Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh my god get the gently caress over your persecution complexes there will not be 3 SEC teams in the inaugural playoff. It's not Mark May and Lou Holtz handpicking this poo poo. Two of the 13 selection committee members have direct SEC ties, and neither of the teams they're associated with are going to be in the running (sorry, Ole Miss.) There is no reason to expect Pat Haden and Barry Alvarez and Oliver Luck are gonna get stars in their eyes for a two-loss A&M or whoever the gently caress you're preemptively crying about in Week loving 6. If anything, I'd bet they go super conservative the first time around and focus on conference champions if at all plausible, and any second-in-their-conference team that gets in will be like a blindingly obvious choice that no one outside of the "SEC sucks" circlejerk could possibly get mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh my god get the gently caress over your persecution complexes there will not be 3 SEC teams in the inaugural playoff. It's not Mark May and Lou Holtz handpicking this poo poo. Two of the 13 selection committee members have direct SEC ties, and neither of the teams they're associated with are going to be in the running (sorry, Ole Miss.) There is no reason to expect Pat Haden and Barry Alvarez and Oliver Luck are gonna get stars in their eyes for a two-loss A&M or whoever the gently caress you're preemptively crying about in Week loving 6. If anything, I'd bet they go super conservative the first time around and focus on conference champions if at all plausible, and any second-in-their-conference team that gets in will be like a blindingly obvious choice that no one outside of the "SEC sucks" circlejerk could possibly get mad about.

Hey

the SEC sucks

go B1G :smugbird:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bama championship games suck, hail chaos.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I still think Ohio State can get in the playoff by winning out. Especially if Barrett keeps getting way better as the season goes on. I think, of anyone, they have the best "different team at the end of the season" case because of Braxton, even if that's not necessarily the truth.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DJExile posted:

this is kind of assuming the B1G was starting from any position of strength, through :v:

Crazy poo poo happens all the time in college football. If you can get through a P5 conference unbeaten there can be no team that is clearly out of your league. The SEC West certainly appeared way tougher than the ACC last year, but FSU still beat a 1-loss Auburn. For that matter a Bama team with one extremely flukey loss was beaten convincingly by a 2-loss Oklahoma.

If you start with the assumption that the SEC is significantly better than every other conference, you can easily make the argument that Bama and Auburn both had better resumes than FSU last year. So why not put them in a rematch for the NC and let the self-fulfilling prophecy continue? Because that's dumb and boring, that's why.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Oregon is always going to get the best effort from the teams they play, too bad it's a toss-up as to what Oregon team you get week to week.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
For the OP

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I really wish they could have just agreed on conference champs only in the playoffs, end of discussion, because I'm already loving sick of this argument.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There should just be 4 SEC teams in the inaugural playoff so we can finally disband from the NCAA and create our own league where good football is played all the time. :getin:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

vyst posted:

There should just be 4 SEC teams in the inaugural playoff so we can finally disband from the NCAA and create our own league where good football is played all the time. :getin:

Are we dissolving the East in this scenario?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Hey

the SEC sucks

go B1G :smugbird:

commy gun posted:

I dislike these posts. :colbert:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

DocPsychosis posted:

Maybe a bad rule but a good call, given the situation is explicitly described in the NCAA officiating rules:

How did they decide to group "going into the stands" and "bowing at the waist" together

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Groucho Marxist posted:

Are we dissolving the East in this scenario?

No just replacing them with good teams
South Carolina: replaced with East Carolina
Kentucky->Louisville
Vandy->Duke (still the bottom feeder but actually able to execute plays)
Florida->Florida State
Tennessee->Baylor (gently caress your conceptions of cardinal directions)
Georgia-> Georgia State

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
you forgot to replace mizzou with indiana

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Teams that lose to Indiana don't deserve to be remembered

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The SEC East will rise again. The west was a clear subordinate from like 92 until 2008. Mississippi St and Bama remained good in the 90s, then fell off in the 00s. LSU was awful until 03. Spurrier dumped points all over DiNardo and Saban while he was there. Ole Miss had a bright spot with Cutcliffe/Manning, but they were too stupid to hold on. Auburn got screwed in 04, but mostly played spoiler until the past few years.

During that time UF/UT/UGA ruled the East and were contenders every year.

commy gun posted:

They've got about as much entertainment value as the Nazis invading Sudetenland.

Cold, efficient, and boring to watch.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Emron posted:

I dislike these posts. :colbert:

Minnesota beat you in a bowl a few years ago and you must atone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Alabama fans desperately trying to defend that awful slog against LSU with the ever reliable "well sorry you're not a REAL football fan who likes REAL defense" argument was fun.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Alabama fans desperately trying to defend that awful slog against LSU with the ever reliable "well sorry you're not a REAL football fan who likes REAL defense" argument was fun.

They didn't even deserve to play in the loving game. GAWD.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

every conference sucks except MACtion

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

That game sucked, dude.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

They didn't even deserve to play in the loving game. GAWD.

That's a really weird argument to make about the team that wins, regardless of circumstances.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

That's a really weird argument to make about the team that wins, regardless of circumstances.

They already lost 9-6. And didn't even win their division.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

They already lost 9-6. And didn't even win their division.

Us falling rear end backwards into the NCG is a 2010s tradition.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Emron posted:

Us falling rear end backwards into the NCG is a 2010s tradition.

Two might not make it a 'tradition,' but I personally prefer you guys being emasculated in the Sugar Bowl by inferior talent. You should do that more.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Two might not make it a 'tradition,' but I personally prefer you guys being emasculated in the Sugar Bowl by inferior talent. You should do that more.

That only happens when we have a heartbreaking loss to auburn at the end of the year, so I'm not a fan of that one.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Raku posted:

Georgia-> Georgia Southern

I see you made an omission, I fixed this for you.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Serious post: us getting dunked on by Oklahoma last year hurt way less than watching that guy make the very first cut on the Kick Six and knowing he was taking it all the way. Go ahead and savor my tears, that was definitely the most crushed I've ever been as a Bama fan.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Emron posted:

Serious post: us getting dunked on by Oklahoma last year hurt way less than watching that guy make the very first cut on the Kick Six and knowing he was taking it all the way. Go ahead and savor my tears, that was definitely the most crushed I've ever been as a Bama fan.

As soon as I saw your block team just falling all over themselves, I knew it was over. That was the most exciting 20 or so seconds of football I have ever seen. So amazing.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Korranus posted:

I see you made an omission, I fixed this for you.

You might want to check again

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
The worst part about losing on the Kick Six wasn't even the fact that we lost. Teams lose games, it's a fact of life. No team can win all their games and no team can always beat their rival (Unless it's Georgia vs Georgia Tech). It's sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

No, the worst part about losing the game in that manner was the litany of Auburn fans and people I know personally that chalked it up to actual divine intervention because AU fans are "more Godly people." Using poo poo like #godthing on Twitter and the like was absolutely the most infuriating thing about that event. Like Emron, enjoy my tears, they are infused with bitterness and malice.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
you can think bama championship games are boring while u kiss the rings bitches

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

you can think bama championship games are boring while u kiss the rings bitches

The real ones, or the imaginary ones?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
For the record I would much rather not talk or even think about whether the SEC is better than everyone else and how much better and which teams that applies to and whatnot. I just can't help myself because over the last 2-3 years it has become practically impossible to watch college football with the sound on and not hear about it ad nauseam. Even this would be tolerable if hype was not literally the sole factor determining who gets a shot at the championship.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Raku posted:

Teams that lose to Indiana don't deserve to be remembered

Interesting because I can't remember too many teams they have beaten.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

Man I don't know who Bill Mallory is but dude should have a statue built somewhere on Indiana's campus.

6 bowl games in 13 years, that's like Nick Saban levels of success when you adjust for the school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Elephanthead posted:

James Hardy still haunts me.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'd buy anti-SEC arguments if the conference didn't keep demonstrating overwhelmingly how boss it is. What are the biggest feathers in anti-SEC caps over the last half-decade? Name 'em, and realize what's what.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

D.N. Nation posted:

I'd buy anti-SEC arguments if the conference didn't keep demonstrating overwhelmingly how boss it is. What are the biggest feathers in anti-SEC caps over the last half-decade? Name 'em, and realize what's what.

The results have played out that the SEC is the best conference in the nation since, oh, around 2006 or so, and most of the anti-SEC brigade will fully admit that. The problem is not that they're not the most dominant conference, it's that they're not quite as good as the media tends to make them out to be.

The lower end of the SEC has been just as bad as or worse than the lower end of the Big Ten. The middle of the SEC was not as good as the middle of the Big XII. Two historically middling Big XII teams have shaken up the entire foundation of the SEC "we play great defense" mindset. The top of the SEC might have 2 more teams than their competitor conference (say 4 great teams instead of 2), but that's offset by how not good their #6-#10 have been.

This year, things may be a bit anomalous as only OU, Baylor, and FSU (barely) have lived up to their preseason hype. The middle of the Big XII has problems (OSU doesn't have a QB, TTU doesn't have a defense, UT doesn't have an offense, KSU hasn't been as consistent as normal, WVU might be good but we don't know because they haven't played anyone outside of the top 10, TCU might be good but we don't know because they haven't played anyone out of the bottom 20 or the Big Ten). The top of the Pac 12 has problems (Stanford has no redzone offense, Oregon no offensive line, USC lost to Boston College, UCLA has looked poor at times, Arizona can't pull away from anyone), the Big Ten and the ACC have no one outside of FSU & Notre Dame.

So yes, the SEC is good, but they're not nearly as dominant as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The SEC is great, but it's not SUPER great. There's a lot of harrumph! about that argument.

• Locked thread