Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

Why the gently caress did they discard this glorious design?

Tricolor motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Either way, it's a huge improvement from the seal on blue one. It's not amazing, but perfectly good.

My problem with guns on flags is that they're hard to draw as generics. As it is, you get an AK-47 or some other brand of gun, which has a whole bunch of associations beside "we threw out the oppressors". Blades and hammers are more forgiving this way.
Gears are perfectly fine though.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you don't want a recognizable kind of gun you could just get Ted Rall to draw it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Should do a cannon or a musket.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Speleothing posted:

In some countries those were the weapons of their colonizers, not themselves.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Unkempt posted:

If you don't want a recognizable kind of gun you could just get Ted Rall to draw it.

I get that a kid should be able to draw it, but can we aim for a kid who has actually held a crayon before in terms of skill?

On the other hand, a fully rall flag would be fun. Both for a country he likes and one he doesn't.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Next time, please do yourself a favor and exercise critical thinking when reading and responding to posts so you don't make your subpar reading comprehension skills so apparent. Thanks.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I honestly find a lot of the SSR flags quite distinct and original, especially Estonia and Latvia, with that alluring wave formation.

Latvia's a wannabe Kiribati.

(Kiribati flag adopted 1979 versus Latvian SSR flag adopted 1953, but Kiribati's flag is basically just a vexillized version of the arms on the British Gilbert Islands flag of 1937)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think I just found my favorite word of the day. Vexillized. :allears:

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

I hate to break it to you, but brown-nosing people like this isn't going to get you laid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

(Kiribati flag adopted 1979 versus Latvian SSR flag adopted 1953, but Kiribati's flag is basically just a vexillized version of the arms on the British Gilbert Islands flag of 1937)

British Columbia's been doing it since 1906.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Oceanic flags get a bad rap. As former British colonies, a lot of them (e.g., Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Tuvalu) are just blue banners with a union jack plastered in the upper left-hand corner with a few stars thrown in. Many others, however, have some of the most detailed and intricate designs, such as Papua New Guinea and (as you mentioned) Kiribati. For the exact opposite reason, though, Palau is really visually appealing, primarily due to its simplistic yet powerful design. Probably the best "sun" flag by far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best sun flag is Japan’s war flag, the off‐center naval version.

Shame about the implications.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 12, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Probably the best "sun" flag by far.

Buddy I just said British Columbia. :v:

I do really like the flags of Nauru and the Marshall Islands though.

What kinda blows my mind though about the Marshall Islands is that they have a decent amount of subnational flags. Which is a big deal because it's a very small country, less than 50,000 people. Most of those people live on the main island that doesn't have a special flag, only one of these islands with its own flag is bigger than my high school.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Platystemon posted:

The best sun flag is Japan’s war flag, the off‐center naval version.

Shame about the implications.

Flag thread: vexillise yourself - Shame about the implications

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I hate to break it to you, but brown-nosing people like this isn't going to get you laid.

You don't understand what words are, do you?

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

steinrokkan posted:

You don't understand what words are, do you?

Huh. Maybe I was wrong. It seems rear end-kissing can result in a sexual liaison for the rear end-kisser if the rear end-kissed is especially easy.

Anyways, seeing how quickly Disco Godfather's white knighting won you over, I'm sure you're eager to get to know him better. So why don't you do something productive for a change and send him a PM? It's clear the feeling will be more than mutual.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Y'know, for a genuine new forums joiner you sound a lot like every random old perma'd goon

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Two bans in the "first" month of posting. I'm shocked

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I assume they defeated the alt check by this point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know why admins put up with this poo poo instead of figuring “this is totally someone we don’t want around even if they’re using Nord VPN”.

But now I’m posting about posters, so I’ll see y’all tomorrow.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

If there's one thing (I hope) we can all agree on in this thread, it's that the United States blasphemes the art of vexillology in countless ways. In my estimation, this sentiment is most observable in the former flag of New Mexico, which violates so many standards of flag design that (for my sake and yours) I'd rather not divulge since we'd be here all day if I did. Besides, a picture is certainly worth 1,000 words when it comes to flags, so it would be redundant to continue eviscerating this poor thing anyway. Now, without any further ado, feast your eyes.

Yeah. While this may be an extreme scenario, it is unfortunately not an isolated incident, and other serious offenders--whether city or state flags--exist within the United States to this day, most of which are just repetitive seals on a bedsheet, as shown below.

Oregon gets a pass, though. Yes, at first glance, it may seem like just another copy-and-pasted blue flag, but flip it around, and you'll see a friendly little beaver.

I'm tempted to say that on the basis of the beaver alone, Oregon is pardoned of its otherwise horrendous design, but I won't get ahead of myself. Still, it's no match for the flags of Canadian and Russian federal subjects, which are all unique and recognizable in their own right and should, therefore, be the prototype for all future state insignia in the United States.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In my estimation, this sentiment is most observable in the former flag of New Mexico, which violates so many standards of flag design that (for my sake and yours) I'd rather not divulge since we'd be here all day if I did. Besides, a picture is certainly worth 1,000 words when it comes to flags, so it would be redundant to continue eviscerating this poor thing anyway. Now, without any further ado, feast your eyes.

I wish this could somehow be made the thread title

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
LOOK AT THESE NEW MEXICO FLAGS!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

British Columbia's been doing it since 1906.

idk, maybe it's the way the sun overlaps the waves or the missing red field, but BC reminds me more of Uruguay than it does Kiribati or Latvian SSR.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That one's actually fake. In a couple ways. First off, the flag wasn't actually ever officially adopted as a state flag. It was just something that a guy put together when the 1915 World's Fair wanted to have one of every state flag. They only made one, and the 48 stars were carved out of quartz, which was weird but unique.

Second off, that flag was actually a vector image made for wikipedia in Wikipedia's desire to make all flags into .svgs or whatever their main reasoning was. Either way, it was poorly done by that one internet guy.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

SlothfulCobra posted:

That one's actually fake. In a couple ways. First off, the flag wasn't actually ever officially adopted as a state flag. It was just something that a guy put together when the 1915 World's Fair wanted to have one of every state flag. They only made one, and the 48 stars were carved out of quartz, which was weird but unique.

Second off, that flag was actually a vector image made for wikipedia in Wikipedia's desire to make all flags into .svgs or whatever their main reasoning was. Either way, it was poorly done by that one internet guy.

My point still stands: it's a lovely loving flag and a testament to how bad American flags can be, regardless of its historical context.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://x.com/saltydkdan/status/1776442615241507123

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That rules. I wish it were animated to cycle.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

+1 flag of starving armenians, syrians, and greeks

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Was that during WW1?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yep, before the Americans even entered in the war; the Near East Foundation began in 1915 following Henry Morgenthau’s reports on the Ottomans’ treatment of the Armenians. Not sure when this flag was made, but the philanthropic effort was ongoing during WWI.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well a child can draw it

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

they can draw a snake can't they? a snake is a dragon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just look at those consummate V's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

looks real good.. comin out of the back of his neck there.