Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Some of us really despise ourselves and will watch some of this live on C-SPAN, so we usually put up a gameday/TVIV-style thread to contain all the chatter, eye-rolling, and other reactions. This is that thread.

A stream can be found at c-span.org

Speakers:
Marsha Blackburn - Congresswoman (TN)
John Bolton - Yosemite Sam impersonator, former UN Ambassador
Brent Bozell III - Media critic, noted plagiarist
Sam Brownback - Governor (KS), Laffer Curve cautionary tale
Ann Marie Buerkle - former one-term Congresswoman (NY), commissioner at Consumer Product Safety Commission
Jeb! Bush - Former governor (FL), has no relatives of note
Dr. Ben Carson - director of pediatric neurosurgey (Johns Hopkins), everyone's black friend
Rafael Edward Cruz - Senator (TX), children's literature enthusiast
Nigel Farage - leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party
Carly Fiorina - failed executive (Hewlett Packard), failed Senate candidate (CA, 2010), foe of demonic sheep
Newt Gingrich - former Speaker of the House, zoo enthusiast
Sean Hannity - Fox News/radio personality, trained MMA fighter
Laura Ingraham - talk radio host, author of "Of Thee I Zing: America’s Cultural Decline from Muffin Tops to Body Shots"
Piyush "Bobby" Jindal - Governor (LA), mocker of volcanic activity studies
Wayne LaPierre - National Rifle Association, gun fetishist
Mark Levin - talk radio host, author, Master Shake impersonator
K T McFarland - token brunette, Fox News
Cathy McMorris Rodgers - Congresswoman (WA)
Sarah Palin - former half-term governor (AK), reality TV star
Rand Paul - Senator (KY), self-certified ophthamologist
Rick Perry - Governor (TX), "smart-guy" glasses model, reciter of incomplete lists
Reince Priebus - chairman of Republican National Committee
Marco Rubio - Senator (FL), bottled water enthusiast
Rick Santorum - former Senator (PA), sartorial trailblazer, unfortunate Google search term
Tim Scott - Senator (SC), former insurance salesman
Donald Trump - birth certificate authenticity expert, reality TV star
Scott Walker - Governor (WI), prank call victim

Highlighted agenda items (full list here)

Reclaiming the American Dream: Millennials Look Toward Their Future
The Conservative Replacement to Obamacare (scheduled for <40 minutes)
When Should America Go to War?
Two Bits and 64 Bytes: Digital Currency and the Democratization of Money
Vote Early, Vote Often: How to Combat Election (Voter) Fraud
The Politics of Cool: How Important Ideas Get Trivialized
America the Military Superpower: What is the Right Size for our Military?
Baby Steps: the Pro-Life Success Story
Frack That! What Is Fracking and How Will it Change America?
Reining in a Lawless President: Obamnesty and Other Pen and Phone Affronts
Supply-side Strategy: Exposing and Confronting the Abortion Industry as Big Business
How Capitalism Empowers the Poor
Prosecutors Gone Wild
Can Islam and Democracy Co-Exist?
The Red Pill or the Blue Pill? A Debate on Marijuana Legalization

Sponsors include:
Breitbart
Leadership Institute
National Rifle Association
One America News Network
The Washington Times
The Heritage Foundation
Poker Players Alliance
Regnery Publishing
... and many more!

And of course, don't forget the always informative straw poll!

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skaboomizzy posted:

Can Islam and Democracy Co-Exist?

Nope!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Wait Nigel loving Farage is showing up? :laffo:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I guess UKIP is looking to see what they can learn from their even more insane across the pond counterparts.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Anytime you hear a Republican at CPAC claim that Obama isn't doing anything about ISIL take a shot a quarter shot (don't want to give goons alcohol poisoning) and keep 2 things in mind:

#1:
:
This photo and the gif that goes with it.

#2:
The Syrian Kurds are literally naming children Obama in gratitude for all of our airstrikes:

quote:

Suruc (Turkey) (AFP) - Sultan Muslim, a Syrian Kurd, had no doubt what to name her seventh child when he was born, safely in Turkey, after a harrowing month-long flight from her home in Kobane: Obama.
--
Near Suruc, both Turkish and Syrian Kurds watch from hilltops, breaking out in cheers, whistles and chanting, "Obama, Obama" at each airstrike.
--
"The day will come when he grows up and becomes like him (President Obama) and saves people from cruelty. "Nobody helped us, but him," she said.
Say hi to Muhammed Obama Muslim (yes that is his real name) at three months old in January:

The kid is super cute, I'd love to see the reaction to his name/picture/story at CPAC.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 25, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

skaboomizzy posted:

Two Bits and 64 Bytes: Digital Currency and the Democratization of Money

Ahahaha holy poo poo bitcoins as a force for democratization :allears:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well these people hate Democracy so I genuinely wonder if they come down on the side of bitcoins or not.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there a schedule posted yet? Also, that Kurdish Obama is adorable.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Full agenda is here, I posted the ones I found to be particularly interesting.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Personally I always look forward to reading a few of the craigslist hookup ads. Though it's probably all moving to tinder/grindr these days.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Is CSPAN actually broadcasting this? I can't seem to find it on the schedule.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Rand Paul is gonna be hanging out at the US-Israel panel. That's hilarious. He's not even running yet, and he's already having to spend a significant portion of his time running defense and atoning for the sin of questioning the aid we give to Israel.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ReidRansom posted:

Personally I always look forward to reading a few of the craigslist hookup ads. Though it's probably all moving to tinder/grindr these days.

PLEASE tell me you saved some good ones

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Nigel Farage - leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party

No loving way. This may be the speech of the event.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I doubt it but it's going to be hilarious to hear how British perception of him plummets when footage of him with the absolute worst America has to offer is all over sky and bbc.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I doubt it but it's going to be hilarious to hear how British perception of him plummets when footage of him with the absolute worst America has to offer is all over sky and bbc.

He has a positive perception? I was under the impression he was widely regarded as a bit of a nutter and a racist. Has UKIP revamped their image? I thought they were a punch-line for anyone who wasn't a supporter.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Here's a fun thing about Nigel Farage: a vast majority of the speakers I listed are from the featured speakers section of the site, where they provide a bio and such. Farage and a couple of others aren't included there and I had to read through the entire agenda to find them.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Also worth noting that Scott Walker is the current frontrunner.

Surely he will use his speech to make a clear case for why he should win the nomination, including specific policy initiatives that he would enact as president.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

baw posted:

Also worth noting that Scott Walker is the current frontrunner.

Surely he will use his speech to make a clear case for why he should win the nomination, including specific policy initiatives that he would enact as president.

I predict that Scott Walker will die a painful death once a rival with money (Jeb!) decides to aim the artillery against him. It will be hilarious.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I thought Walker had the Kochs and the trust behind CATO institute and all that money backing him (telling him what to do).

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vz1TVpwme0

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/once-conservative-child-star-jonathan-krohn-faces-past-155547484--politics.html

quote:

“One of the first things that changed was that I stopped being a social conservative,” said Krohn. “It just didn’t seem right to me anymore. From there, it branched into other issues, everything from health care to economic issues.… I think I’ve changed a lot, and it’s not because I’ve become a liberal from being a conservative — it’s just that I thought about it more. The issues are so complex, you can’t just go with some ideological mantra for each substantive issue.”

Krohn is bucking the received wisdom that people become more conservative as they get older, a shift he attributes partly to philosophy.

“I started reflecting on a lot of what I wrote, just thinking about what I had said and what I had done and started reading a lot of other stuff, and not just political stuff,” Krohn said. “I started getting into philosophy — Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Kant and lots of other German philosophers. And then into present philosophers — Saul Kripke, David Chalmers. It was really reading philosophy that didn’t have anything to do with politics that gave me a breather and made me realize that a lot of what I said was ideological blather that really wasn’t meaningful. It wasn’t me thinking. It was just me saying things I had heard so long from people I thought were interesting and just came to believe for some reason, without really understanding it. I understood it enough to talk about it but not really enough to have a conversation about it.”

Go go cpac go.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 25, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The best thing about Walker's potential Presidential run is that one way or another it should get him out of the Governor's seat in Wisconsin. The only question is how fast, and how much damage can he do first.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Rexicon1 posted:

I thought Walker had the Kochs and the trust behind CATO institute and all that money backing him (telling him what to do).

Walker has the support of the Kochs against Wisconsin unions and Democrats, but he hasn't had to compete with other potential presidential candidates yet. If they do back a candidate before the primaries are over, it's entirely possible that the Kochs will just go with whomever they think has the best shot at winning the general election.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Walker has the support of the Kochs against Wisconsin unions and Democrats, but he hasn't had to compete with other potential presidential candidates yet. If they do back a candidate before the primaries are over, it's entirely possible that the Kochs will just go with whomever they think has the best shot at winning the general election.

I've said before that he reminds me of Reagan. That is what scares me, he is a horrible person that shouldn't win an election yet he keeps winning. I understand how politically he should be easily dismissed, but until he loses I'm not going to count him out. The funding and pac money just makes him more scarey.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

He keeps winning in a state that's 85% white and essentially a political time capsule to 25 years in the past, where the Reagan coalition bedrock of angry white suburbanite tax revolters still forms the core of the electorate, and also whose Democratic party is particularly incompetent and whose liberal voting base is spread out and divided between poor Milwaukee blacks and rich Madison whites. He will be in for a nasty surprise when he finds that the Reagan voting base has more or less dried up in the rest of the country because it's no longer 1988 outside of the range of the time freeze superweapon in the basement of Koch Manor

Even if he were as competent as Reagan, which he's not, the conditions that let Reagan come to power no longer apply. Like I've said before, Hillary would rip Walker's head off in a general election

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 25, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

He keeps winning in a state that's 85% white and essentially a political time capsule to 20 years in the past, where the Reagan coalition bedrock of angry white suburbanite tax revolters still forms the core of the electorate, and also whose Democratic party is particularly incompetent and whose liberal voting base is spread out and divided between poor Milwaukee blacks and rich Madison whites. He will be in for a nasty surprise when he finds that the Reagan voting base has more or less dried up in the rest of the country because it's no longer 1988 outside of the range of the time freeze superweapon in the basement of Koch Manor

He certainly doesn't have Reagan's charisma, which I never really understood. The guy was boring and phony as hell. People still bought into it, and with a hundred million in his pocket I'm not going to count Walker out until he loses.

icantfindaname posted:

Even if he were as competent as Reagan, which he's not, the conditions that let Reagan come to power no longer apply. Like I've said before, Hillary would rip Walker's head off in a general election

You have a lot more faith than I do then.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"And here straight from the UK is Mr Nigel Farage, who is going to tell us more about the Muslim no go areas that make up 75% of his country"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stoat posted:

PLEASE tell me you saved some good ones

Alas, no. I personally save very little. Probably a few here and there in previous years' threads though.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
This is the problem when you invite more than one token black conservative to CPAC: people start confusing them.

"Whoops... Looks like the CPAC mobile app has confused @SenatorTimScott for @RealBenCarson"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Good start to the conference.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Should have done one more review of the site

That is Tim Scott

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2 posts up pimp.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
CPAC spokesman now saying that's a 'shop. Off to a hilarious start!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is not the first time CPAC has used Tim Scott's photo incorrectly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So what do we think is going to be the most racist thing said? Going 50/50 on someone dropping wetback.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

1stGear posted:

So what do we think is going to be the most racist thing said? Going 50/50 on someone dropping wetback.

It's going to be tough to beat the 2013 panel about "How to tell everyone we aren't racist"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

1stGear posted:

Probably somebody saying slavery was better for blacks (again)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

That was the worst thing to come out of last time. I can't imagine something more cringeworthy coming out of this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

1stGear posted:

Some California politician said it last year and brushed it off by saying he was raised to say it and shouldn't be held accountable since he didn't know better.

I not sure flag is going to top throwing peanuts at the black camera woman. Honestly I think they could set up a burning cross and get away with it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Probably somebody saying slavery was better for blacks (again)

Yeah, it'll be hard to top that one.

• Locked thread