Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Newsweek did the one thing reddit finds immoral, which is doxxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
i am pretty sure you can dubble spend with the official bitcoind if you give it the raw transactions

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
feels like we've not had an update from our friend BFL Josh in a while:

04 March 2014 - Monarch Update

Power & Performance better than expected
The initial power consumption numbers for Monarch are in and they're about 20% better than anticipated, meaning we expect the Monarch to consume 0.45W/GH at the chip level. This translates to about 300W per 600GH at the wall. Chip performance of all systems is as good as or better than predicted. To put this in perspective, this makes the Monarch chip nearly twice as power efficient as compared to our 28nm competition whose products operate between 0.9 and 1.0w per GH at the wall.

Chip Delay
The initial batch that we currently have in hand is not suitable to ship to customers. This is due to a problem in a top metal layer of the chip that prevents some engines from initializing when the chip is first powered on. (With ASIC design, there are a number of layers to a chip; most of those layers are in silicon, but the last few layers are in a special type of metal. Subsequent batches were held in wait just prior to the metal layers so that we could affect any necessary changes and proceed with chip production from that point, drastically reducing the time it takes to bring a new batch of chips to life.) The problem was positively identified and the fix is already in progress; however it will take approximately 5 weeks before we get packaged chips in hand, meaning the deployment of the Monarch will be delayed about 5 weeks from now. The specific date is still being determined, but I wanted to get an update out as soon as possible.

Refunds & Delay Compensation

Because of the delay, we're offering several different forms of compensation that vary based on order pricing and order date:

$4680 600GH Monarchs

Free performance upgrades
All customers who ordered 600GH Monarchs prior to the price decrease on November 28, 2013 will be upgraded to the Imperial Monarch product, which is a new, high performance version of the card. The Imperial Monarch will operate at 1 TH/s (+ / - 20%).

Six Month Refund or Double Shipment Guarantee
If you’ve been waiting in queue for six months or more, you qualify for either a full refund in USD, OR double the hardware you ordered. This latter option will come in the form of (a) first shipping you the new Imperial Monarch, giving you an expected 160-175% of your ordered hashrate, and then (b) an additional Standard 600 GH Monarch at the end of the queue, giving you another 100% hashrate boost, totaling an expected 250+% of your ordered hashrate once all products have shipped. (Note: Electing the refund cancels the Imperial Monarch upgrade offer in the first section above.)

50% off Voucher
If your paid order is less than 6 months old but you paid $4680 for your Monarch, you will instead receive an Imperial Monarch as described above, as well as a 50% off discount on an additional Standard Monarch at the end of the queue.

Full Price 300GH Monarchs
For 300GH Monarch orders, similar but slightly different offers will be extended. Customers will be contacted with specifics via email soon.

Mining By the GigaHash
If your Mining By the GH paid order is more than 6 months old, you will receive 2x the hashrate purchased.

Reduced Price Orders
Individual orders that are less than 6 months old and that paid for the reduced price 600GH or 300GH Monarch will likely not be delayed past the expected delivery date.

. Details specific to each of the above order categories will be communicated to eligible customers via email in the next few days. We hope everyone will remain in the order queue and take delivery of these extremely power-efficient, super-fast miners. But, cognizant of the feedback of our earlier 65nm customers, for those qualified buyers who desire a refund we will gladly issue you one.

Refunds will be issued in 30 to 45 days from the date of request of refund. Refunds will be in USD.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gavin (i think he's one of the devs) confirmed its real on twitter

it's happening dot gif

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leah McGrath Goodman - Author of Newsweek piece on Satoshi Nakamoto (video.cnbc.com)
submitted 8 minutes ago by bubbasparse

[–]newhampshire22 2 points 6 minutes ago
Where does Leah McGrath live?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zokie posted:

So Satoshi Nakamoto is a Japanese immigrant to the USA that got pissed over how hard it was to buy model trains from England. So he made BitCoin

http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-satoshi-nakamoto.html

im the libertarian who made his career working for classified government funded aerospace / military projects

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
don't have a newsweek subscription and work network has already read the whopping five free articles per month before you hit a paywall, is it actually worth reading later or is it the same as the other "well, this guy loves banks AND computers, and is a dork, so" articles that were around a while back

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

so we need 6 more confirmations to make it official?

Unfortunately due to death malleability some dude faked his death a bunch of times in order to steal butts. And then died for real

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
by loves banks i mean loved working for banks, until he didn't, so he made his own currency like the theory behind the uk/irish students

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Alan Smithee posted:

Unfortunately due to death malleability some dude faked his death a bunch of times in order to steal butts. And then died for real

hail jesus

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JFairfax posted:

im the libertarian who made his career working for classified government funded aerospace / military projects
im the guys in the comments who realized the brilliant pseudonymous activist-hacker whiz-kid working to fight the system that they'd built up in their heads and mythologised was actually just their greybeard libertarian rear end in a top hat coworker

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dex posted:

don't have a newsweek subscription and work network has already read the whopping five free articles per month before you hit a paywall, is it actually worth reading later or is it the same as the other "well, this guy loves banks AND computers, and is a dork, so" articles that were around a while back

:ssh: i'm pretty sure it's all a goof

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wanna play with his model trains

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Man they are all so indignant. I feel. for the dude because he wanted to be left the gently caress alone but come on, it was inevitable.

and you know, for a fact, that if any of these morons had found him they'd have outed him just the same.

Damiya fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 6, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thesoro posted:

has anyone said buttkakke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm not worried about him at all, imagine all the Satoshis he's gonna get :haw:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

they'll probably kill him as a ritual offering

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

So, is this Newsweek's cover story? The pic at the top of the article looks like a cover, and that's kind of a disappointing move. It's a big story, sure, as far as Bitcoin related stuff goes, but you'd think the stuff going on in the Ukraine would be more relevant to a general news magazine.

A tiny libertarian economy, no matter how clever the tech it's built around, is not really that important.

E: I see they're digital only now. So it's a kind of cover for a non-print magazine that you have to pay for if you read it too much?

E2: The person who wrote the article should set up a bitcoin wallet to get some of those sweet .000666 taints.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 6, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

...! posted:

The "Bitcoin Accepted Here" experiment. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by gubatron

So I ordered a bunch of "Bitcoin Accepted Here" with the intention of placing them on every retail store in my town, I'd like to see some news of my neighborhood becoming a Bitcoin merchant meca after hundreds of customers per store keep asking the owners/managers/cashiers "can I pay with Bitcoin"? prompts them to take action and start accepting Bitcoin payments.

I suggest you replicate the experiment, worse thing that can happen is that they unstick the sticker from their door. I'll be placing them next to the "Visa Accepted Here" stickers.

PS: Thanks to the folks at BitStickers.net for sending us way more stickers than we ordered for, they added so many other sticker types we didn't even add to the order. Great for sampling and giving away.

This dude is worse than a Scientologist JFC

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TVarmy posted:

So, is this Newsweek's cover story? The pic at the top of the article looks like a cover, and that's kind of a disappointing move. It's a big story, sure, as far as Bitcoin related stuff goes, but you'd think the stuff going on in the Ukraine would be more relevant to a general news magazine.

A tiny libertarian economy, no matter how clever the tech it's built around, is not really that important.

E: I see they're digital only now. So it's a kind of cover for a non-print magazine that you have to pay for if you read it too much?

E2: The person who wrote the article should set up a bitcoin wallet to get some of those sweet .000666 taints.

newsweek is relaunching in print this week with the satoshi scoop

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

This dude is worse than a Scientologist JFC

dsyp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JFairfax posted:

every libertarian ive ever met - online or in person - has lived off of either family money (moms basement, wifes job, family inheritance, old money) or government checks (military pension, student loans, government job, nsf grant, social security, or - my favorite - state disability)

every single one

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

TVarmy posted:

better goxxed than doxxed [ancient reddit proverb]

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

so its newsweek....but with bitcoin

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

FMguru posted:

every libertarian ive ever met - online or in person - has lived off of either family money (moms basement, wifes job, family inheritance, old money) or government checks (military pension, student loans, government job, nsf grant, social security, or - my favorite - state disability)

every single one

even ayn rand used welfare

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Pinterest Mom posted:

don't post my favourite ice cream flavour

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Is Newsweek going to provide 24/7 protection for this man, after you've just outed the name and address of a man potentially worth 1000 million dollars, who likely holds the private keys to his BTC in his home?

quote:

How do you put a picture of his house? how stupid can you be? Shameless, sick bastards. You are a shame for journalism.

quote:

Silly journalists, who asked you to be such dicks in the name of "information"? How can you cross boundaries like this and still sleep at night? You sicken me...
Informationw wants to be free :lol:

quote:

Newsweek is going to be responsible for this man's death. NewWeek, there are some things that should have been left private. This is one of them. I now have a strong, very very strong, hatred for Newsweek, and all of it's subsidiaries.

:qq: leave satoshi alone

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

jre posted:

Informationw wants to be free :lol:

:qq: leave satoshi alone

lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the laffs just won't stop.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

why did you have to expose the anonymous creator of this new anonymous currency with a public ledger how is that in the public interest

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

the best part of him being 64 is all the "old ppl dont get bitcoin their way of thinking is dying out" coiners said when dad wouldnt give them a loan

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

i really want him to be like "oh, I got bored with that and deleted them".

economically, what would happen if half of the money that could ever exist was just gone?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TVarmy posted:

no, doxxing is okay if it is the first brown person they see near a bombing

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"No, officer, I'm ~protecting~ this person I don't know by standing outside of his house with a shotgun"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i stopped reading because im in work but did they mention his posts on bitcointalk where he eventually throws his arms up in the air and says gently caress it and walks off never to be heard from again

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"No, officer, I'm ~protecting~ this person I don't know by standing outside of his house with a shotgun"

im worried about his mother she is very dear to me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
most lifetime government contractors i knew when i was in the military were staunch libertarians and mostly anti-government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

• Locked thread