Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
never envied anime-onlys as much as i do with this manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I still remember finishing the anime and thinking "If I start reading the manga I won't have to wait years to learn what happened to Nobara. :) "

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rkd_ posted:

But the author did not merely do that, they justified it in-universe in a way that does not make much sense.

It's not too surprising though, the whole story has rules and exceptions added to fit the narrative rather than having the narrative written around those rules and exceptions.

It makes sense.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This author seems to think he can make things up to fit his narrative. Who does he think he is

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Scallop Eyes posted:

Furnace just being a straight nuke is pretty impressive, lol that it only killed Choso tho.

Art was somewhat rough except the 2 first spreads, I hope Gege is healthy to give us some cool choreography now that Todo's back

Seems like it's a massive dust explosion enabled by malevolent shrine atomizing everything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Scallop Eyes posted:

Furnace just being a straight nuke is pretty impressive, lol that it only killed Choso tho.

Art was somewhat rough except the 2 first spreads, I hope Gege is healthy to give us some cool choreography now that Todo's back

only choso..... :(

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It makes sense.

Why did it not matter that Yuji knew the whole plan until now? I also wonder if those who were teleported out will have a significant impact hereafter, or if this was just a means to get Todo back into the story.

FWIW, I understand Todo not joining the fight until now. I don't know what Yuji not knowing adds to the story, and now Gege had to add a rather consequential concept to the mix without any explanation as to how this issue was dealt with previously. We've also already had plenty of surprise appearances in this fight that Yuji was aware of and we, as the audience, were not, so having Todo come in to rescue a bunch of people at the last second wouldn't have felt that weird.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This author seems to think he can make things up to fit his narrative. Who does he think he is

There is a skill to creatively dealing with constraints in my opinion. An author can use the 'Well in this case it's different because..." only so many times before it feels a bit random and perhaps even cheap, as nothing that is said or done matters anymore.

EDIT: Can't wait to see Yuji use his version of furnace.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 10, 2024

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

rkd_ posted:

Why did it not matter that Yuji knew the whole plan until now? I also wonder if those who were teleported out will have a significant impact hereafter, or if this was just a means to get Todo back into the story.

FWIW, I understand Todo not joining the fight until now. I don't know what Yuji not knowing adds to the story, and now Gege had to add a rather consequential concept to the mix without any explanation as to how this issue was dealt with previously. We've also already had plenty of surprise appearances in this fight that Yuji was aware of and we, as the audience, were not, so having Todo come in to rescue a bunch of people at the last second wouldn't have felt that weird.

There is a skill to creatively dealing with constraints in my opinion. An author can use the 'Well in this case it's different because..." only so many times before it feels a bit random and perhaps even cheap, as nothing that is said or done matters anymore.

EDIT: Can't wait to see Yuji use his version of furnace.

Gege has been slow rolling the information he’s revealed for some reason. The soul swap stuff being revealed only as Yuji gets hit with the domain doesn’t make much sense , unless Gege is building to something with it.

We all knew they were doing it but not how or why. I can only assume because what happens next is gonna go to a big reveal and I’d be willing to bet money Nobara is gonna be one of those big reveals now, based on how we’ve been continually slow rolled information over this fight .

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Until this chapter I still thought Nobara coming back was cope, but now I think it could actually happen. Especially since Gege has brought up the concept of keeping things from Yuji to avoid leaking to Sukuna. I hope near the end of this he does a flashback showing the whole plan rather than bits and pieces

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I need some extremely convoluted body swap bullshit that ends with Sukuna stuck in a frog's body.

Get Ginyu'd, nerd.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Asuron posted:

Gege has been slow rolling the information he’s revealed for some reason.

Pacing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

But is the pacing of this good or bad? Not sure I think constantly interrupting your fight to backfill information about whats happening in the moment is my favorite (and really, main) tool being used here.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Watch it turn out that because Sukuna has four eyes his spatial awareness is much better than everyone else's and allows him to deal with Boogie Woogie's disorienting combat capabilities

BUT THEN it turns out that Mahito's partial soul transformation on Todo added a whole new dimension to Boogie Woogie's abilities and Sukuna still gets caught off guard regardless

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gologle posted:

Watch it turn out that because Sukuna has four eyes his spatial awareness is much better than everyone else's and allows him to deal with Boogie Woogie's disorienting combat capabilities

BUT THEN it turns out that Mahito's partial soul transformation on Todo added a whole new dimension to Boogie Woogie's abilities and Sukuna still gets caught off guard regardless

He's gonna boogie woogie sukunas soul out of his body and into a frog

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

He's gonna boogie woogie sukunas soul out of his body and into a frog

:sickos:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

That was my whole post...

Did you read it or stop there? I even say he's building up to something using this kind of pacing...

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It would be incredible if they still never mention Nobara again despite opening up this “we have been keeping stuff from Yuji so Sukuna doesn’t find out” thing. Or if seeing Todo makes Sukuna assume Nobara is somewhere and he starts panicking thinking she might have a finger to soul resonance him, and that opening is what allows for Todo and Yuji to do the perfect boogie woogie wombo combo. But actually she’s dead and that was the second layer of the gambit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I feel like they could have just…not included the weird reacharound explanation for Todo and nothing really changes except there’s less nonsense exposition.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Asuron posted:

That was my whole post...

Did you read it or stop there? I even say he's building up to something using this kind of pacing...

I read it. Exposition is being interspaced with action in order to maintain story momentum; the alternative would've been putting the Sukuna v Gojo match off for several (more) chapters of plotting and lore dumping.

As is, pieces of information that had been previously teased are expounded upon in a couple pages as they become relevant in order to keep events progressing, and as a way of creating dramatic tension. This doesn't strike me as lead up to the singular earth shattering twist of Nobara's resurrection.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
can confirm it takes more than one hand to boogie woogie
i'm glad bro got his mojo back

also rip in advance :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like they could have just…not included the weird reacharound explanation for Todo and nothing really changes except there’s less nonsense exposition.

I mean it could be set up for other characters to come up too

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

suicide4sexbots posted:

can confirm it takes more than one hand to boogie woogie
i'm glad bro got his mojo back

also rip in advance :(

For what its worth only grown ups have died this entire fight. None of the kids have been killed. The casualties so far are gojo, kashimo, higuruma, choso.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I read it. Exposition is being interspaced with action in order to maintain story momentum; the alternative would've been putting the Sukuna v Gojo match off for several (more) chapters of plotting and lore dumping.

As is, pieces of information that had been previously teased are expounded upon in a couple pages as they become relevant in order to keep events progressing, and as a way of creating dramatic tension. This doesn't strike me as lead up to the singular earth shattering twist of Nobara's resurrection.

I agree with you, which is why I’m confused haha. Although I don’t agree about Nobara

To be honest i thought the Hikari fight would be concluded by now, so something must be cooking there as well

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Next chapter begins with a flashback to Hakari's childhood.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hakari and Uraume are just pretending to fight but really they just want to watch the Sukuna v Jujutsu High fight.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

Flashback chapter, but it's from Private Pure Love Train.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Scholtz posted:

Will we finally get an answer to what is Sukuna's type of woman?

Sukuna also likes big asses, but only from a cannibal perspective

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Official Chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020730

I cannot and will not be convinced that Gege didn't know exactly what he was doing with that Uraume panel

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Conspiratiorist posted:

hakari's in the pachinko parlor in the airport

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

I cannot and will not be convinced that Gege didn't know exactly what he was doing with that Uraume panel

Kusakabe's mock "enlightened one" pose could go either way, but that one was too blatant.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Is there an error in the translation or am I misremembering the Shibuya Arc? he used the flame arrow on jogo, not mahoraga.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Used it on both. Jogo was normal fire arrow without a domain, while with Mahoraga it was with the domain open, which apparently made it super-powerful, even though, at the time, I definitely don't get the feeling that the arrow was more powerful but just that using it in the domain made it sure-hit and also kept Mahoraga/Makora busy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Oh, or not I guess, don't remember that at all

Tosk posted:

Is there an error in the translation or am I misremembering the Shibuya Arc? he used the flame arrow on jogo, not mahoraga.

I think that was just a comment on how strong it is?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

The official translation shortening it to just "We've won" also feels very intentional.

Edit: Can't believe I just now noticed the cameo by Science Consultant: Kurare.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 12, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Used it on both. Jogo was normal fire arrow without a domain, while with Mahoraga it was with the domain open, which apparently made it super-powerful, even though, at the time, I definitely don't get the feeling that the arrow was more powerful but just that using it in the domain made it sure-hit and also kept Mahoraga/Makora busy.

Using it with the Domain just slaughters everything inside the domain, but does not make it any more powerful as far as I can tell. The biggest thing is that he can't use it outside of One on One fights unless in his domain.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sukuna's Domain is needed to create the perfect conditions for Furnace to trigger a CE-infused thermobaric explosion, which I can't see as anything but dramatically improving the power of the attack.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was far more devastating against Mahogara in Shibuya compared to Jogo. One caused a massive explosion that engulfed multiple blocks while the other just seemed to kill Jogo but not do much otherwise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

It was far more devastating against Mahogara in Shibuya compared to Jogo. One caused a massive explosion that engulfed multiple blocks while the other just seemed to kill Jogo but not do much otherwise.

That's the point of the Domain, it nukes the entire area. Solo it just murks whatever it hits.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just a desperate man wandering through the desert, holding onto the slimmest of hopes that someone will punch/kick Sukuna in the wiener. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but dammit someone has to try.

Gege, hear my prayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Sukuna has long since done a binding vow which traded his weiner for some bullshit in a fight.