Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Reposting from the wrong apple thread:
I just got the 11” iPad Pro with the crazy expensive apple case. I’m coming from what is I think a 7th gen iPad with the matching folio.

I’m bummed that you can’t fold the screen face up over the keyboard like you can with the folio case. The upside is this actually feels like a legit laptop replacement. The touchpad is great, the keys are backlit and feel good, but not as the good as that old rear end folio keyboard. But, everything is more stable overall and is perfectly responsive.

The refresh rate and blacks are so good. Just like the iPhone 14 Pro, I can’t go back to 60hz or whatever they were before.

Is there really no vs code app for iOS?

veni veni veni posted:

is there really no way to change this dumb circle cursor to an arrow with the Magic Keyboard? I hate it.

I’m okay with it. It’s supposed to represent a physical touch on the screen so it makes sense. But maybe someday they’ll sell mouse pointers for $.99 a piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I caved and bought a 13' Silver M4 after I saw that I could get $500 trade in for my current big guy. I tried to resist but consumerism overcame me

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Is there really no vs code app for iOS?

Because Apple knows that everyone who owns a MacBook also has an iPad and they want to continue to sell both devices to that customer on a regular upgrade cycle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird to me that they are pushing iPad so hard as a creative tool and then there's a camera sticking out of the back so it can't lay flat. Like, no one is going to want to draw or write on a table? As a table drawer it kind of sucks.

E: also, few more nothings after a couple of days with this thing/ipad (13 inch air) in general.

I noticed something with the Magic Keyboard that is low key driving me nuts. The pop up app switcher at the bottom of the screen is finicky as hell and constantly partially pops up and then retreats. I thought it was either broken or just functionally really lovely until I realized that my default is to rest my thumb on the little lip below the trackpad, since there is no area to rest it like on a MacBook. The trackpad must sense my thumb to some degree and it fucks up the touch functionality. This might be really specific to me personally, but it’s the most natural position to me so that kind of sucks. I can’t be the only one.

Forums hotkeys don’t work for some reason even when using a browser :(

YouTube loving SUCKS on iPad. Is there any way to just get the browser version working on this?

I got really excited when I saw corners was a feature on iPad. It’s my favorite MacBook feature and I use it all the time. it just…Doesn’t work? I turned it on and it does nothing. Even followed instructions online because the way to turn it on is convoluted, and still nothing. What am I missing here?

Overall I am very excited for this thing as a creative tool. So many options to choose from and drawing on it feels very good even if it’s going to take some getting used to. I’m really impressed with it as a piece of tech. Even for Apple the build quality and general feel is just insane. it does feel a bit like a product from the future (although not as much as the pro with 120HZ which I kind of wish I had). Feels absolutely premium. I treat my iPhones like crap, but I just want to baby this thing cause it feels so nice. Also the weight and thickness just feels really good.

As a laptop substitute though, total side grade. I want to use it over my 2017 MacBook Air, but so much is just…off. the screen on the iPad is better, it’s faster, it more powerful, just all around nicer. But functionally almost everything is worse. It feels less refined and way too easy to make mistakes. Things that can be done on MacBook in a single button press often take multiple interactions. Even something as basic as an escape key is missing from the keyboard (I know the new one has it but its apple so only the pro gets it) I remapped ~ to be esc, but much like corners it doesn’t seem to work. I dunno if esc even does anything iPad tbh. Such an important function just left out. I guess they just want me to use 3 finger swipe but it’s not the same. The thing just kind of sucks for multitasking and internet browsing in general. yet at the same time it’s easier to get distracted and not focus on the task at hand. Weird I know. The keyboard is like 90% of the way there, but I’m feeling that other 10% so much. It’s just a bit too cramped and lacking some really important functions.The trackpad is small and isn’t as good as a MacBook etc. There so much more like this, but I’m rambling.

Some of it just just stuff that is different and not necessarily “worse” and I can probably get used to it. Some of it is just worse though. I’m still going to try to transition to iPad as a daily driver, but for the time being, I usually grab my MacBook after something pisses me off on iPad and feel more at home. Really hoping for a major iOS update in the near future because I fully understand peoples complaints now. I feel like iOS is just way more suited to wasting time and dicking around which is why its great for a phone or even basic tablet use, but with how much these new ones cost and how powerful they are, Apple need to make something better or just let us run Mac OS. I feel like they have to be aware of this so my fingers are crossed.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

hatty posted:

I caved and bought a 13' Silver M4 after I saw that I could get $500 trade in for my current big guy. I tried to resist but consumerism overcame me

You’re going to be so stoked. It’s impossible to hold this thing and not be like “this is the future”.

I know how much of a biased rear end in a top hat I sound like but I have never held anything like it, even if we completely ignore the M4 and the tandem OLED, it’s hard to get over how thin it is.

I’m trying to think of an equivalent product, in terms of being amazed the first time it’s held. Maybe the iPhone X would be close? Or maybe when the iPad itself came out?

It’s so thin that if you made it any smaller it couldn’t even have a USB C port. That’s how thin it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I bought a pro tbh

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

You can just load up YouTube in the browser and use AdGuard and/or a browser extension like Vinegar (kills YT ads, forces YT to use Safari’s video player). you don’t need the app at all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The app blows

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sponsorblock is a great Safari extension for YouTube.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The iPad Thread - it's faster, it more powerful, just all around nicer. But functionally almost everything is worse.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Checked out the new Pro models at the fruit stand, gotta say they are really impressive technically speaking, and I really dig the new matte screen on the high end models. Really feels futuristic.

However I do agree that, while they are great content consumption machines, ipads do not work for me as laptop replacements. In that way the newest models really feel like tech demos. I'd wish for some of those features to make their way to the MacBooks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

The iPad Thread - it's faster, it more powerful, just all around nicer. But functionally almost everything is worse.

I think any power user looking to drop $1000+ on a iPad should expect it to work how they want it to work, and I'd be much happier using an iPad if it had a fully featured Finder or feature parity with mac apps, but I also think this is pretty relevant as well:

The contingent of professional Apple podcasting weirdos screaming about the iPad’s limitations really need to get out of their tiny bubble and understand that the vast majority of iPad owners are using the device to read Kindle books, play Candy Crush, and take bad photos.

Here's to hoping they don't ignore the iPad for iOS 18.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 17, 2024

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Corb3t posted:

I think any power user looking to drop $1000+ on a iPad should expect it to work how they want it to work, and I'd be much happier using an iPad if it had a fully featured Finder or feature parity with mac apps, but I also think this is pretty relevant as well:

The contingent of professional Apple podcasting weirdos screaming about the iPad’s limitations really need to get out of their tiny bubble and understand that the vast majority of iPad owners are using the device to read Kindle books, play Candy Crush, and take bad photos.

Yeah I think iPadOS on the ~$300 iPad is fine and maybe even good for that use case. But on a $1000+ "pro" model it's garbage.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

There are “pro” users of the iPad for sure, but most of them have either tailored their workflow to fit the iPad and/or deal with a bunch of compromises.

This guy has some good videos about making the most of the iPad. He’s very deep into Shortcuts and has his gripes, but he says he does everything on his iPad.

https://youtu.be/nkGUnzNvC4I?si=xcuK4mRNP4uUMeVb

https://youtu.be/rfUDVOJvGQY?si=VzLqesAGmBqIred9

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird to me that they are pushing iPad so hard as a creative tool and then there's a camera sticking out of the back so it can't lay flat. Like, no one is going to want to draw or write on a table? As a table drawer it kind of sucks.

There's a reason they sell tilting folio and keyboard cases :tinfoil:

I'd go through the rest of your post, but my break is ending.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is an absolute travesty there's no magic keyboard for the mini.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The mini needs promotion, a miniLED screen, and a built in switchblade

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

McGurk posted:

There are “pro” users of the iPad for sure, but most of them have either tailored their workflow to fit the iPad and/or deal with a bunch of compromises.

This guy has some good videos about making the most of the iPad. He’s very deep into Shortcuts and has his gripes, but he says he does everything on his iPad.

https://youtu.be/nkGUnzNvC4I?si=xcuK4mRNP4uUMeVb

https://youtu.be/rfUDVOJvGQY?si=VzLqesAGmBqIred9

This is a YouTuber so his pro use case is how can he come up with video concepts that get views. So if he can have the title of his video be "Back to the iPad: No More Mac" then yes the iPad Pro helped with his workflow. Once the M4 MacBook Pro comes out then he can make a different, newer video entitled "Back to the Mac: No More iPad."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

jokes posted:

It's funny that when you look at the comparisons on Apple's own website it prominently features the Magic Keyboards and Magic Keyboard Folio and then for the mini they're just like "Yeah it works with bluetooth keyboards or some poo poo, we didn't bother." I'd love some kind small keyboard case for my 6th gen mini, but not even companies like Logitech seem to make those, it's all for the regular iPad, the Airs, and the Pros.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

grahm posted:

This is a YouTuber so his pro use case is how can he come up with video concepts that get views. So if he can have the title of his video be "Back to the iPad: No More Mac" then yes the iPad Pro helped with his workflow. Once the M4 MacBook Pro comes out then he can make a different, newer video entitled "Back to the Mac: No More iPad."

I mean yeah 100% why I put pro in quotes. There’s definitely an ouroboros of Apple tech reviewers that need the latest products so they can make reviews about the latest products.

iPadOS has come a long way but I can’t see how they thread the needle (if they even want to) to make it more appealing for people seeking to replace a computer. More complicated gestures aren’t the answer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Today I had to visit Apple’s regional office for some work stuff, and it happened to be near an Apple Store. I had some time before the meeting, so I stopped at the store. I was thinking about the 11 inch pro, but my coworker and I saw the 13 and I immediately traded in my iPad Air for a 13 inch pro. Holy gently caress this thing is so light and the screen is amazing. I’m digging the new Magic Keyboard. The keys feel so much better.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Big pro 4 life

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

jokes posted:

brydge made a keyboard for earlier versions of the mini: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q61PGH/

lol I'm actually considering getting this thing because it is $30 now instead of $100 or whatever

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Corb3t posted:

I know there are people out there who use iPads as their primary devices, even for professional work, but I really just don't understand how someone does that without spending a whole lot of time digging really deep into Shortcuts and automations. iPads for me have always existed in this middle space between my phone and my computer, and while apparently a whole lot of people see it as having all the advantages of what they use a phone and a computer for I end up bumping into the limitations of a phone and a full computer in a single device.

E: using a pro max iPhone probably doesn’t help their either given that the iPad I have is a mini 6th gen, which has a screen that’s not substantially larger than the one on my phone

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 17, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Clark Nova posted:

brydge made a keyboard for earlier versions of the mini: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q61PGH/

lol I'm actually considering getting this thing because it is $30 now instead of $100 or whatever

There's no trackpad-- there's probably a billion options for bluetooth keyboard cases.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hatty posted:

The mini needs promotion, a miniLED screen, and a built in switchblade

imo given the price point the mini should always keep feature parity with the air

Branch Nvidian posted:

I know there are people out there who use iPads as their primary devices, even for professional work, but I really just don't understand how someone does that without spending a whole lot of time digging really deep into Shortcuts and automations. iPads for me have always existed in this middle space between my phone and my computer, and while apparently a whole lot of people see it as having all the advantages of what they use a phone and a computer for I end up bumping into the limitations of a phone and a full computer in a single device.

like with everything i think it entirely depends on what you use a computer for. most people, i’d wager, could actually get away with using an ipad as a computer; if you’re not doing a lot of programming, running engineering-specific softwares, maybe, or doing some domain-specific task.

but it would require a lot of change in terms of how one approaches computing and certainly the addition of yet more software being written. that is to say, i’m not entirely convinced that the restraints of the os are really what’s holding everyone else back

this doesn’t mean that there’s not a lot apple couldn’t do to expand functionality tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jokes posted:

There's no trackpad-- there's probably a billion options for bluetooth keyboard cases.

i bought that fold in half microsoft mobile keyboard and have no ragrets

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have one of those for the couch theyre not terrible

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

imo given the price point the mini should always keep feature parity with the air

like with everything i think it entirely depends on what you use a computer for. most people, i’d wager, could actually get away with using an ipad as a computer; if you’re not doing a lot of programming, running engineering-specific softwares, maybe, or doing some domain-specific task.

but it would require a lot of change in terms of how one approaches computing and certainly the addition of yet more software being written. that is to say, i’m not entirely convinced that the restraints of the os are really what’s holding everyone else back

this doesn’t mean that there’s not a lot apple couldn’t do to expand functionality tho

Yeah it’s just how I approach computing that causes me to have issues. I’m not doing programming or engineering or anything like that, I just for some reason established mental hard limits to devices that run a single app full screen and devices that can run multiple windowed applications at once and the iPad fits the size requirement of the latter while generally only functioning like the former. I know it’s a personal problem based on how I approach the device to start with (too big for a phone, too limited in multitasking for a computer). Short of just putting macOS on the iPad I don’t think it’s ever going to really click for me, and while Apple might continue to “macify” the iPad, it’ll never get full macOS.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Corb3t posted:

I think any power user looking to drop $1000+ on a iPad should expect it to work how they want it to work, and I'd be much happier using an iPad if it had a fully featured Finder or feature parity with mac apps

on the other hand, i think someone who's spending four figgies on a device that is running an unfamiiliar (to them) os should probably do some looking around to figure out if it works for them before buying it
this isn't to say ipados doesn't have shortcomings, it absolutely does and imo does not work as a primary computer for most people, but like... i wouldn't opt to run linux as my primary os if i didn't know what i could/couldn't do on it compared to the computer i'm using now.

ipados is a known quantity at this point, people need to make some effort to know it before attempting to replace their laptop.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 17, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Microsoft Designer Compact keyboard is way better than it should be too. It fuckin obliterates batteries though.

And is also apparently out of production.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Blueto...cs%2C104&sr=1-3

This anker one is similar form factor and lasts forever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

E: using a pro max iPhone probably doesn’t help their either given that the iPad I have is a mini 6th gen, which has a screen that’s not substantially larger than the one on my phone

I think the problem is that with the way they have headed with the marketing and pricing of iPads, there isn’t really much of an excuse. You could say “well its fine for what most people use an iPad for”, but someone dropping 1-2 grand on an iPad is probably going to want more from it than someone buying something for their kid to watch Netflix on. The software should really be the best of both worlds.

That said, the more I gently caress around with this thing, the closer I’m getting it to the experience I want from it and think it’ll work. But it’s taken so much googling and loving around it’s sort of ridiculous. in a bunch of small ways it feels so unintuitive coming from a Mac and only using iOS on a phone in the past.

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a reason they sell tilting folio and keyboard cases :tinfoil:

I'd go through the rest of your post, but my break is ending.

I have the keyboard and it does make it flat but it doesn’t fold back or anything which makes it useless for this scenario.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Twerk from Home posted:

Because Apple knows that everyone who owns a MacBook also has an iPad and they want to continue to sell both devices to that customer on a regular upgrade cycle.

I feel like Apple would want everyone on iOS asap as maintaining their crusty desktop os with all the security concerns that follow, would simply not be worth the effort.

Stop buying MacBooks you assholes!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

veni veni veni posted:

I think the problem is that with the way they have headed with the marketing and pricing of iPads, there isn’t really much of an excuse. You could say “well its fine for what most people use an iPad for”, but someone dropping 1-2 grand on an iPad is probably going to want more from it than someone buying something for their kid to watch Netflix on. The software should really be the best of both worlds.

That said, the more I gently caress around with this thing, the closer I’m getting it to the experience I want from it and think it’ll work. But it’s taken so much googling and loving around it’s sort of ridiculous. in a bunch of small ways it feels so unintuitive coming from a Mac and only using iOS on a phone in the past.

I have the keyboard and it does make it flat but it doesn’t fold back or anything which makes it useless for this scenario.

I much prefer the smart cover style cases. You can choose two different angles, with the shallow one being generally easier to use for art. I really don't see the point of the keyboard outside of a work scenario, as swiping is more than adequate for casual use, and I shitpost on this thing a LOT, as its replaced my Mac Mini and phone for home use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy moley. I’m finally able to play with this thing more and the new keyboard is loving perfect.

Edit: I’m selling my old Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2 in the ‘Mart if anyone is interested.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How’s the overall reliability of the pencils? My pencil pro worked great for about a day, then started constantly cutting out, then today just decided it didn’t want to write anymore. After taking every reasonable trouble shooting step I went back to Best Buy and swapped it for a new one. Hoping I just got as bunk one and the new one doesn’t have any issues.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've had my pencil for 4 years now and it still works fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

can’t speak to the new one but i have a first gen pro and the pencil is still fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I got my pencil 2 at the start of the pandemic and I’ve never had a problem with it.