Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Not a Step posted:

Uh... her health care plan basically amounted to 'Defend Obamacare' and 'Maybe ask if the states want to try out Single Payer? Maybe?'
and I remember her dumb college plan because it was hilariously unfunded except for some nebulous tax on trades or something.

well obamacare picked a great moment to start falling apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Main Paineframe posted:

I never thought I'd see the day when the left was complaining that the Democrats weren't throwing black people under the bus hard enough to appeal to white voters

Trump didn't just break the Democratic Party, he broke the left. Bernie pulled things tightly enough to expose the fault line between white kids worried about their economic prospects and black people worried about literally being gunned down in the loving street, and then Trump put yuuuuuge pressure on that line till it broke, so now the white "progressive" left is railing against minorities who dare to request that maybe agents of the state could stop murdering them for absolutely no reason at all

:yikes:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Dear black Americans, please find us the reincarnation of Malcom X

tia

Uh if we're reincarnating people can I request Huey Long?

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I never thought I'd see the day when the left was complaining that the Democrats weren't throwing black people under the bus hard enough to appeal to white voters

Trump didn't just break the Democratic Party, he broke the left. Bernie pulled things tightly enough to expose the fault line between white kids worried about their economic prospects and black people worried about literally being gunned down in the loving street, and then Trump put yuuuuuge pressure on that line till it broke, so now the white "progressive" left is railing against minorities who dare to request that maybe agents of the state could stop murdering them for absolutely no reason at all

Believing that white voter blocs and black voter blocs can never find common ground ideologically sounds pretty racist to me

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Panzeh posted:

I think Bernie Sanders had a message that appealed to the rust belt white people as well as BLM folks and I don't think anyone would really have been thrown under the bus except Hillary but it looks like that happened anyway.

It's not like there was some mythological alternative- the DNC had one, they said no.

What really blows my mind is that Sanders did more than just pack rallies. He raised more than 200 million in funds. He revealed a completely alternative approach to running a national campaign which could have freed the DNC from some of it's sickening dependence on money from corporate interests.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Humidora posted:

Believing that white voter blocs and black voter blocs can never find common ground ideologically sounds pretty racist to me

History seems pretty racist to me too.

Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey quick without checking name one policy Hillary had if you can

the only one I can think of is her stupid college plan because I ripped into it during the Bernie thread

Did she keep the '10 hours of work per week for every student' thing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Helsing posted:

What really blows my mind is that Sanders did more than just pack rallies. He raised more than 200 million in funds. He revealed a completely alternative approach to running a national campaign which could have freed the DNC from some of it's sickening dependence on money from corporate interests.

and then we nominated hillary clinton :suicide:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
economist had a good chart here

trump did worse with whites and Republicans than Romney. but he won due to racism you see.

I'd honestly like to see a breakdown of wi/mi/pa by percentage of households that are union and went trump, that could be the entire election

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and then we nominated hillary clinton :suicide:

Remember how Hill Bullies argued Hillary deserved unquestioning support since she was the best option to defeat Trump.

Instead she faceplanted.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well obamacare picked a great moment to start falling apart

Yeah. I think that was a nail in the coffin for Clinton. She defended Obamacare so hard against *any* alternative, but Obamacare is a piece of poo poo for a *lot* of people because of its premiums and sky high deductibles. When things started unraveling even more and Hillary's stance remained DEFEND IT ALL COSTS a lot of poor rural America probably felt she didnt give a poo poo about their day to day lives.

AND YES, I KNOW. I KNOW OBAMACARE WAS GREAT FOR SOME PEOPLE! But for a lot of others its a mandatory $200-$500 a month bill that provides garbage insurance that doesn't even kick in until you're $10,000 out of pocket, which is bankruptcy territory anyways. For many people, Obamacare provides no defense against losing everything but still consumes a massive chunk of a family's monthly income for no benefit.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Helsing posted:

Jeb had 150m in December. Bernie raised a lot of money - but it's not a sustainable method for a party that has dozens of candidates on the ballot every 2 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Yeah. I think that was a nail in the coffin for Clinton. She defended Obamacare so hard against *any* alternative, but Obamacare is a piece of poo poo for a *lot* of people because of its premiums and sky high deductibles. When things started unraveling even more and Hillary's stance remained DEFEND IT ALL COSTS a lot of poor rural America probably felt she didnt give a poo poo about their day to day lives.

AND YES, I KNOW. I KNOW OBAMACARE WAS GREAT FOR SOME PEOPLE! But for a lot of others its a mandatory $200-$500 a month bill that provides garbage insurance that doesn't even kick in until you're $10,000 out of pocket, which is bankruptcy territory anyways. For many people, Obamacare provides no defense against losing everything but still consumes a massive chunk of a family's monthly income for no benefit.

She also went after Bernie for daring to support single payer.

Obamacare will fail since it depended on the medical insurance and big pharma industry not being profit grabbing dicks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TyrantWD posted:

Jeb had 150m in December. Bernie raised a lot of money - but it's not a sustainable method for a party that has dozens of candidates on the ballot every 2 years.

i mean he was running on getting money out of politics, and some other stuff.

so if he got his big ticket item done, it wouldn't have mattered.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

speaking of monies

$500 million down the toilet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Unlike Christians, Marxists don't have a canonical text which is considered inerrant & divine. Marxism is a self-critiquing dialectical process which evaluates the failures and successes of existing analysis, and advances new analysis to help realize a revolutionary agenda. If you seriously think 21st century Marxists can't anticipate people choosing a "false consciousness" then you're pig ignorant. Marxists who view foundational texts as dogma are cultists, not serious.

We told you over and over again that you can't ignore the material and class dimensions of the election, and you still insist that rural folk chose pride over substance. When we all know that the Clinton campaign offered absolutely nothing of substance for economic abandonment zones which weren't politically exploitable like West Virginia coal country.

I'm not gonna bother getting into another slapfight over Marxism's omniptence with you because it will be neither interesting nor productive

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Not a Step posted:

I'm the perfect example of the pros and cons of Obamacare, I'd think. Didn't have to get insurance until I was 26, but when it did, it was just premiums I could barely afford as the insurance I got panicked from red state policies and left the market at the end of this year, hiking my costs along the way.

The framing of "America is fine" was the worst decision the DNC could make, and it cost them the election.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Not a Step posted:

to be fair she did say she wanted the public option

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Typo posted:

to be fair she did say she wanted the public option

yeah, after she was """"""pressured"""""" from the """"""left""""""

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

etalian posted:

Remember how Hill Bullies argued Hillary deserved unquestioning support since she was the best option to defeat Trump.

Instead she faceplanted.

You're right, next time the GOP nominates a fascist we should undercut the Dem nominee at every turn and see if that works better.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

her secret speeches also said she wanted UHV :agesilaus:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

economist had a good chart here

trump did worse with whites and Republicans than Romney. but he won due to racism you see.

I'd honestly like to see a breakdown of wi/mi/pa by percentage of households that are union and went trump, that could be the entire election

Holy poo poo these stats.

Whites actually had lower turnout for Trump than Romney, but minorities had *higher* turnout for Trump than Romney.

Goddamn those racist whites!

Also loving lol this was Hillary's election to lose. If she could have gotten Obama level turnout this would have been an absolute blow out. Instead she was complete dogshit and handed the country to Trump.

The only demographics where Hillary outperformed Obama are olds, riches, and college educated +.
How the poo poo did Hillary acquire a reputation for being an out of touch elitist!?!?!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

You're right, next time the GOP nominates a fascist we should undercut the Dem nominee at every turn and see if that works better.

maybe next time we won't nominate the worst presidential candidate in american history

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PerniciousKnid posted:

bernie absolutely should have undercut her more because the american people were definitely not tired of her "drat emails" and it's way way better for this poo poo to come out during the primaries than the GE

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

LOL at this guy who doesn't think the GOP nominates a fascist every single time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So she caught hell from the left for not being left enough, she shifted left and basically adopted all Bernie's policies, and she still got criticized just as much. This is why Bernie supporters are dumb and worthless.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PerniciousKnid posted:

So she caught hell from the left for not being left enough, she shifted left and basically adopted all Bernie's policies, and she still got criticized just as much. This is why Bernie supporters are dumb and worthless.

no it's because the electorate wanted someone "authentic" not someone who triangulates and come across as very very insincere

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

This line did well for you last night, I'm glad you're sticking with it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PerniciousKnid posted:

By "adopt" you mean she put them on her website and then never really mentioned them again in her public appearances.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

maybe next time we won't nominate the worst presidential candidate in american history

No apparently that's how you win elections now.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

big juicy nectarine posted:

LOL at this guy who doesn't think the GOP nominates a fascist every single time.

McCain, Romney were not fascists

and neither is trump tbh

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

maybe not nominate a bad candidate that loses to a cheese flavoured racist. If crazy orange man is yelling "poo poo's hosed" saying "well maybe its not as hosed and furthermore you are a terrible person for thinking it is" might not be the greatest plan

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

These salt levels... theyre incredible!

What does the scouter say?

ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND!

WHAT NINE THOUSAND!?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Panzeh posted:

By "adopt" you mean she put them on her website and then never really mentioned them again in her public appearances.

lol also that

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Holy poo poo these stats.

Whites actually had lower turnout for Trump than Romney, but minorities had *higher* turnout for Trump than Romney.

Goddamn those racist whites!

Also loving lol this was Hillary's election to lose. If she could have gotten Obama level turnout this would have been an absolute blow out. Instead she was complete dogshit and handed the country to Trump.

The only demographics where Hillary outperformed Obama are olds, riches, and college educated +.
How the poo poo did Hillary acquire a reputation for being an out of touch elitist!?!?!

If black voters dropped off enough, and it certainly sounds like they did, then the minority % pickup is not a pickup, it's just a smaller pool of voters making the % meaningless.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Typo posted:

no it's because the electorate wanted someone "authentic" not someone who triangulates and come across as very very insincere

Absolutely correct. Compromise is dead and American democracy will die with it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

hillary lost buddy

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, Trump can't be the worst Presidential candidate of all time.

Because he beat Hillary.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

as a slowly reforming junky the "america is great already" line being garbage is a good point

still salty that we have to pander instead of just, you know, supporting better policy positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

maybe not nominating a cold pants suit wearing technocrat would help.

• Locked thread