Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mister Macys posted:

AVS Forums' free calibration disc, Avia Guide to Home Theater, or THX-Certified DVD/Blu-Ray movies, which will contain an optimization "guide". There's also model-specific threads on AVSForums.

And if all else fails, Google is your friend. I tried the settings someone posted online for my own TV (I only use them for film), and it seems fine to me so far.

Yeah, sadly there doesn't seem to be a lot of (reputable) settings in the wild for the LM6400. I took the AVS forum disc and playing it through DLNA... Ended up staying pretty close to the defaults in terms of contrast/brightness/sharpness/etc, the only and best change I stumbled on for image quality is lowering local LED dimming. With that on the default (High), it murders the white levels in any dark scene. It's these settings I'd rather be able to calibrate, but for now I basically just turned off "Auto" anything (Auto Colour, Auto Contrast, etc.) and it's tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If it helps, places online that I've seen typically give the following, regardless of display:
- Drop Sharpness all the way
- Raise Contrast almost all the way (~75-95%)
- Raise/Lower Brightness according to whatever the game/DVD/Forum recommends (I go slightly higher, as I typically have a light on all the time)

The only auto setting I trust on my TV is "Auto-shutoff". Best to just set it and forget it in my opinion.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well after seeing the TV I was eyeing suddenly shoot up to 1100 dollars from 700, I've decided to go with my second choice,

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E470i-A...d=IXZRKL8V8ZZ1X

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this particular set before I buy it? I own a much older Vizio 32" from 2007 right now so this would be a substantial upgrade for me.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 30, 2013

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*

LorneReams posted:

I'm in this boat...currently waffling between this and the Sony KDL w900a. The Samsung looks awesome, but the Sony outlet people are willing to go much cheaper and throw in a bunch of perks (free shipping and installation, free warranty, etc.). I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for a week now.

If it's any help to you, after seeing both models during an in-store demo I saw virtually no difference at all.
I ended up buying the UN65F8000BF off Amazon because I enjoy the design a little more than the Sony
They're both excellent TVs

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'll post this question in haus of tech support if it can't be answered here, but I've got a weird, esoteric issue with my lovely TV.

I tend to use my TV like a 2nd monitor for my computer. It's at the foot of my bed connected via a DVI-HDMI cable and usually I'll put videos or games on so I can watch and play comfortably.

But the problem is, my TV is mega poo poo. I've got quite a lot of money troubles at the moment, and I needed a new TV so I just bought some lovely $400 thing at a local retailer here in Australia. It's an AWA, which I think is just some generic chinese brand. There's overscan issues, the pictures is noisy and blurry as all heck, and regardless of what refresh rate I set it to or if V-sync is enabled, there's always a buttload of screen tearing. The problem persists with a regular HDMI cord.

But, oddly enough, apparently I was wrong, my TV ISN'T as bad as I thought. Apparently windows isn't recognising the TV correctly and is assigning an incorrect driver/settings (it thinks the native resolution is 720p, it's 1080p), throwing off the pixel ratio and loving up the picture. I decided to grab an old VGA cord and see if going straight up analogue might fix it, and it was a gigantic improvement. A clean, crisp picture, and slightly improved colour/contrast (colour reproduction and gamma levels are still poo poo though). But on the other hand, if I set the resolution to 1080p there's phase issues with the pixels, it looks almost like a printer with its heads out of alignment. There don't appear to be any settings on the TV that fix it. I guess it's just a lovely VGA port on the TV.

Windows recognises the TV as a Mitac MTC26T42 if that helps at all. If I can fix the overscan stuff I think it might fix the picture, I just need a perfect 1:1 pixel ratio.

I found this thread http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85023 which describes my issue perfectly. There's a couple images close up that show how it looks and how it should look:
http://i.imgur.com/cWZ1w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ESuFT.jpg

Apparently disabling DVI audio in the video card settings is supposed to fix it, but it did nothing for me.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 30, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Annoying problem:

I have a Samsung LN55B650T1F 55" TV. Me and my gf moved into a place that has this really neat built in entertainment center that is literally everything I ever wanted in A/V setup furniture, but the "TV hole" is too loving small :mad:

The Samsung is old, like maybe 5-7 years old, and had its power board replaced because it fried. It works great though.

I want to sell it on Craigslist and buy a new Samsung (or whatever) TV to replace it that fits in the entertainment center "TV hole" which should be ANYTHING smaller than 55", but probably 46"? I think we're about 6-8' from the TV.

Question one: Good quality relatively inexpensive LCD TV? Preferably with a not very noticeable bezel or anything too crazy looking. This isn't the case anymore but the Samsung I have has this terrible huge plastic rim.

Question two: Selling my TV. Craigslist? What can I get for a used TV like that? Benefits of it are its huge and has all sorts of handy connections. Drawbacks are its probably heavier than 55" tvs today.

I was thinking of offering a "trade-down" where I'll trade it for a good used 46" that's much more modern, would someone bite?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are you renting or buying the place? It would probably be easy to make the hole bigger if you own it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cat doter posted:

But, oddly enough, apparently I was wrong, my TV ISN'T as bad as I thought. Apparently windows isn't recognising the TV correctly and is assigning an incorrect driver/settings (it thinks the native resolution is 720p, it's 1080p), throwing off the pixel ratio and loving up the picture. I decided to grab an old VGA cord and see if going straight up analogue might fix it, and it was a gigantic improvement. A clean, crisp picture, and slightly improved colour/contrast (colour reproduction and gamma levels are still poo poo though). But on the other hand, if I set the resolution to 1080p there's phase issues with the pixels, it looks almost like a printer with its heads out of alignment. There don't appear to be any settings on the TV that fix it. I guess it's just a lovely VGA port on the TV.

Windows recognises the TV as a Mitac MTC26T42 if that helps at all. If I can fix the overscan stuff I think it might fix the picture, I just need a perfect 1:1 pixel ratio.

I found this thread http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85023 which describes my issue perfectly. There's a couple images close up that show how it looks and how it should look:
http://i.imgur.com/cWZ1w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ESuFT.jpg

Doctor rear end in a top hat from the last page mentions the chroma sub-sampling thing which is a likely cause:
"Doctor rear end in a top hat" posted:
Be careful using a TV as a computer monitor as it might have 4:2:0 chroma subsampling instead of 4:4:4 which may or may not make certain things (text especially) look blurred. This might not be an issue with current models. Here's a bunch of nerd poo poo about it. If you're just using it for games/video it won't matter.

Not an Anthem posted:

Question one: Good quality relatively inexpensive LCD TV? Preferably with a not very noticeable bezel or anything too crazy looking. This isn't the case anymore but the Samsung I have has this terrible huge plastic rim.

Question two: Selling my TV. Craigslist? What can I get for a used TV like that? Benefits of it are its huge and has all sorts of handy connections. Drawbacks are its probably heavier than 55" tvs today.
I was thinking of offering a "trade-down" where I'll trade it for a good used 46" that's much more modern, would someone bite?

1.) Vizio's M471i-A2 has the thinnest bezel for the price ($700 on Amazon). It's only a quarter-inch according to reviews. The space saved there might let you fit a 50" too.

2.) I'd start at $10-12 per inch, and see if anyone bites.
2a.) Doubtful, but it can't hurt.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 30, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Doctor rear end in a top hat from the last page mentions the chroma sub-sampling thing which is a likely cause:
"Doctor rear end in a top hat" posted:
Be careful using a TV as a computer monitor as it might have 4:2:0 chroma subsampling instead of 4:4:4 which may or may not make certain things (text especially) look blurred. This might not be an issue with current models. Here's a bunch of nerd poo poo about it. If you're just using it for games/video it won't matter.

I've noticed even when playing games it's pretty blurry, which could be since I'm playing them on the PC specifically and at quite high resolutions. If chroma subsampling is the issue, is that why VGA looks a lot better, since it's analogue? Btw, I refreshed the driver while plugged in through VGA and it cleared up the pixel issue, now it's nice and clear at 1080p and quite a huge improvement over using HDMI.

Would chroma subsampling cause the weird overscan/screen tearing stuff? None of that stuff happens plugged in through VGA.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The TV might do 4:4:4 and switch automatically on VGA input because it knows that it's coming from a computer. The blurriness is coming from your display running 720p when it has physical pixels for 1080p. Your connector tangle from the computer probably breaks the EDID signal so the display computer doesn't know what to do and assumes the worst.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 30, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
It's a size thing and I'm renting, it would look super weird if I didn't jump down to 46 or whatever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

What are the measurements of your hole?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

At least buy him dinner first, drat.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

50.75" x 37"

A picture would help.

Too big. The TV is actually sitting proud of the TV hole, and the unit looks nice. Prev tenant had a 46 I think.

We're still unpacking, records go on the bottom, left is a pull out turntable drawer, middle hides modems/routers/boxes, right is stereo amp

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

That's almost a fit. No reason to go down to 46" when you could fit a 50", or possibly another 55". A 55" panel is ~48" across so one with a minimal bezel could fit. I ran a simulation of your hole and TV. Top is 55" with a 1" bezel, middle is 50" with a >3" bezel and bottom is 46" with a 2" bezel.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

The TV might do 4:4:4 and switch automatically on VGA input because it knows that it's coming from a computer. The blurriness is coming from your display running 720p when it has physical pixels for 1080p. Your connector tangle from the computer probably breaks the EDID signal so the display computer doesn't know what to do and assumes the worst.

Can you elaborate what you mean by this? Some of it is going over my head.

Even though I got VGA to work ok the picture keeps going crazy, it appears it doesn't like doing 1080p over VGA. I found some program called Monitor info that lets you screw with the monitor drivers, but I have no idea what I need to do to fix the problem.

Do you have any ideas how I can go about fixing it? Looking over this monitor info program it's reporting that the TV is something completely different, nothing in the driver details is correct, not even the size of the TV.

Something hilarious is that if you google the model number windows is reporting it as (Mitac MTC26T42) you get a ton of people complaining about my exact problem, either there's something dodgy going on in windows or some manufacturer is signing the device with some generic information that isn't even correct. The number of "1080p is horribly blurry and overscans like heck!" links I've found is hilarious.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 31, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Any digital display is going to look wrong when connected to an analog source (your VGA cable). Normally a display sends EDID to your computer, which is how it knows what resolution to output. It might just be the TV, since doing a Google search for "MTC26T42" shows a lot of people with your same problem.

These guys know a lot more than me, so check out this thread. I didn't get too far before my eyes glazed over, but it looks like there's a problem with the TV not reporting the resolution properly? There's some stuff about EDID overrides and other poo poo I have no idea how to do.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038336588 specifically this post.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Any digital display is going to look wrong when connected to an analog source (your VGA cable). Normally a display sends EDID to your computer, which is how it knows what resolution to output. It might just be the TV, since doing a Google search for "MTC26T42" shows a lot of people with your same problem.

These guys know a lot more than me, so check out this thread. I didn't get too far before my eyes glazed over, but it looks like there's a problem with the TV not reporting the resolution properly? There's some stuff about EDID overrides and other poo poo I have no idea how to do.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038336588 specifically this post.

Well that makes sense, the EDID must be completely wrong then. I found some program called Pheonix EDID designer which lets you extract EDIDs and modify them, but the hilarious thing here is that out of the 4 EDIDs on my computer, I can't extract the one for my TV because it gives an invalid EDID error. Great. I think there might be nothing I can do except return the TV and get my money back, and I DON'T HAVE THE RECEIPT AGGHHH.

Oh and when I mean the TV's picture fucks up when set to 1080p over the VGA cable, I mean it goes completely nuts and it starts flickering with lines everywhere and looks completely crazy. I pulled out the cable and the problem persisted until I turned the TV off and on, which was weird. Funny thing is, over VGA the picture just looks way, way better. If it weren't for the inherent flaws with VGA it'd be close to perfect.

I've also found a resolution that doesn't overscan with the DVI-HDMI cable. It's 1024x768! Woo!

cat doter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

That's almost a fit. No reason to go down to 46" when you could fit a 50", or possibly another 55". A 55" panel is ~48" across so one with a minimal bezel could fit. I ran a simulation of your hole and TV. Top is 55" with a 1" bezel, middle is 50" with a >3" bezel and bottom is 46" with a 2" bezel.

Thanks, I at least want to step down to 50" only because it would just make the entertainment center look weird and dwarf everything. Design decision, not TV decision.

I also wouldn't mind stepping to 46" since it'd be cheaper. My main goal is to get a new TV in that space without spending money.

Followup: any scams to watch out for buying big TV's on craigslist?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2013

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The wife and I are almost ready to buy a TV. We're most likely going to grab something from Costco. These were both listed on their website. Not sure if they are going to be in the local Costco, but I think it's a good baseline:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF9MZ7Q
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TEH0JY

Reviews on Amazon are good, seems to be a good deal either way, but I'll keep doing my research. We're taking a trip to Costco this weekend for groceries so I'll be able to browse, price, and research further before I make my decision on the 15th.

We're going to be doing a wall mount above our fireplace since we can't fit this thing anywhere else. (Don't worry, we're not planning on actually lighting the fireplace...) This weekend I'm going to drill into the space above the mantelpiece to see what's happening back there and make sure it's safe to mount it. We'll be getting a mount that lets us tilt and turn the TV a bit, of course. Anyone have any experience doing wall mounts for heavier TVs (avg. 65 lbs)? Where to buy, what brand is good, how to properly mount so it doesn't collapse the wall, etc.?

First I chuckled, and then I saw your username. Then I laughed.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

]Anyone have any experience doing wall mounts for heavier TVs (avg. 65 lbs)? Where to buy, what brand is good, how to properly mount so it doesn't collapse the wall, etc.?

This guy, look at the manual here and it explains installation on any wall:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8589&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice's stuff is great.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

This guy, look at the manual here and it explains installation on any wall:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8589&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice's stuff is great.

Yeah, I heard Monoprice has good mounts. Thanks!

Actually, the one you linked says it only fits between 23-37" TVs. Should I get something like this instead?:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8585&seq=1&format=2

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, I heard Monoprice has good mounts. Thanks!

Actually, the one you linked says it only fits between 23-37" TVs. Should I get something like this instead?:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8585&seq=1&format=2

As long as you meet the weight requirement and the mount supports the VESA size your tv uses then ignore the inches it says it fits.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

As long as you meet the weight requirement and the mount supports the VESA size your tv uses then ignore the inches it says it fits.

Perfect, this is what I needed to hear. Thanks!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, monoprice mounts are great.

GOD DAMNIT TV PROBLEM: My efforts to sell/trade my TV are being thwarted the DAY I list it on Craigslist. I flip on the TV and switch the source to HDMI1, which is my Roku 3, and it says no signal. WHAT! I plug the roku HDMI into all four HDMI inputs, nothing. I plug an additional miniport->hdmi into the ports with my laptop as a source, no signal.

This literally just happened last night I guess. No warning? Is there a checklist or something I can do to sort out what might have happened? Are all the HDMI inputs just suddenly dead? The TV and all inputs are all on two power strips and I'd think if anything got "zapped" I would notice? Maybe it just failed, old age?

:( halp

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm gonna run through my diagnosis/checklist see if you can catch this before I do.

The things plugged into my TV: power cable, ethernet, OTA DIY antennae, HDMI in from Roku.

1) Roku doesn't work. Plug it into all 4 HDMI ports, nothing. Plug RCA video with working source into TV, no signal. Freak out.

2) Unplug everything except power. Plug RCA video in. Nothing. Reboot RCA video source (another set top box, crappy) and LO AND BEHOLD, IT WORKS.

3) Unplug RCA video source, plug in HDMI from same confirmed working source, nothing.

4) Unplug HDMI4 slot, plug into HDMI2 slot, IT WORKS. It wasn't working on this before.

Seeing as I tried this with that other miniport->hdmi cable, I feel like this is an issue potentially with the HDMI ports on the TV itself rather than the cable, or could it be both my cables? Both are relatively new.

5) Try still same source via HDMI on HDMI1, HDMI3, doesn't work, including rebooting the source.

6) Plug back into HDMI2, works.

Weird thing to note: my TV only shows up sources that are plugged in, but no matter what is plugged in "PC" which is VGA always shows up despite there not being anything plugged into it.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 1, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So I've solved my TV issue, once and for all. The solution isn't perfect, but the picture quality is vastly superior to the incorrect pixel ratio you'll get on a TV that reports as a Mitac MTC26T42. I thought I'd post it for posterity, maybe some poor fool on google will stumble across this post. First, you'll need to switch to a VGA cable. You'll notice immediately that the picture looks better than HDMI, but still kinda blurry. It'll also report a maximum resolution of 1440x900, which is, of course, the wrong aspect ratio, even though it'll be much sharper and clearer than any other resolution. You can create a custom resolution using your Nvidia or AMD drivers, but it'll still only use 1440x900 pixels, and scale up to 1920x1080. It'll look ok, but still pretty blurry.

What you'll need to do is set the timing section in the custom resolution menu to manual, change the active pixels to 1920x1080. Change the Front porch, sync width, and total pixels in the horizontal section to 148, 44, and 2200 respectively. Set the vertical to 4, 5, 1125. Set the horizontal polarity to negative, and the vertical to positive. The refresh rate should be just 60, but if that fails, try 50, it could be some PAL weirdness.

That'll get you your 1:1 pixel ratio, and it'll look close to perfect. Using an analogue signal isn't the best solution, but it'll look far superior to an HDMI or DVI cord, and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it without rooting into EDID and doing some extensive editing.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I decided to take a look at what's available at Sam's since I have a members card and figure it should be "okay"? And I guess I'm interested if anyone has any experience or knows anything about this 50" JVC LED? It seems to have the features I want (barebones) and I assume 120 hz is a decent refresh rate? Anyone else have any other important on whether this would be a good purchase. I'll be using it for console games and watching stuff from a PC (online videos and some TV stuff.) (also occasionally PC games). EDIT: The only worry I have is input lag is currently unknown, but I guess I'm not panicking over it. Would be nice to know but.

The T fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 1, 2013

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Followup to my posts just above - The wife and I finally got our very own Costco memberships (YAY WE'RE ADULTS :woop:) and browsed the TV selections. They've got this one in stock, which was one of the two I saw on their website I was really interested in (link goes to Amazon for reviews and extra specs):

VIZIO 55” Class (54.60” Diag.) Razor LED™ Smart TV

I'm pretty happy with it after previewing it in the store, so I'm gonna go for it! They also have a good wall mount in stock that has the right weight rating and VESA size, so I won't even need to worry about ordering one from Monoprice.

We're really excited. :) I get paid in two weeks on a work-from-home day, so I'll be picking it up during lunch. My wife is probably going to end up playing Dark Souls until she gets a headache... I'll be sure to post about it here and in the HDTV megathread so other goons know how it fares.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Followup to my posts just above - The wife and I finally got our very own Costco memberships (YAY WE'RE ADULTS :woop:) and browsed the TV selections. They've got this one in stock, which was one of the two I saw on their website I was really interested in (link goes to Amazon for reviews and extra specs):

VIZIO 55” Class (54.60” Diag.) Razor LED™ Smart TV

I'm pretty happy with it after previewing it in the store, so I'm gonna go for it! They also have a good wall mount in stock that has the right weight rating and VESA size, so I won't even need to worry about ordering one from Monoprice.

We're really excited. :) I get paid in two weeks on a work-from-home day, so I'll be picking it up during lunch. My wife is probably going to end up playing Dark Souls until she gets a headache... I'll be sure to post about it here and in the HDTV megathread so other goons know how it fares.

Make sure you get the square trade warranty. Should be $60 for 5 years.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Make sure you get the square trade warranty. Should be $60 for 5 years.

Oh, nice, my wife was mentioning Square Trade and I didn't realize the price and coverage were that good. Thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, nice, my wife was mentioning Square Trade and I didn't realize the price and coverage were that good. Thanks!

Its through costco directly. You get the 1 year vizio warranty, the 1 year extra costco warranty, then for $60 (for tv's under $1000) you get another 3 years after.

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
Having recently purchased the UN65F8000 I wandered over to the AVS owners thread looking for calibration suggestions and was sucked into a whirling vortex of poo poo I don't understand at all.
Is there a straightforward guide to optimizing the picture on this model?

The AVS calibration disc looks like it was last updated in Nov 2010, so I'm concerned about it's validity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is your picture bad? set it on movie mode. Turn off interpolation. Enjoy your tv.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

jeaves posted:

The AVS calibration disc looks like it was last updated in Nov 2010, so I'm concerned about it's validity.

Unless I missed a very important memo, black is still black and white is still white. It doesn't matter that the disc hasn't been updated, it will still output the same levels required to calibrate your display.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, the only thing you would worry about with test discs is if they were designed to calibrate CRT's, and even then most of the test patterns will still be valid.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I need to get a new T.V. but there are 238904723 models out there and all I want is a 50" that looks good, but I'm scared of buying anything since the price fluctuations are extreme, there are $500 and $4000 50" and I have no clue where the price point is for something where you can play a video game and it just looks good.

Are there any solid recommendations for bare bones decent looking inexpensive 50" tvs?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

At least tell us the most you're willing to spend... jeez.
Brand names start about $650 and up for 50". (All prices Amazon)

VIZIO E500i-A1 50-inch 1080P 120Hz LED Smart HDTV - $650

Toshiba 50L2300U 50-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black with gun metal trim) - $650

VIZIO M501d-A2R 50-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV - $800

Samsung UN50EH5300 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black) - $800

I apologize for the lack of LG, but my knowledge isn't as strong with them.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 3, 2013

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
650 is a good price range, I just don't want to buy something and feel dumb for getting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can't go wrong with Vizio then.

They're probably the single best value-for-money brand around in LED.