Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

new quake is good and out on steam rn. it also actually has a playerbase and finding matches is quick, i haven't felt a rush like this from an FPS in a long time and it's drat good to be fragging again

yes there are 'different' classes with some minor stat differences, some of them have passives like better air control or a double jump, but map knowledge and accuracy is still king. no one has some bullshit overwatch i-win-button or an obvious edge. it'd be cool if more people got on this because its really loving fun

e: actually after playing this more wait til its free lmao bethesda is win

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quake Champions sucks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paging Wormskull to the thread to flame the OP.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I like the robot and the lizard.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its dogshit, op

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Quake Champions sucks rear end.

elf help book posted:

its dogshit, op

have either of you played it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

extremebuff posted:

Get instant access to Quake Champions with the Champions Pack, at a reduced price during early access! This pack also includes the full roster of current and future Champions, three Loot Chests, an exclusive Early Access Ranger skin, and the ability to play in custom games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Map knowledge is pointless in this game because pick ups respawn in 0.5 seconds. Giving everybody ultimate s is only there because they're pushing their bullshit esports 5v5 mode that's some hosed Up king of the hill thing where you have to camp a point. Not moving is the best part of Arena shooters...gently caress off! I hope John Romero telefrags your rear end in hell Todd Howard!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/899675039112589312

those classic Bethesda FPSs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

I played about 10 hours of it's closed beta a few months ago and they haven't dramatically changed th game at all since. They added the Doom Guy as a character

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

Get instant access to Quake Champions with the Champions Pack, at a reduced price during early access! This pack also includes the full roster of current and future Champions, three Loot Chests, an exclusive Early Access Ranger skin, and the ability to play in custom games.

loot boxes and poo poo is the nature of the market. no one is ever going to make an FPS without this crap again because it sells. all i care about is that the game is fun as hell

In Training posted:

Map knowledge is pointless in this game because pick ups respawn in 0.5 seconds. Giving everybody ultimate s is only there because they're pushing their bullshit esports 5v5 mode that's some hosed Up king of the hill thing where you have to camp a point. Not moving is the best part of Arena shooters...gently caress off! I hope John Romero telefrags your rear end in hell Todd Howard!

not moving gets you killed really fast and the weapons do take a while to respawn, the important pickups like megahealth etc. take a good while. i played the koth thing and its pretty drat fun, its not like youre cod camping a room

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Knowing the maps is pretty crucial because a lot of the time you're anticipating where the other guy is going to be and everyone is constantly in a state of motion.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cursed image

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lets put timers on all the items so you dont even need to keep track of your opponents to know the spawn times, quake is best enjoyed when it ts telling you exactly what to do while you mindlessly frag and use special unique hero abilities. also remember dm6? its worse now for no reason, theres even a teleporter in it now which alters its entire flow. this is some sublime gaming

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Cursed image

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im going to spend $7 so i can have cpma movement on a single character instead of opening up a different version of quake that i already own and everyone has it for free

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

does this game still give you bonus damge if youre zoomed in? that was some masterful game design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blizzard just made SC1 free and there's about 30k people online every night now. Bethesda could just tweet Hey Quake alive people! And get as many on there but instead they made this pile. I hate them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

does this game still give you bonus damge if youre zoomed in? that was some masterful game design

Yes

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the rail gun can be charged up for a very tiny amount of bonus damage but otherwise no

lets put timers on all the items so you dont even need to keep track of your opponents to know the spawn times, quake is best enjoyed when it ts telling you exactly what to do while you mindlessly frag and use special unique hero abilities. also remember dm6? its worse now for no reason, theres even a teleporter in it now which alters its entire flow. this is some sublime gaming

the timers are fine lol its just giving everyone that basic knowledge instead of expecting players who may not be quake gods to keep timers in their head, i dont think theres anything wrong with little details like that

people are shiting on this because its not 1:1 quake 3 but evidently they dont actually want that because quake live is right there and no one plays it. they made tweaks and added a class system for flavor but its still pretty much quake and really fun, imo that matters more than how accurate it is to a super old game no one plays anymore

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hitting todd howard with an 80 damage rail as a warning but then he knows im serious when i look down the scope

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff posted:

the rail gun can be charged up for a very tiny amount of bonus damage but otherwise no

the timers are fine lol its just giving everyone that basic knowledge instead of expecting players who may not be quake gods to keep timers in their head, i dont think theres anything wrong with little details like that

people are shiting on this because its not 1:1 quake 3 but evidently they dont actually want that because quake live is right there and no one plays it. they made tweaks and added a class system for flavor but its still pretty much quake and really fun, imo that matters more than how accurate it is to a super old game no one plays anymore

the timers are hosed because the whole point is you have to be present to know when someone picked up the item, it leads to positional plays for information instead of just cruising by the area later and looking at the timer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hitting todd howard with an 80 damage rail as a warning but then he knows im serious when i look down the scope

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the timers are hosed because the whole point is you have to be present to know when someone picked up the item, it leads to positional plays for information instead of just cruising by the area later and looking at the timer

not gonna deny a tiny amount of depth was lost here but that doesnt automatically mean the game is a dumpster fire lol

lmao

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Queef

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if you want to strafe jump you have to pick the hero with that ability, he can also see through walls though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

if you want to strafe jump you have to pick the hero with that ability, he can also see through walls though

get with the times, grandpa, and buy the early access beta loot bundle today to get an exclusive skin

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I claim this thread in the name of the Roman Senate & People!

This is now a Total War: Rome II: Emperor Edition discussion thread. I was told to try this game once again, and that it really was fixed this time, and by all accounts that seems to be correct. Missile unit accuracy is fixed, siege AI and naval battle AI have finally been fixed, the campaign AI no longer spawns a bajillion generals with 1/2 units, the building values have been revamped... the list goes on, but- after more than three years since release- I can safely say that Total War: Rome II is finally a good game. Not the best Total War in recent years, of course- the competitive play of Shogun 2 remains uncontested, and the campaign world and units of Warhammer are far more interesting and dynamic- but it's still worth looking into now, especially since all the DLC is bundled with it, I think.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

when i came back from war president bush awarded me my medals, impressive multiple times over, multikills.... even a humiliation. now kids these days think they can just buy those accolades

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao. gently caress you though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

apparently if you get more than 60fps in this game your internet upload gets maxed out and it makes you lag

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apparently if you get more than 60fps in this game your internet upload gets maxed out and it makes you lag

a new game in beta has some bugs..welp, guess im gonna get the refund while i can

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its been like that for 5 months

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its been like that for 5 months

lmao. bethesda ftw.

alright fine, not saying this is perfect. just the options for blowing up people in 2017 with rocket launchers and lightning guns are this and overwatch. i pick this. its fun as hell and cheap, its not going to be the holy grail of multiplayer fps like quake 3 was, it has modern lootbox aids, but at the end of the day its a really good time.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Quake is no map awareness 5v5 ultimates weapon instant respawning choice+epic loot boxes pay for heroes doom guy nostalgia Quake Heroes!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Imagine being, like, a Gaul, or someone else that wasn't even aware that elephants existed, only to march into battle one day and have a dozen of the things barreling into you. That'd be the worst lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Imagine being, like, a Gaul, or someone else that wasn't even aware that elephants existed, only to march into battle one day and have a dozen of the things barreling into you. That'd be the worst lol

tfw...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'd poo poo all of my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXr1nI0KriM

• Locked thread