Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MythosDragon posted:

CS2's ending

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All of them

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The ending ending, you know the one after To A Glimmering Tomorrow, which btw is the best song in the series through sheer emotional investment.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
CS2's ending is good in part because it's so long. You get time (and a timeskip, and a convenient temporary change in cast) to imagine, okay, this is bad, but Rean has his friends and this story's been all about friendsh--oh. Oh no. Oh my god these dumb kids they are are so bad at this

It's all one gigantic thing, and despite it lasting so long it's all relevant to what it's doing. Long, but focused.

MythosDragon posted:

The ending ending, you know the one after To A Glimmering Tomorrow, which btw is the best song in the series through sheer emotional investment.

Inner Twilight is in the same game and better. :colbert: Bonus points for sneaking in "Twilight" before that became a plot thing in the sub-series.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
My main complaint about CS2 is that it overstays its welcome a little bit.

Still like it though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cyouni posted:

My main complaint about CS2 is that it overstays its welcome a little bit.

Still like it though.

How though, its exactly the same length as CS1.
I've 100%ed it twice and both times they were about 95~ hours, at best 1 or 2 hours difference.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It ends several times

Now, that's forgivable because it's like the only game in the entire series with a denouement, but still

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

MythosDragon posted:

How though, its exactly the same length as CS1.
I've 100%ed it twice and both times they were about 95~ hours, at best 1 or 2 hours difference.

It's the shrines for me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah objectively it's about the same length, but it feels a lot longer because the shrine sections drag, and then it just keeps going after the climax with the Crossbell and schoolhouse segments. All of the endings are well done and feel appropriate, but having them all back to back makes it feel like "oh my god when is this game going to END?"

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cant relate, I've never played a game thinking I wanted it to just end. That sounds like a bad way to experience a story to me.
CS2 could have gone on as long as CS4 and I might have hit burnout and taken a break for a few months like I did there, but I never would have thought "When is this going to end".
Now I want a CS2 that is 50% longer...

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

MythosDragon posted:

Cant relate, I've never played a game thinking I wanted it to just end. That sounds like a bad way to experience a story to me.

This was me about halfway into every single story sequence in Arknights, and yes it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoom posted:

This was me about halfway into every single story sequence in Arknights, and yes it is.

My experience with Arknights writing is weird, because I always find the opening acts to each story interminably boring and end up skipping a lot of stuff, but get engaged/hooked later on.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I just finished the Intermission of CSII and Duvalie and Gilbert have got to be related right? Are they twins?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

hepcat posted:

I just finished the Intermission of CSII and Duvalie and Gilbert have got to be related right? Are they twins?

Gilbert is the cool twin.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

hepcat posted:

Serious answer, their similarities are mostly very superficial. (as in that they serve as comedic relief buttmonkeys in the Society) They have far more differences than similarities.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Duvalie loses to the plucky heroes because she can't match Lloyd's burning spirit or Rean's... protagonist status.

Gilbert loses to the plucky heroes because Gilbert is Gilbert.

They are not the same.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 20, 2024

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Laura notes multiple times that Duvalie is strong, competent, and dangerous; she just can't stand up to the combined might of Class VII.

Estelle calls Gilbert a pudding head.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Duvalie has a sense of justice that even the Lance Maiden respects.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Duvalie's boss keeps her around because she values and respects her, both as a subordinate and as a person.

Gilbert's boss keeps him around because his ineptitude amuses him and enjoys magically pimp slapping him around whenever his own failings cause him to screw up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It is pretty funny how much Campanella cares about keeping Gilbert around only specifically because they enjoy having someone to gently caress with.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

We need more Gilberts.
Gilbertreitter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

(Reverie ending) Final boss is a Gilbert Stein

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess the 'farewell' was literal

https://x.com/nihonfalcom/status/1793522251100463239?s=46&t=FevCpxsjIWdlja6JbbXT5g

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Glad my man Kevin is returning.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Will it really be over though? Not that it matters for us in the west, see you in 2027.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hey now, it's just farewell to Zemuria - maybe the continental barrier will be lifted.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Was it ever explained if anything actually exists outside of Zemuria?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The moon apparently

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Excited for Trails in Space

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Excited for Trails in Space

Either in Daybreak or Reverie, they mentioned low-earth orbit satellites, which did make me kinda say "how tf can you not leave the continent laterally but you can go into low orbit?!"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
3D problems in a 2D world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tesseraction posted:

Either in Daybreak or Reverie, they mentioned low-earth orbit satellites, which did make me kinda say "how tf can you not leave the continent laterally but you can go into low orbit?!"

Shorter distance up than across

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't believe Nayuta is becoming canon

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress I shouldn't watch this since I didn't play either Kuro games...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't either and that trailer means nothing me but wow cool robot

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The only thing that playing Kuro will give you is recognising some of the characters you wouldn't otherwise recognise.

Although I guess I haven't played Kuro II but best I've heard that it's a filler game made to pad out their yearly release schedule.

I did buy it, though, so maybe I'll try the patch.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Gonna spoiler tag just in case but my boy Kevin!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just really hope Van and company still get most of the focus and we don't end up with some sort of split-story thing where Rean gets 1/2 or 1/3.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FrickenMoron posted:

Was it ever explained if anything actually exists outside of Zemuria?

Another dimension full of cool dudes named things like McStatic and McFreeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
Just pulled Du Berry in the gacha.