Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

public transit should cost more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cenotaph posted:

I cannot find the relevant section in Helen Yaffe's We Are Cuba because my ereader can't search for "bus" without giving me every instance of business and Bush in the entire book, but I'm reasonably certain that Castro argued against free busses because people would hop on for two blocks and slow down the route, so they instead charged a nominal fee. This obviously doesn't apply to trains that make stops at set points. Seems to work for the Cubans.

I searched for bus and couldn't find the section you were talking about. There were a bunch of sections about fuel for bus's being scarce.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
we should abolish all state based transportation systems. without the nanny state telling me what side of the road to drive on or when to stop and go I could half my travel time.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FacelessVoid posted:

we should abolish all state based transportation systems. without the nanny state telling me what side of the road to drive on or when to stop and go I could half my travel time.

I had a friend who spent a few years in Cambodia and he told me that you always had to treat rural intersections like four way stops regardless of signals or signage because otherwise you’d get tboned

As to whether that’s true idk but that’s an accurate account of what I was told so help me god

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

cenotaph posted:

I cannot find the relevant section in Helen Yaffe's We Are Cuba because my ereader can't search for "bus" without giving me every instance of business and Bush in the entire book, but I'm reasonably certain that Castro argued against free busses because people would hop on for two blocks and slow down the route, so they instead charged a nominal fee. This obviously doesn't apply to trains that make stops at set points. Seems to work for the Cubans.

I can't speak for Castro, but in mainland BC the bus tap cards are for a time and zone so for a couple bucks you can hop on and off as many times you want within 90 minutes. It's pretty convenient for shopping or running multiple errands. Esp since the Skytrain is included.

Here on the island the busses all require exact change in cash. It's a huge pain if you don't take the bus exclusively and results in creating another barrier for people to choose transit. I would happily pay a higher fare for the ability to use a tap card system vs cash.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I searched for bus and couldn't find the section you were talking about. There were a bunch of sections about fuel for bus's being scarce.

Yeah, and they would weld extra benches on the back to fit more people and stuff like that. They got very creative during the special period.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
going to become a bus driver so i can get paid for being on public transit :DD

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

going to become a bus driver so i can get paid for being on public transit :DD

i'm going to arrest you for embus-zlement

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Hi, I plan to use free public transit to reach your suburban home, have my way with your grandmother (consensually), take your 85 inch google tv, skin your Pomeranian and make it into a handbag for my transgender wife, and later I'll do voter fraud at YOUR polling booths.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Hi, I plan to use free public transit to reach your suburban home, have my way with your grandmother (consensually), take your 85 inch google tv, skin your Pomeranian and make it into a handbag for my transgender wife, and later I'll do voter fraud at YOUR polling booths.

Don’t stop, I’m close.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Here's some pubic transit for you op

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Transit in general should be illegal. Like wtf are you up to. Where are you going

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SorePotato posted:

Transit in general should be illegal. Like wtf are you up to. Where are you going

i agree, more staying put

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

U got it op. I'll have it done by monday

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

there should be a thread where we can put in requests to pentecoastal elites

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SorePotato posted:

Going to computer

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Public transit should only take people from crack dens to suburban cul-de-sacs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there should be international conveyor belts i can sit or stand on to travel to other cities or countries

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They increased my train price from 4 euro to 4.05 euro. I believe they did this solely to add more coins to my wallet when I try to pay with cash. It's a ploy by Big Coin.
Also, the machine doesn't take the 1-cent or 2-cent euro coins - just abolish them. Why do you need a 2-cent euro coin? Just use two 1-cent coins! Big Coin strikes again.
Big Small Coin.

Thank you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, and they would weld extra benches on the back to fit more people and stuff like that. They got very creative during the special period.

I'll for it again today. I do need to do a reread of the book.

If anyone hasn't read it, I can't recommend it enough. It talks about Cuba's development from their independence till about now.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Hi, I plan to use free public transit to reach your suburban home, have my way with your grandmother (consensually), take your 85 inch google tv, skin your Pomeranian (also consensually) and make it into a handbag for my transgender wife, and later I'll do voter fraud at YOUR polling booths.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

transit lied john henry died

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. Killjoy posted:

ok so spekaing of voting, are you running for president because you've got mine

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sic transit transit publicae

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should put up those glass walls in more American subway systems its honestly shocking more people arent falling in front of trains

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The college town where I used to live did something cool. There's a freight train running through town, so they took the empty fields and stuff next to the tracks, like the train's right-of-way or w/e, and put in a dedicated road for a bus. They made it a "high speed" bus, meaning it stops like once every half mile, not on every corner. And they made it free to college students and employees. In theory everyone else is supposed to buy a pass, but far as I could tell they never ever check. Homeless people rode it all the time. And there was a bus every 10 minutes, so you didn't have to worry about memorizing a schedule or missing the bus and having to wait an hour. It was funny how full it always was, compared to the regular city bus where you have to pay a fare and get a little paper transfer, etc. Those were mostly empty.

I kind of feel like that's the best you can do in America, where we hate trains.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It used to be free downtown here but they got rid of that years ago, r.i.p.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I ride the free lines whenever I can.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pretty ableist to expect me to share a bus with broke people.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

I kind of feel like that's the best you can do in America, where we hate trains.

Trains want stricter guns laws.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

why does OP want to give Donald Trump and Mike Bloomberg something for free? They don't need free public transit, they can afford to pay!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think public transit should be free but only for Donald Trump and Mike Bloomberg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think public transit should be free but only for Donald Trump and Mike Bloomberg

this

they should be forced to sit next to the dude blasting music from his iphone

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

why does OP want to give Donald Trump and Mike Bloomberg something for free? They don't need free public transit, they can afford to pay!

Clearly a means-tested transit pass of some kind is needed. We should form an exploratory committee to address the possibility of forming a body to adjudicate this.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We should use zeppelins for transit again

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

We should use zeppelins for transit again

just what i'd expect from the orc forum :rolleyes:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
la metro was free for roni and it owned

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/mayor-adams-headphones-subway-crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Go ride the DC/NY metro then look yourself in the mirror with a straight face and tell yourself the barrier of entry should be lowered