Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

dr.acula posted:

Also undoing all the things people died in wars to accomplish sure is awesome

Sorry, but they died in vain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T.S. Smelliot posted:

So where are your shrill rants about how "the native locals" in [every sect of land ever inhabited by humans] have the REAL claim to [every sect of land ever inhabited by humans]? By this idiot logic I guess the Israelis really DO have a legitimate claim to the land then?

fam where else are the native locals so brutally owned on though

have you seen my rants in the oil pipeline thread recently they were pretty shrill

also this is the ISRAEL THREAD gee I wonder why I'm talking specifically about ISRAEL

also that's not my logic dog, my logic is 'lol Israel literally has laws on the books that treat Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs differently' which is the definition of apartheid and I dislike my tax money paying for it.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Legitimate according to who and with what force to prove it?

*signs treaty*
LOL gently caress YOUR TREATY

i mean sure but that makes you an rear end in a top hat lol and if you then get mad when people call you an rear end in a top hat then you're just digging your hole deeper

Blue Train posted:

I like the unironic might makes right arguments itt

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 16, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

fam where else are the native locals so brutally owned on though

have you seen my rants in the oil pipeline thread recently they were pretty shrill

also this is the ISRAEL THREAD gee I wonder why I'm talking specifically about ISRAEL

also that's not my logic dog, my logic is 'lol Israel literally has laws on the books that treat Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs differently' which is the definition of apartheid and I dislike my tax money paying for it.

*signs treaty*
LOL gently caress YOUR TREATY

i mean sure but that makes you an rear end in a top hat lol and if you then get mad when people call you an rear end in a top hat then you're just digging your hole deeper

no man when you say something is apartheid you compare it to the situation of total racial segregation in South Africa. The only legal distinctions between israeli jews and arabs is that the arabs are exempt from military conscription (this is also true of christians and druze iirc). The israeli government badly underfunds arab institutions and the like but that's true of minority groups the world over.

obviously not talking about the occupied territories here.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I like what Israel has done with the place, looks nice and green. Perhaps they should take up more land.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

no man when you say something is apartheid you compare it to the situation of total racial segregation in South Africa. The only legal distinctions between israeli jews and arabs is that the arabs are exempt from military conscription (this is also true of christians and druze iirc). The israeli government badly underfunds arab institutions and the like but that's true of minority groups the world over.

If you're interested I can actually link you more than just that law which treats them differently.

no man when you say something is apartheid you compare it to the situation of total racial segregation in South Africa.

Yeah and?

You realize most Palestinians are living in walled in lovely conditions and have all their movements/actions subject to Israeli approval right? You realize when a Palestinian does something wrong the consequence is often his family's entire home is bulldozed and when an Israeli Jew does the same exact thing they are just arrested and treated as you'd expect?

That the gov't in power has stated their goal is to replace Palestinian communities with Jewish communities? All land east of the Jordan is Israeli according to them.

from UN definition of Apartheid posted:

b. Deliberate imposition on a racial group or groups of living conditions calculated to cause its or their physical destruction in whole or in part;

c. Any legislative measures and other measures calculated to prevent a racial group or groups from participation in the political, social, economic and cultural life of the country and the deliberate creation of conditions preventing the full development of such a group or groups, in particular by denying to members of a racial group or groups basic human rights and freedoms, including the right to work, the right to form recognized trade unions, the right to education, the right to leave and to return to their country, the right to a nationality, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association;

I bolded those because those are the particularly egregious violations

You literally cannot leave occupied Palestinian territories without going through Israeli approval as Israel prevents them from having an international airport. Thus all movement happens through Israeli/Palestinian checkpoints and it is strictly controlled.

e: I missed this:

But uh that's kind of a massive omission no? And even so, Israeli citizens who are Arabic are punished differently than Israeli citizens who are Jewish for the same crimes/activities. It's not just the letter of the law, it is how it is applied and enforced - which is often unfortunately in a highly discriminatory way.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 16, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Moridin920 posted:

If you're interested I can actually link you more than just that law which treats them differently.

Yeah and?

You realize most Palestinians are living in walled in lovely conditions and have all their movements/actions subject to Israeli approval right? You realize when a Palestinian does something wrong the consequence is often his family's entire home is bulldozed and when an Israeli Jew does the same exact thing they are just arrested and treated as you'd expect?

That the gov't in power has stated their goal is to replace Palestinian communities with Jewish communities? All land east of the Jordan is Israeli according to them.

I bolded those because those are the particularly egregious violations

You literally cannot leave occupied Palestinian territories without going through Israeli approval as Israel prevents them from having an international airport. Thus all movement happens through Israeli/Palestinian checkpoints and it is strictly controlled.

e: I missed this:

But uh that's kind of a massive omission no? And even so, Israeli citizens who are Arabic are punished differently than Israeli citizens who are Jewish for the same crimes/activities. It's not just the letter of the law, it is how it is applied and enforced - which is often unfortunately in a highly discriminatory way.

Maybe to time for the Palestinians to realize that terrorism will never achieve their goals and to try something else then.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

Maybe to time for the Palestinians to realize that terrorism will never achieve their goals and to try something else then.

Maybe but that's a different argument.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

There are lots of serious differences between apartheid and what Israel does in Israel and the analogy is designed to get people lovely at Israel. If arabs experience legal discrimination within israel (I'm sure they probably do but I know gently caress all about life in Israel aside from the few things i've already said and I'm not going to wikipedia just for the sake of arguing) it's not on the same level as South Africa which was complete segregation down to maternity wards, train carriages, swimming holes and every other drat thing. Also apartheid is more than "powerful group is lovely to weaker group" - it's a political ideology based on racial supremacy that forcibly separates populations based on race, reinforced by the legal system and police violence . The reason that it's important that this situation doesn't exist within Israel itself is because it shows Israel's motivations aren't based on racial supremacy. Looking clearly at the situation it's obviously an old-fashioned land grab probably pursued for nationalist reasons. If they're setting up isolated Palestinian bantustans it's because it's easier than running them out of the country, not because they want to segregate them from Israeli society. On top of that they have no intention of exploiting Palestinians for any serious economic purpose, they just want them out of the way.

Situation's all hosed up but accusing Israel of apartheid doesn't really stack up and it's mainly done for propaganda purposes to get activists more riled up than they should be.

Hell I'm splitting hairs here but the thing is bad enough without needing to gin it up with words like apartheid or genocide

E: if the situation was settled either by annexation or a two-state solution israel would not treat its arab population to the same treatment as it gives them in the occupied territories unless they get a real fucker into power (like worse than bibi somehow)

anyway this has been my seriouspost for the day

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 16, 2017

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

There are lots of serious differences between apartheid and what Israel does in Israel and the analogy is designed to get people lovely at Israel. If arabs experience legal discrimination within israel (I'm sure they probably do but I know gently caress all about life in Israel aside from the few things i've already said and I'm not going to wikipedia just for the sake of arguing) it's not on the same level as South Africa which was complete segregation down to maternity wards, train carriages, swimming holes and every other drat thing. Also apartheid is more than "powerful group is lovely to weaker group" - it's a political ideology based on racial supremacy that forcibly separates populations based on race, reinforced by the legal system and police violence . The reason that it's important that this situation doesn't exist within Israel itself is because it shows Israel's motivations aren't based on racial supremacy. Looking clearly at the situation it's obviously an old-fashioned land grab probably pursued for nationalist reasons. If they're setting up isolated Palestinian bantustans it's because it's easier than running them out of the country, not because they want to segregate them from Israeli society. On top of that they have no intention of exploiting Palestinians for any serious economic purpose, they just want them out of the way.

Situation's all hosed up but accusing Israel of apartheid doesn't really stack up and it's mainly done for propaganda purposes to get activists more riled up than they should be.

Hell I'm splitting hairs here but the thing is bad enough without needing to gin it up with words like apartheid or genocide

Why are you writing so many words about something you freely admit you know nothing about

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

butterbar posted:

Why are you writing so many words about something you freely admit you know nothing about

i don't know much about the exact laws relating to arabs in israel other than they're not extremely discriminatory, but I know enough about the rest. nice own though my man

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I propose a one state solution, and that state is iran

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Look fam just because it isn't as brutal as South Africa doesn't mean it doesn't fit the literal UN definition of what apartheid is and I feel like to say otherwise is trying to downplay it. You are splitting hairs. I mean I understand where you're coming from and you're right it isn't on the same level as South Africa but to say "South Africa level is the baseline, anything not at least as bad as this is not apartheid" is just kinda wrong.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume%201015/volume-1015-I-14861-English.pdf

[I'ma bold what Israel does]

International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid. Adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 30 November 1973 posted:

For the purpose of the present Convention, the term "the crime of apartheid", which shall include similar policies and practices of racial segregation and discrimination as practised in southern Africa, shall apply to the following inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them:

a. Denial to a member or members of a racial group or groups of the right to life and liberty of person:
i. By murder of members of a racial group or groups;
ii. By the infliction upon the members of a racial group or groups of serious bodily or mental harm, by the infringement of their freedom or dignity, or by subjecting them to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment; [collective punishment, just for a start]
iii. By arbitrary arrest and illegal imprisonment of the members of a racial group or groups;
b. Deliberate imposition on a racial group or groups of living conditions calculated to cause its or their physical destruction in whole or in part;
c. Any legislative measures and other measures calculated to prevent a racial group or groups from participation in the political, social, economic and cultural life of the country and the deliberate creation of conditions preventing the full development of such a group or groups, in particular by denying to members of a racial group or groups basic human rights and freedoms, including the right to work, the right to form recognized trade unions, the right to education, the right to leave and to return to their country, the right to a nationality, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association;
d. Any measures, including legislative measures, designed to divide the population along racial lines by the creation of separate reserves and ghettos for the members of a racial group or groups, the prohibition of mixed marriages among members of various racial groups, the expropriation of landed property belonging to a racial group or groups or to members thereof;
e. Exploitation of the labour of the members of a racial group or groups, in particular by submitting them to forced labour;
f. Persecution of organizations and persons, by depriving them of fundamental rights and freedoms, because they oppose apartheid.[that one MIGHT be reaching but given how they treat Palestinian protesters I don't really think so]

I mean that's almost every single checkmark hit aside from straight out murder or enslavement of Arabs and I can provide sources/citations for every single one of those bolded things.

What's a better word if not apartheid then?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2017

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
a political ideology based on racial supremacy that forcibly separates populations based on race, reinforced by the legal system and police violence

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

Look fam just because it isn't as brutal as South Africa doesn't mean it doesn't fit the literal UN definition of what apartheid is and I feel like to say otherwise is trying to downplay it. You are splitting hairs. I mean I understand where you're coming from and you're right it isn't on the same level as South Africa but to say "South Africa level is the baseline, anything not at least as bad as this is not apartheid" is just kinda wrong.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume%201015/volume-1015-I-14861-English.pdf

[I'ma bold what Israel does]

I mean that's almost every single checkmark hit aside from straight out murder or enslavement of Arabs.

yeah but it's not systematic. The problem is the occupation - outside of the occupation itself these conditions don't apply at all, and some of them only questionably. If it's not racially based (and it can't be because the government isn't applying these policies to the same races within Israel proper) then most of the racial requirements are met only coincidentally because Palestinians happen to be Arabs. Like they're not being targeted for being Arabs, they're targeted because they're on territory that Israel wants.

Don't get me wrong though, it's hosed, very illegal and probably causes roughly as much suffering to the populations affected as Apartheid. Like I said the occupation needs to end either by withdrawal or annexation and formal recognition of palestinian rights within Israel.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah but it's not systematic. The problem is the occupation - outside of the occupation itself these conditions don't apply at all, and some of them only questionably. If it's not racially based (and it can't be because the government isn't applying these policies to the same races within Israel proper) then most of the racial requirements are met only coincidentally because Palestinians happen to be Arabs. Like they're not being targeted for being Arabs, they're targeted because they're on territory that Israel wants.

Don't get me wrong though, it's hosed, very illegal and probably causes roughly as much suffering to the populations affected as Apartheid. Like I said the occupation needs to end either by withdrawal or annexation and formal recognition of palestinian rights within Israel.

Mmmm alright that's some quibbling but alright I guess. It is pretty drat systematic though.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

butterbar posted:

a political ideology based on racial supremacy that forcibly separates populations based on race, reinforced by the legal system and police violence

But, ww2 caused this, and it ended....ohhhhhhhhhh

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Arabs get treated like poo poo in Israel proper too

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

Mmmm alright that's some quibbling but alright I guess. It is pretty drat systematic though.

ok i will stop quibbling. good hustle

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

butterbar posted:

Arabs get treated like poo poo in Israel proper too

yeah but are we talking on the regular level of poo poo that minorities face or something worse? Because the cops in the US and UK gently caress black and middle eastern people round the clock.

E: like I said I don't know much about this so if you've got something I'd like to hear about it

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2017

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
"You aren't Jewish, get off this land or we'll kill you" whats is ambiguous about that?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

yeah but are we talking on the regular level of poo poo that minorities face or something worse? Because the cops in the US and UK gently caress black and middle eastern people round the clock.

E: like I said I don't know much about this so if you've got something I'd like to hear about it

Please don't normalize the oppression of minorities.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

~according to people I've spoken to (some of who are Israeli Jews who dislike Netanyahu's deal)~ it's like... protest a little too hard against Gaza stuff on the corner if you're a white jewish person and you'll get arrested and put in holding and whatnot but you'll eventually go home with maybe a fine and whatever. An arab in the same exact situation gets put on a list which then greatly impacts their life in terms of ability to do various things like travel the checkpoints freely or buy land or whatnot and also there's a decent chance your entire residence will get bulldozed even if there are 9 other people living there (odds vary depending on if you're living in an area they want to remove non-Jews from).

e: Also there's a big deal made about the fact that many Palestinian homes outside the cities (like in the villages and stuff) are built without a permit, thus the gov't is justified in razing them. However, the gov't also makes it absurdly difficult to get said permits if you are Arab so your choice is build a home without a permit or leave.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 16, 2017

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im glad to find out its ok to do ethnic cleansing as long as its not for explicitly racial reasons

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

"You aren't Jewish, get off this land or we'll kill you" whats is ambiguous about that?

within israel, gee

SHISHKABOB posted:

Please don't normalize the oppression of minorities.

i know what each of these words mean individually but not in this sequence

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i feel like i should point out that you are arguing in gbs with guy with a piss avatar before we go much further

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't really know what the gently caress is going on over there... but when i boil it down it get that conclusion....

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

honest question but didnt the moors do the same thing originally? They weren't indigenous to iberia

Yes, they did, just like the current Muslim nations displaced the original Jews. Did you know that the Jews build Jerusalem, and that the Palestinians really have no right to it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Once upon a time we had no laws and everyone just murdered each other as they saw fit; therefore, society and the rule of law are useless today in 2017.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If only the Muslim countries followed international laws, instead of being totalitarian hellholes that sponsor terrorism

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If only Israel followed international laws, they wouldn't be administrating the occupation of hellholes that radicalize people.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Once upon a time we had no laws and everyone just murdered each other as they saw fit; therefore, society and the rule of law are useless today in 2017.

You should write a sternly worded letter about it bro family homie dude mang

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

your friend a dog posted:

If only the Muslim countries followed international laws, instead of being totalitarian hellholes that sponsor terrorism

Moridin920 posted:

If only Israel followed international laws, they wouldn't be administrating the occupation of hellholes that radicalize people.

Hmm, as a Hillary supporter, all I can say is oh boy let's give both of these guys tons of money and weapons this poo poo will work out real well

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Hmm, as a Hillary supporter, all I can say is oh boy let's give both of these guys tons of money and weapons this poo poo will work out real well

You know what as a Trump supporter I'm crossing the aisle to say in the spirit of bipartisanship and cooperation I agree with this man

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i'm having trouble working out who's in each aisle, please stop crossing it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

i'm having trouble working out who's in each aisle, please stop crossing it

Both aisles have a single owner: the

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

israel is the best

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I believe Israel has a right not only to exist but to exist specifically as a Jewish ethnostate. Ethnostates are under attack by the forces of neoliberalism and multiculturalism, but Israel must stand firm in its struggle, once again to serve as an example for other nations

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I believe Israel has a right not only to exist but to exist specifically as a Jewish ethnostate. Ethnostates are under attack by the forces of neoliberalism and multiculturalism, but Israel must stand firm in its struggle, once again to serve as an example for other nations

ethnostates are coming back into fashion bigly this year so once again Israel is on the right side of history

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this thread is getting really bad really quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it has its ups and down

• Locked thread