Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They have been spoiling movies with the trailers for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

nomapple posted:

The chemistry between Lou and the TV woman was still excellent, and Lou was creepy as hell. But yeah, overall, a bit disappointed.

For some reason, this sentence gave me chills at the thought that Rene Russo would one day be known as "that TV woman from Nightcrawler."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The sequence with Rick dying in the street while angelic music plays is totally my number one emotional film epiphany of the year so far, it was one of those moments where there's no dividing line between the film and myself.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

creepiest film i've seen in a long time.

probably one of the most interesting characters ive seen personified in a long time too.

at first i thought lou might've been just a socially awkward loving weirdo but, yeah, its pretty obvious hes just overtly manipulative/calculative and thinks long before he speaks. many times i got second-hand embarrassment only for lou to be like 'nah, i know exactly what i'm saying and you're going to do it because this reason.' restaurant scene was really loving brutal.

great loving film

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saw it last night with a nearly packed house for a Tuesday night. I suspect some of the theater go-ers didn't know what they were getting into.

Loved it. Gyllenhaal is sufficiently creepy, but oddly puts you at ease with how smooth and positive he is. Has you kind of convinced to buy into his bullshit, which is no surprise how enigmatic he with the other characters in the film.

The audience as a whole laughed a lot. Probably at just shock of the things he was saying. Restaurant Scene probably the biggest one.

I actually loved the cinematography. Not sure if it's just because LA is so beautiful to look at naturally. Some of the opening shots were really nice.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I read the script over one year ago and have been anticipating the release of the film since. I saw this opening night and it was great. Gyllenhaal completely nailed the part of Lou. It's exactly what I had envisioned in my head when reading the script.

Also, I loved the attention to small details in the film. The part when Bill Paxton was boasting about his new camera gear and mentioning a specific model of cameras he just purchased... Fast forward to when Lou is making bank. He has a new car and a new camera; The same camera that Bill bought.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Really liked it. Definitely wish I hadn't just seen Taxi Driver for the first time and then subsequently seen people compare the two. I think that would have made things feel a lot more fresh to me. It didn't ruin it but I think I would have left the theater much more affected by it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I really don't get that comparison. The movies are drastically different and so are the protagonists and the way they are presented. I don't even feel like they have a similar tone or feel.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I really don't get that comparison. The movies are drastically different and so are the protagonists and the way they are presented. I don't even feel like they have a similar tone or feel.

True but I guess in the sense of them both being pretty socially awkward, weirdo, loner sociopath/psychopaths working the graveyard shift in nonconventional jobs who are creepy with women and end up being rewarded for their actions in the end.

Other than that they are quite clearly different films but it was just on my mind a lot of the movie.

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King of Comedy is the better comparison.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

True but I guess in the sense of them both being pretty socially awkward, weirdo, loner sociopath/psychopaths working the graveyard shift in nonconventional jobs who are creepy with women and end up being rewarded for their actions in the end.

Other than that they are quite clearly different films but it was just on my mind a lot of the movie.

lou wasn't rewarded, he just met his goal. he worked towards it the entire movie. big difference.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Well I guess you could say he was constantly "rewarded" for his lovely behavior the entire movie?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

nope.

the entire movie he was very methodical and cunning. there was no reward or luck, he earned it through sheer force of will. the american dream

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Woah! That was amazing. I love the harsh primary coloured lighting looming out of the darkness, absolutely beautifully shot and lit. In particular the The shots of Lou hunched over in the corner of the frame, lit in silhouette by the TV at the centre of the image make him look like a literal vulture. I guess this is all appropriate in a film where the hero is vocally concerned about emotive cinematography.

I also loved that far from Lou not understanding people (as a few people say), he understands them perfectly. He just doesn't care.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

The hobo/assistant was the most annoying character in the movie.

Rick was also the best, and not a hobo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I saw this movie and it was a very good movie that I liked. Not A+ four stars but a solid A. I don't like most movies and am a big snob. It's a very dark movie filmed in a light hearted way. It's like Killer Joe's little brother.

If you are reading this thread wondering if you should see it or another movie I would suggest you see this movie.

I am scared to post more than this because every time I hang around CD too long I get probated.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 7, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's because of your avatar.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No it's because media forum mods are weenie boys.

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003

LionYeti posted:

He spends the money on things that matter the car is fast which lets him get to stories quicker and flashy so people remember it, other nightcrawlers, the people at channel 6 etc. He's a brutally practical man and its incredible and also super hard to watch.

I'm not so sure about this. The opening scene of the film is one of the most important, in retrospect. He sees the guards watch, he wants it, so he takes it. He likes it not because he wants to keep time, but because he likes flashy things that show success. He could have sold the watch for a $100 but instead argues over pennies when trying to sell scrap metal.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

King of Comedy is the better comparison.

There Will Be Blood comparisons stuck out the most to me. There was a scene were each protagonist bluntly states their misanthropy to someone they later kill.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nroo posted:

There Will Be Blood comparisons stuck out the most to me. There was a scene were each protagonist bluntly states their misanthropy to someone they later kill.

Same D.O.P. too.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Great movie. The climax of the film was about as thrilling as anything I've seen in recent film history.

Major sociopath/:spergin: vibes from the main character. Absolutely no empathy quotient whatsoever.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Saw this the other day and loved it. Gyllenhaal is really a fantastic actor. I'm pleasantly surprised to find out the same DOP who worked on this also worked on TWBB, another absolute favorite of mine.

I was only slightly let down by the ending of the film because it didn't necessarily feel like a resolution. Maybe that's the point and it's more chilling to reveal that Louis just goes about his ways due to his conniving methods and there seems to be no end in sight. The fact that he wasn't even lying when he said "I would never ask you to do something I wouldn't do myself" was particularly creepy.

Also, can someone clarify something for me? I missed the part where they describe what happened to Bill Paxton's character in the crash. Someone at the scene described what caused the crash to occur but I was talking or something like a moron and missed it. What did Bloom do exactly?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Clipped the brake line, I believe.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Clipped the brake line, I believe.

I was inclined to make that assumption at first but I feel like you would notice something like that way before the fatal incident. Something like needing to stop at a stop sign or even slowing down around a turn at normal speed. I don't know what clipping brake lines actually does, though, so I could be mistaken.

H_B_Graduate
Aug 27, 2014
The way I saw it

Bloom sabotaged Paxton's van in such a way that throughout the evening of reckless driving it would appear that it was just an overall failure that couldn't be traced back to him. Bloom was too methodical to do something as careless as just clipping the brake line, he would have made it look like the components failed

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

God drat, I watch this and it was mesmerizing. That Mexican restaurant scene is like the most MRA/PUA scene I've ever seen, I was fully expecting Gyllenhaal to get up at some point and put a fedora on. Also, that ending is great because you can see the manipulation he pulls the whole way Russo's character reacts with concern and sympathy to Rick's death on camera is hilarious, considering Bloom has no empathy himself.

xzoto1 posted:

Also, I loved the attention to small details in the film. The part when Bill Paxton was boasting about his new camera gear and mentioning a specific model of cameras he just purchased... Fast forward to when Lou is making bank. He has a new car and a new camera; The same camera that Bill bought.

Not to mention the ending, where he steals Loader's business plan with the two vans and crews running constantly through the night.

H_B_Graduate posted:

The way I saw it

Bloom sabotaged Paxton's van in such a way that throughout the evening of reckless driving it would appear that it was just an overall failure that couldn't be traced back to him. Bloom was too methodical to do something as careless as just clipping the brake line, he would have made it look like the components failed

It could really be just as simple as disabling the sensor and poking a hole into the caliper piston. I worked as a courier and had a pad slip on the job, drove on the caliper (mostly because I was cheap and would needed the money from that day so I couldn't pull over into a Pep Boys and get it fixed) and grind the caliper piston's rubber open, which bled the brake cylinder through the day. poo poo, Loader could have been doing what I was doing and just flat-out ignoring the sensor telling him about brake problems and put off repairs until to morning because of the downtime would cut into Mayhem Video's profits, except they were probably putting their van through much heavier stress.

When you live and earn day-by-day, you don't do a whole lot of long-term planning.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
When it comes right down to it, it doesn't really matter what he did, all that matters is (like everything else he does) it works out perfectly for him in the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's a quick study.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What's the meaning of Lou's top-knot? I guess to keep his hair out of his face, but perhaps there's more to it...?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beyond sane knolls posted:

What's the meaning of Lou's top-knot? I guess to keep his hair out of his face, but perhaps there's more to it...?

My guess, since he first does it when he steals the bike to buy the camcorder and scanner, it's likely to hide his identity.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I loved this movie and I have to say my single favorite bit in the film was when he was watching that comedy on TV, and when the moment came that he was supposed to laugh he hesitated, looked around and then did this huge fake laugh. That instant gave me a perfect understanding of his character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ParanoidInc posted:

I loved this movie and I have to say my single favorite bit in the film was when he was watching that comedy on TV, and when the moment came that he was supposed to laugh he hesitated, looked around and then did this huge fake laugh. That instant gave me a perfect understanding of his character.

Yesss. I loved this moment. It cracked me up, but gave me such an understanding of who Bloom is. I need to see this again before Interstellar sucks it up into it's black hole.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Saw this last night and really, really enjoyed it, though the tension and looming physical and moral peril were so pervasive that I'm not sure I'd want to see it again.

Bloom's predatory menace is just palpable throughout. Dan Gilroy's comments on him in a recent interview were telling:

Dan Gilroy posted:

Lou is a wonderful manipulator.

He understands people the way a lion understands a gazelle. Everything about them. There’s nothing he doesn’t know about them. So, actually, I always thought it was ironic when Rick says “your problem is you don’t understand people.” Lou understands people to a degree that goes beyond anything Rick could imagine. On an animalistic level.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dan-gilroy-interview/

As to the scene with Nina at the end, where she expresses admiration for the footage of Bloom's dying assistant, my take away was that she was terrified, and that that was why she told Bloom to name a figure, but it seemed like there was room to interpret her response as genuinely grateful, with her having descended (or been revealed to be) fundamentally at Bloom's level.

E: Are spoiler tags still appropriate in this thread? I'll remove if not.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 9, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The best part about this movie is now when people ask me what's wrong with the work of Ayn Rand I can say go watch Nightcrawler and you'll see what a human who fully embraces her ideals looks and acts like.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Enjoyed it, def agree it would be a good double bill with Drive. Both are characters who clearly try to say all the right things, in Gosling's case he winds up escalating situations even when his intentions are "pure", whereas Lou is pretty much corrupt from the get go

The best part about this movie is now when people ask me what's wrong with the work of Ayn Rand I can say go watch Nightcrawler and you'll see what a human who fully embraces her ideals looks and acts like.

didn't look too far off from her either

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Great movie but the first scene seemed out of place.

It was the only time in the movie he acted impulsively and was physically dangerous. If Lou has the raw strength to take out a security guard then why isn't he just mugging people? And why not sell the watch? It serves no practical purpose to him at that time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

vainman posted:

Great movie but the first scene seemed out of place.

It was the only time in the movie he acted impulsively and was physically dangerous. If Lou has the raw strength to take out a security guard then why isn't he just mugging people? And why not sell the watch? It serves no practical purpose to him at that time.

Its entirely in character, just on a different scale. Lou's whole deal is "I want [thing], how can I gain [thing] in most direct manner at least risk to myself?" Mugging people puts himself in direct harm and likely doesn't have high enough rewards. He doesn't sell the watch because he wanted the watch; if he was purely about practicality he wouldn't have bought some gas-guzzling flashy muscle car when he could have gotten another car that could do the job at lower personal expense.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think that opening scene is important because it shows how Lou reacts when he is cornered and it also shows that he's not above physical violence which is an important distinction that adds to his menace and the tension throughout the rest of the movie. If we didn't see him be violent we would just assume his weakness was his physical frailty or having some sort of "code" against violence. Knowing that he's fully willing to physically beat someone to get what he wants adds so much to scenes like the dinner and when Rick is trying to out-manipulate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think that opening scene is important because it shows how Lou reacts when he is cornered and it also shows that he's not above physical violence which is an important distinction that adds to his menace and the tension throughout the rest of the movie. If we didn't see him be violent we would just assume his weakness was his physical frailty or having some sort of "code" against violence. Knowing that he's fully willing to physically beat someone to get what he wants adds so much to scenes like the dinner and when Rick is trying to out-manipulate him.

Seriously, the first five minutes of Nightcrawler are amazing at characterizing Lou, showing him as a guy who can beat a cop to death and then cheerfully try to seminartalk his way into a job at a scrapyard presumably less than an hour later sets up everything to come in the movie.

e: the bit where Nina points out that he's covered in blood from moving a body and he doesn't change his tone at all while deflecting the subject is probably one of the most effective cringecomedy moments in cinema that I can remember from the last several years

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread