Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
people genuinely believe that espn is part of an anti-Big Ten conspiracy even though they have the rights to broadcast multiple Big Ten games every week, including the biggest matchup (to the extent that there is one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
After watching Bama and Auburn play WVU and KSU, I think either of those teams could reasonably expect to lose 1-2 games if they took the place of Kansas in the B12 Round Robin. There's good teams all over the place.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

After watching Bama and Auburn play WVU and KSU, I think either of those teams could reasonably expect to lose 1-2 games if they took the place of Kansas in the B12 Round Robin. There's good teams all over the place.

Yep. I think the SEC West will cannibalize itself much this season, starting this Saturday.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

D.N. Nation posted:

Yep. I think the SEC West will cannibalize itself much this season, starting this Saturday.

Well what the gently caress else is it supposed to do

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Sure, but put Oklahoma or Baylor in the SEC West and you could expect the same, probably worse actually.

I have no delusions about the East, but I think the West on its own is probably the strongest group of teams in the country. It's a complete meat grinder and getting out without a loss is going to be a huge accomplishment if anyone can do it.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 3, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

D.N. Nation posted:

The SEC is great, but it's not SUPER great. There's a lot of harrumph! about that argument.

Not saying there isn't, but that's what it is. They're good, they're just not godly.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
College football fan map from NYT. Not sure what their methods are.

You can zoom in to the county level and see what each zip code percentage is.

Looks like most of New England and several areas in NYC are Florida Gators country.

Surprised at South Carolina, I figured Clemson would have more of a presence.

Looks like Oregon has the most geographical area, and Ohio State, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and LSU have total control over their respective states.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

an adult beverage posted:

Looks like most of New England and several areas in NYC are Florida Gators country.

Looks like Oregon has the most geographical area, and Ohio State, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and LSU have total control over their respective states.

Maine appears to have stopped watching college football around, oh, 2008-9 or so.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

Well what the gently caress else is it supposed to do

Imagine the rankings if they still let games end in ties and A&M/Bama/Auburn all ended in ties.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
If UGA pays back Auburn for that fluke bullshit from last year, and wails on Arkansas, I'd love to see what this argument turns into.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Fascinating. Oregon has spread and overtaken a lot of areas. Northern California (even limiting Cal and Stanford fans to just their respective cities), Montana, Alaska, Even down in South Texas, the #3 team is Oregon.

Colorado seems to have a soft spot for UT. New Mexico State only shows up in the top 3 in 4 zip codes. And there they have the 3rd spot behind UT and New Mexico.

Other college that are utterly wiped off the map: SMU doesn't register, UNT has #2 in Denton County. UTSA and UH are #2 or #3 in their respective cities. Directional schools in Louisiana, Arkansas, Michigan, and Ohio don't claim a county. WMU gets 1 mention that I found. ECU gets a mention. Duke also does not claim a county. Georgia Tech fails to claim a county. FIU, FAU, USF. UNLV

So the biggest 2 failures are Georgia Tech and Duke. ACC schools.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The SEC is great. They have some really good football teams. In any given year they very well might have the best football team. They have huge, extremely devoted fanbases. I follow the SEC. I like watching their games. I have zero desire to poo poo on the SEC. I just get annoyed about being told over and over and over every Saturday that they are on some whole other level, because they're not.

e: :smug:

The New York Times posted:

Look at our new national map of college football fandom, and you’ll see a whole lot of burnt Texas orange. No other college football team can claim more parts of the United States than the University of Texas Longhorns. In 2,211 ZIP codes — 7.4 percent of the country’s total — more fans like Texas than like any other team, according to our analysis Facebook data.

Penn State, Florida and Oregon are distant runners-up, each with about 1,500 ZIP codes.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 3, 2014

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
The numbers were bugged for North Carolina earlier today, UNC wasn't even represented in a single zip code. The NYT editor laughably tried to defend it as completely correct before Facebook released a statement saying that there was a data error for the entire state.

Before:

After:

Use some common sense, dude.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder what their methodology was. For example, I have liked "Iowa State Athletics" on facebook but not "Iowa State Football". So do I count as a fan? And how do they determine my home zipcode, since I don't have my address posted. Is it where I sign in from the most often? Where I've signed in from last?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ohio State being the third most popular team in many parts of Arizona is a bit weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

The SEC is great. They have some really good football teams. In any given year they very well might have the best football team. They have huge, extremely devoted fanbases. I follow the SEC. I like watching their games. I have zero desire to poo poo on the SEC. I just get annoyed about being told over and over and over every Saturday that they are on some whole other level, because they're not.

e: :smug:

I know Penn State has a lot of alums but being second in the country after the Sandusky thing is pretty weird.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rick posted:

Ohio State being the third most popular team in many parts of Arizona is a bit weird.

2002 championship game (in which Ohio State beat Miami) was at the Fiesta Bowl. Current college graduates were 10 years old then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kayakyakr posted:

2002 championship game (in which Ohio State beat Miami) was at the Fiesta Bowl. Current college graduates were 10 years old then.

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

....alternatively a shitload of old people from Ohio move to Arizona.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Rick posted:

kayakyakr posted:

I was thinking it was all the midwestern retirees and/or transplants out here. I work in Phoenix, and 14 of my 20 coworkers are from the midwest.

It also looks like Las Vegas is Ohio State territory.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 3, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kayakyakr posted:

Two historically middling Big XII teams have shaken up the entire foundation of the SEC "we play great defense" mindset.

While I don't disagree with your overall argument I hate this talking point and think it's incredibly stupid every time it's brought up. A&M under Sumlin is a completely different team than the one that played in the Big XII, and in their inaugural year in the SEC they finished 3rd in the west and then summarily executed Oklahoma in their bowl game. They were a middling SEC team last year.

Missouri was dogs hit their first year, good enough to win the east their second, and then got blasted by Auburn in the SEC championship. They also beat Okie State, 3rd in the Big XII in their bowl game.

Neither team has won the conference and both have beaten their Big XII opponents at the end of their good years. They would have been good Big XII teams those years too, based on the bowl results. Their offenses are good, but the SEC has had and still has other good offenses, including spread and Air raid teams. Florida's offense under Meyer was every bit as potent the best in the Big XII, and Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and even Tennessee have fielded really good offenses in recent years (though not every year).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think pre-season/early season polls are weighted towards the SEC though and if we had polling beginning in like Week 4 you might not see as high of a percentage of ranked SEC teams.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

computer parts posted:

I think pre-season/early season polls are weighted towards the SEC though and if we had polling beginning in like Week 4 you might not see as high of a percentage of ranked SEC teams.

Yeah, South Carolina wouldn't have been there and Georgia would have been low 20s.

That's the only difference though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

Yeah, South Carolina wouldn't have been there and Georgia would have been low 20s.

That's the only difference though.

Except A&M shot up to the top ten after beating South Carolina. If they beat an unranked or low ranked team then that doesn't happen.

Preseason AP Ranking:
South Carolina: 9
Texas A&M: 21

Week 2 AP Ranking:
Texas A&M: 9
South Carolina: 21

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 4, 2014

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Gonna watch the Baylor game in style yall

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Gonna watch the Baylor game in style yall

When did Kenny Loggins coach for Texas?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

....alternatively a shitload of old people from Ohio move to Arizona.

Hate to corroborate MV but it's this one.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The rest of this weekend is gonna be completely free of upsets, and I'm going to want to vomit.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Thoguh posted:

Except A&M shot up to the top ten after beating South Carolina. If they beat an unranked or low ranked team then that doesn't happen.

Preseason AP Ranking:

Week 2 AP Ranking:

If the AP were to have put out their first rankings of the season after last week's games, the top of the poll would likely be the remaining undefeated power conference teams in some order. There were only 15 of these (now 14 with Oregon losing) and it happens that a full third of them are in the SEC West.

Basically, most years I would agree with you, but the performance of the SECW thus far has been such that they would inevitably have a large number of teams near the top of the poll.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thoguh posted:

No that's just me. But I can see why you'd think I've joined the coaching ranks. For the first time, I'm wearing the same shirts that the coaches do. I had admired them on the sidelines and wondered where I could get them - turns out the Co-Op was the place. I treated myself, becaus I deserve coaching status. From now on I luxuriate in 60% cotton 40% polyester bliss.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thoguh posted:

Preseason AP Ranking:

Week 2 AP Ranking:

Baylor has beaten literally no one and is ranked in the top 10 and has been since the beginning of the year. Like South Carolina isn't all they were cracked up to be, but they are worlds better than anyone on Baylor's resume. And Oregon jumped to #2 based on beating a Michigan State team that is still completely unknown, but we're ranked high. Hell, Michigan State largely kept their ranking despite their only meaningful claim being that they weren't embarrassed by Oregon.

A&M is hardly the worst offender for rankings inflation considering they are undefeated with two in conference wins against teams that at least aren't abysmal or FCS quality. And it's hardly an SEC specific problem.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
On the other hand without preseason ranking ECU could be #1

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

On the other hand without preseason ranking ECU could be #1

In a hilarious world ECU would sneak into the playoffs and win.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The rest of this weekend is gonna be completely free of upsets, and I'm going to want to vomit.

Is this just generally expecting no upsets because we already had our big one or?

I could in theory see upsets in a bunch of games this weekend, I mean most of them won't happen but this doesn't seem like a terrible looking week.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I would sacrifice good upsets to beat Nebraska.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

NippleFloss posted:

Baylor has beaten literally no one and is ranked in the top 10 and has been since the beginning of the year. Like South Carolina isn't all they were cracked up to be, but they are worlds better than anyone on Baylor's resume. And Oregon jumped to #2 based on beating a Michigan State team that is still completely unknown, but we're ranked high. Hell, Michigan State largely kept their ranking despite their only meaningful claim being that they weren't embarrassed by Oregon.

A&M is hardly the worst offender for rankings inflation considering they are undefeated with two in conference wins against teams that at least aren't abysmal or FCS quality. And it's hardly an SEC specific problem.

If we're going 100% off things that have been done on the field this year, A&M probably has as good a claim as anybody to #1. That has been true since the SCar game. I'm not a huge fan of that reality, but that's how I see it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NippleFloss posted:

I was just pointing out one example. You could certainly hit on a lot of them. Florida State, for example, would likely not be top ten without preseason rankings and holdover expectations from last year.

I disagree on Baylor though. They haven't beaten anyone but they've looked fantastic beating up on bad teams, which not everyone can say. ISU having a pulse showed their secondary isn't all that good, but that's about it for their weakness. Without a preseason ranking they'd be where they are at or higher. Going totally on the season so far who would knock them down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Thoguh posted:

He couldn't even field a team. Everybody got cut.

• Locked thread