Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Are any of the Sleepaway Camp sequels any good? I'm looking for woods or camp movies like Friday the 13th and The Burning.

2 is a blast and well worth checking out, 3 from what I remember was heavily cut and I found myself pretty bored with it, I do owe it a rewatch though since it's been a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
OK I guess I'll check them out.

Franchescanado posted:

Have you seen April Fool's Day?

I have, but I can't remember what I thought of it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
If you like films that take there time to build atmosphere to a climatic end (like the 1980 The Changeling and Curse of the Demon ) I highly recommend Ghost Stories For Christmas. These are 6 shorts made by the BBC in the 70's that didn't have much of a budget, but really deliver the creeps and at 30-45 minutes on each segment, they make for a good watch if you don't have time for a full movie.

My favorite segment is Whistle and I'll Come to You is from the MR James Novel and is available on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06WUYsI0ic .

All 6 segments are worth watching and available on YT, I believe. They also remade most of them in the 2000's and are decent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whistle And I'll Come is loving brilliant.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thinking of doing a bottle movie theme spread out over a few days.

So far I've got Splinter, Buried, Devil, Frozen (the chairlift one), Exam, Cube, Pontypool, Bug, and Fermat's Room. Some I've seen, some I haven't. Additional suggestions welcome.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

paradoxGentleman posted:

I just watched Sospiria and found it rather underwhelming.

I feel like a piece of poo poo because everyone keeps saying that it's a masterpiece of the genre and I am probably totally wrong.
Here's what I wrote about it in the Horror Movie Challenge thread:

If anoyone could illuminate me on what exactly did I miss I would be really grateful.

What's up watching-Suspiria-for-the-first-time-during-the-Halloween-challenge-buddy!

I did like it, but I can definitely see what you mean. It did not take the viewer by the hand or even explain some basic things, but it seemed to make sense in my gut. The colors and soundtrack put me in a mood where it kind of clicked, it dragged me in. My g/f walked in and out a few times, glancing at the movie occasionally and she didn't get how I could be interested in a messy, incoherent and loud mess like that. To me it just demanded attention.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I finally got around to seeing the Babadook and after reading so many great reviews, I was a little disappointed. It had a wonderfully creepy atmosphere and good pacing, but I found the monster itself so corny that it really broke the suspense for me anytime it made a noise. Enjoyable horror movie but I just didn't find it scary like many reviewers claimed.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm having trouble remembering a movie. It's an 80s flick and all I can remember is that it's about a pool where something (insects/flying fish/monsters/i don't remember) attack people when they swim in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Watrick posted:

I'm having trouble remembering a movie. It's an 80s flick and all I can remember is that it's about a pool where something (insects/flying fish/monsters/i don't remember) attack people when they swim in it.

Reminds me of that Are You Afraid of the Dark episode with the pool monsters. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

Reminds me of that Are You Afraid of the Dark episode with the pool monsters. Scared the poo poo out of me.

It stinks.... like rotten eggs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Tale of the Dead Man's Float

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Tale of the Dead Man's Float

I have a feeling if I went back and watched the series it would be a lot of fun because there's probably a ton of references that went right over my head as a kid. There's an episode about Nosferatu coming through a movie screen into the real world and when I saw it I had no idea what Nosferatu was, I just knew it was vampire and it was scaring the poo poo out of me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I have a feeling if I went back and watched the series it would be a lot of fun because there's probably a ton of references that went right over my head as a kid. There's an episode about Nosferatu coming through a movie screen into the real world and when I saw it I had no idea what Nosferatu was, I just knew it was vampire and it was scaring the poo poo out of me.

I have done this and can vouch the series has held up very well, and every episode is on Amazon Prime.

Especially the Nosferatu episode, which terrified me as a child. That is The Tale of Midnight Madness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Which one is Midnight Madness?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Which one is Midnight Madness?

I think in that one they get stuck in some sort of evil shopping mall that won't let them leave? I'm having a hard time remembering details.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The pinball episode? That was so badass.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The pinball episode? That was so badass.

Oh poo poo yea there was pinball in it but I can't even remember the context. poo poo I think I will have to throw on an episode or two this month when I don't have enough time to watch a full movie, I didn't know they were all on Amazon.

Edit: apparently Midnight Madness is the Nosferatu episode. Pinball episode isn't until Season 3.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It makes me so happy every time I watch it that Are You Afraid of the Dark is just as good now as it was when I was a kid. Show owns so hard.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hot sauce posted:

So I finally got around to seeing the Babadook and after reading so many great reviews, I was a little disappointed. It had a wonderfully creepy atmosphere and good pacing, but I found the monster itself so corny that it really broke the suspense for me anytime it made a noise. Enjoyable horror movie but I just didn't find it scary like many reviewers claimed.
what's so corny about a grief monster?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat, I just got Amazon Prime. I'm going to have to check out the Are You Afraid of the Dark series. I haven't seen them since I was young and they were on TV. I just remember John Conner's friend from Terminator 2 was in them. Or one episode. Can't remember.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat, I just got Amazon Prime. I'm going to have to check out the Are You Afraid of the Dark series. I haven't seen them since I was young and they were on TV. I just remember John Conner's friend from Terminator 2 was in them. Or one episode. Can't remember.

Guess what.

They also have Pete & Pete, Doug, aand Rocko's Modern Life, which have some pretty great Halloween episodes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Do you mean Bobby freaking Budnick?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oh I do...... I do.

edit - heh, kinda looks like a young Jerry Cantrell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1/4 of the 90s Nick redhead brigade, along with the Petes and Ferguson. Kind of ironic that Clarissa grew up to be the republican in real life.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey now! I just checked Amazon Prime and that series isn't available to stream. <:mad:>

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Most, if not all, of the Are You Afraid of the Dark? episodes are also on Youtube. I recently rewatched alot of them with my daughter, they did hold up well. My favorite episode might be 'The Tale of Laughing in the Dark'

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
When we talked about kids anthology shows in the stream, it was pretty much assumed that AYAotD ruled, and Goosebumps drooled, but I do strongly recommend R L Stein's followup series "The Nightmare Room". I think he aimed the books at a slightly older age group (like 12-14 instead of 8-10) and it shows in the quality of product. The writing is a lot better and more creative, and the production values are a little higher. I recommend checking it out.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Whatever. You're all just a bunch of halloweenies.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

The only thing I remember from The Nightmare room is the episode where Shia LaBeouf reenacts that episode of the Twilight Zone about the dummy except its about a doll he had when he was a kid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

1/4 of the 90s Nick redhead brigade, along with the Petes and Ferguson. Kind of ironic that Clarissa grew up to be the republican in real life.

The only one of those girls that didn't turn out weird was Danica McKellar.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Aside from the dog barking the theme, Goosebumps was basura.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The only one of those girls that didn't turn out weird was Danica McKellar.
What went so weird with Larisa Oleynik?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nothing I guess, other than she just left acting behind.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm having a hard time deciding whether the soundtrack to Ravenous was genius or just terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgxMPlemyLk

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 6, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

hot sauce posted:

For me, it was that loving kid. Look, I get the idea behind his character, and how he's intentionally annoying because it helps us empathise with the main character, and get her mindset. I understand all that, but christ on a loving bike, there's only so much high-pitched "MUMMYYYYY!!!!!!! MUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!!" that I can take.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 6, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding whether the soundtrack to Ravenous was genius or just terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgxMPlemyLk

What could possibly be considered terrible about it?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Oh I do...... I do.

edit - heh, kinda looks like a young Jerry Cantrell.

I remember when he was in a lovely teen metal band produced by Steve Vai.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just watched Ghostwatch for the second time. I can't get over how good it is, and it's somehow even better on repeat viewings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ghostwatch is extraordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ghostwatch has an undisputed spot at the top of the list of "movies that would've absolutely wrecked me if I'd watched them as a little girl". God drat.

• Locked thread