Null is awesome.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m genuinely crestfallen abt WoD bc it always has the most bugfuck lunatic concepts but no one is around to use them

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Also depending on your edition the Void Engineers are dealing with one of the greatest threats to the setting, Threat Null, which is all the super powerful higherups in the Technocracy who were stranded in the Umbra when travel to and from it got super hard and are coming back capital-C changed. Thread Null is awesome.

Where can I read more about this?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

someone did a huge effort post on in the tradgames thread a few years back, but doing a thread search for "threat null" only brought up six results, none of which were what I remembered

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TTBF posted:

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Threat_Null

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you, the wiki having sources helped me a lot in finding the right sourcebook to get my fill of this. (Convention Book: Void Engineers from 2013)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TTBF posted:

Thank you, the wiki having sources helped me a lot in finding the right sourcebook to get my fill of this. (Convention Book: Void Engineers from 2013)

It's mentioned in the Mage 20th Anniversary edition, a little, but Satyros Phil Brucato went in a different direction for the Technocracy that was much less interesting.

Edit: New favorite line:

Book of Hungry Names posted:

"I have heard the Litany," Nin says, rolling her eyes. Her understanding of irony has been improving lately. It's been difficult for everyone.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished my black fury gaillard social heavy run last night.
Kept human casualties under 10, used Katherine to beat answering tiger despite not believing her the first time she said her plan. Stormcat saying she was close to right had me go that route when I was originally planning to focus on the caern.
Did not kill Elton, Kept the whole pack alive and focused on rebuilding the human community while smooching melodie.

I think a big reason this was more enjoyable than Night Roads, which again, is awesome, is that vampire existence is far more solitary. Having the pack and all their personalities to bounce off of just made things so fun.

Someone posted that this writer has some fantasy themed games, are they this solid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Kept human casualties under 10, used Katherine to beat answering tiger despite not believing her the first time she said her plan. Stormcat saying she was close to right had me go that route when I was originally planning to focus on the caern.
Did not kill Elton, Kept the whole pack alive and focused on rebuilding the human community while smooching melodie.

I think a big reason this was more enjoyable than Night Roads, which again, is awesome, is that vampire existence is far more solitary. Having the pack and all their personalities to bounce off of just made things so fun.

How do you keep the casualties under ten? Never managed it.

Agreed on the pack's personalities (plus Nomi and supporting characters like your boss, the Three Families, etc.) making it feel much more alive than the Night Roads courier who is bouncing around from place to place.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
lmao I got to like, probably near the end and the update kicked me back to chapter 3

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Soonmot posted:

Someone posted that this writer has some fantasy themed games, are they this solid?

Pon Para is not quite as good as Book of Hungry names but it’s still an excellent series with a deeply weird fantasy setting that I heartily recommend.

It’s world is a broken husk imperfectly held together by a god machine underpining reality and magic is basically reaching into that god machine to root access hack what you need.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

/\/\/\ty!

Dawgstar posted:

How do you keep the casualties under ten? Never managed it.

I was very human focused and empowered the community to fight back instead of ignoring them or using them as cannon fodder

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh, I forgot to mention with The Book of Hungry names that I really appreciated the mention of Nin performing Nowhere Fast, from Streets of Fire (the 2nd call out of that movie.) The song really fits a lot of the mood and tone of how the game presents Werewolf: The Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TVgTcotFZU

Great movie all around btw.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 21, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention with The Book of Hungry names that I really appreciated the mention of Nin performing Nowhere Fast, from Streets of Fire (the 2nd call out of that movie.) The song really fits a lot of the mood and tone of how the game presents Werewolf: The Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TVgTcotFZU

Great movie all around btw.

She also plays Konya wa Hurricane from Bubblegum Crisis if you get the super good ending with max renown, all packmates (which includes Daphne) and all human allies alive at the end.

I actually watched Streets of Fire for the first time because I looked up who Ellen Aim and the Attackers were because Nin was wearing a shirt and it was like pop culture scales fell from my eyes. "Oh, THIS is where they got it from."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

She also plays Konya wa Hurricane from Bubblegum Crisis if you get the super good ending with max renown, all packmates (which includes Daphne) and all human allies alive at the end.

I actually watched Streets of Fire for the first time because I looked up who Ellen Aim and the Attackers were because Nin was wearing a shirt and it was like pop culture scales fell from my eyes. "Oh, THIS is where they got it from."

Yeah, the opening to Bubblegum Crisis is an homage to Streets of Fire. It was a big cult hit in Japan in the 80s, and it's not even the only OVA to reference it. Red Photon Zillion: Burning Night's opening and a lot of the overall plot is copying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIg_c_LcwVA

Megazone 23 just has it as a movie the characters go and watch:

It was also influential on stuff like the Cyberpunk ttrpg, and video games like Streets of Rage and Final Fight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Werewolf game along the lines of that really neat Heart of the Forest to be wishlisted or not as the spirit moves you: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2463980/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__Purgatory/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I liked the last one. Hope this one’s a bit longer though.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Heart of the forest felt like a demo. Im pretty sure I cleared my first run in like 30-40 min

The foundation is good but it introduces all these mechanics and then just … ends

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In a bit of synchronicity, excellent youtuber Patrick H Williams just dropped a video on Streets of Fire a couple days back!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

ahem. Patrick H. "Willems". Shame

I admit i don't know the history behind it but my personal guess is it's an obvious play off Willem (William James) Dafoe

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
fucken auto correct.

I learned that Tom Cruise was going to be the lead for the movie, but he did Legend instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

fucken auto correct.

I learned that Tom Cruise was going to be the lead for the movie, but he did Legend instead.

The darkest timeline. Like Patrick said I don't wanna dump on Pare because he doesn't seem like a bad guy but imagining young Tom Cruise in the role? Then the entire movie is the best movie ever and not just twenty minutes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
for folks who've played through multiple times, do you make anything of your last name changing? I've been October, December, and January.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Soonmot posted:

for folks who've played through multiple times, do you make anything of your last name changing? I've been October, December, and January.

No idea. It changes when you select your auspice and goes from September to January. But I don't really see how the names of months directly following each other would relate to moon phases?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
BL2 Ventrue abilities announced, still feels like the least amount of :effort:
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/clan-highlight-ventrue

"
Flesh of Marble

Clan Passive: Feeding hardens your skin, making you highly resistant to damage.

Cloud Memory

Cause a target to forget you were there, putting them into a relaxed state.

Possession

Possess an opponent, allowing you to see through their eyes for a period. While possessed, the target can be commanded to attack another person.

Terminal Decree

Use your powers of Dominate to command someone to kill themselves. 

Mass Manipulation

Subdues enemies within your gaze, preventing them from attacking. Dominate abilities will affect all subdued opponents while Mass Manipulation is active.

Thirst

Clan Perk: Increases the amount of health restored by feeding.
"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Good god this game is going to crater so hard people will think it dropped from orbit

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

wiegieman posted:

Good god this game is going to crater so hard people will think it dropped from orbit

I legitimately keep forgetting its coming out. Sad really. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was excited when it was announced.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wiegieman posted:

I'm quietly hopeful :shobon:

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I think it'll be fine, but forgettable. The best moment will be when you finish it and decide to replay the first game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Trenchdeep posted:

I think it'll be fine, but forgettable. The best moment will be when you finish it and decide to replay the first game

I've been pondering a new playthrough. I wonder what Wesp's latest patch is like.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

I've been pondering a new playthrough. I wonder what Wesp's latest patch is like.

Wait he's still going?!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's always exciting to find where the sword has been moved to this time.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Trenchdeep posted:

Wait he's still going?!

he's working with others on expanding the hunter prologue mod people put together last I heard

edit:updated 8 days ago

pnutz fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 30, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sebmojo posted:

I'm quietly hopeful :shobon:

I need to know what the start menu music is like before I feel any hope.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

my dead brother pre ordered this game for me 5 years ago so i am morally obligated to finish it regardless of its goodness/badness.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Roobanguy posted:

my dead brother pre ordered this game for me 5 years ago so i am morally obligated to finish it regardless of its goodness/badness.

:hai:
godspeed!

if you post a public review, I would be interested in reading it (sympathetic, non-ghoulish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

wiegieman posted:

This legit breaks my heart because it means nobody is gonna touch this stupid cursed franchise again, despite the fact that cringey goth childhood me will always treasure my gay vampire roleplaying experiences with it