Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it seemed like from the stock OS that they used integer scaling x2 and then put a fake GBA SP bezel around it. i wouldn't be surprised if that was still, at the end of the day, around the same size as the original SP's screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
2x integer was the tiny version. Regular is stretched 2.7x to fit, with what sounded like some kind of smoothing shader.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think Ayaneo is releasing prototype production runs in hopes some big money operation will be like "heeeeey we got this giant pile of money can you give us a sweet handheld"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rinkles posted:

2x integer was the tiny version. Regular is stretched 2.7x to fit, with what sounded like some kind of smoothing shader.
I find scaling to full width like that is fine with a shader like Grid3x or LCD3x or whatever and bilinear filtering. I like seeing the fake pixels as if it's an actual handheld screen (as long as they're even).
On other systems I just do the sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale shader and it looks perfect to me (Mega Man X's even pixel healthbar is the easy test).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyduck posted:

https://github.com/ROCKNIX/distribution/releases/tag/20240517

ROCKNIX now supports the RG-ARC!

edit: Caveat seems to be you'll have to format your Android partition on the ARC-D. Still probably worth it, gonna mess around later. Also I'll see if they fixed the boot issue on the 353P
Update: I can't get this to boot on either device. It just boots to Android each time. There's gotta be something I'm completely missing here

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

repiv posted:

ayaneo is making a fast gameboy

Pretty happy for a handheld to finally be able to play Khgathort Lh tbh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1791741540525826523

The Pocket Micro looks pretty slick, doubt I'll buy one but hey.

Same with whatever the gently caress this is.

https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1791746632775872671

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not the Messiah posted:

Pretty happy for a handheld to finally be able to play Khgathort Lh tbh

In a presentation full of high production video, including a lot paid models, that stood out

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It’s weird (read: funny and not a big deal) that there are small, clear things that are either “wrong” or done in such uniquely interesting ways. Like in the review, he calls it integer scaling when talking about 2.7 and 3.3x scaling. It’s not horrible or something that ruins the video; I just think it’s kinda funny when the whole point of integer scaling is for it to scale to a whole number, an integer.

Then the closing of the lid to record the sound was funny just because his garage (maybe?) had such a loud echo that each one sounds like it’s been bass boosted compared to what an SP normally sounds like.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not going to google Khgathort Lh. Sound dangerous, just tell me what it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not going to google Khgathort Lh. Sound dangerous, just tell me what it is.

if you're not joking, it's an ai generated image

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

here's their fancy keynote presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlG27wRv5M

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress the haters, Khgathort Lh looks fun as hell.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Overall it looks like an interesting device and a lot of these handhelds look janky, like the tiny horizontal anbernic device that looks weird and and anemic and honestly like the failed Ripley clone of another, more thoughtfully designed handheld

Touchpad seems like an interesting addition and I'm curious about the shoulder buttons.

If this ends up being the same price as an analogue pocket I would choose it over the analogue

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

shyduck posted:

Update: I can't get this to boot on either device. It just boots to Android each time. There's gotta be something I'm completely missing here
Yeah, I can't get it to install on mine either, it just boots into GammaOS. Maybe it needs to be on stock firmware for some reason?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We aren't talking about the most important thing here, which is that quickly tapping the power button swaps between dpad and analogue inputs

I want to hold out for the miyoo but this is looking better and better

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

It’s weird (read: funny and not a big deal) that there are small, clear things that are either “wrong” or done in such uniquely interesting ways. Like in the review, he calls it integer scaling when talking about 2.7 and 3.3x scaling. It’s not horrible or something that ruins the video; I just think it’s kinda funny when the whole point of integer scaling is for it to scale to a whole number, an integer.

Maybe he confused integer scaling with point scaling?

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2023/05/21/dolphin-progress-report-february-march-april-2023/#new-post-processing-shaders

This article from Dolphin goes into how much can go wrong when trying to use point scaling, especially for systems that don’t use square pixels like the NES and SNES.

Basically, you need to integer scale to above your display resolution, then downsample using something like bilinear filtering. It’s a pain to set this up if the emulator doesn’t natively support it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think by now he knows what integer scaling is, and this was just a slip of the tongue

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

flavor.flv posted:

We aren't talking about the most important thing here, which is that quickly tapping the power button swaps between dpad and analogue inputs

Yeah, that's a real handy feature that I hope the other firmware developers take note of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there any chance of new android pcsx2 versions?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

Is there any chance of new android pcsx2 versions?

There's always a chance, but I don't see someone wanting to open themselves up to the absolute psychos that hounded the aether guy, really

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's always a chance, but I don't see someone wanting to open themselves up to the absolute psychos that hounded the aether guy, really
What's the story there?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

Thanks for pointing it out. Didn't catch it.

Anbernic actually spending some efforts in stock firmware.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I am feeling like I might be in the target market for something that I can pop in my pocket to play GBA & N64 games on the bus.

I have a telephone that does emulators but does not have buttons and an emu decked up steam deck but it's like if I have my steam deck I'll play Yakuza or something yknow?

I've done some reading around and at a glance I like the look of the RG35XXH might be up my alley but actually how necessary are sticks on one of these if I'm not playing anything more recent than N64?

The flip looks rad as heck but the limited number of buttons and bad analogue input make me question it because I want to play racing games and all that.

I don't really have a budget because I can't afford one of these anyway but I'd like it to be under £100... which I think comes out to about $80 once you add tax shipping etc etc

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Anbernic just put the 35XXSP up for pre-order and that sounds right up your alley. It's GBA SP formfactor, more-or-less. So easy to pop in and out of a pocket or bag. And it should be under your recommended budget, or not far beyond it.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Zebulon posted:

Anbernic just put the 35XXSP up for pre-order and that sounds right up your alley. It's GBA SP formfactor, more-or-less. So easy to pop in and out of a pocket or bag. And it should be under your recommended budget, or not far beyond it.

Ah oops when I said flip I meant the SP. It just doesn't have enough buttons, right? Like thinking about Mario 64 you've got the directional input, the action inputs and the c-buttons for camera control. The SP only has 2 sets of inputs so wouldn't be able to pull this off great unless I'm missing something, kind of new to this whole space because I didn't see the point until Delta rocked up and opened my eyes.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
You've got all the buttons you need for N64 since it has six face buttons and two shoulder buttons (well, Z + R), while the SP has four face buttons and four shoulder buttons. It might not be the more ergonomic solution depending on the game but you can have X+Y be Up-C and Down-C while L2/R2 are Left-C and Right-C or however you want to configure it. And anything that requires or wants finer analog control ain't gonna be great.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to find my PS Vita show up. I had kind of thought that I sold it when I bought my Switch. Bigger surprise.....I found my PSP today. Could have sworn that this thing was gone. Yet....I still can't find my GBC....which I know I didn't get rid of.....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

What's the story there?

You ever looked at an emulator's github issues where people are like "this game runs bad. just optimize it you lazy devs" or "won't run well on my 2004 xeon system wtf" and whatnot? Yeah somehow that sorta stuff is way worse on Android, not just because you have people trying to play ff12 on a Nexus 4 but there's just a bigger volume of it.

quote:

AetherSX2 development is indefinitely suspended.

Due to neverending impersonating, complaints, demands, and now death threats, I'm done.

I remember there being a lot of begging for an iOS version also.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

seriously though why is it always some dipshit with a xeon

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well I found out something new today. If I search for Missile Command on Google, the very first link is to play it at the AARP???

:corsair:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

All I needed was to feel older today.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lmao owned go have a cup of apple sauce and any possibly for retirement, boomer

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

seriously though why is it always some dipshit with a xeon

its a ~server~ chip! its meant for big iron workloads! it should be easy to play a stupid game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

cmdrk posted:

its a ~server~ chip! its meant for big iron workloads! it should be easy to play a stupid game

Furthermore why doesn't my 2006 Quadro support dlss

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Always makes me laugh when this comes up because my main PC is a Xeon from 2011. I haven’t rage posted any GitHub issues though.

(I’m mostly a Mac guy and use a SteamDeck for any PC games I can’t play elsewhere)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

flavor.flv posted:

Lmao owned go have a cup of apple sauce and any possibly for retirement, boomer

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Froist posted:

Always makes me laugh when this comes up because my main PC is a Xeon from 2011. I haven’t rage posted any GitHub issues though.

(I’m mostly a Mac guy and use a SteamDeck for any PC games I can’t play elsewhere)

Sorry about your $500/mo power bill

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Got a shipping notice for the RG35XX SP from the Anbernic official site, so that's nice that they didn't wait until Wednesday to start shipping these out. Now I don't feel stupid for not ordering from Aliexpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JazzFlight posted:

Got a shipping notice for the RG35XX SP from the Anbernic official site, so that's nice that they didn't wait until Wednesday to start shipping these out. Now I don't feel stupid for not ordering from Aliexpress.

What color? I ordered a silver the minute they went up