Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

When one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable, like rich, Corinthian leather. And finally, it becomes so familiar that one can’t remember feeling any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Stuff like Hypernauts. Stuff like 1993 made-for-TV movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Stuff that only existed for brief fleeting moments before fading into obscurity.

Funny coincidence: Tim Russ is in '93 JttCotE along with a few other Star Trek actors like Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn) as yeti the team nicknames "Dallas".

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 14, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Stuff like Hypernauts. Stuff like 1993 made-for-TV movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Stuff that only existed for brief fleeting moments before fading into obscurity.

Funny coincidence: Tim Russ is in '93 JttCotE along with a few other Star Trek actors like Carmel Struycken (Mr. Homn) as yeti the team nicknames "Dallas".

This thread is officially a Hypernauts thread now. All of you Star Trek assholes, get the gently caress out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Idk what that is

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Funny coincidence: Tim Russ is in '93 JttCotE along with a few other Star Trek actors like Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn) as yeti the team nicknames "Dallas".

I never saw the 1993 made-for-TV JttCotE, but I think I saw the 1999 one on USA.

Hypernauts was the poo poo, though. I remember failing miserably (at age 10) in my attempt to make one of those mechs out of LEGO.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

I never saw the 1993 made-for-TV JttCotE, but I think I saw the 1999 one on USA.

It stands out for being "more" sci-fi than other adaptations. Think 80% The Core, 20% Voyager.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

THERE she is!

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TuxedoOrca posted:

The solution is to watch things that aired so long ago their fandoms are dead.

I just read ancient Sumerian comics.
Hahah, oh Dumuzifield I hate Mondays too!!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Did anyone else see the Red Planet animated miniseries in the 90s? We need to bring that back.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
why aren't you all watching Lexx.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Did anyone else see the Red Planet animated miniseries in the 90s? We need to bring that back.

I was pretty stoked for that because I'd read the book. My dad was a big Heinlein fan so I tore through most of the juveniles right around that time.

I found it on youtube a couple years ago. It holds up okay.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The trouble with going back to sci-fi shows you knew as a kid is that in all likelihood they won't be anywhere NEAR as good as you remember.

Which is why I've never looked up anything more than the opening-credit theme songs of Misfits of Science or War of the Worlds. I don't want to spoil those memories like I spoiled Knight Rider. (I saw a few episodes on late night cable and it was TERRIBLE.)

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Powered Descent posted:

The trouble with going back to sci-fi shows you knew as a kid is that in all likelihood they won't be anywhere NEAR as good as you remember.

Which is why I've never looked up anything more than the opening-credit theme songs of Misfits of Science or War of the Worlds. I don't want to spoil those memories like I spoiled Knight Rider. (I saw a few episodes on late night cable and it was TERRIBLE.)

Knight Rider is still awesome what is wrong with you

Unless like, you’re talking TKR or the Val Kilmer knight rider, that doesn’t even deserve capital letters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
At least Babylon 5 stays good.
I tried going back and watching Xena and it's not that it's BAD exactly, it's just very boring.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Tighclops posted:

why aren't you all watching Lexx.

It seemed like it was getting less batshit insane with each episode and without the batshit insanity I didn't see the appeal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's funny because I started a Lexx rewatch like a week and a half ago and I'm on Season 3 now.

Yeah, it does get a bit less batshit, but I attribute that mostly from moving from Showtime to Syfy.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Taear posted:

At least Babylon 5 stays good.
I tried going back and watching Xena and it's not that it's BAD exactly, it's just very boring.

I just watched Xena and it ruled. Camp levels off the charts. So many episodes with plot lines like “Gabrielle met a god and made him mad and he shrunk Xena’s horse, whatever will she do?” It also gets super weird, they go all over the world and meet all kinds of deities and stuff. It’s hilarious the whole time though.

Edit: for the record I would put it on and do other stuff most of the time (or fall asleep), watching every episode with full attention would prolly get old

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 15, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah. And then you look up the best episodes, and you see the comedy one on there, and you remember that as really funny, and you do find it funny, but not because it's really that funny, it's because it feels like a reward for being a devoted fan and getting all the little details?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I just watched Xena and it ruled. Camp levels off the charts. So many episodes with plot lines like “Gabrielle met a god and made him mad and he shrunk Xena’s horse, whatever will she do?” It also gets super weird, they go all over the world and meet all kinds of deities and stuff. It’s hilarious the whole time though.

I still get the Joxer the Mighty song earworm once in a while

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Rubber Chicken posted:

This is actually a big part of why I watched it. He’s Joxer the Mighty, he’s really tidy…

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Accipiter posted:

Unless like, you’re talking TKR or the Val Kilmer knight rider, that doesn’t even deserve capital letters.

Ever see the TV movie Knight Rider 2000, where crime is out of control in THE FUTURE because the cop can't carry guns anymore?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Xena was superior to Hercules.

And based on what each of them say in todays world, she still is.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

The Last Call posted:

For sure, but the crossover world building made both better

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The Last Call posted:

I specifically avoided watching Hercules, even though I liked it more when I was a kid.

To bring it back to Trek, it was fun seeing Karl Urban keep showing up as different characters, but I didn’t recognize any other actors that had been in anything Star Trek related, which is rare, but I suffer from the standard issue goon faceblindness, so who knows.

Edit: Anson Williams directed some Hercules and Xena episodes and also some episodes of DS9 and Voyager, including the Nog/Vic Fontaine episode.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 15, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Last Call posted:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jeremy Roberts was in both Xena and Hercules and also Star Treks

quote:

Along with James Cromwell, Boris Lee Krutonog, Alice Krige and Jack Shearer, he is one of only five actors to initially play a character in a "Star Trek" film before reprising their role in a "Star Trek" television series. He played Lt. Dmitri Valtane in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) and later reprised his role in Flashback (1996).

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Time's Arrow really feels the most Doctor Who-ish episode of the series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Time's Arrow really feels the most Doctor Who-ish episode of the series.

- Time travel
- Idealized fictional version of a famous person
- Aliens loving with the past
- Famous person accidentally goes to the future and is told how important they are/were
- Famous person is kind of a nuisance for half the episode

It checks out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Time travel
- Idealized fictional version of a famous person
- Aliens loving with the past
- Famous person accidentally goes to the future and is told how important they are/were
- Famous person is kind of a nuisance for half the episode

It checks out

So does that make Guinan the companion to Data's Doctor?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Ever see the TV movie Knight Rider 2000, where crime is out of control in THE FUTURE because the cop can't carry guns anymore?

Jimmy Doohan sort of plays Scotty in that one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rubber Chicken posted:

I guess it's like in TNG where you've got 26 episodes per series and only a certain amount of them are good.
Series 4 of TNG you've got maybe 5 episodes that aren't very good. Not so much that I'd skip them but I'm not really enjoying them, they're background noise. Then you've got an equal amount of extremely good ones that you pay super attention to. The rest are enjoyable watches but nothing special.

With Xena you've got about 4 per series that are good fun. The groundhog day episode is a great example of this. But then all the rest are background noise and some are actively bad and you lose nothing skipping them. I don't use TV as background noise so I got up to maybe series 3/4 on the rewatch and straight up gave up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Accipiter posted:

Jimmy Doohan sort of plays Scotty in that one.

If I remember it right, Doohan plays himself, but Michael recognizes him as "the guy who played Scotty on Star Trek".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Doctor Who never did the whole thing of an immortal robot following a time traveler just by waiting until after Data did it.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeZjmQbj-0

I had it recorded of TV on VHS as a kid, but missed the first third, although it still works without the slowburn stuff with the miners. The wild and crazy aliens out in the wilderness is the best part.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Accipiter posted:

Why was it called Knight Rider? The cars name was Kitt. No one rode Michael Knight. :wink:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Doctor Who never did the whole thing of an immortal robot following a time traveler just by waiting until after Data did it.

Chrono Trigger did it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Chrono Trigger did it too.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy too. Dr who although it involves time travel, generally once people arrived in a time period it'd stay in that time period until the story was done. Probably because if you can time travel at will you should probably be able to solve pretty much every problem trivially.

Trek writers could probably relate.