Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mx. posted:

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

The Co-Op one is very good, Aldi and Tesco both pretty good, the ASDA one is dry and nasty. But quite frankly, if you're going to buy a birthday cake in the shape of a caterpillar (the only acceptable shape for a birthday cake, to be honest), just buy the original Colin and avoid disappointment and ridicule.

Next question is: why can no other supermarket accurately replicate the deliciousness and texture of M&S Percy Pigs? We have come to blows in our family when Granddad ate a full packet of the M&S versions and tried to fob the 8 year old off with a packet of Sainsburys' gummy foam sweets, and could not understand why this was entirely unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The whole name brand vs. generic depends on what the item is and what you're using it for. Like if I'm making something with marshmallow like rice crispy treats or sweet potato casserole the cheap poo poo just doesn't melt right and it throws everything off.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mx. posted:

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

People have this incredible amount of affection and enthusiasm for Colin Caterpillar, Percy Pig etc. for them being such generic confectionary with no distinctive qualities at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nonathlon posted:

People have this incredible amount of affection and enthusiasm for Colin Caterpillar, Percy Pig etc. for them being such generic confectionary with no distinctive qualities at all.

Childhood nostalgia is like that. Plus, knockoff candy tends to be a special kind of terrible.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also, sometimes the cheaper option tastes awful. For example, if I asked for hotdogs for a bbq and you brought me a pack of bar s I would legally be able to murder you.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Biplane posted:

One of my bosses when I lived in florida brought her familys signature dessert to a potluck one time, it was a huge bowl of cool whip with bite sized snickers stirred in :catstare:
... I would try this. At least one spoonful. But I've also never made a secret of being a thundering fatass either

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I remember as a kid when the vending machine outside the local supermarket swapped from coke to LA Ice or something, like a cheap version of Pepsi. It didn't cost much (or any?) less than what was there before though so I can only imagine some soft drink baron eventually managed to put an extra storey on their mega-yacht thanks to kids like me

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Recipes that call for Cool Whip to be used instead of whipped cream do so because the recipes will come together in a certain way with the Cool Whip - there's a pretty infamous chocolate pudding pie that's just chocolate jello and Cool Whip and if you replaced the Cool Whip with whipped cream it would just be a runny mess. Are these likely recipes likely from the Cool Whip packaging that Auntie Gayle has made into a family recipe? Yes. But if you replace Cool Whip with whipped cream in those recipes - and it's for anything besides the top of the cake or pie - you could absolutely get something that doesn't set right. THAT is why people go bonkers about it needing to be Cool Whip (TM). They likely have a recipe that needs the non-melting property as a stabilizer.
Anything with cool whip in it is going to need to be stored in a refrigerator for safety if it isn't going to be eaten within an hour or two and given that I don't think it's going to behave significantly differently in terms of how long it lasts from whipped cream stabilized with a little gelatin or corn starch or something

If you know how to bake you absolutely easily could (and probably should) use whipped cream in pretty much any recipe that would call for cool whip. Cool whip is just aimed at people who want to make a dessert by mixing two premade ingredients together and call it a day, not that there's anything wrong with that.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 11, 2024

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I think it was on the MIL to specify she meant Cool Whip and not just frozen whipped topping. Since we, as a culture, ubiquitously use brand names as a shorthand for the items themselves and not specifically the store brand (if I need a ready-made adhesive bandage with an absorbent pad inside I ask for a Band-Aid, Kleenex for facial tissue, large swathes of the US refer to any type of highly sweetened carbonated beverage as ‘Coke’ or ‘cola’, chapstick, Vaseline, Tupperware, etc…) it’s not unreasonable to think that, unless specified, a request for something like Cool Whip (which can only be one thing—a stabilized frozen whipped topping) is a request for that general type of item and that if you can’t get the original any will do.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mx. posted:

My Mum had some form of classism where she judged pubs/my friend's parents for having salad cream instead of mayo. Of course, she has Dijonnaise in the house. Whipped cream is also unforgivably lower class, she always made her own and now only with rosewater which to be fair is utterly fantastic, so I'm with her on that one.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My boyfriend said he’d sleep with another girl for his pledging process

quote:

I (18F) have been dating my boyfriend (19M) for almost 6 months. Since we’re both in college, we aren’t short of our fair share of “hookup” stories. We’ve both shared them with each other pretty openly. It never really bothered me.

Recently, he has been very excited about rushing a frat next semester. I was excited for him too, since I have seen a lot of my friends be involved in Greek Life, and I wanted him to have a good set of people to be around.

I understand hazing pretty thoroughly, so when he mentioned that a lot of their “activities” are closely tied with their sister sorority (dances, formals), again, it didn’t bother me.

But a few days ago, he mentioned that sleeping with a pledge from their sister sorority was a hazing experience. When I asked him if he’d participate (i know that’s not how it works, i just wanted to see his reaction), he said “Well, it’s not like you would know about it any way even if I did. that’s how hazing works.”

Is it bad that I am very upset about this? Like, breakup level?

tl;dr My boyfriend said he’d sleep with another girl for his pledging process and wouldn’t tell me about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
TA for being excited about Greek life

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That one's easy: "Every state other than mine is poo poo". Unless you're from Ohio or Alabama, in which case it's "Get me the hell out of here"

As a queer AFAB person that has spent the vast majority of her life in Ohio, I can confirm that one. There's endless jokes about how lovely and/or boring Ohio is, and you can tell that they're made by actual Ohioans instead of outsiders like other states' jokes. Dunno about Alabama, I'd believe either way.

Mx. posted:

My boyfriend said he’d sleep with another girl for his pledging process

...Isn't this sort of hazing illegal? Not that it stops frats from trying it, or whatever, but that's full-on sexual coercion, right?

Regardless, she should dump him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

tbh i read it more as the boyfriend making it up so he can sleep around

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Maybe this food obsessed thread can solve a family problem for me. Just walked in on my dad grabbing a grey piece of meat from a boiling pan of water and throwing it onto a frying pan. When I asked him what he was doing he said it was "A boil and burn steak!". Is that an actual thing, or a sign of senility?

He's bought two steaks in his last shop, with the second being a really luxury aged one. How can I stop this?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fatty posted:

Maybe this food obsessed thread can solve a family problem for me. Just walked in on my dad grabbing a grey piece of meat from a boiling pan of water and throwing it onto a frying pan. When I asked him what he was doing he said it was "A boil and burn steak!". Is that an actual thing, or a sign of senility?

He's bought two steaks in his last shop, with the second being a really luxury aged one. How can I stop this?

This sounds kinda like a horrible version of sous-vide. In that you seal the steak in a vacuum bag, cook it in hot water over an extended period so it remains beautifully tender, than give it a very quick sear at the end for surface character. But precise temperature control of the water is very important.

bottlesproot
Nov 5, 2012

Fatty posted:

There’s a method of cooking sausages called “boil and burn”, perhaps he thought it could be done with any kind of meat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Fatty posted:

Ever seen Old Yeller?

Actual answer: swap the luxury one with a cheap one, he almost certainly can't taste the difference anyway.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DreamingofRoses posted:

I think it was on the MIL to specify she meant Cool Whip and not just frozen whipped topping. Since we, as a culture, ubiquitously use brand names as a shorthand for the items themselves and not specifically the store brand (if I need a ready-made adhesive bandage with an absorbent pad inside I ask for a Band-Aid, Kleenex for facial tissue, large swathes of the US refer to any type of highly sweetened carbonated beverage as ‘Coke’ or ‘cola’, chapstick, Vaseline, Tupperware, etc…) it’s not unreasonable to think that, unless specified, a request for something like Cool Whip (which can only be one thing—a stabilized frozen whipped topping) is a request for that general type of item and that if you can’t get the original any will do.

And as specified earlier, it's completely reasonable to pick up this 3 dollar item on the way there and not worry about making a special trip out for it ahead of time. Literally at most he could've added a "Sorry, they were out of Cool Whip I hope this is fine" and that's it. It's not his fault the parents are so suburban brained they think it's wrong if it's not the name brand.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

mystes posted:

No they aren't

aldi and trader joes are "not the same company" and "owned by two separate brothers" but they also literally work together for bargaining for discounts and sourcing poo poo and sometimes food shows up at aldi's in trader joe's boxes because, again, they throw their weight around together at their suppliers. so they're "not the same company" but they effectively ARE. it feels shady.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Biplane posted:

One of my bosses when I lived in florida brought her familys signature dessert to a potluck one time, it was a huge bowl of cool whip with bite sized snickers stirred in :catstare:

My mom would occasionally make this but would also include cut up granny smith apples and cherries in it. It was quite good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fatty posted:

My family does that for tough cuts of meat like short ribs. Boil for a few hours, then toss on the grill or in the convection oven to finish them off, add sauce.

I did a batch basically unsauced the same way once out of curiosity and they tasted a little weird but fine if that's what you're expecting (and that is mostly because of my terrible attempt at gravy which only worked enough to make it "basically"). Haven't tried it with a steak but I get the cheap tough cuts often, so I think I will. I'm one of those weirdos who likes their steaks at least a light pink, boiling would help with that, so I suspect your dad is the same.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 11, 2024

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

limp_cheese posted:

My mom would occasionally make this but would also include cut up granny smith apples and cherries in it. It was quite good.

growing up in ND at least one person would bring this to every potluck or barbecue. I’m not sure it even had a name other than “that thing everyone’s mom and grandma makes” but it rules

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fatty posted:

I doubt that's a sign of senility but it's also dumb

If he likes that general approach maybe get him a sous vide circulator

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zynga dot com posted:

growing up in ND at least one person would bring this to every potluck or barbecue. I’m not sure it even had a name other than “that thing everyone’s mom and grandma makes” but it rules

I've always heard it called "snickers salad" but I think I like your name for it better

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Biplane posted:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... I would try this. At least one spoonful. But I've also never made a secret of being a thundering fatass either

Same, and same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's just one of those party foods that's easy to whip up out of whatever's in the kitchen that looks neat and vaguely fancy.

The famous fairy bread of Australia is exactly that. (and you do NOT dip the buttered bread in the sprinkles, I have no loving idea how Americans got that idea)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Bruceski posted:

My family does that for tough cuts of meat like short ribs. Boil for a few hours, then toss on the grill or in the convection oven to finish them off, add sauce.

I did a batch basically unsauced the same way once out of curiosity and they tasted a little weird but fine if that's what you're expecting (and that is mostly because of my terrible attempt at gravy which only worked enough to make it "basically"). Haven't tried it with a steak but I get the cheap tough cuts often, so I think I will. I'm one of those weirdos who likes their steaks at least a light pink, boiling would help with that, so I suspect your dad is the same.

Cheap tough cuts of meat can mostly be saved with a wet or dry brine, and cheap tough beef greatly benefits from dry aging in the fridge on a rack for a day or two (if you don't have a specific room/regulated container to age meat in).

Boiling it seems insane cause it is.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

carrionman posted:

My paternal grandfather was like that, it was absolutely a power play to see how long he could get people to wait for him.
He was a member of the local landrover club amd eventually even they got sick of his bullshit and would all just pack up and leave when they were ready, he could sort his own poo poo.

In the long run the joke was on him, they were out on a beach for a BBQ dinner and while he was loving around packing up they left, then he had a stroke which, according to the Dr, probably paralyzed him and he died overnight of hypothermia. If there had been people there he'd probably have lived.

A rough laugh, but he absolutely deserved it the walking piece of poo poo, it's the only joy he ever caused anyone.

lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Desert Bus posted:

Cheap tough cuts of meat can mostly be saved with a wet or dry brine, and cheap tough beef greatly benefits from dry aging in the fridge on a rack for a day or two (if you don't have a specific room/regulated container to age meat in).

Boiling it seems insane cause it is.

Full boil is probably always a bad idea but a vigorous simmer/low boil is plenty good for those.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really want to try snickers salad and also fairy bread.

Will make rosewater whipped cream next time I have a reason to make whipped cream, and post trip report.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

coronatae posted:

I really want to try snickers salad and also fairy bread.

Will make rosewater whipped cream next time I have a reason to make whipped cream, and post trip report.

Your reason is that you want to make whipped cream. Go for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

Oreos are a knockoff of hydrox and I personally think that oreos actually taste worse than most store brand copies

I bought a packet of Oreos from the Ämeriikka-aisle in Citymarket once and they taste like "what if Dominos only tasted of sugar".

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought a packet of Oreos from the Ämeriikka-aisle in Citymarket once and they taste like "what if Dominos only tasted of sugar".

My gf got me a package of dominos and yeah they rule imo

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It you have a tougher cut just braise it or stew it with broth and seasonings don't boil it in water like a maniac

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 11, 2024

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
AITA for telling my family to shut up, get over themselves and to accept that I never wanted my son to have the names they like?

quote:

My wife (25f) and I (26m) welcomed our son Callum into the world just over a week ago. I had expected our son's name wouldn't be a favorite among my family but I had believed and hoped they would just love us enough to accept that the name isn't one of the more vintage/old timey names my family loves. But they expressed their dislike for the name immediately and were asked to leave by me because my wife was in recovery and didn't need to deal with their bullshit. They called me up the next day and asked why we had gone so different from the rest of the family. I told them we went with a name we both loved and felt would work for our son his entire life.

My family told me Callum is not the kind of name a person should wear into adulthood. That it ages terribly because it sounds like a little boys name. I told them Callum is a well established and long used name, just not in the way they like for names to be. They told me Callum does not compare to the names my nieces and nephews have or that my siblings have, I used to have another name and changed it at 18.

So before I get too carried away I should say that the types of names my family like are; Reginald, Harold, Desmond, Bartholomew, Maximilian, Clarence and my old name Herbert. Girls names are the same old school style. My family loves that. I'm good with that. I wasn't good with my old name and changed it and I didn't want a name for my son that "fit" with them.

I told my family as they were complaining to me that we had decided and the name was not changing so they should adjust to it. They were quiet for a day and then they got back in touch to say they could not bring themselves to accept this and that I should really consider why they love the names they do. They said I damned myself when I changed my name, which is now Jamie, but I shouldn't do that to my son. When I didn't budge they declared they would talk to my wife. I told them no way in hell are they bothering my wife with their crap when she's newly PP. We got into a fight and I told them to stop calling if they couldn't let it go.

They showed up yesterday to see our son again and I wasn't going to let them inside but my wife, who knows what's been going on, thought maybe seeing Cal again would calm them down. It didn't. They started on the name poo poo again and they did attempt to go through my wife which is when I may have stepped over the line. I told them to shut up and get over themselves about the name because my wife and I love it and we're not changing it for them and they need to accept I never wanted my son or any kids I'd have to have names they like. I told them they knew that from the time I went to the effort and cost to change my own name. And I told them they had gone too far trying to pester my wife after being warned not to.

They said I didn't need to be so rude to get my point across and I believe I did. But I'm also doubting if I went too far.

AITA?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

big mean giraffe posted:

It you have a tougher cut just braise it or stew it with brother and seasonings don't boil it in water like a maniac

Ok this sounds like a worse idea than the hydrogen peroxide

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
how the gently caress is Callum a "little boys name" compared to loving Reginald?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DreamingofRoses posted:

AITA for telling my family to shut up, get over themselves and to accept that I never wanted my son to have the names they like?

So, they like names that sound like 18th century British nobles, and Callum sounds too… Gaelic? It's really no different from Desmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

the holy poopacy posted:

I've always heard it called "snickers salad" but I think I like your name for it better

There's taffy apple salad, which is red and green apples, crushed pineapple, peanuts a whipped topping, and snickers salad is the same thing without pineapple or peanuts. If you ask me anyway. My mom made taffy apple salad every summer for parties...I miss that poo poo, I'm going to make some myself. And use better apples than loving red delicious.