Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pretty straight forward.

My experience has been, as of the past... say... 3 to 5 years? That the black Friday ⚫️ items and sales aren't that good.

Doubly so when you compare what's normally available year round, and TRIPLY SO if you consider the sales you can find from slick deals dot cam.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure I'm not off base here, before I stop holding off on certain purchases, hoping for a "good" black Friday🕳 deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
No, going to it just encourages retailers to torture their employees more.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
THe deals on power tools and hand tools at the home centers are pretty good. Worth stocking up on at that point, IMO

e: to be clear, it's a 'black Friday' sale that takes place all week. Black Friday sales haven't been good ever since that womn got trampled and they stopped letting you line up at the doors to rush in like a stampede and race to the big ticket items

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 3, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
it's weird that it's named after robinson crusoe's friend

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

for so long i wondered how they picked that particular friday, just a random friday in november. why is that retail sales day? until i was older and learned it was another american thing lmao. america is so hosed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No OP

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

lil poopendorfer posted:

Black Friday sales haven't been good ever since that womn got trampled and they stopped letting you line up at the doors to rush in like a stampede and race to the big ticket items

It’s kinda strange that I have a nostalgic fondness for the trampling and stampeding Black Friday days; not so much for being in them, but seeing videos of people being animals during them.

I haven’t participated in an early Black Friday sale in probably 15 years or so because the sales last throughout the day at most retailers and it’s not worth it to be there at 4 AM. I’ll casually go in around noon, get what I wanted, and go home. Easy peasy.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Like... there's a nice TV for sale right now... a Samsung with UHD crystals or some poo poo. For like... 600 bux. Thats fine.

That's a totally good deal.
I very much doubt it would be really worth it to wait months to get... what? Maybe 100 more dollars off?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
You can use Black Friday to buy a lovely Hisense TV to replace the lovely Hisense TV that you bought last year at Black Friday.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

for so long i wondered how they picked that particular friday, just a random friday in november. why is that retail sales day? until i was older and learned it was another american thing lmao. america is so hosed

They picked the Friday after Thanksgiving because aside from turkeys, Thanksgiving doesn't really have a lot of tie-in merchandise to push like the other major holidays.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah it's about quarters and that quarter doesn't have anything or something

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

They picked the Friday after Thanksgiving because aside from turkeys, Thanksgiving doesn't really have a lot of tie-in merchandise to push like the other major holidays.

i had no idea there was an american thanksgiving as well until later in life

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

it's not random, its the end of the fall holiday season and the official first day of christmas shopping season

err i mean christmas season

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

it's not random, its the end of the fall holiday season and the official first day of christmas shopping season

err i mean christmas season

oh word

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Please don't be mean to Dr. Butt.
They're trying their best.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It’s the only day of the year you’re allowed to bash someone to death. Any other day and you’re only allowed to kill them with covid.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it was never worth it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

CostCo has amazing deals on kimchi for Black Friday, you can get like a 6 month supply for $30

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it was never worth it

Eh not for everyone but I've gotten some very good deals over the years

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it was never worth it

Accurate.

Like ten years or so ago when I worked at Sears we brought in the shittiest electronics that we normally didn't even carry to sell on Black Friday. Like we'd have all this extraneous stock of absolute poo poo product that would come in a week or two before.

Which was appropriate as I've never seen shittier people than the customers that shopped on Black Friday. They deserved that trash.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cyber Monday is where it's at

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they removed that holiday from the school curriculum here in FL

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Was never worth it

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
it's for people who to home depot and get a 2x1 piece of lumber and put it in a plastic bag and then take a picture posing with it in the parking lot

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Cyber Monday is where it's at

:hmmyes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you need a new phone, then yeah.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thanksgiving celebrates genocide and Black Friday perpetuates it

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The one day they lower their prices to the MSRP as opposed to the other 364 days where they mark them up 15% so that the vice presidents of the company can pay off their sons' BMWs, rental houses and university tuition without having to think about it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
In terms of just showing up for when a large retail store opens and buying random poo poo, it hasn't really been worth it since like the early 90s, OP. There are still deals out there, but they're on specific items that the store will advertise beforehand. Like 2 or 3 select models TVs might be 60% off but all the other TVs will be at normal price. I guess just look at their website before you go.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The retailers have learned that regular deals will suffice because people will come out not matter what. There will be some doorbuster where there’s only 5 in stock, and the only other good deals are bundles which require you to buy 5 items you wouldn’t otherwise buy in addition.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Capitalism bad, and all that...

Sure...

But uh,

I still wanna get a good deal on a new tv.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It was never worth it, and now 2.5 years into a global pandemic that will not end it's even less worth it hth

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

capitalism is actually extremely win and i love to consume

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I love to excrete

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

I love to excrete

Same. It's my 3rd favourite thing to do.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
number 2 for me

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

capitalism is actually extremely win and i love to consume

You've changed my mind.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Check the UPC before you ever buy a TV or anything like that on BF. If you ever see one for super cheap it’s probably a Black Friday exclusive model with a shittier panel/lower quality electronics

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The last time I went to the shops on Black Friday it was a little bit busier but not completely awful, but I left anyway because screw that. I realised later it was Black Friday.

I think the Black Friday akin to the purge is a uniquely American experience and one I hope to experience in a visit if I'm ever diagnosed with something terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's nice that they gave it a tragic name ahead of time, anticipating the many trampling deaths that would occur on the holiday