Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Oooo the Millienial speech is now on.

Young dorks spotted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
First teleprompter zinger, while reading from a teleprompter.
And first Obama plays too much golf.
Sorry for spamming the thread here, but this poo poo is funny.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Radbot posted:

All hail Pontiff Obama.

I'd vote pray for him.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

This might be a really dumb question, but what ostensibly is the point of some of these panels? What is the audience supposed to get out of it? (I know in practice they just get to see people they already agree with say things they already agree with.) What are the speakers supposed to get out of it? This is the first time I've followed CPAC closely at all, and I thought a lot of these panels were things like helpful tips for organizing, etc. But these seem like a lot of career campaign managers speaking blandly about really bland things, so why does anybody do it?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm digging the 1950's sci-fi sound effects going on here with Mia Love.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The audience gets to think they're part of the elite and participating in the process of shaping policy initiatives or whatever, and the speakers and organizers get money.

e: oh and also I guess they probably further indoctrinate themselves and then go home to wherever and take over the school board

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This might be a really dumb question, but what ostensibly is the point of some of these panels? What is the audience supposed to get out of it? (I know in practice they just get to see people they already agree with say things they already agree with.) What are the speakers supposed to get out of it? This is the first time I've followed CPAC closely at all, and I thought a lot of these panels were things like helpful tips for organizing, etc. But these seem like a lot of career campaign managers speaking blandly about really bland things, so why does anybody do it?

It's a self reaffirming echo chamber.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I get that, but what do these people think they're doing? Is there even any other pretense that this is anything but an echo chamber?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
5 hours a day playing video games? What would our forefathers think?! :byodood:

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I get that, but what do these people think they're doing? Is there even any other pretense that this is anything but an echo chamber?
Networking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Oh I don't think they think about what they are doing much at all, like any reactionary.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Republican youth organizer: Kids these days are lazy and don't know how to work hard.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Big Government Sucks" is the new young idea. I wish I was joking.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Republican youth organizer: Kids these days are lazy and don't know how to work hard.

That was a US senator... who apparently thinks that Tetris is the hot game that kids are in too

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reagan was a paranoid idiot who thought we would lose all freedom in one generation I agree.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Which lies did they advance on the national stage you coward?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Christ, they're DDOSing their own website. I can't get to the agenda page.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
You are not Martin Luther King Jr. :fuckoff:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

One of the most conservative people I ever met, this young woman working in a pizza place with parents working for the federal government, had the most bumper stickers I have ever seen on the back of the car. Everything from Twilight to Ayn Rand Romney and Ron Paul had appearances. Too many bumper stickers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

@simonmaloy is the guy to follow for CPAC jokes.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Some day they'll get the sound working right.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh great, Common Core griping. "Heh look at this bizarre math question."

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

There was actually a genuinely good panel last year on, of all things, prison reform. Most folks participating believed it to be a huge waste of money and in dire need of reform/shorter sentences. Even Rick Perry.

The rest of it was crazy, but that was good.

I'm probably going to miss Saturday's stuff until the night. Is CPAC poo poo going on now? Where do I watch it?!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There was actually a genuinely good panel last year on, of all things, prison reform. Most folks participating believed it to be a huge waste of money and in dire need of reform/shorter sentences. Even Rick Perry.

I'm probably going to miss Saturday's stuff until the night. Is CPAC poo poo going on now? Where do I watch it?!

http://www.c-span.org/video/?324557-1/2015-conservative-political-action-conference&live

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FYI: Jeb Bush supports Common Core

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
They just called out the Chamber of Commerce for supporting common core, that was weird.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Nope, sorry--

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm guessing their idea of reform was/is privatization of prisons? :rolleyes:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

richardfun posted:

I'm guessing their idea of reform was/is privatization of prisons? :rolleyes:

I know you're really cynical and jaded and all, but no:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178746/rick-perry-cpac-panel-criminal-justice-shut-prisons-down-save-money

Seriously, it's a good panel. Watch it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Peztopiary posted:

Some day they'll get the sound working right.

I hope they got the sound guy from a couple of CPACs ago who didn't give a gently caress and played songs with expletives in them for CSPAN to rebroadcast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This fuckin' guy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope they got the sound guy from a couple of CPACs ago who didn't give a gently caress and played songs with expletives in them for CSPAN to rebroadcast.

Yup! played Mumford and Sons "Little Lion Man"

quote:

But it was not your fault but mine
And it was your heart on the line
I really hosed it up this time
Didn't I, my dear?
Didn't I, my...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I know you're really cynical and jaded and all, but no:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178746/rick-perry-cpac-panel-criminal-justice-shut-prisons-down-save-money

Seriously, it's a good panel. Watch it.

"Shut Prisons Down, save that money."

But execute often and regularly :getin:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

"Shut Prisons Down, save that money."

But execute often and regularly :getin:

And we'll be that much closer to "The Running Man"!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so what's carson's whole deal?

i think he 's been encouraged to run for a while via social contact with back-of-the-house political types so he's trying to capitalize on an opportunity where he can, or maybe he even believes he can do some good in office. but he just comes off as so stiff and naive

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

drat, look at that turnout

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Next panel: conservative replacement for Obamacare. Already heard: "Obamacare is the LIE of the land"

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
"Obamacare is more fraught with lies and treachery than the ink with which it was written."

Uhhh, what's this lady's problem with ink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

"more than a few alternatives" lmao

• Locked thread