Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I'm sure most hangover cures are a myth, but whatever the japanese have work.

They have a whole rack of them at every convivence store, and I don't know what's in most of them, but if you have one before/while you're drinking you'll feel fine the next day unless you do something crazy.

Nothing is going to save you if you have 10+ drinks obv.

Get the one with a liver on it, thats how you know its good. There are also higher ones with a gold liver but I don't know what the difference is.

There are also tumeric based ones (ukon no chikara!!!!) but those aren't quite as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Upgrading to the gold liver package, thinking about saving up for platinum.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mozi posted:

Nonalcoholic beer is friggin great these days (try Sober Carpenter if you see it) and man I have missed out on negative life from not drinking by dint of not being crushingly hungover 2/3 of the time.

Hard to feel like I'm missing out on anything when I feel good. Of course all the weed doesn't hurt either.

The NA Stellas are real good when youre in the mood for light beer, also the stuff from Athletic I've liked. Basically yeah, NA stuff has crazy stepped up the last couple years which is awesome

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I remember my first semester of college I thought about joining a fraternity but then I realized how much I hated drinking games because the idea of someone telling me to drink made me irrationally angry. It was a weird mentality of "look motherfucker, trust me I can drink, I don't need YOU to tell me to drink"

This guy didn't get a bid, lol

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Last night about nine p.m. I was sitting on my back porch having a beer and a cigarette. I stepped inside to talk to my wife, grabbed a beer and headed back outside. I immediately noticed a puddle that had formed on my deck while I was inside. I thought it was odd, and mentioned it to my wife. She came out, looked at it and determined it (by smell) to be piss. I grabbed a flashlight and hopped on a chair to see what the deal was, as we could see that it was dripping from the roof.

It was a big pile of poo poo. (picture taken this morning for lighting purposes)

Lol I just read that entire loving thread, almost goldmine material

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Nooner posted:

Well no I didn't try to rush or pledge or swallow or whatever it is you frat boys do to join the club

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
if you drink booze a lot, you will die

if you drink booze in moderation, you will die

if you never drink booze, you will die

choose your path carefully

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

if you drink booze a lot, you will die

if you drink booze in moderation, you will die

if you never drink booze, you will die

choose your path carefully

It's as if it all depends on your personal experiences and what you want to do with your life

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's as if it all depends on your personal experiences and what you want to do with your life

yeah it worked out ok for me

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It is only through alcoholism that we can find the light of Jesus Christ, the winebringer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

yeah it worked out ok for me

it's like that children's book "Everybody dies"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it's like that children's book "Everybody dies"

i thought it was called 'everybody poops'?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

dee eight posted:

Gross, do you loving do that?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

That can't be right. I'm gonna live forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpEVzbhzQ

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Myth: I'm not trashing tonight
Truth-O-Meter: Pants On Fire!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I work construction. I am in my mid 40s. I drink 4 24 oz beers at 8% before bed just to make the pain go away.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you all want to read about a guy that could DRINK, go look up George Jones.

Applesnots posted:

I work construction. I am in my mid 40s. I drink 4 24 oz beers at 8% before bed just to make the pain go away.

A guy I used to be roommates with worked at FexEx sorting on 3rd shift. He would drink a 6 pack before going in, wash down a few pills with 2 more beers in the parking log, work a 6 hour shift, then come up and finish off a 12 pack. One day I came home from my mom's house and he was passed out in steps inside the apartment lobby.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have to climb ladders though.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The gods invented beer because I wouldn't have done poo poo if I didn't get my drink on.

-Benjamin Franklin

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Applesnots posted:

I have to climb ladders though.

Just make sure that you come all the way down to the ground if you have to pee, or this could be you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4lEqjTkFr4

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nooner posted:

The NA Stellas are real good when youre in the mood for light beer, also the stuff from Athletic I've liked. Basically yeah, NA stuff has crazy stepped up the last couple years which is awesome
Back from vacation and found this thread thanks to the monthly ad! Had a vile NA hazy IPA while out of town, which made me long for my Guinness Zeros at home.

The one thing this thread has taught me is I must have gotten lucky with AA. The worst I usually ever got were "gas station" meetings, as my sponsor called them -- ones where you just go and fill up for an hour. But my home group was awesome, and I learned a lot about myself and my drinking from going there, and was able to address my drinking effectively in therapy once I started going to AA, which I had never been able to do before.

Here's where I probably fold back into the thread consensus -- after a few years of AA, I knew I was done with it; I had learned all I could from the program, and simply needed to keep living my life according to certain principles. This mostly coincided with a move across the country, happening a year later, and to be honest I think it might have caused consternation amongst some of my old colleagues were I to say so, but I had just moved again (within the same city area) so I didn't have strong current roots.

BTL_Simulations
Jul 24, 2020
Alcohol can help you sleep at night

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

covidstomper58 posted:

The gods invented beer because I wouldn't have done poo poo if I didn't get my drink on.

-Benjamin Franklin

Didn't they find literal skeletons in his closet?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

daytime, too

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone sufficiently motivated to quit drinking will do so whether they’re in AA or not, and AA will always take the credit if you’re involved with them in any capacity. It doesn’t overtly harm everyone; they of course need at least a few useful idiots to lure in the real victims, and for those more isolated people who are particularly vulnerable to it, it frequently takes everything from them - up to and including successful suicide attempts, or the people who spend everything they have on multiple astronomically overpriced stays at quack 12-step rehabs which do nothing at all for them other than pave the way for their next stay.

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2024

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUd6qZRSi8

Good documentary here about the pervasive culture of sexual exploitation of vulnerable new AA members, what they colloquially call the "13th step"

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 20, 2024

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

re construction/workmen drinkers, there was this guy doing work on my friends mom's houseboat and the guy indicated he measured driving distance by beers drunk on the drive. The drive to the lake was a 4 beer drive, about 20 min by his estimate

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SerCypher posted:

They have a whole rack of them at every convivence store, and I don't know what's in most of them, but if you have one before/while you're drinking you'll feel fine the next day unless you do something crazy.

Get the one with a liver on it, thats how you know its good. There are also higher ones with a gold liver but I don't know what the difference is.

There are also tumeric based ones (ukon no chikara!!!!) but those aren't quite as good.

Literally the same as taking some B vitamins at that same point.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nooner posted:

😬

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Minotaurus Rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUd6qZRSi8

Good documentary here about the pervasive culture of sexual exploitation of vulnerable new AA members, what they colloquially call the "13th step"

the 13th step was supposed to be acid :mad:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SerCypher posted:

Most hangover cures don't work because they're trying to remedy the problem after you're hungover. The ones that you take before you start drinking can work because they prevent it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Assuming you didn't burn your stomach and annihilate your intestines flora in which case you are only stuck waiting for all that to heal to feel normal, the best after hangover cure is just to Get Real Sweaty!! If you can power through a simple workout you get marginally more blood crud coming out your skin and your lungs but probably more importantly, endorphins.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A hangover is pretty much a mini-withdrawal.

Hair of the dog actually works.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Worst hangover was either chinese moonshine in china or a bottle of tequila that me and my friend will chased with our friends ex husbands homemade mead. Every cell begging to die.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

zedprime posted:

Assuming you didn't burn your stomach and annihilate your intestines flora in which case you are only stuck waiting for all that to heal to feel normal, the best after hangover cure is just to Get Real Sweaty!! If you can power through a simple workout you get marginally more blood crud coming out your skin and your lungs but probably more importantly, endorphins.

sounds scientific

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just chase it with heroin.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Opiates make me itchy and nauseous, thank god

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

A hangover is pretty much a mini-withdrawal.

Hair of the dog actually works.

Sort-of. Withdrawal is a contributing factor but so is dehydration, the toxic byproducts of alcohol dehydrogenase, and whatever other weird organics were in what you drank. Hair-of-the-dog fixes the withdrawal, helps with the dehydration (temporarily), and most importantly makes you stop caring about the rest.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

daytime, too

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Sort-of. Withdrawal is a contributing factor but so is dehydration, the toxic byproducts of alcohol dehydrogenase, and whatever other weird organics were in what you drank. Hair-of-the-dog fixes the withdrawal, helps with the dehydration (temporarily), and most importantly makes you stop caring about the rest.

you'll get the trots.