Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you abuse the game mechanics in Morrowind to minimise the lovely combat, you are a retarded baby. Same as the Witcher 2. It's science dude.

basically.

i think this mentality is of the new school gamers who dont want a challenge and expect everything to be handed to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
seriously though what is this magic RPG you all have played that has no broken builds at all?

It's New Vegas, isn't it?

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuBMI5PYXgs

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

seriously though what is this magic RPG you all have played that has no broken builds at all?

It's New Vegas, isn't it?

i don't think these people play video games or enjoy them.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

LaTex Fetish posted:

basically.

i think this mentality is of the new school gamers who dont want a challenge and expect everything to be handed to them.

I want a challenge, that's why I don't play lovely games like Morrowind and Witcher 2 and instead play actual good balanced games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LaTex Fetish posted:

basically.

How does that follow. A skilled gamer figures out the most efficient way to win. If the game is good oyu will have multiple ways to approach an encounter and this will be a difficult decision with many pros and cons to consider. In a lovely game you just activate quen and roll around like a retard because everything else is clearly sub optimal.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I mean, you don't want a challenge, you just play easy games badly on purpose and then pretend you beat a hard game. Its laughable.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ragg posted:

I want a challenge, that's why I don't play lovely games like Morrowind and Witcher 2 and instead play actual good balanced games.

what are good balanced games? it's also a single player game, though, so why try and be overpowered anyway? except those times when you just wanna cruise, i understand.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How does that follow. A skilled gamer figures out the most efficient way to win. If the game is good oyu will have multiple ways to approach an encounter and this will be a difficult decision with many pros and cons to consider. In a lovely game you just activate quen and roll around like a retard because everything else is clearly sub optimal.

yeah if it were multiplayer i would understand this mentality and say 'get gud scrub' if someone complained i was using a good build

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The quality of the witcher is up for debate but all this arguing loving sucks

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

yrden is more useful than quen

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

The quality of the witcher is up for debate but all this arguing loving sucks

no one is arguing we are discussing you dickbag

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

LaTex Fetish posted:

what are good balanced games? it's also a single player game, though, so why try and be overpowered anyway? except those times when you just wanna cruise, i understand.

yeah if it were multiplayer i would understand this mentality and say 'get gud scrub' if someone complained i was using a good build

I'm trying to meet the games challenge. I'm playing to the best of my ability because that's what gaming is about. you play badly on purpose and pretend you're a real gamer.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ragg posted:

you play badly on purpose and pretend you're a real gamer.

yeah, I suppose. I guess thats where we differ. i like playing 'hand-to-hand only monk' builds in morrowind and things like that in rpgs so thats what appeals to me in single player games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I play to have fun but I've been told that's wrong

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Why do you think so?

I had fun playing them. I enjoyed the story a lot. The combat isn't perfect but every game has stuff that is bad about it. I like the games but it's ok if you don't!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

LaTex Fetish posted:

yeah, I suppose. I guess thats where we differ. i like play 'hand-to-hand monk' only builds in morrowind and things like that in rpgs so thats what appeals to me in single player games

Well, I don't actually play RPGs for challenge, I play them for the story and whatnot, and that's why Witcher 1 & 2 sucks balls. I mean, the combat is no great shakes but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's just made by Poles who haven't managed to build an interesting world, the writing is bad, the characters are boring, so I say, it's a turd. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Well, I don't actually play RPGs for challenge, I play them for the story and whatnot, and that's why Witcher 1 & 2 sucks balls. I mean, the combat is no great shakes but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's just made by Poles who haven't managed to build an interesting world, the writing is bad, the characters are boring, so I say, it's a turd. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

You can avoid large parts of the game through dialogue options. 'Tis epic.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

oh nvm.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

LaTex Fetish posted:

did you like the first one, ragg?

No. I've tried to play through it at least like 5 times probably. And I always get worn out by the horrible opening chapter.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

No. I've tried to play through it at least like 5 times probably. And I always get worn out by the horrible opening chapter.

lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ragg posted:

its really bad

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

drat, I actually understand that.

took me two or three times to get into the first one, but its a rewarding experience once you get past it. not exactly a glaring example of a 'great game' when you have to say that, but you should power through for what its worth.

the first one is way, way better than the second, but i didnt think thr second was that bad

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

LaTex Fetish posted:

drat, I actually understand that.

took me two or three times to get into the first one, but its a rewarding experience once you get past it. not exactly a glaring example of a 'great game', but you should power through for what its worth.

the first one is way, way better than the second, but i didnt think thr second was that bad

I'm never going to try to play that game again. I probably won't even try W3.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
If they somehow manage to gently caress up Cyberpunk 2077 I'm gonna burn down all of Poland.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is the amount of tiny tedious poo poo that adds up to an insane amount of crap (like spinning around the witch man to make a potion for 5 seconds every time you open the potion menu) in Witcher 2 similar to in Witcher 1.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ragg posted:

I'm never going to try to play that game again. I probably won't even try W3.

yeah, I understand. I think if they would remake the first one with a better opening act people would enjoy it more.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Cuz that's what warn me down the most, was all the really stupid rear end crap they should of just made a really quick menu for, including turning most of the towns into a menu probably.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
TW2 actually has a really good story by AAA RPG standards though

it doesn't have quirky as gently caress Bioware characters though so if you're into that

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

Is the amount of tiny tedious poo poo that adds up to an insane amount of crap (like spinning around the witch man to make a potion for 5 seconds every time you open the potion menu) in Witcher 2 similar to in Witcher 1.

There's an infinite amount of flowers to pick everywhere and that really triggers me. Also you have to run around in a fairly sizeable zone and there's no like fast travel or anything. So it's constant loving running back and forth in these completely empty areas. They build a fairly big zone and don't put poo poo in it except for like, some quests here and there spaced out. Its pure rear end.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

it doesn't have quirky as gently caress Bioware characters though so if you're into that

It has folks that talk like poor parodies of Game of Throne characters or w/e, making the writing an insane turd.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

Bioware has actual characters in their games at least.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
you're wrong

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I fuckfarted into a dwarfcunt's ballcock.
-- Thing probably said by several characters in the Witcher series.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

I fuckfarted into a dwarfcunt's ballcock.
-- Thing probably said by several characters in the Witcher series.

Lmfao.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Wormskull posted:

nah, you dont have to sit down to drink potions (no idea why they changed this). just pop open the menu mid combat and chug em

the combat is more floaty, but most of the game is actually dialogue.

the swamp level later in the game can be tedious because the amount of the same enemy is kinda gay

the story is actually pretty good, I think, and some of the twists and turns are worthwhile and actually unexpected.

there's a bit of running around and the 'quest areas' arent as optimized as they could be, but that's just how it is.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I'm sick and tired of running around.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think TW1's story meanders too much and is kinda lame actually

The twist at the end is really well done though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Make Cities A drat Menu In RPGs You Ridiculous European Smacktards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
You know back in wow vanilla when you had to run all the way down from crossroads to camp taurajo? That's what the witcher is like all the time.

• Locked thread