Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you've played Stranger of Paradise, 16 won't hit for you. If you've played Super Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2: Reunion/(Reverse)/Rebirth+Ultra, 16 won't hit for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you like FF14, FF16 will hit for you

Final Fantasy: Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins will hit for you if you like video games and having fun

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Gologle posted:

If you've played Stranger of Paradise, 16 won't hit for you. If you've played Super Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2: Reunion/(Reverse)/Rebirth+Ultra, 16 won't hit for you.

I like 16 more than rebirth by a fair bit, though not more than remake. Jury is out on SOP though, that's super close actually, at least on gut reaction. Probably give it to SOP but it's close.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

I like all 3. Skill issue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is unfair to compare any game to Rebirth, as that is the greatest game ever released.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I liked 16 a lot but Rebirth is on another level. Combat just feels a lot better even if I enjoy 16’s character action style, the action ATB thing they cooked up is just perfection. Don’t get me started on the side quests, 16’s are the blandest of the bland. And having an actually difficult hard mode that engages deeply in the mechanics without having to replay the game twice is a godsend too!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

I have played all 3 of those games and all 3 of them hit for me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked all three games but 7R-2 is genuinely one of my favorite games ever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ifrit vs Bahamut is genuinely one of the coolest things in any video game ever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Augus posted:

I have played all 3 of those games and all 3 of them hit for me

:same:

Video games are fun don’t @ me

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Augus posted:

I thought so at the time, but time and experience with Queen's Blood has taught me true peak

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gologle posted:

wrong

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh and Im also pissed that the HD compilations only have cutscene compilations of some of the games, specifically the ones that could've most used an HD makeover. Pouring out an ether for 358/2 days.

https://noisypixel.net/kingdom-hearts-358-2-days-fan-made-remaster/

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but this is a thing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've played and enjoyed SoP, though I wouldn't say I'm good at it. I've played a bit of 7 Remake, and need to get back to it at some point because I did legit enjoy the little I've played. I enjoyed 14 long ago, way back in 2.x when I was a Summoner and juggling all the DoTs, so when I returned a few months ago the new mechanics threw me for a loop and I stuck with leveling Blue Mage and doing Gold Saucer stuff until my paid month was over. 15's combat was very meh from me from the fourth of it I've played, and since I'm a PC/Switch player I haven't played the PS5 games yet, so in a way it's my fault SE is going bankrupt, sorry about that.

Anyway that's my Final Fantasy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's okay, SE makes good games when they're on the verge of bankruptcy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
SE comes out with a new series, Last Opportunity

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

jokes posted:

It's okay, SE makes good games when they're on the verge of bankruptcy

Sounds fair, let's all stop buying SE games now so they can release all their good games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FF16 is cool. Rebirth is sick.

Thank you for your time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mega64 posted:

So in the FF5 Fiesta discord I randomly starting thinking about protagonists as "doofs" and "bores". Doofs are the more aloof, goofy characters while Bores are the serious ones. I'm not using bore as a perogative either, many characters that are serious are good characters.

Obvious bores include WoL from FF1, Cecil, Terra, Squall, Lightning, and I assume Clive (haven't played 16 but all descriptions I've seen paint him as a bore). Obvious doofs include Bartz, Zidane, Tidus, Vaan, and I'd lean Noctis as well. I'm also gonna assume WoL from FF14 is a clear doof between what I've played and the many stories I've heard about 14.

There's some other more nuanced characters. Firion seems a weak bore, and Onion Knight a weak doof, as each has qualities of both, but Firion is from a more serious world and the OK is too young to be a proper bore. Cloud, of course, is a doof who believes he's a bore, and tries very hard to embrace his bore image despite every person easily seeing he's a doof. And 11's protag, I have no idea to be honest.

Of course, feel free to correct me or argue and/or corroborate my opinions. I figured this is a fun conversation to roll with.

Both protagonists of World of Final Fantasy flanderise the doof / bore trope to 11.

Arist posted:

FF16 is cool. Rebirth is sick.

Thank you for your time.

:yeah:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing to say about FF16 is that it has the horniest cutscene in all of Final Fantasies.

Please look forward to it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is unfair to compare any game to Rebirth, as that is the greatest game ever released.

I agree.

Gologle posted:

I thought so at the time, but time and experience with Queen's Blood has taught me true peak

Ikr. The gameplay in rebirth just blows anything 16 has going for it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Augus posted:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
16 definitely had some last-gen/outdated aspects, like the mannequin animations for the majority of conversations in the game. It sticks out like a sore thumb with the realistic graphics. Rebirth literally has mocap/hand-made animations for every single exchange no matter how big or small, and it's quite staggering.

Both good games, but one is clearly a bigger accomplishment in virtually all aspects than the other

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Tactics Ogre 2 Resurrection: Fat Bottomed Girls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still think it's a shame that (FF16 spoilers) we never got an eikon fight where Ifrit and Shiva teamed up. C'mon, we have a game with a romance subplot between people who can transform into Ifrit and Shiva and you don't give them a cool team-up fight moment in their eikon forms?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That's one of my two complaints about the game. I really really like FF16 but 1) it's side quests are peaks and valleys with nothing in between, some are super good, some are really really bland. And 2) Jill needed more to do. Everything else about the game is pretty rad the whole way through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, maybe we'll get FF16-2 starring Jill as she adventures in a new land.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to point out both Jill and Jihl are competent looking ish women who get immediately sidelined/killed so we get one more and its like the bad Cid of writing instead of weird that its happened twice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I want to point out both Jill and Jihl are competent looking ish women who get immediately sidelined/killed so we get one more and its like the bad Cid of writing instead of weird that its happened twice.

I'm... very confused what you mean by this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Barudak is suggesting that Jill may be a cursèd name in Final Fantasy

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like Jack has work to do, then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yes that is exactly it. I am now suspicious of Jill derived name characters in final fantasy moving forward.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Why, did one try to make you sell products?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Why, did one try to make you sell products?

No, Forspoken was the game SE wanted me to partner with them on so I dodged that without needing a Jill warning.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They managed to not sell that game just fine without you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what the gently caress are you two talking about

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somebody's not up on their goon lore. :rolleyes:

Barudak apparently has a sales job where they're heavily discouraged from actually selling anything.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I feel like time will be kind to ff16 because most people playing it 3 years from now will be doing it because it’s an FF game and who really expects difficulty in an FF game? Like some FFs you break with math, some with playing cards and some with instantly flinging your enemies into a fire tornado then shooting mega flare into the tornado. My only real complaint is I feel like the villain was kind of a dud which hurt the final act.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah initially I was of the opinion that Clive was maybe too strong because look at all of these amazingly powerful abilities that might honestly put both Dante and Bayonta to shame, who am I even going to use them on that requires that level of power? But then again FF games have never really been hard and it's very fun to style on things in FF16, if you're getting bored just dumping every final ability on enemies back to back or doing the same combo over and over, uh, change it up!

While I definitely liked Titan more than the final boss I also feel like 16's final boss is very much in line with a lot of classic final bosses, and that final fight is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think 16 has a lot in common with 9, in that it's leaning heavily and deliberately into the series Canon, and it is better for it.