Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I will probably watch some of this just to try to better understand the way front offices think. I expect it’ll be extremely dull, though. It feels very much like team executives demanding more face time and the HN team caving because they have to make these people happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The drama of the season will be how much more money they'll be paying Danny Dimes to lead them to 6-11.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Giants unis remind me of the bumblebee Steelers. Hideous in a vacuum, but the historical value justifies wearing them a couple of times.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
6-11 seems generous. Jones’ll be gone after this season though thankfully

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just want the Raiders to be mediocre or, failing that, have some all time top tier sicko games.

Also for Butker to be destroyed specifically, and the Chiefs more generally.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Docjowles posted:

lol wtf. I thought by offseason they meant the usual one that leads up to the start of the season. Not like... bullshit summer months when zero football activities are happening.

TV Guide Description
Watch the drama unfold as Giants' Head Coach Brian Daboll slowly realizes he is stuck with Daniel 'Dimes' Jones for another season.
Rated TV-MA for self harm.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

Schedules out means betting lines are out, which means:

Bears should be in the Young QBs tier, why do people just assume a rookie qb won't suck as bad as 99% of other rookie qbs.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bears should be in the Young QBs tier, why do people just assume a rookie qb won't suck as bad as 99% of other rookie qbs.

Guessing it's just based on the betting lines or whatever not actual team composition.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

R.D. Mangles posted:

But the rest of the Bears roster is good; they had the #1 overall via trade, not because they sucked.

Scipiotik posted:

Guessing it's just based on the betting lines or whatever not actual team composition.
Also this - the chart is based solely on what people are wagering.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also CJ Stroud is gonna break some brains since he's the exception and not the norm as far as rookie QBs go.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Browns suck at most things, but this was pretty solid, especially week 18 Ravens and the cameo at the end.

https://x.com/browns/status/1790894940660044228

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not since Ansel Elgort in Tokyo Vice has there been a better performance by a sex pest

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The Browns suck at most things, but this was pretty solid, especially week 18 Ravens and the cameo at the end.

https://x.com/browns/status/1790894940660044228

the terrible towel one is so weak, it isn't some sacred thing we make towel pillows and bags and tons of poo poo outa them

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

At least they acknowledge that there are valid reasons to hate them, besides being from Ohio.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

sharknado slashfic posted:

At least they acknowledge that there are valid reasons to hate them, besides being from Ohio.

Ohio recently legalized marijuana and codified a woman's right to choose what happens to her own body in the state constitution so we're at least doing some things right.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Mega64 posted:

Also CJ Stroud is gonna break some brains since he's the exception and not the norm as far as rookie QBs go.

I spent some time this afternoon looking up rookie statlines for modern QBs who went on to become passable starters, and while Stroud is definitely an exception and there are some quality QBs who struggled out of the gate, since 2016 the average rookie season for a decent-to-good QB was actually a lot better than I expected. Some stats for shorthand:

CJ Stroud — 274 ypg, 63.9% completion, 23 TD/5 INT, 57.5 QBR
Justin Herbert — 289 ypg, 66.6% completion, 31 TD/10 INT, 62.6 QBR
Dak Prescott — 229 ypg, 67.8% completion, 23 TD/4 INT, 77.6 QBR
Deshaun Watson — 243 ypg, 61.8% completion, 19 TD/8 INT, 83.7 QBR
Baker Mayfield — 226 ypg, 63.8% completion, 27 TD/14 INT, 51.2 QBR
Kyler Murray — 233 ypg, 64.4% completion, 20 TD/12 INT, 57.7 QBR
Joe Burrow — 269 ypg, 65.3% completion, 13 TD/5 INT, 48.5 QBR
----line of "kind of underwhelming" falls somewhere around here----
Tua Tagovailoa — 181 ypg, 64.1% completion, 11 TD/5 INT, 44.8 QBR
Lamar Jackson — 75 ypg, 58.2% completion, 6 TD/3 INT, 42.6 QBR
Josh Allen — 173 ypg, 52.8% completion, 10 TD/12 INT, 49.8 QBR
Trevor Lawrence — 214 ypg, 59.6% completion, 12 TD/17 INT, 39.1 QBR
Jared Goff — 156 ypg, 54.6% completion, 5 TD/7 INT, 18.3 QBR

Obviously there's no guarantee that Caleb is actually good, but if he is and the coaching staff aren't Urban-level fuckups, there's a pretty decent chance he's at least an alright QB out of the gates. One thing that caught my eye is that the other Riley QBs put up pretty solid numbers as Day 1 starters; I think performing on par with Baker/Kyler is a good target to set for Williams

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

now post bryce young

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Alaois posted:

now post bryce young

Don't think we can post goatse anymore

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bryce Young's dumpster fire rookie season would have been the 14th best season by passing yardage in Chicago Bears history

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

xbilkis posted:

Bryce Young's dumpster fire rookie season would have been the 14th best season by passing yardage in Chicago Bears history

I smell a trade

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

xbilkis posted:

Lol this is amazing

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Don't think we can post goatse anymore

Goatse has something Tepper's Panthers will never have: a ring

Mega64
May 23, 2008

xbilkis posted:

So you're saying the Panthers fleeced the Bears.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kalli posted:

Schedules out means betting lines are out, which means:

gamblers putting money on the cowboys deserve to lose

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I spent some time this afternoon looking up rookie statlines for modern QBs who went on to become passable starters, and while Stroud is definitely an exception and there are some quality QBs who struggled out of the gate, since 2016 the average rookie season for a decent-to-good QB was actually a lot better than I expected. Some stats for shorthand:

CJ Stroud — 274 ypg, 63.9% completion, 23 TD/5 INT, 57.5 QBR
Justin Herbert — 289 ypg, 66.6% completion, 31 TD/10 INT, 62.6 QBR
Dak Prescott — 229 ypg, 67.8% completion, 23 TD/4 INT, 77.6 QBR
Deshaun Watson — 243 ypg, 61.8% completion, 19 TD/8 INT, 83.7 QBR
Baker Mayfield — 226 ypg, 63.8% completion, 27 TD/14 INT, 51.2 QBR
Kyler Murray — 233 ypg, 64.4% completion, 20 TD/12 INT, 57.7 QBR
Joe Burrow — 269 ypg, 65.3% completion, 13 TD/5 INT, 48.5 QBR
----line of "kind of underwhelming" falls somewhere around here----
Tua Tagovailoa — 181 ypg, 64.1% completion, 11 TD/5 INT, 44.8 QBR
Lamar Jackson — 75 ypg, 58.2% completion, 6 TD/3 INT, 42.6 QBR
Josh Allen — 173 ypg, 52.8% completion, 10 TD/12 INT, 49.8 QBR
Trevor Lawrence — 214 ypg, 59.6% completion, 12 TD/17 INT, 39.1 QBR
Jared Goff — 156 ypg, 54.6% completion, 5 TD/7 INT, 18.3 QBR

Obviously there's no guarantee that Caleb is actually good, but if he is and the coaching staff aren't Urban-level fuckups, there's a pretty decent chance he's at least an alright QB out of the gates. One thing that caught my eye is that the other Riley QBs put up pretty solid numbers as Day 1 starters; I think performing on par with Baker/Kyler is a good target to set for Williams

Why are you putting Dak and Kyler as passable starters?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
75 ypg. Rookie Lamar was terrific.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

really queer Christmas posted:

the cowboys deserve to lose

ftfy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Amusingly Mac Jones slots pretty well into the upper half of that chart.

223 ypg, 67.6% completion, 22 TD/13 INT, 56.9 QBR

Just like, don’t ask about the subsequent years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

xbilkis posted:

so Caleb's rookie year needs to be a top five all-time Bears QB performance to be kind of noteworthy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

indigi posted:

so Caleb's rookie year needs to be a top five all-time Bears QB performance to be kind of noteworthy

Cutler's first year as a Bear was 3rd all-time https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/single-season-passing.htm
Trubisky's second year was 6th; his third was 9th

The last 3 Bears QBs are top 10 all-time in total yardage https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/career-passing.htm

Dexo and xbilkis are over here saying repeatedly that this team vastly exceeds, in terms of talent, the team any of them had around them those years; you and a significant amount of others are saying Caleb is all-timer/top-tier talent that deserved to be first overall and a franchise QB. Cutler and Trubisky weren't and managed significant results in Bears history (same for Fields in the total yards department over multiple years), so

yeah

That's what that looks like, that's what should be manageable. By your own criteria, by your own praise, he should easily be able to top them then

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

indigi posted:

Assuming no injuries, he should easily have the franchise single season record in passing yards and possibly TDs. 3850/30 in 17 games is all it would take to own both records.

Cutlers top two WRs that first year were Earl Bennett and Devin Hester.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 17, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

trevorreznik posted:

Cutlers top two WRs that first year were Earl Bennett and Devin Hester.

A hall of famer and Earl Bennett was an ok #2 back then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

A hall of famer and Earl Bennett was an ok #2 back then.

It wasn't Cutler's fault that Johnny knox folded under pressure.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

:drat:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

:wow:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why are we talking about Cutler in Chicago like he was a rookie

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

He wouldn't care.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

kiimo posted:

can we talk about him like he was dookie? :rimshot:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

kiimo posted:

we're talking about the best seasons by a Bears QB in order to figure out how low expectations should be for Caleb's rookie season, and Cutler's first season there is easily in the top 5 even though it was with a bad supporting cast... and still wasn't that good.

I think if I was a Bears fan I'd be worried if Caleb doesn't turn in a top-10 season his rookie year because it's a really, really low bar to clear and the team around him is already pretty good. plus if he doesn't turn in a very solid season the coaching staff will probably get canned and that would make me anxious about Caleb's development.