Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lazy_Liberal posted:

are we getting our own bots now?? this is great for the SA economy.

also im trying to explain to my rabbi why our local college encampment is not an anti-jew horde and they're not buying it 🙃

he doesn't know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
you should just tell your rabbi he's no different than Reinhard Heydrich, really shock him if hes that stupid.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

are we getting our own bots now?? this is great for the SA economy.

also im trying to explain to my rabbi why our local college encampment is not an anti-jew horde and they're not buying it 🙃

say okay thats nice and spend your time elsewhere

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
if only it were that easy 🥲 we're working on organizing a lay led non-zionist/anti-zionist community and it's slow and steady!

our college president decided to shut down the library for the rest of the term after it was violently cleared by police. the graffiti was apparently very scary. 🥺

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Yeah well just ctrl+f defamation, it's a waste of time to sue.

I clicked on a random profile on the website and it has one photo of someone taking down a SAVE ISRAELI HOSTAGES poster (this was their antisemitic crime) and then dozens of screenshots of their online presence. Psycho poo poo.

e: also to add the video proof of the crime was posted on FB I guess with 30-odd hastags including #turnhamasintohummus

yeah canary mission has been full on deranged psycho fascist poo poo for years and years now. They especially target Jewish anti-zionists.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

if only it were that easy 🥲 we're working on organizing a lay led non-zionist/anti-zionist community and it's slow and steady!

in that case keep up the good work!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

our college president decided to shut down the library for the rest of the term after it was violently cleared by police. the graffiti was apparently very scary. 🥺

if it wasn't clear before, the recent actions of the institutions of higher education show how they are entirely and utterly captured by the donor class

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
bonk bonk guy back with another hit

https://twitter.com/Noshu4me/status/1790118386116055537

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/NYUFJPalestine/status/1790085220563030524

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus Christ, literal re-education programmes

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

https://x.com/NYUFJPalestine/status/1790085223658459407

from the linked article posted:

NYU’s Office of Student Conduct (OSC), which delivers sanctions to students, also uses the Symplicity Advocate software for its student conduct management. Symplicity’s website features an article about NYU and a video of NYU’s Director of Student Conduct, Mathew Shepard, extolling the virtues of this product. The article boasts that Advocate “enables Shepard and his office to build reports for NYU’s General Counsel and stakeholders all the way to the President’s office.” The NYU Law School and NYU Stern School of Business both exclusively use Symplicity Career Services Manager. On Stern’s Advisory Board is Steven Schwartz, who runs the real estate division of the investment firm H.I.G Capital, which acquired Symplicity in 2016. H.I.G Capital also employs many Stern graduates.

https://www.symplicity.com/

seems fine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Jesus Christ, literal re-education programmes

it's only bad if china does it, it's good and cool and rad if america does it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

drivers ed for being pro genocide

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Last time I saw it, Symplicity was basically a job board for upcoming/recent professional degree graduates.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bart Simpson writing out “I will not protest Israel”. a hundred times on the whiteboard.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Good analysis: https://x.com/pslnational/status/1790129805767143872?s=46

Liberation News posted:

4: The student encampments’ main power is that they have produced a political crisis for the ruling class

The encampments are causing disruptions to the schools of higher learning, but they are generally not stopping schooling entirely (which is more challenging in an era of remote classes and exam taking). Divestment is yet to see a massive success, but that could come soon. Yet the encampments are dominating headlines and now being met with massive police force. Why? What makes some tents so dangerous? Their power is that they symbolize and represent how the U.S. ruling class, and Zionism, has lost a whole generation, including at its most elite schools that it uses to produce cadres for the bourgeoisie. The encampments thus serve as visual proof of where the youth stand, indicting the ruling class and causing embarrassment of the Democratic Party in particular. Rather than an undercurrent of frustration, this reality is now visible and audible.

The encampments are driving conversation nationwide and indicating that divestment from the apartheid project will become a major cause for years to come. Whether or not divestment is won in the short term, the youth have thrown down the gauntlet and declared what side of history they will be on. Given this, we have prioritized maintaining and defending the encampments wherever this helps retain the mass character of the student movement, creates a base to return to, and extends the ruling class’s political crisis. Sometimes an encampment cannot be preserved for a range of factors, and in these cases we seek other tactics that are equally impossible to ignore, and which retain the dynamic of mass participation in the struggle.

Liberation News posted:

7: Beware of the administration’s bureaucratizing tactics: toothless promises, secret negotiations, stalling and hand picking student leaders

Meeting across the table from one’s enemies is a necessary part of all struggles — in wars, labor fights or student encampments. There is nothing in principle wrong with it, and all negotiations reflect the shifting balance of forces. But this negotiating room with students is largely the ruling class’s terrain and their hope is to sap students’ energy and dynamism through Byzantine bureaucratic processes, or divide them with half-measures that they dangle as “concessions.” But all that glitters is not gold. With all their money, they can easily throw around this or that scholarship for students in Gaza or a new “safe space” for Muslim students. It is all a pittance compared to the billions they’re making on apartheid, and by not divesting; it is a pittance compared to the headaches caused by the encampments.

Anything that bogs down the struggle is a setback at a time when student encampments have enormous moral power and political leverage. The question of how best to advance a mass radical anti-war movement is not identical to a conventional labor struggle; students’ core leverage is in maintaining the encampment itself as a space of mass movement outside of the administration’s political control that has the capacity to grow and take further action. The continued radicalization of young people is itself a form of leverage. To make the encampment more “manageable,” exclusive to student participation and so on, only undercuts this leverage. And once the encampment is gone, almost all of the students’ leverage is gone too. We recommend that all negotiations be opened as a form of mass exposure of the administration; otherwise, they create inordinate power for a small, generally unaccountable group of negotiators.

In situations where encampments are simply unable to continue, and their unraveling or total repression is likely, it is understandable why some would feel the pressure to accept some negotiated end. But even in those cases, there are only a few negotiated concessions short of divestment that would have any real political value for the next stage of struggle and which the administration can’t wiggle out of. Anything that routes this struggle, while it is in a stage of popular mobilization, into bureaucratized processes, non-binding agreements and endless advisory committees, plays into the hands of the administration. Because endowments are integrated into highly complex investment portfolios, managed by third parties, this gives universities additional opportunities to drag things out with legal technicalities. In the cases where a negotiated end is inevitable, the important thing is to not call a setback a victory as some have erroneously done. It is stronger to go out with the integrity and principles of the student movement intact; this creates a more solid foundation for the next wave of militant struggle and exposes the administration, the state and the ruling class. This is the model set by Columbia and several other schools. Of course, even where errors are made or people succumb unnecessarily to the pressure of the administration, this is not the end of the struggle; even bureaucratized processes can be utilized as targets and timelines for the next stage of student mobilization, a means to expose the administration’s broken promises and hopefully rebuilding an even stronger movement.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 06:24 on May 14, 2024

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

their democracy officers need to know they still uphold freedom and liberty

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Oh yeah, I’m sure that’ll do it

speng31b posted:

drivers ed for being pro genocide

U did an antisemitism so now u have to take a defensive driving class

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 02:17 on May 14, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus

quote:

In the reflection paper assignment, students are directed to “write a clear, well-developed response that demonstrates that you have thought about all aspects of the issue/decision/behavior that resulted in your involvement with the Office of Student Conduct.” The response must include a discussion of whether the student’s involvement in the “incident” for which they are being punished aligns with their “personal values,” but it may not include anything that might “serve to justify” their action or “challenge a conduct regulation.” Sara Pursley, associate professor of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies and a member of FSJP, commented that “Since they can’t write anything justifying their action, students seem to be banned from writing about personal values that might be relevant here, such as a belief in freedom of expression, the responsibility to oppose genocide, or the duty of nonviolent civil disobedience under certain circumstances. This seems rather ironic in an essay on integrity.” Other students are required to complete modules 1-4 of the Ethos Integrity Series Modules, which comprise 49 pages of detailed directions and writing assignments on students’ “values,” including reflections on what a “person of character” might have done in their situation. The disciplinary letters for students subjected to both assignments note that “Failure to sufficiently complete this sanction will result in a censure being placed on your academic transcript.”

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

oh no not a censure on my academic transcript

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mandel Brotset posted:

oh no not a censure on my academic transcript

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I bet a large language model could write a suitably obsequious essay.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I bet a large language model could write a suitably obsequious essay.

There's already the closing monologue to The Breakfast Club... just quote that and be done with it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I would opt in on that transcript censure so loving fast. That's like getting a cum load on your degree or whatever, incredible badge of honor imo.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/oaklanduprising/status/1790196350078083101

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:56 on May 14, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

You must use your right of Free Speech properly by reciting what the state wants you to. This is true education. Do not deviate and you will be seen as a proper, free citizen of democracy

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Andorra posted:

lol that apparently doxxing and encouraging death and rape threats is protected by the first amendment but not criticizing a foreign government

Cool country

zionists will stop at nothing to perpetuate their evil

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

my_custom_username posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cock-spam

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1790145152696099302
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1790364728839094549

quote:

Sterling Professor of Social and Natural Science at Yale. Physician. Author of Apollo's Arrow; Blueprint; and Connected.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'll say it: America should stop arming and funding Iran

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

StashAugustine posted:

I'll say it: America should stop arming and funding Iran

What's it like being so brave?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

I'll say it: America should stop start arming and funding Iran

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

There is a 100% chance this man has unironically accused someone else of ‘whataboutism’

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

It's like if someone put Danny Huston through an obnoxiously smug filter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yale and harvard better divest from the IRGC NOW

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Nicholas pisstakis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's it like being so brave?

It feels like being Sterling Professor of Social and Natural Science Nicholas A Christakis, that’s what!