Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

not to be confused with "doctor strange deliberately used the thanos crisis as an excuse to murder tony stark" which i believe is a master shakeman take

I always liked Dr. Strange.:hai:

"Tony...there was no other way (to kill you)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they seem in a weird spot of being both anti-corporation but rabidly pro-cop/military but also sometimes the cops/military murder civilians depending on the movie
but hell, they're stupid fun times

imo they're mostly just pro-twisted/epic

whatever is the most twisted/epic thing that could happen at any given time

sometimes it's twisted, sometimes it's epic, but it's always one of those

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

not to be confused with "doctor strange deliberately used the thanos crisis as an excuse to murder tony stark" which i believe is a master shakeman take
I believe that's an accepted fact in the marvel fandom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fighting Elegy posted:

Is there anything really sexist about Willie besides for how much she screams? I recall really liking the character, she was funny and her viewing Indy as a charmless brute led to fun moments. To the best of my memory she's my favorite character in the series.

(watches movie about how savage indians have constructed an elaborate death cult around torturing and murdering children before finally being defeated by the civilizing presence of the thirties era raj)

wow look at this woman screaming so much all that sexism is really problematic

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The british showing up at the end to save them by shooting the evil Indians was certainly a choice

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nichael posted:

american media is obsessed with prequels for everything except actual history, thus we have no context (and fell out of coconut trees) for current political events

thats not true they made a prequel movie about afghanistan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mnSjjeC2o

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

another twister theyre actually in between twisters thats why the movie is called twisters

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Xaris posted:

wake me up when they make a live action MIGHTY MAX movie with breakaway castles

I loved the Sega Genesis game.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Urdnot Fire posted:

You’re thinking of Twister Act.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Some Guy TT posted:

another twister theyre actually in between twisters thats why the movie is called twisters

There is simply no qualified replacement for Bill Paxton OR Cary Elwes (who I assume is not coming back due to the events of the first movie) so this is going to suck poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it ain't Mighty Max but they are taking another crack at live-action He-Man with Travis Knight

it's not like he's untalented so maybe that could be something but it doesn't seem like his wheelhouse and the hollywood trends have circled back around to "drag the otherworldly characters into contemporary US settings rather than make expensive sets"

but hopefully they let him get weird with it since the last He-Man movie already tried and failed at that

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I love when disaster movies have to kill off anyone who ever disagreed with the hero scientist. Dante's Peak is great for that: Pierce Brosnan's boss, who was extremely reasonable the whole movie, let Pierce go on a trip to gather more information, brought a team in to follow up, and declared an emergency and began an evacuation the moment Pierce had anything substantive, still dies to a sudden flood towards the end of the movie

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

i say swears online posted:

I've said it before itt but the opening sequence of temple of doom is the greatest sequence in the whole franchise

Yup. Movie kicks rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

twenty years after the failure of foodfight finally one man is brave enough to make a movie featuring our favorite grocery store mascots

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

I love when disaster movies have to kill off anyone who ever disagreed with the hero scientist. Dante's Peak is great for that: Pierce Brosnan's boss, who was extremely reasonable the whole movie, let Pierce go on a trip to gather more information, brought a team in to follow up, and declared an emergency and began an evacuation the moment Pierce had anything substantive, still dies to a sudden flood towards the end of the movie

hell yeah, it's an essential part of the Roland Emmerich disaster movie formula and it really does work every time, from the sneering "whatever you say, scientist. Sureeeee" to the "just doing their job" banal idiots

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Kind of a racist movie, but it's the most insane and unhinged of the Indy films in a very fun way. Love seeing a guy get skewered with a kabob and watching someone else get their heart ripped out then dipped in lava then watching Indy go on an insanely awful trip rear end he twists and convulses in pure terror as reality disintegrates around him. All in a movie that 10 yr old kids watch. Willie Scott is hot as well. AWESOME STUFF,

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Last Crusade is pretty boring in comparison honestly besides the giant tank sequence, that was pretty cool.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

my_custom_username posted:

Last Crusade is pretty boring in comparison honestly besides the giant tank sequence, that was pretty cool.

All the Sean Connery bits are great and the "tapestries" exchange/Nazi Castle is fun too.

Motorcycle jousting is one of the raddest things put to film and I'm glad it happened before the era of CGI

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

screaming into the void: they need to take a third crack at a movie in the Hitman franchise because they keep loving up by making the movies focus on 47, as opposed to making the movie focus on a group of targets as 47 kills them one by one from the periphery

basically i want Final Destination but occasionally you see a glimpse of a bald guy with a barcode tattoo in an inconspicuous outfit tampering with an elevator winch / gas oven / construction crane / etc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

screaming into the void: they need to take a third crack at a movie in the Hitman franchise because they keep loving up by making the movies focus on 47, as opposed to making the movie focus on a group of targets as 47 kills them one by one from the periphery

basically i want Final Destination but occasionally you see a glimpse of a bald guy with a barcode tattoo in an inconspicuous outfit tampering with an elevator winch / gas oven / construction crane / etc

That would be a fun twist on it. ABC's of death anthology style even could work and as you go on you realize he's piece by piece dismantling a human trafficking ring or something

But the movies were definitely both missing the slapstick humor of the games/tried too hard to humanize 47 when he's basically a Michael Myers super assassin with no inner-life

But someone should have been murdered with a marlin head in those movies and I don't remember that happening.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I know I watched the series and the movie reboot but I'll be damned if I remember anything about them except for Lance Reddick being awesome and goofy

I miss him a lot.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

All the Sean Connery bits are great and the "tapestries" exchange/Nazi Castle is fun too.

Motorcycle jousting is one of the raddest things put to film and I'm glad it happened before the era of CGI

Lol yeah the fireplace scene's very funny as well

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That would be a fun twist on it. ABC's of death anthology style even could work and as you go on you realize he's piece by piece dismantling a human trafficking ring or something

But the movies were definitely both missing the slapstick humor of the games/tried too hard to humanize 47 when he's basically a Michael Myers super assassin with no inner-life

But someone should have been murdered with a marlin head in those movies and I don't remember that happening.

Even if you focus on 47 it should basically be the structure of a heist movie instead of a shoot em up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Even if you focus on 47 it should basically be the structure of a heist movie instead of a shoot em up

Yup. All the illuminati super spy set dressing in the first act while they plan the heist then 2nd and 3rd act is the big day as everything keeps going off the rails while agent 47 fucks around and eventually pulls off the perfect kill against all the odds.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1789471105008177531

Genuinely one of the most important people in movie history.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nucleic Acids posted:

truly an insane ouvre of executive producerships

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

In Training posted:

Yup. All the illuminati super spy set dressing in the first act while they plan the heist then 2nd and 3rd act is the big day as everything keeps going off the rails while agent 47 fucks around and eventually pulls off the perfect kill against all the odds.

I'd do it where there would be a few sequences at different locales, where first it's from the perspective of the criminals as they're getting up to bad deeds and then final destination-esque deaths. And then go from 47's perspective and you see him knocking people out, stealing clothes, and setting up the rueben-esque murder contraptions. hell it could even be a miniseries.

of course there would be repeat value in watching the first part again to see the tall bald dude in various get ups in the background.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's basically consensus that the universe clearly can only survive when both stark and thanos die

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Nucleic Acids posted:

oh man this one really fuckin hits :( it cannot be overstated how significant his role is in cinema

i remember, like ten years ago, i found he had a youtube channel where he would upload videos and it was the first time id ever seen a youtube channel require money to watch videos, because you had to pay him like four bucks to watch him talk about working on Murder on Topless gently caress Mountain or whatever and my first thought was "yeah of loving course Roger Corman would be the one to figure out how to directly charge money for watching a youtube video"

flights of angels you glorious old pervert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJu2mh5SSGQ

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

In Training posted:

yeah have baddies die because 47 simply utilizes the infallible strategy of taking advantage of their hubris

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Palladium posted:

yeah have baddies die because 47 simply utilizes the infallible strategy of taking advantage of their hubris

That's like half the mission stories and some of the best lines.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Goddamn, the gentlemen is dogshit

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

He does have an inner life though, he's just really good at compartmentalizing.

Nichael posted:

I miss him a lot.
He's the only actor who could've nailed 47.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xaris posted:

oh yeah absolutely. his wife edited the poo poo out of his movies too and it's very noticeable.

I'm not sure how much credit I'll give to lucas vs his DP and crew, but watching the star wars 4k77 80gb copy and and seeing all the little technical details that went into sets and some of the behind the scenes footage really does reveal just how extensive and genuinely groundbreaking a lot of the technical work was that went into that movie. it really is genuinely impressive and easy to nerd out on the practicals and technical side which is one of the things I like a lot about movies is the "movie magic" behind them.

Likewise American Graffiti is not great as a movie but it's very well shot and framed. The Soderberg Cut also shows how well Raiders is tightly shot with great compositions and framing. while I wouldn't recommend someone seek out and watch the full Soderberg cut of raiders, it's very fascinating to watch. So I think he does/did have some genuinely good talent in some of the more filming and setup side of things.

writing though? lmfao

https://youtu.be/olqVGz6mOVE?si=tLmYd9JMYdI55Vp4

There's more to writing than just dialogue, of which yes he is the self-declared king of wooden dialogue

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Apparently The Fall Guy is not doing so well.

Guardian posted:

Blunt, stunts and Gosling: how did The Fall Guy flop – and what does that mean for cinema?

Summer’s would-be blockbuster has hit a brick wall – did it simply typify everything the public hate about Hollywood or does it belie broader box office blight?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/10/blunt-gosling-the-fall-guy-box-office-flop-cinema

I don't know who this movie was targeted at. I'm an old and I have zero interest in the setup. The leads are too old, should have been people in their twenties. Why would I watch this crap?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The marketing for it started kinda cool and unique but then they kept doing it and it switched over from neat to "child desperately flailing and shouting to get your attention"

But I will watch it... On streaming.

Theaters are for intelligent apes and Furiosa

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

busalover posted:

Apparently The Fall Guy is not doing so well.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/10/blunt-gosling-the-fall-guy-box-office-flop-cinema

I don't know who this movie was targeted at. I'm an old and I have zero interest in the setup. The leads are too old, should have been people in their twenties. Why would I watch this crap?

Lol why would it be better if they were in their twenties? It's the movie itself that sucks.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Half the time people talked about the Fall Guy my eyes would just quickly scan whatever was being written and I thought people were talking about The Nice Guys which also starred Ryan Gosling. Now I know what it feels like to be one of those people that didn't buy a WiiU for the same reason.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Guys Cinematic Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If you catch yourself laughing at something Bill Maher has said lately on HBO's "Real Time," his Friday night perch for the past 21 years, just be careful: next time, the joke could be on you. No one is spared Maher's humor, or as he sees it, truth-telling – not the right ("If you're gonna turn over your party to a foreign power, at least pick the right one. Russia? Are you kidding? It's like the Republicans looked over all the companies they could merge with and picked Sears!"), nor the left ("You call yourself the resistance? Then fight behind enemy lines. That's what a 'resistance' does. That's the difference between blowing up a tank and tweeting about it. Get out of your echo chamber and infiltrate theirs!").

Asked if you can make an audience laugh and think at the same time, Maher replied, "Totally, of course. The great thing about laughter is that it's involuntary, so if you laugh at something, something in you tells you that's true. It must be true; I laughed at it! Maybe I wasn't supposed to."

He said the throughline for everything he writes and says is, "Keep it real. Don't be tribal. Don't say something just because that's going to make the audience of one side applaud, or boo. Practical solutions as opposed to ideological. And don't pull a punch."

The 68-year-old Maher has been swinging at targets high and low his entire career, taking his own share of knocks along the way. But he still gladly courts controversy, as when he told the "Real Time" audience, "The right response to speech you don't like is more speech, not the lazy, cowardly response of 'canceling' people."

That attitude explains the title of his new book, "What This Comedian Said Will Shock You" (to be published May 21 by Simon & Schuster). It's compiled from years of Maher's commentaries on "Real Time."

"I wanted to see if the world had changed or I had changed more," he said. "I was excavating, reading over all these editorials from years and years and years, and I wanted to find that answer. I speak for the normies. You know, I speak from that, I think, vast middle that is tired of the partisanship. I don't want to hate half the country, and I don't hate half the country."

Costa said, "You write a lot throughout this book that the left irritates you, frustrates you at times, but the right often alarms you?"

"Yes, they're very alarming!" Maher replied. "They're extremely alarming. More alarming."

But if he finds the right more alarming than the left, why not shine the spotlight on them only? "The truth isn't one-sided like that," Maher said. "The Democrats constantly are running against Trump with the idea, You people out there couldn't possibly vote for this guy. And people are saying, Watch me. Hold my beer. Watch me to vote for him again. Instead of just saying, Oh, he's lied. Like, we know he's a liar. He's Donald Trump! He can't help himself. He's crazy. I mean, I think literally crazy. I think there's a kind of a level of malignant narcissism, which is not just a personality quirk, it's diagnosable, and he suffers from it."

Costa asked, "If you had him on 'Real Time,' what would you ask him?"

"Would you please go away?" Maher laughed.

He said that Trump has been invited to be on the show: "Of course, we've asked everybody, I mean, of that stature. He knows he has an open invitation to come on, but I don't think he really hates me, because the amount of times that he goes after me."

"He watches the show," said Costa.

"Accidentally! It's always accidentally," Maher said. "He watches it 'accidentally' every week. It's amazing!"

In fact, conservatives don't shy away from "Real Time." Trump's Attorney General William Barr was a guest last year. Maher said the reaction from liberal circles "was exactly what I hate about this country: How dare you? How dare you platform somebody?

"So, you're going to have to talk to people, and maybe you'll find out that they're not the monsters you think they are. I mean, do I apologize for Bill Barr's (I thought) horrible behavior when the Mueller Report came out and he basically lied about it? I don't. But look, this is what I call a good-as-it-gets Republican. He came out and said Trump lost the election. That's the main thing in the Republican Party right now: Do you believe elections count only if you win?

"As good as it gets" could well be Maher's motto for politics, and for life – not wishing for what could be, but recognizing what he sees is real (and taking you on if you're not).