Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
my brain randomly remembered hearing an urban legend, specifically about Jaegermeister, which purports something to the effect that "real" Jaegermeister is mixed with deer's blood and this speeds up the rate at which the alcohol is deposited into the blood stream.

I'm not even going to look that up to debunk it but it's very clearly bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
liqour before beer never been sicker

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I heard this story only once, despite having grown up in a bar - just googled it and going to copy and paste it here.

quote:

The legend that dead rats provide Guinness its flavor is pure myth, although songs like the Dropkick Murphys' "Good Rats" do little to dispel it. The story goes something like this: Early Guinness brews didn't taste good until some dead rats were found in a barrel that, apparently, contained better-tasting Guinness. The subsequent success led Guinness to fortify the beer with rat bones. This ludicrous story is predicated on a fallacy (early brews were extremely successful), a fact that, by itself, invalidates the tale.

In truth, the unique flavor comes from the perfect recipe of roasted & malted barley, hops, yeast and water — water from the Wicklow Mountains and not, according to another myth, from the River Liffey.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Absinthe makes you hallucinate. It's just an alcohol. Anything hallucinogenic is because it's tainted with poo poo. The closest is a chemical in wormwood (an ingredient in Absinthe) that is a convulsant in high doses. Like really high. An entire plant amount.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The number of days you drink on a multi day bender you will need to calculate days of recovery * 1.25 if you are over 45!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I'm way better at evading the police in a high speed chase drunk than I am sober

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This one is true and has led to guys i know failing swabs:

Your body will process alcohol first before other substances. So if you think youre going to get on the gear friday night and be sweet by Monday, consider your booze intake.

It can double the elimination time of popular club drugs.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 7, 2024

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Poohs Packin posted:

This one is true and has led to guys i know failing swabs ot:

Your body will process alcohol first before other substances. So if you think youre going to get on the gear friday night and be sweet by Monday, consider your booze intake.

Reminds me of the alcohol truth that ethyl alcohol can be used to counteract methyl and glycol alcohol poisoning.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

syntaxfunction posted:

Absinthe makes you hallucinate. It's just an alcohol. Anything hallucinogenic is because it's tainted with poo poo. The closest is a chemical in wormwood (an ingredient in Absinthe) that is a convulsant in high doses. Like really high. An entire plant amount.

It only works if you buttchug it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
A young woman once told me that if you want to beat a breathalyser - suck on a copper coin first. I don't think that works.

I was in a hospital when I was 16. One patient had smuggled alcohol in. Another few noticed she was drunk and tried to cover for her. They found an empty bottle that stank of spirits. They washed it out with milky tea to get rid of the smell - it worked.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Reminds me of the alcohol truth that ethyl alcohol can be used to counteract methyl and glycol alcohol poisoning.

Theyve taken the metho out of "methylated" spirits in Australia. Its like 70% ethyl with fragrance, bitterents and an emetic I think.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You cannot beat a breathalyzer, full stop.

ETGs being super-long-term is generally bullshit unless your liver is failing or you're drinking handles of vodka, though, and the 100+ hour detection time quoted is designed to scare you into complying with probation.

Also alcohol elimination is a linear equation that can be accurately calculated, and there is nothing you can do to change your BAC outside actually changing the water volume of your blood.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Valko posted:

A young woman once told me that if you want to beat a breathalyser - suck on a copper coin first. I don't think that works.

I was in a hospital when I was 16. One patient had smuggled alcohol in. Another few noticed she was drunk and tried to cover for her. They found an empty bottle that stank of spirits. They washed it out with milky tea to get rid of the smell - it worked.

Mythbusters tried a bunch of those, turns out it's really easy to make it read higher, but you can't make it read lower.

That fact got me out of trouble when I showed up drunk to duty in the Navy, since they'd pop if you just brushed your teeth, so I said that's why I blew hot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BasicLich posted:

my brain randomly remembered hearing an urban legend, specifically about Jaegermeister, which purports something to the effect that "real" Jaegermeister is mixed with deer's blood and this speeds up the rate at which the alcohol is deposited into the blood stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUghcCwHvAw&t=365s

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've seen energy drinks cause false positives on breathalyzers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I've seen energy drinks cause false positives on breathalyzers.

breathalyzing within minutes of eating fresh bread will 100% of the time give a false positive (not really a "false" positive, but not an actual BAC either)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

breathalyzing within minutes of eating fresh bread will 100% of the time give a false positive (not really a "false" positive, but not an actual BAC either)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:sigh: the other one was better

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Poohs Packin posted:

This one is true and has led to guys i know failing swabs:

Your body will also process alcohol before doing a ton of other completely normal things your body needs to do.

It's like a #1 priority for the body to get rid of.

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica

BasicLich posted:

So much less cool than the real story. Some hunters were out near Düsseldorf and the worst thing that can happen on a hunt happened: they ran out of booze. Thankfully, Jesus Christ himself appeared and taught them how to male a potent liquor from various herbs and plants nearby. So on the bottle you have the stag they were hunting and Jesus.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I worked in the liquor industry for ages and Christ there are so loving many.

Sulfites from wine are not giving you a headache or loving you up. Additionally, red wine typically has LESS sulfites. That white wine you bought because "it doesn't give you a headache" is literally worse in that regard; it doesn't matter anyway because your headaches aren't caused by that. Drink loving water, stop drinking so much, headache problem solved because at the end of the day what is giving you a headache is the fact that you're drinking literal poison you dumbass.

This goes into another load of bullshit, there is nothing about "brown liquor" or tequila that makes you get drunk faster than like, drinking a vodka and coke. The only reason why those things get you "drunker" is your conditioned social response to it. People who buy wine typically don't get as sloshed on white wine because the cultural circumstances surrounding white wine is that it's some refreshing poo poo you sip while enjoying the sun or eating some fish it pairs with, versus people getting blasted sucking down red blends at a function. The same goes for tequila, the reason tequila gets you so hosed up is because when someone says "TEQUILA SHOTS!!!" you go "Oh it's time to get wasted." It has nothing to do with the tequila, tequila is loving usually just 40% ABV - the exact same as most generic vodka or bourbon or gin or whatever the gently caress - that is literally the only meaningful, concrete factor when it comes to how drunk something gets you.

Not all IPAs taste the same and if you genuinely think that you are dumb as poo poo, the weird pretentious "anti" elitist attitudes surrounding that kind of stuff reminds me of when people get mad about hipsters or vegans or something - there is nothing wrong with IPAs, they are a kind of beer, you can gently caress it up like you can any other kind of beer. Don't like, it don't drink it, don't make up dumbass grievances just because you don't like the image of some imaginary beer guy being picky about his IPAs. The one thing you CAN say about IPAs is that the market is oversaturated with them, but at some point the market was probably oversaturated with whatever your favorite bullshit is. The liquor industry subsists off of trends, just like food, one day the alcoholic seltzers will lose popularity and some other horse crap will fill up the shelves - but IPAs generally remain eternal in the same way your basic piss-beer like Budweiser does, because they're the actual natural flavors of those ingredients and like it or not, it's easier to get complex flavors out of those ingredients than adding flavored poo poo to beer, for the same reason why a homemade brownie is probably going to taste better than that poo poo that's been sitting in Acme for a week.

Alcohol tolerance is massively misunderstood. If someone is the same height/weight/sex/state of health as you, and you both drink a bunch and they seem to be holding their liquor better because they have more "tolerance," that's not what's happening, you both are going to have the same blood alcohol level, they're just better at dealing with the side effects of being inebriated. You can learn how to walk better when you're drunk, you can learn how to be semi-"functional" when you're drunk. The physical and mental adaptation is your nervous system getting used to being in that state, but it's still loving your poo poo up just as bad as someone who doesn't drink as much. In fact, you're probably going to end up worse at some point because this adaptation makes you less capable of realizing you're reaching a state where you're going to suffer from severe alcohol poisoning.

Drinking brandy or some poo poo isn't going to warm you up, alcohol literally cools your body temperature because your blood vessels dilate.

The order you drink poo poo in is meaningless, the only reason you'd want to drink beer before liquor or vice versa is because you have, again, socially conditioned yourself into drinking harder depending on how you've habitualized your drinking.

There's a bunch of other annoying poo poo I had to deal with, like people who would talk poo poo on sweet alcohol or women drinking mixed drinks but then would come in and buy bourbon like that isn't sweet as poo poo compared to other types of whisky you can get like a peaty scotch or a proper gin.
People who only buy bottles because beers in cans "taste metallic" like it's still 1968 and you only have un-lined tin cans to drink out of - that can of beer has less exposure to light and air than a bottle which never has a perfect seal because there is lining in them that prevents contact with the metal. If you DON'T want your beer's flavor to be adulterated by natural circumstances, then getting a can is actually the far better option. There's more than one reason bottles rapidly fell out of favor in the past few decades, and the fact that they're actually an extremely poo poo medium for transporting something sensitive to light, temperature, and air is one of the bigger ones.

People have all kinds of bizarre ideas about alcohol, but at its heart, it's a very simple loving thing, it's sugars, water and ethyl alcohol - those are the most substantial ingredients in any kind of alcohol by a large margin, even if it's low ABV - unless it's something pre-mixed. You can coax all kinds of flavors, textures, and etc. by manipulating the ingredients you use to GET to that point, but once you're there, there's very little complexity to its composition that is going to make them meaningfully different in how they interact with your body - how much you consume and how regularly you consume is going to decide how you're going to feel the next day.

It's the same poo poo as food really, like when people act like ketosis makes your body "burn fat instead of carbs" but they don't know what the loving difference between dietary fat you eat and the fat that actually exists on your body is.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 7, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lets all admit it: craft beer is poo poo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

PBR, otherwise known as watered down ginger ale mixed with dirty water from a collapsing well.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Yeah maybe cookie sandwiches taste better than broccoli but vegetables are actually healthy and good for you and help you not to die unlike beer which is just carbs and poison so nice argument I guess ????

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Valko posted:

I heard this story only once, despite having grown up in a bar - just googled it and going to copy and paste it here.

The urban legend here is that any variant of Guinness tastes good.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

IPA urban legend: IPAs are so prevalent in the USA because it's easier for small craft breweries to get a consistent flavor

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
myth: drinking is cool

in fact drinking fuckin sucks and weed is way better

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

snergle posted:

liqour before beer never been sicker

No, it is beer before liquor, never been sicker/liquor before beer, all is clear. This has always worked for me and you can tell it is true because it rhymes.

There were all kinds of legends among my friends about herbal liqueurs like Benedictine and Jagermeister when I was a wee lad. A friend swore that he hallucinated from drinking Chartreuse but that was probably just from going to a hippie school and doing a lot of acid.

I was well into middle age until I realized that the "hair of the dog that bit ya" technique that all of the guys I worked with in New Orleans swore by was just describing the effects of hardcore alcoholism.

Not alcohol-related, but my junkie goth friends in the 90s swore that the artificial smoke that nightclubs spray was full of mysterious drugs.

RapturesoftheDeep fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

myth: irish ppl are drunks

reality: they love meth

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there was a detective named darrel debusk like 15-20 years ago who got fired for butchugging on the job or something. i'm piecing this together from real deep lore so i might be wro ng about everything.

anyway, buttchugging is a-ok imo

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Junk posted:

myth: drinking is cool

in fact drinking fuckin sucks and weed is way better

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I had a chocolate stout once it was super tasty and was like drinking an alcoholic milkshake in texture. Really good, recommend.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

syntaxfunction posted:

I had a chocolate stout once it was super tasty and was like drinking an alcoholic milkshake in texture. Really good, recommend.

is this a lie bc the thread title makes me assume i shouldnt trust posts in here to be real

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

syntaxfunction posted:

some brewery here did a chocolate milk stout a while back and I loved it because those are my two favorite types of stout

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I also really like goses and sours especially if they've got nice citrus or other fruit tastes. Love me a little sweet n sour beer.

Oh, I also had a cereal milk stout, I didn't think it'd be good at all but it was really nice. Love a good creamy stout, especially the nitro ones which I thought was a total gimmick but it really does help with the texture (MOUTHFEEL).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i like fruit beer, marble put out a cherry limeade lager for this summer and it is delicious

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

alcohol is haram, i forgot to mention that

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Buce posted:

there was a detective named darrel debusk like 15-20 years ago who got fired for butchugging on the job or something. i'm piecing this together from real deep lore so i might be wro ng about everything.

anyway, buttchugging is a-ok imo

reminds me of a story, i've heard that when you consume liquor it degrades your esophagus to the degree that you may start aspirating (breathing in that hard liquor, a very dangerous thing)

so there was an alcoholic who decided to switch from drinking to the butt-chug and this was an immediate problem, because there is a vast difference between the intestines and the stomach in terms of soft tissue confabulations that allow for easy transmission of stuff to the blood stream

this man's wife assisted him in a buttchug and the guy did not make it. RIP

edit:

Worf posted:

is this a lie bc the thread title makes me assume i shouldnt trust posts in here to be real

that's the fun thing about myths and urban legends, some of them are true

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 7, 2024

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica
I love wine because I imagine the feet stomping the grapes. I know that isn't really done anymore but it makes the drinking feel that much sexier so allow me my myths.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you take a $200 bottle of whiskey and just evaporate all the ethanol and water, you are left with an extremely valuable freebase

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Devils Affricate posted:

If you take a $200 bottle of whiskey and just evaporate all the ethanol and water, you are left with an extremely valuable freebase

love 2 freebase air a substance that does not naturally contain significant H+

syntaxfunction posted:

absinthe fucks you up because it is 100+ proof alcohol full of botanical oils and fats/waxes, same way that going OH MAN THIS RUMPLE MINZE IS SO GOOD ITS JUST SUGAR AND PEPPERMINT I BETTER KEEP DRINKING IT happens

I told a buddy of mine to under no circumstances drink ouzo straight without crashing it with ice and cold water at a party my brother and I threw, he then proceeded to drink a half a fifth of ouzo straight because he thought it was delicious

my couch was left with a fat guy sweat stain by the time he left at 5PM the next day after a full day of misery

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

true legend: i pissed myself in berlin after heavy drinking but then got into berghain fine despite literally being a urine soaked husky nerd