Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Gyllenhaal has been become one of my favorite actors and Nightcrawler is a film I've been highly anticipating since I read the script. He plays a very strange and creepy freelance crime journalist in the underbelly of L.A. While the script itself is rather straight forward, it will present a challenge for Gyllenhaal as his character is something entirely unique to his resume and I am looking forward to how well he handles it. I'm a sucker for crime/drama and as I work in television myself, I naturally found the synopsis to this film rather intriguing. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6C8jsusAvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This looks like it will end with him shooting himself on air. :stonk:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
That trailer constantly reminds me of King of Comedy and Taxi Driver but in a way that builds on the mania of those two films.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

He looks like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho and sounds like Daniel Lugo from Pain & Gain. :stare:

Sold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At first I saw this thread and thought Denis Villeneuve had made yet another movie with Jake Gyllenhaal. Then when I saw that's not what it was, I got a bit disappointed for a second. But then I saw the trailer.

His facial expressions alone (especially the one at 1:14) make me want to see it. This looks like it'll be one of his most chilling performances yet.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

MariusLecter posted:

This looks like it will end with him shooting himself on air. :stonk:

if you want to win at russian roulette, first you have to buy the bullet

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Young Freud posted:

He looks like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho and sounds like Daniel Lugo from Pain & Gain. :stare:

Sold.

It's giving me a sort of Less Than Zero meets Lost Highway vibe.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

At first I saw this thread and thought Denis Villeneuve had made yet another movie with Jake Gyllenhaal. Then when I saw that's not what it was, I got a bit disappointed for a second. But then I saw the trailer.

If Jake Gyllenhaal only ever accepts roles from now on from Denis Villeneuve and Denis Villeneuve types, I will die happy.

EDIT: Some fun viral marketing. Lou Bloom is really getting his name out there.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
That's an impressive trailer. The characters depraved desire to work and succeed seems so perfect to our current economic situation. Feels like a modern Taxi Driver to me, someone who is struggling, feeling disenfranchised and having their rage bubble over onto the surface.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

xzoto1 posted:

While the script itself is rather straight forward, it will present a challenge for Gyllenhaal as his character is something entirely unique to his resume and I am looking forward to how well he handles it.

Goddamn this looks awesome. Although I agree that this is something new for him, I like the similarity between this and his role in Zodiac - there's obviously that obsessive-compulsive aspect of both characters, although this will be far more extreme.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Gyllenhaal was loving amazing in Prisoners as a strung-out dude, and he looks perfect for this role as well.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
We were lucky enough to catch this last friday. I've signed an NDA so no story details allowed, but I am allowed to say that it blew me away. They are trying to build Oscar buzz around Gyllenhall for this and it's much deserved. He starts as creepy, but somehow likeable, guy and just keeps slipping further and further. I'm not a thriller guy at all but this kept me hooked for every single second.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

AlexF posted:

We were lucky enough to catch this last friday. I've signed an NDA so no story details allowed, but I am allowed to say that it blew me away. They are trying to build Oscar buzz around Gyllenhall for this and it's much deserved. He starts as creepy, but somehow likeable, guy and just keeps slipping further and further. I'm not a thriller guy at all but this kept me hooked for every single second.

I know you can't divulge details but a guy started at my office yesterday and he looks and acts just like Jake in this. On a scale of 1 to 10 how concerned should I be?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Marketing New Brain posted:

That's an impressive trailer. The characters depraved desire to work and succeed seems so perfect to our current economic situation. Feels like a modern Taxi Driver to me, someone who is struggling, feeling disenfranchised and having their rage bubble over onto the surface.

Yeah, Taxi Driver is the film that came to my mind as well - mashed up with The King of Comedy.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Jonny Angel posted:

I know you can't divulge details but a guy started at my office yesterday and he looks and acts just like Jake in this. On a scale of 1 to 10 how concerned should I be?

If you keep doing what he asks you to do you'll be fine. Otherwise, well...

Edit: In the movie this is a really scary scene and the reason for these reports (very mild spoilers, but really just a logical consequence of what you see in the trailer anyway) but the freak outs that happen in the quieter moments just beneath the surface are a lot scarier. As soon as he starts thinking you can almost feel the sick things in his head.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 31, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gyllenhaal looked like a vampire in Prisoners and he looks like one in this. He's embracing the look.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

After Enemy I was hoping to see him in exactly this kind of role, its pretty rare that the movies I want to see actually roll off the assembly line, now I'm just afraid my hopes are too high.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
If you wanna see this movie keep yourself miles away from the new trailer. It tells the whole movie up until the last ten minutes. I understand why companies are doing it, but I hate this trend so very much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Still hype for this and unrelatedly John Wick.

And yea, I had to literally plug my ears, close my eyes and go LALALALALALA when the new trailers started coming out.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I can't wait to see this. Gyllenhaal is a great actor, and the vibe of the ( first ) trailer is just right. I will also stay away from watching the latest trailer, as I don't want to know too much about the film beforehand.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw it. It was great.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I saw this at TIFF last month, and yeah I loved it. The levels of cynicism kind of blew me away, as in I never expected a wide release like this to be this dark and sickening.

(minor spoilers, just covering it up because it isn't out in theatres yet)

This is essentially Dan Gilroy just viciously destroying the current state of industry and employment in America. Proper labour has all but disappeared now, leaving people without the kind of career opportunities their parents had. Manufacturing and prosperity used to be constants in America until it was taken away. People have to look for another constant now, the next thing that will guarantee work. So why not turn to human suffering and crime?

That's what I find so drat brilliant about this movie. It is, at its core, the American success story, just filtered through the incredibly warped form of the American dream (or just the version of capitalism we have now) that exists today. People think this is partially a commentary on the media, but I don't think that's right. Its portrayal of the news industry is the same kind of stuff we've seen all the way back to Network. It's more about the pursuit of success by any means, and how that pursuit can wipe the humanity out from someone. Gilroy uses the media as a way to make that point.

And Jake Gyllenhaal, I mean, this is by far the best role he's done to date. Lou Bloom is a walking, talking version of corporate culture. He's a sponge that inhales every sort of quippy phrase, business lingo and piece of false optimism he can find, then spits all of it out at every opportunity he can get. Think Travis Bickle and Patrick Bateman.

Anyway, see this movie if you can. Sometimes a great movie can elevate itself because of one terrific scene. I counted at least three of those while watching this.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Jake Gyllenhaal is probably my favorite actor working today. He is so drat electric on the screen and after seeing Enemy a few weeks ago I am very happy to go and see Nightcrawler this weekend. Great to hear that this film is dope. Jake was in a music video called 'Time To Dance' a few years ago that should wet your whistle for this film, I know it's wettin' mine!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Howling Man posted:

Jake Gyllenhaal is probably my favorite actor working today. He is so drat electric on the screen and after seeing Enemy a few weeks ago I am very happy to go and see Nightcrawler this weekend. Great to hear that this film is dope. Jake was in a music video called 'Time To Dance' a few years ago that should wet your whistle for this film, I know it's wettin' mine!

...good god.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

El Grillo posted:

...good god.

:catstare:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

For the record the music video he's referring to is The Shoes - Time to Dance and Gyllenhaal is loving brilliant in it.

http://youtu.be/pt9wnawn7xQ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

88h88 posted:

For the record the music video he's referring to is The Shoes - Time to Dance and Gyllenhaal is loving brilliant in it.

http://youtu.be/pt9wnawn7xQ

That is what we were reacting to, yes.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Gonna be seeing this tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. Came into the thread to mention The Shoes video but I see I've been beaten to it! Guess I'll just reiterate what other people are saying and mention that Gyllenhaal plays a pretty good psycho.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just got out of this. Gyllenhaal is great, the movie's close to great, it has some absolutely knockout scenes, and it has the most distractingly bad soundtrack I've heard in a while.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

If this was about 10 minutes shorter it would be even better but as it stands it's my favourite movie of the year, what a knockout performance from Gyllenhaal I might even go see it again in a week or two.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like that Jake Gyllenhaal just played a sociopathic store manager with a taste for TV News. All of those platitudes and conversations he had with Rick were hilarious and dead on, and it's funny to think that the worst parts of the movie were when he was just kinda on his own, because flipping between his few different put-ons was awesome, you could see it like a switch in the characters head, which is tough to pull off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never would've guessed ten years ago that Jake Gyllenhall would star in my two favorite films in one year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't know if it's my favorite of the year, but Jake and Rene sharing a tender moment in the edit bay as Riz Ahmed's horrified face looks down on them is definitely my favorite shot.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 31, 2014

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Saw this movie last night and it really didn't do it for me. I liked Gyllenhaal's character and I thought he did a good job with the part (though I didn't think his acting was exceptional), but the movie failed to establish a tight narrative. The tension that was built up seemed to fluctuate in odd ways, as did the tone, and the story just kind of petered out. The satirical element also fell flat for me, but that's maybe because the whole premise of a movie in which a character goes to shocking extremes to get footage for a nightly newscast seems very outdated. All the other characters were serviceable, but nothing was really done with them - they were just there, and didn't really develop much. At the very least I was hoping for beautiful night shots of LA a la Drive, but it didn't even provide that. All in all it struck me as a squandered opportunity.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

morestuff posted:

I don't know if it's my favorite of the year, but Jake and Susan sharing a tender moment in the edit bay as Riz Ahmed's horrified face looks down on them is definitely my favorite shot.

As with the previous poster saying if it was a bit shorter it would have been a bit better, I thought that would have been a great point to end the film on. Either way though it almost perfectly encapsulated the movie and Lou. I have to say though, I don't think there is anyone around that does creepy/disturbing as good as Gyllenhaal.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Favorite movie of the year so far. Good poo poo. I'd echo the King of Comedy comparisons and I'd throw in a little Ace in the Hole.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

morestuff posted:

Just got out of this. Gyllenhaal is great, the movie's close to great, it has some absolutely knockout scenes, and it has the most distractingly bad soundtrack I've heard in a while.

Glad I'm not the only one who had that thought about the soundtrack. That being said though I really enjoyed the movie, Gyllenhaal is really incredible. And there's a couple real standout scenes. The part where They play the Horror House story, and the camera keeps cutting between the gory footage/the news anchors being prompted to keep saying how brutal it is/Lou's smiling face was really creepy and enthralling.

Also did anyone notice it seems like if someone calls him Louis, he asks them to call him Lou, and if they call him Lou, he asks to call him Louis? I'd have to watch again to be sure that's what's happening, but it wouldn't surprise me, seems like another bargaining/business kind of trick that the character would be into.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Blisster posted:

Also did anyone notice it seems like if someone calls him Louis, he asks them to call him Lou, and if they call him Lou, he asks to call him Louis? I'd have to watch again to be sure that's what's happening, but it wouldn't surprise me, seems like another bargaining/business kind of trick that the character would be into.

That's what he was doing, caught that too. I'm seeing this again next week on IMAX / AVX whatever it is

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I only remembered him doing that to his assistance, as part of his weird dominance manipulation bit.

The scene where he stands over him as he dies was really disturbing to me, just in how calm he was. It reminded me of that scene in Falling Down, when the guy is having a heart attack on the golf course, "Now you're going to die, wearing that stupid little hat. How does that feel?"

Just in terms of looks and characters, does anyone else feel like this would go great sandwiched between Drive and Gone Girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Felt more like if Ace in the Hole and Collateral had a baby

• Locked thread