Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's only August OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

august is the official start of christmas season

though personally i wait until the end of hurricane season to put out the decorations

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

They picked the Friday after Thanksgiving because aside from turkeys, Thanksgiving doesn't really have a lot of tie-in merchandise to push like the other major holidays.

there's a cornucopia store a few blocks from my house that makes bank on thanksgiving

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I prefer Brown Wednesday

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I prefer Brown Wednesday

im careful with how i use the calendar where im from tbh

boston is crazy

E: the only times i've ever heard this used in the wild were in jail(white gang leader stereotype saying it) and when that cop said it to carl crawford

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 3, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Worf posted:

im careful with how i use the calendar where im from tbh

boston is crazy

E: the only times i've ever heard this used in the wild were in jail(white gang leader stereotype saying it) and when that cop said it to carl crawford

Huh. I have never heard this before in my life.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Up until a year ago I worked at Target HQ in pricing and promotions and I think I can shed some light on the issue.
Black Friday still by far the largest concentration of promotional activity (read: price cuts) of the entire year. But a number of issues have conspired to reduce overall promotional activity in the last few years.
Firstly, the pandemic. Since the first week of the pandy, we were running 25-30% comps which means we were seeing 25-30% dollar sales increases over the previous year. Since supply chains have a typical duration of 6 months for import items and there was strain on global supply chains target was stuck in an interesting position. We were selling a LOT more and were able to procure a lot less. The worst thing that can happen for you in retail in America is having empty shelves. When 'the guest' walks into the door the single greatest impact on her opinion (yes we used gendered pronouns for the guest; women make 85% of retail decisions in the us) is weather there is the perception of choose or abundance.
Normally you would just raise prices but that would be a bad look and invite governmental intervention possibly so instead of doing that we merely reduced our markdowns to as close to zero as possible.
That means eliminating the newspaper insert for black Friday and severe limitations on what merch teams were allowed to spend in terms of promotional activity. I would expect this year to be significantly better than the preceding 3.
Here's a list of vendors that will basically always have good black Friday deals:
KitchenAid
Ninja/shark
Dyson
Keurig
TV's (TV's are sold at a loss during bf)
Dash
You get the idea.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah it's about quarters and that quarter doesn't have anything or something

Retail q4 runs from Nov week 1 to Jan week 4 or 5. It's more about how a bunch of years ago genius department stores figured out people responded to limited sales at the beginning of the Christmas gifting season and setting it back from Christmas by that much increased total spending for the season. As long as the year ties out (hence the name black Friday) we're good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Huh. I have never heard this before in my life.

neither did the black teenagers that the mid 30s gang people that used it in jail on

i had to explain it to them that they were being racisted against, to the dismay of the people with swastika tattoos who thought they were somehow incognito lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are we all too good for a great deal now? We're all doing so well that we wouldn't deign to stoop down and pick up a fantastic bargain? No we'd rather pay three times as much online and give Jeff Bezos his cut.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are we all too good for a great deal now? We're all doing so well that we wouldn't deign to stoop down and pick up a fantastic bargain? No we'd rather pay three times as much online and give Jeff Bezos his cut.

Some people can just literally do without lol

Kind of ironic coming from the same forum it would make fun of people for "not even owning a TV"

I think a lot of us are too good to perpetuate cycles that are toxic to the employees that have to work them, maybe

Maybe we don't like jumping through hoops to save a marginal amount of money on most items

There's really a ton of reasons to dislike this form of toxic capitalism You really just have to find one that doesn't involve being an absolute prick

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Worf posted:

Some people can just literally do without lol

Kind of ironic coming from the same forum it would make fun of people for "not even owning a TV"

I think a lot of us are too good to perpetuate cycles that are toxic to the employees that have to work them, maybe

Maybe we don't like jumping through hoops to save a marginal amount of money on most items

There's really a ton of reasons to dislike this form of toxic capitalism You really just have to find one that doesn't involve being an absolute prick

it's just a seasonal sale .. not whatever the hell this is lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think it's somewhere in between

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's too loving crowded and now there's a plague. The sales also last for longer. I think.

Also it's a holiday so lots of pigs out looking to steal from motorists.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
It’s worth for watching the Black Friday fight compilations.

Real talk there’s a competing campaign for making the day after Thanksgiving the Buy Nothing Day and honestly that’s even cooler than buying some dumb TV specially built to be sold on BF.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lil poopendorfer posted:

it's just a seasonal sale .

Oh I agree, definitely not worth separating families during a holiday so people can go work under paid jobs

And definitely not worth jostling with crowds or waiting in line for

Think of how early some of those places open or used to open, nobody should have to do that to go satiate some consumer desire and rabid holiday season

It's actually really disgusting if you start to empathize with the people that have to work those things at the ground level 🤷‍♀️

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pro move is staying home and buying stuff on your computer

Edit: or ipad

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A few Thanksgivings ago we were visiting my wife's family in MA. On the way back from her father's, she wanted to browse at the Lego store of a nearby mall. It wasn't until I was about to turn into the parking lot that I had a panic of "Holy poo poo! Today is Black Friday!" followed by a reassuring thought of "Well yes, but it's 2pm in the afternoon. All of the die-hards and items from sales this morning are long gone, so it won't be so bad." Naive but based on a couple of I-forgot-today-was-Black-Friday drives in my neck of VT, those malls and stores were indeed dead by that time of day.

:wrong:
I dropped her and our son off at an entrance and told them I'd meet them inside. After about two hours of driving and not finding any parking between the lot and huge garage, I picked them up from the same entrance.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Borscht posted:

women make 85% of retail decisions in the us

this sounds like the results of a survey of boomer men complaining about their wives

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I bought a pair of $2000 speakers at $700. They’re the bee’s knees and you’re missing out OP

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever in my life gone out to shop on Black Friday. I did see the other side of though working at Target in the mid 90's. That was fun.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When is Black Friday again?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

When is Black Friday again?

it's a random;y selected friday in november. i don't know which one and i'm not looking it up. sorry

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cheesus posted:

A few Thanksgivings ago we were visiting my wife's family in MA. On the way back from her father's, she wanted to browse at the Lego store of a nearby mall. It wasn't until I was about to turn into the parking lot that I had a panic of "Holy poo poo! Today is Black Friday!" followed by a reassuring thought of "Well yes, but it's 2pm in the afternoon. All of the die-hards and items from sales this morning are long gone, so it won't be so bad." Naive but based on a couple of I-forgot-today-was-Black-Friday drives in my neck of VT, those malls and stores were indeed dead by that time of day.

:wrong:
I dropped her and our son off at an entrance and told them I'd meet them inside. After about two hours of driving and not finding any parking between the lot and huge garage, I picked them up from the same entrance.

burlington or natick lol

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Of course it's worth being in a press of a crowd in front of Wal-Mart doors to save 10% on an objectively terrible flatscreen TV with forced motion smoothing during two pandemics and risk being trampled to get the one of ten they have which are still hideously overpriced even on discount. What are you? Stupid or un-American?

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 3, 2022

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I thought everyone understood that black Friday sales are the same garbage sales you can get all year that you already didn't want.
except for a handful of items that get a bigger discount, usually low quality and in short supply.

Edit: 25 years ago I bought a computer monitor that was incorrectly marked at a door buster price and the cashier gave no fucks, so I got a really good deal on that, so actually black Friday rules and is great

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 3, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Black Friday has been dead here for the past 4 years or so.

My mom used to plan out routes in excruciating detail, and now we just meet up around lunch and walk through the few places that actually have reasonable deals in quantity.

Definitely agree on not buying appliances or tvs on BF. Every one I've been given was complete poo poo.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Worf posted:

burlington or natick lol
It was indeed Natick.

So it's not just BF but always insane?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I still use the same tv I bought in 2006. Why are people needing so many new tv's so often? Y'all must be hard on your screens.

I got this here Toshiba, 36 inches, 720p, for 315 Canadian loonies Inc that drat recycling fee or what have you. Still looks plenty nice and works like a charm. drat site more reliable than computer monitors, those devils seem to die on me every 5 years or so. Well see how long this BenQ thing lasts. Pff phone auto capitalizes the Q. Shitters.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 3, 2022

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think the driving factor is smart TVs, and people deciding they want smart TVs, and then they get one and realize that all smart TV features are terrible without exception. Then they sit there hoping this TV will break so they can get a different smart TV

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Real answer: I want a 4K OLED

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cheesus posted:

It was indeed Natick.

So it's not just BF but always insane?

It's probably pretty normal most of the time, I went to that mall as a kid and also worked there when I was younger. Interestingly enough my family's construction company also had a contract there to do some work that I also worked on lol

I didn't even work a year at that job there but I did work a Black Friday and it was an absolute shitshow for parking

I don't think it was actually Black Friday proper but sometime in that vicinity was literally the only time at that job I ever was even late for work and it was under a minute, dude still actually managed to get pissy about it

That was the last time I ever worked retail actually or would ever. Driving around for an hour in a parking area, unpaid with no fuel reimbursement lmfao

Also realistically there's only two malls that would be worth going to on Black Friday that you would really have that parking experience 🤷‍♀️ If you had told me you tried to drive to Cambridgeside galleria on Black Friday your story probably wouldn't have had a happy ending lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are decent dumb tvs ever going to be a thing again?

like all the nerds online say either just buy the least terrible smart tv and just dont connect it to your network and hope it doesnt nag about connectivity too much. or buy a industrial display.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My old Vizio kept sending out messages saying they were no longer supporting certain channels apps and services and then also it got very slow to respond so I bought a new one that is my story

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I am thinking of next Gen TV, yes. But as I said, there are great deals out there already. And it got me thinking, why do people even wait for BF.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
why is there no white friday. very disrespectful!!! sad!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

are decent dumb tvs ever going to be a thing again?

like all the nerds online say either just buy the least terrible smart tv and just dont connect it to your network and hope it doesnt nag about connectivity too much. or buy a industrial display.

lol is this for real. gently caress me. my 15 year old samsung just bit the dust and i need a new one. can i seriously not just get an ordinary display without a whole bunch of bullshit in it these days?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

My current TV is a 50" plasma :science:

Hoo boy does it get hot

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
remember curved TVs i mean lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

3D TVs and Blu-Ray movies, too. I see a lot of older 3D titles for a few bucks at Big Lots because lmao.