Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im going to play some Quake 1 tonight because the OP reminded me how amazing it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Duel mode doesn't have the timers above the health or armor spawns.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

Im going to play some Quake 1 tonight because the OP reminded me how amazing it is

I just ran through episode 1, posting to see what my time was.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

14 minutes...not bad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm lying in bed on mobile so I can't link the Vods but the 1v1 tournament matches at Quakecon today were cool.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive replayed quake so many times and in currently in the process of playing as many custom maps i can for it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fadam posted:

Duel mode doesn't have the timers above the health or armor spawns.

lol so its not even an issue in the only mode where that would be important

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Imagine being, like, a Gaul, or someone else that wasn't even aware that elephants existed, only to march into battle one day and have a dozen of the things barreling into you. That'd be the worst lol

Isnt that what happened when hannibal crossed the alps.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also i hope quake champions finds success and revitalizes quake cause i missed the boat on q3a and ut

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Also i hope quake champions finds success and revitalizes quake cause i missed the boat on q3a and ut

same. i did play q3a and ut in their heyday but i was a dumb kid at the time and never got really good at them or anything

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lets also be realistic; this game is absolutely going to crash and burn, and noone really wants to play quake anymore else ql would still have hundred thousands of concurrent users at all times. Or those indie ones like reflex nexuiz would have remained alive. Im not hopeful whcich is why i wanna play qc asap before it peters out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im mostly hopeful it remains alive because if it doesn't it's back to overwatch-COD-battlefield hell forever lol. plus its going to have a free option in a while and it has heavy marketing behind it unlike those indie shooters that were dead on arrival. like 20 people bought nexuiz

im probably in denial believing people will keep playing a game if it's fun and they want to get better at it instead of just going back to overwatch because it's easier but time will tell i guess.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff posted:

lol so its not even an issue in the only mode where that would be important

now remove the abilities and passoves and you have a game

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Classes in FPS games are poop from a particularly smelly, hairy unwashed butt.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I agree the classes and abilities are dumb, but concessions had to be made to try and get people to actually play this game, and Quake with dumb stuff stapled to it is still better than most games.

Unfortunately, they decided to not release the F2P client during the big Quakecon tournament for some reason, so the player base is still fairly small and I have a bad feeling this game is going to end up like every other arena shooter and have a player base of seven Russian guys who actually play and a bunch of people who just pretend to play so they can poo poo on other, more casual arena shooters that get released.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that is exactly what is going to happen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd start playing if it was only against Russians with 600 ping

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fadam posted:

I agree the classes and abilities are dumb, but concessions had to be made to try and get people to actually play this game

When did gamers become so loving stupid? Like when did selling gamers pointless poo poo like loot boxes (in game) and loot crates (irl) become a thing? I just don't understand why anyone would want such crap. I guess I come from the days of old when you bought a game and that was it unless you were on PC and someone had hosed around with wads and what have you. There was precious little selling of anything other than map packs and the smallest amount of cheap lovely merch.

These days it seems gamers are more than willing to pay for a game several times over and I'm just wondering what has changed mentally for gaming.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

When did gamers become so loving stupid? Like when did selling gamers pointless poo poo like loot boxes (in game) and loot crates (irl) become a thing? I just don't understand why anyone would want such crap. I guess I come from the days of old when you bought a game and that was it unless you were on PC and someone had hosed around with wads and what have you. There was precious little selling of anything other than map packs and the smallest amount of cheap lovely merch.

These days it seems gamers are more than willing to pay for a game several times over and I'm just wondering what has changed mentally for gaming.

I blame ios games

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Most things are either League of Legend's fault or Capitalism's fault but I think in this case its probably both.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I blame Normies

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Ive replayed quake so many times and in currently in the process of playing as many custom maps i can for it

quakespasm + quakeinjector ftw.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant run quaddicteds quakeinjector because of some java yospos bullshit... will prolly get around to getting that running today

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html is really good if you want to Quake it up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

I blame Normies

gently caress you Bro. WE didn't do poo poo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm playing splatoon instead

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fadam posted:

I agree the classes and abilities are dumb, but concessions had to be made to try and get people to actually play this game, and Quake with dumb stuff stapled to it is still better than most games.

this is how i see it. if you dont have unlockable cosmetics and big shiny numbers telling people they're making progress, they see no reason to invest time into a game. people are also loving delusional if they think this is ever going away lol

Liquid Drink posted:

I blame Normies

cod4, tf2/csgo lootboxes and MOBAs ruined gaming

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

gently caress you Bro. WE didn't do poo poo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 gonna stream this rn, im pretty bad at it lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

extremebuff posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 gonna stream this rn, im pretty bad at it lol

Learn how to use your ultimate ability in a quake game better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

Learn how to use your ultimate ability in a quake game better

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Holy poo poo, almost twice the amount of collectables in Yoshi's Wolly World!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

extremebuff posted:

lmao. bethesda ftw.

alright fine, not saying this is perfect. just the options for blowing up people in 2017 with rocket launchers and lightning guns are this and overwatch. i pick this. its fun as hell and cheap, its not going to be the holy grail of multiplayer fps like quake 3 was, it has modern lootbox aids, but at the end of the day its a really good time.

I've been playing whatever competitive shooters are around and whining under my breath while I wait for the next legit unreal tournament (which may never happen) and this is as close as we will ever get to that so I'll be getting this when its completed

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Liquid Drink Is Not BBG

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

there are more people on Steam currently playing Brink over quake chanpions

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
watching gameplay of this makes me mad because they cant aim for poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Liquid Drink Is Not BBG

Who is he then

• Locked thread