Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

FPyat posted:

Halfway through Last Argument of Kings. It does feel like Joe was writing his own take on both the major battles of The Lord of the Rings.

Update: Reading "Leaves on the Water," it sets in that the books haven't offered much concrete reason to think of Bethod as being any morally or politically worse than the Union.

I think it's a short story in Sharp Ends that shows Bethod is an intellectual as far as the northmen go, Logen is the psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mewse posted:

I think it's a short story in Sharp Ends that shows Bethod is an intellectual as far as the northmen go, Logen is the psycho.

Yeah it's been a while since I've read sharp ends, but my recollection of that story is that it suggests that Bethod is generally well-intentioned (as well-intentioned as anyone who ever wanted to be a king ever was, anyway) but in over his head and that Logen...well the subtext of his shocking act of depravity is "ah geez, here we go again," you get the sense that he's prone to that kind of thing

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Sharp Ends does a really great job showing why everybody was both terrified of Logen and absolutely sick of his poo poo.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Our books finally arrived, after many, many weeks. Turns out the shop owed 50 quid and the suppliers didn't bother to tell us, just assembled 3 orders and waited to be paid. So a crapping poo poo ton of books turned up today and our fantasy/sci-fi/horror section is near bursting with a grand of new delicious sellable (good) books. :woop: So I bought the next three Abercrombie books and Sharp Ends as well.

Malheureusement, our rich benefactor person seems to have grown tired of us as a shiny thing so our shop is probably for the chop unless sales drastically increase. :emo:

Anyway, I am now 50 pages into Best Served Cold. VENGEANCE!!!!!!! Yes please. SHIVERS!!!!!! 'Kay, Shivers is about to go through an attempted mugging from 4 lads which is rather a lot for one person but, y'know...

Also t'internet tells me a movie version is brewing with Rebecca Ferguson as a fantasy Italian who is gonna go HAM loving poo poo up. I'd watch it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Monica Bellucci posted:

Malheureusement, our rich benefactor person seems to have grown tired of us as a shiny thing so our shop is probably for the chop unless sales drastically increase. :emo:

Anyway, I am now 50 pages into Best Served Cold. VENGEANCE!!!!!!! Yes please. SHIVERS!!!!!! 'Kay, Shivers is about to go through an attempted mugging from 4 lads which is rather a lot for one person but, y'know...

Sorry about your shop. That's my fav Abercrombie book. Shivers has quite the journey in that one.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

FPyat posted:

Halfway through Last Argument of Kings. It does feel like Joe was writing his own take on both the major battles of The Lord of the Rings.

Update: Reading "Leaves on the Water," it sets in that the books haven't offered much concrete reason to think of Bethod as being any morally or politically worse than the Union.

Yuuuup.

You should get your hands on Sharp Ends, the collection of short stories set in the First Law world. There's one showing the circumstances Bethod laid out this chapter: how it was Logen who pushed things completely off the rails.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oh, I was gonna read Sharp Ends after the other three but does it matter?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Monica Bellucci posted:

It was published after Red Country. I don't know if it has spoilers for the 3 stand-alone novels

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

i read it first and it whetted my appetite fiercely

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

FPyat posted:

The bit where glocter gets ardy from her house during the siege they troll lotr a bit with them talking about the fall of the maker book she was reading lol

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I had stuff to do today and, on my way home, stopped at a pub and slaked my thirst while reading, so on page 156 aka cameo A just beat cameo B into complicity. "It's a living".

So far, it reads very heavily like Joe was playing Assassin's Creed II and the story clicked for him. I really like Friendly, the poisoners seem to be the rich idiot people of this book (other than the rich idiot people) and Shivers, eh, I can't figure whether he is Logen 1.3 or 2.1

Time and reading on will tell. Really enjoying it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Monica Bellucci posted:

So far, it reads very heavily like Joe was playing Assassin's Creed II and the story clicked for him. I really like Friendly, the poisoners seem to be the rich idiot people of this book (other than the rich idiot people) and Shivers, eh, I can't figure whether he is Logen 1.3 or 2.1

I think Castor Morveer is my favorite character of the book. I love the stark difference in his POV, and how everyone else sees him.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Hughmoris posted:

I think Castor Morveer is my favorite character of the book. I love the stark difference in his POV, and how everyone else sees him.

He is such a tremendous tool. From other people's view you can tell they are looking at the top of his head while he mumbles at his shoes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Morveer's big galaxy brain moment is hysterical though, one of the funniest scenes in the series

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

No Dignity posted:

Morveer's big galaxy brain moment is hysterical though, one of the funniest scenes in the series

I loved Shivers' moment of "You will never be able to see across a crowded room"

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Monica Bellucci posted:

and Shivers, eh, I can't figure whether he is Logen 1.3 or 2.1

I think Shivers is what Logen could have been if he actually tried to be a better person, rather than just repeating the mantra about it over and over.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Xenix posted:

I think Shivers is what Logen could have been if he actually tried to be a better person, rather than just repeating the mantra about it over and over.

That's my read too. Also that Shivers is the protagonist of the series.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Shivers' big moment in The Heroes is one of the all time Oh poo poo moments in fantasy IMO

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Given Joe’s influence from Shelby Foote, it looks like the Gurkish attack I just read was a tribute to the Battle of the Crater.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yet more reading in the sun avec pint. 5/7. 424 pages in.

The Bordello reminded me for all the world of an Oscar Wilde farce but instead of everyone just keeps missing each other, it cuts from room to room as everything builds "VENGEANCE!" "WRONG PERSON OH gently caress" "gently caress YOU SAY ABOUT MY DICE?" "Hmm yes, our part is done strategically, tactically, brilliantly, why will no-one recognise my genius?" I love Friendly, the anankastic doof.

Your Dad's a Banker. Hmm, yes only the, ah, target. What are we? Precise, yes. *Kills like 40-50 people* What a completely hypocritical arsehole. That said, the difference between his internal delusions and reality are loving hysterical.

The appreciation of art and how a proper rendering can draw the eye. Well, uh, poo poo. Some baddies really need to keep an eye on what they are doing instead of wanking themselves off about how great they are. That point got driven home. Dumbass.

And lastly at the moment, a short excursion into the countryside for a ruddy good gambol. I will never think about mushroom soup the same way again, that is some utterly fantastic physical comedy and the strong hints of Morveer's proclivities were sublime.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
100 pages from the end and everything seems almost wrapped up. A lesser author would finish 20-30 pages from this point, I suppose.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Monza casually nuking Jezal's Potemkin marriage and ego is very funny and I'm almost sad we didn't get a Sharp Ends story of Glokta doing damage control.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Monza casually nuking Jezal's Potemkin marriage and ego is very funny and I'm almost sad we didn't get a Sharp Ends story of Glokta doing damage control.

That was amazing. It's 9-10 years later and the phenomenal dolt still hasn't noticed.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finished Last Argument. Ardee is happy so it's a happy ending as far as I'm concerned.

Before I picked the books up, it was the "grimdark" label that put me off. It makes me imagine something that will be a pure bummer to read, depression fuel, even though I know from Warhammer books that it doesn't necessarily entail that. But the series turned out to have as much humor and light moments as the 40K books I liked most, so it was nothing to be wary of.

Ccs posted:

I've been watching The Last Kingdom recently and while I think it's a series that anyone who is a fan of Abercrombie's works would enjoy, it also has Simon Kunz as the perfect Bayaz.

I've heard Graham McTavish as a possible perfect casting for Bayaz before, but I think this guy's acting is a cut above. He can't play as commanding as Bayaz in The Last Kingdom since his role as Odda is an advisor to a king who is actually just an advisor and not a puppetmaster, but it's almost there.

I'm strongly of the mind that Kevin Michael Richardson would voice an incredible animated Bayaz.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Jason Statham? Beefy, bald, only his hair ages all that much and it is gone now. Also a lot better actor than he is given credit for, dude slots himself into the role needed and gets on with it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive pictured vincent donofrio as bayaz since i first read his description

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just googled bald actors lol. Jason Alexander would kill it as Bayaz. Dean Norris is closer to the person I envisioned while reading.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mewse posted:

I just googled bald actors lol. Jason Alexander would kill it as Bayaz. Dean Norris is closer to the person I envisioned while reading.

I’m here for Jason Alexander’s odenkirk-ish transition to drama

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m here for Jason Alexander’s odenkirk-ish transition to drama

He played a very convincing creep in Pretty Woman, long before Seinfeld. He'd be magnificent as Bayaz "guy who has ulterior motives oozing out his pores"

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nah, Bayaz is a reassuring Shithead. Get to book 2 before the throwdown. (EVEN IF HE IS NOT.)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I really want an HBO series adoption but I have no idea how they keep the series main character Salem Rews reveal for three seasons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really want an HBO series adoption but I have no idea how they keep the series main character Salem Rews reveal for three seasons.

he’s badly burned, isn’t he? You could do it with makeup I’m sure. And if you can’t you can always make him wear a mask and maybe a fat suit before he gets sent off or something

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

You'd have to cast one actor for Rews, and another for Pike. Anything else would be blindingly obvious

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Jeff bridges look from the first Iron Man is Bayaz

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Graham McTavish as Bayaz.

That's it. That's the post.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ZekeNY posted:

You'd have to cast one actor for Rews, and another for Pike. Anything else would be blindingly obvious

The first season of Star Trek Discovery tried to do it with Clem H. Fandango getting credited for one of two roles with an assumed name but people still sussed it out.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
If you wanted to take a meta approach to Bayaz: Patrick Stewart. The man can play a good villain but almost never does so, thus giving the audience the right first impression.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Magitek posted:

If you wanted to take a meta approach to Bayaz: Patrick Stewart. The man can play a good villain but almost never does so, thus giving the audience the right first impression.

Unfortunately he is finally aging, and I don't think could project the kind of bald butcher look that Bayaz needs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lawrence fishburne would be pretty good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Jeff Bridges would have been perfect. :(