Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

starbucks hermit posted:

Tea Party, Tea Party, Tea Party

Ermengarde

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:hfive:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Write, write, write and Ermengarde

Totally not picking the option giving the most belief to make the choice possible in the first place and to compensate for it being lowered afterwards.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Poor Ermengarde. She really is pretty dumb, though.

Let's hang out with Jessie and tea party, party, party all day.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Enchanted Hat posted:

Poor Ermengarde. She really is pretty dumb, though.

Let's hang out with Jessie and tea party, party, party all day.

She is not dumb! Based on what she's saying, it almost sounds like Ermengarde is dyslexic to me. Poor girl, being told she's stupid for something she can't help.

I say write, tea party, tea party and Ermengarde if the option comes up.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

She is not dumb! Based on what she's saying, it almost sounds like Ermengarde is dyslexic to me. Poor girl, being told she's stupid for something she can't help.

I say write, tea party, tea party and Ermengarde if the option comes up.

She's very sweet, but "if I tried to make up a story, how would I remember what was real and what wasn't" is real dumb. That's like something Karl Pilkington would say.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

:goonsay: incoming, the dyslexia comment made me go and ask my early-education-teacher wife about it. Her take was that differentiating between reality and fiction usually comes somewhere between 5 and 7, so if Ermengarde is telling the truth (and isn't, say, parroting something a mean adult had said about her), she might be working with a developmental delay. That would also match with struggling with imagination, and getting thoughts "muddled" easily.

Of course it's entirely possible and probable that the original author was not in fact attempting to portray a realistic developmental disability, and was just writing her to be generically stupid. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey OP, please check your PMs.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

OP updated to address some concerns and "concerns" voiced by people in and out of the thread. I'll probably start taking screenshots for the next update tonight, so if you'd like to get some more votes in go ahead.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This LP good. Hard to comment because I’ve cleared this game. But this lp and game good.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

LP good, game good. I'm a sucker for queer takes on existing literature.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

OP did nothing wrong. The fact that people sexualize queer identities, thinking that anything involving a non-heterosexual relationship automatically involves sex, is incredibly hosed up view to have. If people took a few minutes to read the material they should (i hope) realize that its nothing of the sort. This stupid loving idea people have spawned three threads from people angry at literally an assumption on their part and also filled with queerphobic poo poo. "Game for gross men" gently caress off mate.

I look forward to more updates from this story. Queer fiction is direly needed, especially romantic ones for youths so that they know that their feelings for other people are natural, okay and shouldn't be loving shamed.

I haven't read the original book this is based on, but I am curious on how it compares throughout the game.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sometimes I forget straight people don't necessarily recognise queer talk. The old OP was pretty much exactly how I talk to other queers when I find media with good representation it.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Why do people always have to get so loving weird about queer media and those who enjoy it? It's so exhausting.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

We have to put a stop to the insidious influence of video games that promote the upper class British lifestyle as an acceptable way of life. First you catch your children sipping tea, next thing you know they're walking around wearing polos singing God Save the Queen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really looking forward to more of this game and even more so since people praise it. Also I'd like to apologize for my earlier worried post.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
This game has been adorable so far, and I want to see more.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Only played Long Live The Queen of Hanako Games and loved it quite a bit, never got around to checking this out so this is very interesting so far

Feels very much like Lavinia, likely having been told by oh so many other "Proper English" people that anything related to India is bad or at the very best decidedly inferior to anything English, and is trying her damndest to "be better" by aggressively distancing herself from it. She also seems to have a nasty streak in general, I am hoping a lot of it is merely imitating what she thinks is the most Proper English Ladylike demeanor and she is actually just unsure of herself, maybe finding another path or identity along the way, or maybe she really is just right on track to being a time period accurate if still disappointing racist and arrogant English lady.

Also Ermengarde feels like she is under extreme stress and pressure to succeed and hit the breaking point long ago, but is continuing to bang against the wall trying to force success. Whether stupid, smart or average, if you are at maximum stress for most of your time you will not be learning much of anything. That is a spiral of misery that has applied to me at several points anyway, feel the pressure to succeed at all costs, concentrate so hard you get a headache, making zero progress by trying to brute force it instead of trying to find a smarter or better way of learning or even daring to ask for help for fear of believing yourself a failure if you do. If Ermengardes free time is dominated by thoughts on School or learning as well, and never unwinds, then that is decidedly what I think is going on before going for the "Is an idiot" option.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Poil posted:

I'm really looking forward to more of this game and even more so since people praise it. Also I'd like to apologize for my earlier worried post.
Hey, no need for that. You've been a great participant and there's nothing wrong with having a concern and politely voicing it. That's great, and I was happy to address it. Between here and Beach a few people wanted clarification about what romance meant given the age of the characters-- and as I said on Beach, it probably would have been a good idea to add that info to the OP when it first came up, but I didn't really think about it. Since I was editing the OP anyway to address the "concerns", it seemed prudent to address actual concerns there at the same time. All shade is reserved for people who made weird assumptions and then psychoanalyzed me based off of them in multiple threads, in a part of the site that I didn't even know existed, instead of, you know, asking.

Apology not accepted, because you did nothing wrong. :glomp:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mycelia posted:

Sometimes I forget straight people don't necessarily recognise queer talk. The old OP was pretty much exactly how I talk to other queers when I find media with good representation it.

For real.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Koboje posted:

Only played Long Live The Queen of Hanako Games and loved it quite a bit, never got around to checking this out so this is very interesting so far

Feels very much like Lavinia, likely having been told by oh so many other "Proper English" people that anything related to India is bad or at the very best decidedly inferior to anything English, and is trying her damndest to "be better" by aggressively distancing herself from it. She also seems to have a nasty streak in general, I am hoping a lot of it is merely imitating what she thinks is the most Proper English Ladylike demeanor and she is actually just unsure of herself, maybe finding another path or identity along the way, or maybe she really is just right on track to being a time period accurate if still disappointing racist and arrogant English lady.

Also Ermengarde feels like she is under extreme stress and pressure to succeed and hit the breaking point long ago, but is continuing to bang against the wall trying to force success. Whether stupid, smart or average, if you are at maximum stress for most of your time you will not be learning much of anything. That is a spiral of misery that has applied to me at several points anyway, feel the pressure to succeed at all costs, concentrate so hard you get a headache, making zero progress by trying to brute force it instead of trying to find a smarter or better way of learning or even daring to ask for help for fear of believing yourself a failure if you do. If Ermengardes free time is dominated by thoughts on School or learning as well, and never unwinds, then that is decidedly what I think is going on before going for the "Is an idiot" option.

Yeah, this is exactly my take.

And that's why I hope that further conversations with Ermengarde are possibly better for both her and Sara. Having zero confidence in your abilities and being frustrated in yourself because no one quite recognizes (and, thus, cannot help you with) why you're struggling is one of the worst feelings to have as a growing student.

Hmm. Maybe she has a fear of opening her imagination because she feels that she has to focus all the time on her studies, and she associates any hint of going astray or of a wandering mind as a detriment to a success that has so far eluded her grasp.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Re-reading the op, and hearing about Victorian England and the expectations put on young ladies, reminded me of the opening paragraph of Pride and Prejudice.

I haven't read that book since high school, and it didn't hold my interest (because I had to read it for class, which for me is a very high school attitude) but seeing a tiny bit more of that society through this game piques my interest. I feel like I should visit it again.

Now that I think about it, I might have a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies somewhere. I think I read about a fourth of it before having to shelve it due to lack of time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

Re-reading the op, and hearing about Victorian England and the expectations put on young ladies, reminded me of the opening paragraph of Pride and Prejudice.

I haven't read that book since high school, and it didn't hold my interest (because I had to read it for class, which for me is a very high school attitude) but seeing a tiny bit more of that society through this game piques my interest. I feel like I should visit it again.

Now that I think about it, I might have a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies somewhere. I think I read about a fourth of it before having to shelve it due to lack of time.
There is a pretty good six part mini series adaptation if you find it difficult to settle down with the real book. It's from 1995 but it's not like there's anything that could age poorly.

Koboje posted:

Totally agree with those thoughts. I'd really like to see Lavinia it but I don't want to leave Ermengarde alone in that position. :(

yamiaainferno posted:

Hey, no need for that. You've been a great participant and there's nothing wrong with having a concern and politely voicing it. That's great, and I was happy to address it. Between here and Beach a few people wanted clarification about what romance meant given the age of the characters-- and as I said on Beach, it probably would have been a good idea to add that info to the OP when it first came up, but I didn't really think about it. Since I was editing the OP anyway to address the "concerns", it seemed prudent to address actual concerns there at the same time. All shade is reserved for people who made weird assumptions and then psychoanalyzed me based off of them in multiple threads, in a part of the site that I didn't even know existed, instead of, you know, asking.

Apology not accepted, because you did nothing wrong. :glomp:
Thank you that means a lot to me.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 1, 2020

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Poil posted:

Same.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poil posted:

There is a pretty good six part mini series adaptation if you find it difficult to settle down with the real book. It's from 1995 but it's not like there's anything that could age poorly.

Well, the problem is less the content and more that I don't dedicate as much time nowadays to consuming fiction as I should. Seeing as how the length of my Netflix queue is only getting longer, even during the pandemic, is evidence of that. This thread helps to scratch that itch, for now.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone and welcome back to LLP, the let's play with footnotes! :eng101:

That's a lot of tea parties! For anyone wondering how I do this, and how tea party ended up with 4/5ths of the slots, I base it on percentages. Tea parties had 67% percent of the vote, writing in our diary 25%, and then dancing and playing with toys 4% each. Each slot is worth 20%-- so tea party automatically got 3 slots and writing 1, which left them with a remaining 7% and 5% of votes, respectively. Tea party, with the highest remaining percentage, got the last slot. I doubt anyone cares all that much, but I'm the kind of nerd who really likes spreadsheets and things.

As for the weekend, it was a close race between Ermengarde and Mariette, but Ermen won by a single vote.

And then he offered to take her away to his father's court, where he would make her his bride.
The maiden adored the prince, whose company had charmed her for so many hours, but she could not bear to leave her sisters without first telling them farewell. She bade the prince to leave and return again the next day to the place in the woods where they had met.
Sara did not read the words exactly as they were written, but put her own little touches upon the story to make it turn out the way that she preferred. It was not quite the same as telling her own stories, but Ermengarde still seemed nervous at the idea of stories that had not come from books at all. It was a first step.
Once he had gone, she rushed back to her home to take up her work at the wheel, planning to spin twice as fast to cover for her absence.
But when she sat down at the wheel, she was dismayed to find that her magic gold thread had lost all its brightness. Her heart beat fast and she wept bitterly, for she remembered her mother's warning and knew not what misfortune might now befall her. She was so afraid that she would be punished for what she had done that she ran away without telling anyone what had happened, not even her beloved sisters. She ran through the woods, looking for her prince, but he was on horseback and long since gone.

Thus the misfortune was complete.
She drowned!
Not quite.
Sara continued her story — how the maiden was transformed into a golden water-lily who sang in her sorrow, and how she was at last restored to life by the love of her sisters. Ermengarde sighed in contentment.
When I hear stories in your voice, I can almost see them happen. You are much better than books.
But what about the prince? Doesn't he marry her in the end?
He rode over the bridge by the river and heard her singing, but he didn't do anything to save her.
It was her sisters who loved her enough to look for her when she was lost.

Sara's story is a rendition of The Water-Lily, the Gold-Spinners (or simply The Gold-Spinners), an Estonian fairy tale most famously collected in The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang. This took a few attempts at keywords for me to find, and I also went to the effort of reading through the two English versions of the story on Wikipedia. Like many fairy tales, The Gold-Spinners is full of talking birds, people transforming into things, and women sitting around waiting for a dingbat prince to pull his thumbs out of his rear end. I don't think a single woman other than the antagonist takes any action of her own volition in the whole story, and it's ludicrous. Sara's version is much, much better.

There is a teeny, tiny hiccup in that The Blue Fairy book wasn't published until 1889, and is the first non-Estonian publication of the story as far as I can find, wheras I've taken A Little Princess (and therefore LLP) to be set in 1888.(1) Your continuity errors(2) will not escape me, Hanako Games!
:owned:

Anyone could be a hero, in the right circumstances.
I don't think I could.
Ermengarde looked around Sara's room, decorated as it was with the best of at least three countries: dependable England, refined France, and exotic India.
Do you miss being in India, Sara?
Yes, of course. It was my home, and I was happy there.
I had my house, and my pets, and my Ayah, and the skies were never foggy and grey like they are here in London. I loved living there. But I love it most of all because it is where my Papa will be.
Ermengarde saw Sara's face suddenly change. A cloud seemed to pass over it and put out the light in her shining eyes.
Have you a — a pain?
There was a moment of silence, in which Ermengarde worried that she might have spoken out of turn. But at last, Sara answered.

Her voice was low, and somewhat unsteady.
Do you love your father more than anything else in all the whole world?
Ermengarde's mouth fell open a little. She knew that it would not be correct for a respectable child at a select seminary to say that she did not adore her father; could not imagine being even so much as fond of him.
I — I scarcely ever see him.
In fact, she did her very best to avoid being left alone in his company for more than a few minutes. It was not a proper feeling for a daughter, perhaps, and it was clearly not something that Sara would understand. Ermengarde was, indeed, greatly embarrassed.
He is always in the library— reading things.
There was a wealth of information in that statement, if Sara had been inclined to decipher it, but she was too preoccupied with her own feelings.
I love mine more than all the world ten times over. That is what my pain is. He has gone away.
She put her head quietly down on her little, huddled-up knees, and sat very still for a few minutes. Ermengarde had an idea that if she had been like any other little girl, Sara might have suddenly burst out sobbing and crying. But she did not. Her short, black locks tumbled about her ears, and she sat still. Then she spoke without lifting her head.

Papa is a soldier, and think of what soldiers bear! If there was a war he would have to bear marching and thirstiness and, perhaps, deep wounds. And he would never say a word — not one word.
Ermengarde could only gaze at Sara, but she felt that she was beginning to adore her. She was so wonderful and different from anyone else. Presently, Sara lifted her face and shook back her black locks, with a queer little smile.
If I go on talking and talking, I shall bear it better. You don't forget, but you bear it better.
I — I will talk to you as much as you like, if it helps you.

:unsmith: Aw. Well, it's good to know that Sara is able to cope when she's feeling homesick, and that Ermengarde is here and happy to support her. Let's move on to the next scene.

The air smells very different when it has rained.
It still smells like London. There are too many people and chimneys and horses. I keep lavender sachets in my room so that I can smell the gardens, even when I'm away from home.
They — they're not much. My Aunt Eliza sent me the flowers. I stitched them myself.
We have lavender in India too.
Oh! But — isn't lavender an English flower? I thought everything in India would be... saffron, and spices.

:actually: Looking it up, no. While the most common species of lavender plant is called "English Lavender", it is actually native to the mediterranean, as all species seem to be. But why let facts get in the way of ethnocentric nomenclature?

Do you think that soldiers could be homesick?
Of course. Soldiers must be very brave, and bear all sorts of dangers and hardships, but that doesn't mean that they don't have feelings.
And we must be brave, too, even when we are far from the homes — and the people — that we love.
A carriage passed alongside Miss Minchin's students as they walked, seemingly packed to the walls with children. Eight of them, siblings all, and such a giggling mass of blond curls and rosy cheeks as Sara had never seen before. Their merriment was infectious, and Sara found that a smile had come unexpectedly to her face.

Pricked by the sight, Sara stepped out of line and carried her little coin-purse to the child.
Sara, wait! Where are you going?
Here is a Sixpence; go and buy yourself something warm.
She hurried back into formation, but not before her steps were noticed by Miss Minchin.

I only wished to —
Generosity is a virtue, but it is not wise or safe to come in close contact with creatures of the streets. You must be careful to clean yourself thoroughly when we return to the school.
Yes, Miss Minchin.
Sara looked back, but the beggar-child had already disappeared from sight.
(How strange, that one child should be hungry and dirty on the streets, while another rides in a fine carriage and knows nothing but joy and laughter. And all of these things happen quite by accident, because of the way that we are born.)

This thought would have been somewhat subversive in the Victorian era. Like now, there was a pervasive belief that if people were poor, even desperately so, it was their own fault and they could work their way to a comfortable life if they just tried. It's a convenient and attractive way of thinking, and one that never seems to go away no matter how much research proves it false.

Being poor at the time was borderline a criminal offense. The industrial revolution increased the urban population dramatically, leaving the poor more destitute and numerous than ever before seen. In response to this, welfare requirements were actually made stricter, almost prohibitively so. Any able-bodied person who wanted to receive aid was turned away and instead sent to a workhouse-- a prison-like factory where they were expected to live and work. Conditions were made intentionally worse to prevent people from "taking advantage". :capitalism:

By the late 19th century things had begun to improve in response to riots and calls for reform, but things were still worse for most impoverished people than before the industrial revolution had begun.

Sorry for the history lesson, but exactly one person said they enjoyed it, and I have taken that as an excuse to go off. Let's move on to the next scene, in which Lavinia continues her crusade to get the entire thread to hate her.

Don't be ridiculous.
Sara came into the room to find Lavinia perched primly in a window seat, looking down at the smaller child, whose lip was beginning to wobble.
Tybalt is in my lap, and he is perfectly content there. Listen; you can hear him purr. That is because I am stroking him, and he likes me.
I want to hold the kitty.
Keep your sticky little fingers away from his fur.
Lottie's brow furrowed in fierce determination. Ignoring Lavinia's commands, she reached out to pick up the cat.

This is not going to end well.

The sudden movement jostled Tybalt out of his comfortable doze. With a parting squeeze of his claws, he leapt from Lavinia's legs and hurried out of the room.
Now look what you’ve done, you little brat! He scratched me! And if he's damaged my dress —
It scratched you because you're mean. You wouldn’t even let me touch it! It isn't fair, it isn't!
A cat is not a ragdoll. You cannot snatch and tug at it as you please, or it will bite your hand. Is that too difficult for a child of eight to understand?

Yeah, so uh, Lottie is eight, apparently. Meaning my age estimate of five was quite considerably off the mark. To be fair, from what we've seen of her so far she certainly does act like a toddler, and not like an eight year old. Not that she deserved to be slapped, even just on the hand, by a girl almost twice her age, even so.

If she is eight, she is eight, but she will be nine the next year, and ten the year after that, and in twelve years she will be twenty, and that is quite grand.
Dear me, how we can calculate!
I don't want to be twenty.
You will be when you are, and you won’t be while you aren't, so there is no reason to want or not to want.
No! No! No!
Be quiet, or I shall slap your face!

:yikeseroo:

Lottie looked into Lavinia's blazing eyes, then ran from the room, wailing at the unfairness of it all.
You ought not to baby her, Sara. She must learn that she can't have everything her own way.
Privately, Sara thought that Lottie was not the only student at the school who might need to learn that lesson.

:sigh: Something tells me that Lavinia may be the very last route this thread explores.

Still no sign of our final route. Our belief is down quite a bit after Ermengarde's scene using up most of it, so we'll have to find +1 belief for Jessie's scene and +3 for Lottie's, if we choose either of those. Otherwise we meet all requirements. Remember to vote for activities and a scene, and if you please bold your votes to make them easier to count, I would appreciate it. see you next time!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

(1) A Little Princess (then called "Sara Crewe: or, What Happened at Miss Minchin's") was first published as a short story serialized in St. Nicholas Magazine, and completed in 1888. This is where I take the year from, because though no specific dates are ever given in the text, Burnett was presumably writing in the present, and that is when she finished the first version of the story. Though it wouldn't be fleshed out into the full novel until 1905, that year is right out as the setting because Queen Victoria, mentioned to be the Queen by Lavinia in Week 2, died in 1901.

(2) Admittedly, the novel takes place over at least 7 years wheras the game's timeframe has been considerably condensed-- probably to about one-- so the exact year of the game could reasonably range anywhere from 1881 to 1895, depending on if you take 1888 to be the year at the start of the novel or the end. I personally take it to be the latter, since I am getting the year from when Burnett finished writing, not when she began. Of course, as the times did not change nearly as quickly back in the day, the exact year has virtually no impact on the setting, and is only useful for quibbling about the inclusion of a story that was probably only picked because it involved lilies. All nitpicking is in good fun though, I assure you.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Diary, Diary, Diary and Jessie

Let's see what she's up to; she wasn't in this episode...

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I mean, Lavinia's not wrong about the cat, Lottie needs to learn to be gentle with him before she can hold Tybalt. She could have said it nicer though.

In that spirit I vote Lavinia.

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 6, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Senerio posted:

Diary, Diary, Diary and Jessie

Let's see what she's up to; she wasn't in this episode...

+1

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

yamiaainferno posted:

:sigh: Something tells me that Lavinia may be the very last route this thread explores.
She's second on my list. I would also like to spend more time with the maid. But I'm unsure how much we need to focus on any one route or if we can see the end of it and still do side meetings. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ermengarde needs a friend the most.
Diary, diary, tea party sounds good to me.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I'm good with whatever, because I'm voting for Mariette.

We should really see every first person except for maybe Lavinia

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I like all the background info that you're providing. Part of the enjoyment of LPs is getting a lot more information that I would if I played through the game normally. Just a little spice added to enhance the flavor. I also appreciate how Sara adds new things to stories that make them better. I really like how it was the sisters who were the saviors instead of the prince; go female empowerment!

And my vote is Mariette and Diary, Read, Tea Party.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
As much of a jerk as Lavinia is, I at least have some interest in seeing her scenes to find out what her deal is. Lottie, on the other hand, I have absolutely no desire to see more of. Seems like the writer of this game aged her up from the book version without changing anything at all about her behavior, which just makes her seem oddly immature and bratty.

Anyway, I'll also toss in a vote for Mariette.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Ghost Car posted:

As much of a jerk as Lavinia is, I at least have some interest in seeing her scenes to find out what her deal is. Lottie, on the other hand, I have absolutely no desire to see more of. Seems like the writer of this game aged her up from the book version without changing anything at all about her behavior, which just makes her seem oddly immature and bratty.

To be fair, Lottie's age ranged from 4 to 11 during the book, and her behavior remained more or less the same throughout. This particular scene with the cat did happen when she was four in the novel, though.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

yamiaainferno posted:

To be fair, Lottie's age ranged from 4 to 11 during the book, and her behavior remained more or less the same throughout. This particular scene with the cat did happen when she was four in the novel, though.

Ah, okay--my memories of the book are pretty vague and I forgot she never stopped acting like a four-year-old, so, not the game writer's fault. I appreciate the effort they're clearly putting in to flesh most of the characters out compared to the book versions, but I suppose with Lottie there's not much to work with. Anyway, the real point was that while I totally get why the thread hates Lavinia, I'd still vote for her before I'd vote for Lottie.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I'll vote for Lavinia because I think it'd be interesting for the thread to see a bit more of her before we all collectively decide she deserves to be thrown into the proverbial dumpster.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

:siren: TIE BREAK: SUDDEN DEATH :siren:

Lavinia and Mariette have received the same number of votes. Next vote, in either thread, decides.

Lavinia wins!

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 8, 2020

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Lavvie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Well since a vote has already been made, I'll withhold mine.

I will say, please keep giving history chats. I love reading those in LPs. :allears: