Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

I have a type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I need a guitar with a Floyd i don’t have one. Off to zzounds I go.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Paid for a subscription to Distrokid to get my self-recorded EP out on the streaming services. Is shameless self-promotion allowed here?

I also bought a Yamaha Reface CS because I hate having money.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Paid for a subscription to Distrokid to get my self-recorded EP out on the streaming services. Is shameless self-promotion allowed here?

I also bought a Yamaha Reface CS because I hate having money.

Post that poo poo!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

muike posted:

I have a type.

heck yeah

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

buy uuuuusseeeedddd :goonsay:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I though the same and then my next purchase was a Tremol-No

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would suck zzounds dick they rule.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Post that poo poo!

https://distant-signals.bandcamp.com/album/distant-signals-ep

Don't pay for it, the rest of the tracks are coming out on Tuesday on all the streaming platforms for free. Bandcamp just wouldn't let me post one track early without the pre-order charge, even though it's free to listen to.
:iiam:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I found out the hard way that the Boss RC505 MK1 eats all the midi it receives, and only shits out midi clock, so I've been forced to get this to get my studio working the way I want it to:

I found this secondhand on ebay for £69. Seeing as I'm now already overspent on everything, I threw caution to the toilet and also bought my first sound library for the 1010 Lemondrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNCD_msBOU

muike posted:

I have a type.

Drooling...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

muike posted:

I have a type.

Yeah these are both awesome! What models are they?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Jackson Jeff Loomis sig and Ibanez RGR652 with several mods

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://distant-signals.bandcamp.com/album/distant-signals-ep

Don't pay for it, the rest of the tracks are coming out on Tuesday on all the streaming platforms for free. Bandcamp just wouldn't let me post one track early without the pre-order charge, even though it's free to listen to.
:iiam:
LoL
Shameless self promotion: here's a link, DON'T BUY IT.

Hahaha, that's not how you're supposed to promote a product.

Thanks for sharing

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rampes #22
Maths #33197 :laugh:

not that far from the elite number, either

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

LoL
Shameless self promotion: here's a link, DON'T BUY IT.

Hahaha, that's not how you're supposed to promote a product.

Thanks for sharing

Well, it's my first endeavor of this sort, so I'd rather have feedback than a few bucks.

Speaking of which, the EP is out!

https://linktr.ee/distant_signals

It's been a real labor of love. I wrote all of the songs, I play all of the instruments. I did all of the mixing and mastering. I made the cover art. I've never done most of this stuff. To be fully transparent, I've never even written an entire song before, full instrumentals to take to a band to work on sure, but never vocals or vocal melody. It was a really fun learning experience

To stick to the thread topic: I also bought a Boss Blues Driver to better get that MBV sound for my next recordings.

Current state of the board:

I'm thinking I may sell the Keeley Compressor because it's very noisy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I have that black mass 1312. Good rat.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well, it's my first endeavor of this sort, so I'd rather have feedback than a few bucks.

Speaking of which, the EP is out!

https://linktr.ee/distant_signals

It's been a real labor of love. I wrote all of the songs, I play all of the instruments. I did all of the mixing and mastering. I made the cover art. I've never done most of this stuff. To be fully transparent, I've never even written an entire song before, full instrumentals to take to a band to work on sure, but never vocals or vocal melody. It was a really fun learning experience

To stick to the thread topic: I also bought a Boss Blues Driver to better get that MBV sound for my next recordings.

Current state of the board:

I'm thinking I may sell the Keeley Compressor because it's very noisy.

I might think of buying that compressor for the same reason, LOL

ETA: As well as enjoying the hell out of most every aspect of his music, the influence I purposefully and shamelessly crib from Alessandro Cortini is the intentional leaning into noise in the production. Every track has a noise floor with a different texture, and it always adds nicely to the feel of the piece. I really dig the sonic aesthetic.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2024

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

I might think of buying that compressor for the same reason, LOL

ETA: As well as enjoying the hell out of most every aspect of his music, the influence I purposefully and shamelessly crib from Alessandro Cortini is the intentional leaning into noise in the production. Every track has a noise floor with a different texture, and it always adds nicely to the feel of the piece. I really dig the sonic aesthetic.

I'm usually a fan of hearing things like hammers falling on piano strings and the creak of chairs on a recording (so anything but a flawless recording), but for this one it introduced noise in quieter parts where I didn't want it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Noisy compressors suck and I love noise. The noise judge has ruled (gavels).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Noisy compressors suck and I love noise. The noise judge has ruled (gavels).

So say we all

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Since the mandolin...

The 9lb Harmony H80T Strat copy mentioned with the mandolin

Samick-made, Vista branded, rebadged Hondo Strat copy

The Karera mini-Strat I've had for a while, but I don't think I ever posted it, and the other is a Stuntman branded, made in Japan, Charvel Star mini-copy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oops, all 2nd hand mixers

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all!

I went and put a set of EMG81s into my Explorer. I'm a tragic Hetfield fanboy and I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not.

Also, I like all of my guitars to have a dedicated, obvious purpose. I've got one guitar with single coils, one with P90s, my Les Paul with passive buckers, and now I've got my Explorer with the "classic" EMG Actives.

After dropping them in, I was really surprised at how big the difference between the active and the passive pickups were! Obviously there were going to be differences but I was surprised at how big the differences were. I was also surprised that some amps seem to LOVE EMGs, while other amps kinda hate them.

Basically, in the realm of High Gain, both passives and actives very much have their own place and it's very clearly not a case of <X> is better than <Y>

So I recorded the same bit of music with my JBs and my EMGs, reamped it through 5 different amps to see what works better where and with what. I figured guitar nerds online would find the results interesting so I put together a video about it for everybody to argue about ;)

So here's the long-form video with me talking about each amp and where I liked the EMGs or the Passives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VjOXTcjMI

However if you don't give a poo poo what I have to say (Which is fair!) and just want the shootout, here's that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeRco4LNAXU

Also, as I said. I'm the world's most tragic Metallica fanboy. I had a set of EMGs. So did I spend an entire day recording Metallica riffs in sheer fanboy joy? Abso****inglutely. With nothing but joy and zero shame. So here's the Metallica riffs I had fun recording for no other reason than it gave me joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJddBJQ2tyU

Anyways, let me know what you think! EMGs your thing? Passives your thing? Tell me how wrong I am.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

H13 posted:

Anyways, let me know what you think! EMGs your thing? Passives your thing? Tell me how wrong I am.

EMG81 bridge and PRS 57/08 neck. Best of both. Gotta turn down the EMG a bit on the middle position, but who ever uses the middle position on a Gibson? No one cool.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

EMG81 bridge and PRS 57/08 neck. Best of both. Gotta turn down the EMG a bit on the middle position, but who ever uses the middle position on a Gibson? No one cool.

Honestly I was thinking of trying something similar, but EMGs need like...1k pots. Doesn't that make your neck pickup bullshit bright?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

H13 posted:

Honestly I was thinking of trying something similar, but EMGs need like...1k pots. Doesn't that make your neck pickup bullshit bright?

It's been a long time since any of the work got done on my LP, but I'm pretty sure either I (who did the EMG swap) or the tech who did the PRS swap made any appropriate changes. I have vague memories of doing more than just dropping the pickup in, and both bridge knobs have significantly different feel than the neck knobs.

The last person to have the control plate off for reasons other than battery changes was the head of the shop at Sweetwater (took full advantage of my spouse's former employer), so I'll try to remember to pop it off and look later. That same tech, incidentally, has his doubts going in, but declared it "rips" when he finished, and he was indeed correct.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've had an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 89 (basically an EMG 85 that can be coil tapped) in the neck of my #1 guitar for like the past 20+ years.

EMGs are great but misunderstood. They're not actually super high output pickups like so many people think. They're really only slightly hotter than medium output. The key to the EMG sound is that they have very low output impedance, which means almost no high frequencies get lost in the cables between the guitar and the amp, so they have a huge amount of extended top end treble detail compared to most humbuckers. Tonally speaking I'd actually say they seem more like P90's or big fat single coil pickups than humbuckers. That's why so many metal guys like them. The extended top end almost acts like a treble booster, so you get a lot more bite and aggression out of them, which translates to clarity in high gain setups.

They also tend to lop off a bunch of low end from the guitar which makes them all the more naturally tight and articulate sounding compared to humbuckers, because a lot of the lows from the guitar that would otherwise bloat out and muddy up a preamp are cut out before the signal leaves the guitar.

They also have a small bit of compression happening in the built-in preamp, which I think translates to them being easier to play because you don't have to be quite as careful about your right hand's striking velocity. They're still dynamic and how hard you play still very much matters, just not quite to the degree of passive pickups.

Oh and the fact that the pickups have dedicated preamps means they can use much weaker magnets, which means you get much less magnetic pull on the strings, so your guitar will sustain better.

The one potential thing to watch out for with EMGs that most players will either love or hate about them is that with their relatively balanced or subdued low end, and as evenly-EQ'd as they are in the mids and highs, it could be said that they sound kind of "flat" and without a ton of their own personality. To me, this translates to EMGs being more like "blank slate" pickups that are really meant to bring out the most in your amps. So in other words, with EMGs, your amp and/or pedals are going to be the primary source of your tone, not really your guitar. I happen to think this is great because I love the tone of my amps! But, you might have a different approach to gear and tone.

I love mine. I think they're perfect for clear modern high gain.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2024

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GreatGreen posted:

Good stuff

They're also rails, which makes balance and bending less of an issue (not that it's really that much of an issue to begin with.)

---

I also checked and not only were the controls for the EMG changed, it seems to be time to replace my 9V as it's really old, bulging, and way under voltage. I thought it was starting to sound fuzzy...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Hopefully I can get the ARC running on my old-rear end desktop (I'm going to try OpenCore to get a newer OS running). If not I'll be pretty bummed, but I've heard great things about these Evo interfaces so no big loss either way.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

I've had an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 89 (basically an EMG 85 that can be coil tapped) in the neck of my #1 guitar for like the past 20+ years.

EMGs are great but misunderstood. They're not actually super high output pickups like so many people think. They're really only slightly hotter than medium output. The key to the EMG sound is that they have very low output impedance, which means almost no high frequencies get lost in the cables between the guitar and the amp, so they have a huge amount of extended top end treble detail compared to most humbuckers. Tonally speaking I'd actually say they seem more like P90's or big fat single coil pickups than humbuckers. That's why so many metal guys like them. The extended top end almost acts like a treble booster, so you get a lot more bite and aggression out of them, which translates to clarity in high gain setups.

They also tend to lop off a bunch of low end from the guitar which makes them all the more naturally tight and articulate sounding compared to humbuckers, because a lot of the lows from the guitar that would otherwise bloat out and muddy up a preamp are cut out before the signal leaves the guitar.

They also have a small bit of compression happening in the built-in preamp, which I think translates to them being easier to play because you don't have to be quite as careful about your right hand's striking velocity. They're still dynamic and how hard you play still very much matters, just not quite to the degree of passive pickups.

Oh and the fact that the pickups have dedicated preamps means they can use much weaker magnets, which means you get much less magnetic pull on the strings, so your guitar will sustain better.

The one potential thing to watch out for with EMGs that most players will either love or hate about them is that with their relatively balanced or subdued low end, and as evenly-EQ'd as they are in the mids and highs, it could be said that they sound kind of "flat" and without a ton of their own personality. To me, this translates to EMGs being more like "blank slate" pickups that are really meant to bring out the most in your amps. So in other words, with EMGs, your amp and/or pedals are going to be the primary source of your tone, not really your guitar. I happen to think this is great because I love the tone of my amps! But, you might have a different approach to gear and tone.

This is really good info! Cheers for posting!

My experience differs in a few ways. First, when I compare the DI to the JB, the EMGs have WAY more output. However, I don't think this "translates" to the amps due to how clean the signal is. So while I think the output of EMGs is quite hot, in terms of actually playing the pickups, you're right, they're not really THAT hot. Also, that extended top end that you mentioned prevents them from sounding like a super hot pickup which usually sounds a bit muffled.

Speaking of which, they definitely have that extended top end. It's actually tricky when you compare the DIs because the EMGs seem to be brighter due to how much MORE top end there is, but the JBs end up sounding brighter because of the focus on the pick attack and the upper mid bite. Your explanation cleared up what was going on there :)

The compression thing is definitely there and I can't figure out if there's a TINY bit of compression or a lot of VERY GOOD compression. That "whole note" thing I describe in the video I think is the compression coming through. I think you could only achieve that with a bunch of compression, but it definitely doesn't feel very compressed when you play it. So my ears say: "COMPRESSED" but my hands go: "Really?"

Interesting that you call them being very evenly EQd. I found them way more honky in the midrange than the JB. After doing this test I thought to myself that I would scoop the mids on all my amps a little bit, which made me think of that glorious early 2000s time when everybody was playing EMGs, Rectifiers and scooping the poo poo out of their mids. I think you COULD get away with a bit of a mid-scoop when playing EMGs and the EMGs will compensate for you a little bit. HOWEVER: I also know that I always use too much midrange in all of my guitar stuff so if they are that "blank slate" it's probably just highlighting that I use too much mid in general (Still going to though).

Cool info! Given me some stuff to think about :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The output is +\- 4.5VAC unmodded. A PAF is like +\- 0.15VAC. It’s quite a bit more.

(Peak output from strumming real hard)

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

I’m not a high gain player at all, but this description is making me want to experiment with some EMGs. Interesting stuff for sure!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Leck posted:

I’m not a high gain player at all, but this description is making me want to experiment with some EMGs. Interesting stuff for sure!

I have the DG20 setup (three SA single coils with a 5-way switch and a couple EMG custom tone knobs), and it's far and away the cleanest set of pickups I've ever used. Like unsettlingly so. They sound exactly like the strings themselves vibrating, but louder. They're *very* good for clean runs, and they break up nice if you're looking for something dirtier. Lots of the same benefits as the humbuckers, but with even more definition; not heavy/metal pickups at all. They're more... surgical?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
emgs were invented in the 70s and guys like jerry garcia thought they were the poo poo. they never intended to be a "high gain" pickup, just a "high fidelity" one

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I wonder how many people are still going for that “hifi” pickup sound? We had the lace XBars and QTuners causing a stir a decade ago, but that seemed to drop off pretty quickly.

From my own experience, the XBar was tough to dial in at first - ended up having to start from scratch as it didn’t react like any of my other pickups. Have to imagine that “neutrality” is actually a drawback for most players in the end as you end up relying way more on amp and FX coloration.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lace pickups are wide range in the 20-20khz sense as are the classic EMGs. The Lace Deathbucker and EMG 81 sound almost identical, save for output voltage (although, the the Deathbucker output is pretty large for a passive).

https://youtu.be/Qi2exbyNvC8

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Interesting! I didn’t know EMGs were a 20-20k pickup. Always thought they were just hot actives with pushed mids.

Funny about the deathbar though; I remember sevenstring.org going nuts about them when they were released, then everyone went back to their EMGs. I’ve been wondering if fishman is going to hit the same, fluences are everywhere now and that hype can’t last forever

E: oh woah, deathbar and deathbucker are different pickups. Curious what the difference is.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 15, 2024

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I like Lace pickups and EMGs. But, I like the single coil slot Lace ones, using Blue/Red/Hot Gold in my strat these days (JB Jr. in the bridge that I put there back in like 2007 spontaneously died on me when it came unstuck from its housing and cut a bunch of pickup wires a few years ago). Got the 85/81 set in two guitars, one the Zakk Wylde blackout bullseye one that I got first, and I liked its sound so much that I put them in a 2014 SG I picked up a while later. I really like that guitar, too, 24 frets with slightly shorter scale & tremendous upper fret access is great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Slothful Bong posted:

Interesting! I didn’t know EMGs were a 20-20k pickup. Always thought they were just hot actives with pushed mids.

Funny about the deathbar though; I remember sevenstring.org going nuts about them when they were released, then everyone went back to their EMGs. I’ve been wondering if fishman is going to hit the same, fluences are everywhere now and that hype can’t last forever

E: oh woah, deathbar and deathbucker are different pickups. Curious what the difference is.

Deathbar is lower output. It's a standard Alumitone for 7-string. Deathbucker 7 is the, well, Deathbucker for 7-strings. Those guys just sort of name things however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I didn't really need a new guitar but I'm still glad I got this on a whim anyway, Godin Core CT (the humbucker version), forgive the bad photo:

It's relatively lightweight and comfortable, really enjoying how it feels and sounds. Stock pickups are pretty good for my liking (Godin GHN1 in the neck, Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge) but I may consider switching them out sometime down the road (thinking about getting a set from Vineham, Pegcity, or McNelly). Already ordered a set of locking tuners to install on it because I love the convienence of those when it comes to string changes.