Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, it kind of feels like people are overreacting to Carolina destroying Arizona and just assuming Denver can't hang. I like the Panthers' chances, don't get me wrong, but I don't see it being a repeat of 2013.

on the other hand, not even the biggest Seahawks homer on Earth saw 2013 coming. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Osweiler starts the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I really just cannot tell you how weird it is to have the Panthers going into the GOD drat SUPER BOWL as a team people are saying is going to crush

This season has been so great, I'm so nervous

I'm at least happy we're playing Denver because even if we lose I don't mind Manning getting a 2nd ring as much as I would hate to lose to the Patriots again

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Stefan Prodan posted:

Man I really just cannot tell you how weird it is to have the Panthers going into the GOD drat SUPER BOWL as a team people are saying is going to crush

This season has been so great, I'm so nervous

This is where I'm at. Just happy to be here :)

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

This is where I'm at. Just happy to be here :)

Yeah, the whole thing is still pretty surreal. We've been in a Super Bowl before, so that's not necessarily the shocking part -- it's how we got here, and how much of the spotlight this team is lavishing in. From assuming Kelvin Benjamin's injury would destroy this season before it even started to 17-1 and the Super Bowl favorite is just...holy poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is still pretty surreal. We've been in a Super Bowl before, so that's not necessarily the shocking part -- it's how we got here, and how much of the spotlight this team is lavishing in. From assuming Kelvin Benjamin's injury would destroy this season before it even started to 17-1 and the Super Bowl favorite is just...holy poo poo.

If you watch the Inside the NFL clip after the Philly brown TD, Ricky Proehl is just yelling on the sidelines "WE AINT GOT NO WIDE RECEIVERS"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

RumbleFish posted:

Excluding the 17-1 part, this is very similar to the 2013 Seahawk season. Battle not with monsters and what not.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

If you watch the Inside the NFL clip after the Philly brown TD, Ricky Proehl is just yelling on the sidelines "WE AINT GOT NO WIDE RECEIVERS"

I love Ricky Proehl. I love him so much. Is there still a high probability of Carolina's coordinators being poached in the offseason? I'd really like to see this group stick together for a bit, but that's probably not realistic.

Also, how loving crazy is it that Mike Shula might be a legitimately decent OC? Blows my mind.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

I love Ricky Proehl. I love him so much. Is there still a high probability of Carolina's coordinators being poached in the offseason? I'd really like to see this group stick together for a bit, but that's probably not realistic.

Also, how loving crazy is it that Mike Shula might be a legitimately decent OC? Blows my mind.

all the spots are taken now.

If im the Panthers I give Proehl a raise, a new title, whatever he wants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ricky Proehl, Catchmeister

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, Ricky Proehl is the loving best.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Promise him the OC spot when someone eventually hires Shula.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

all the spots are taken now.

If im the Panthers I give Proehl a raise, a new title, whatever he wants.

I don't get how no one wants McDermitt.

I'm happy no one does, but I don't get it.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

waah posted:

I don't get how no one wants McDermitt.

I'm happy no one does, but I don't get it.

Maybe he's a lovely interview, like Ron Rivera was for all those years.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I don't think many defensive coaches got looks this offseason. That and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some front offices thinking Rivera is driving the defense over McDermott.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im pretty surprised we're keeping everyone. Its pretty cool though.

The more i think about it the more im pretty ecstatic that we're in the superbowl and have a legitimate core of players under contract for at least another season.

That being said I want the team to win. Really loving badly.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

RumbleFish posted:

The other day my friends and I were looking through our group texts from right after the news broke.

I wasn't the one who said "6 and 10" but I didn't disagree either.....that is all I'll say hah

It is crazy no one on the coaching staff even sniffed a rumor at another team. How many cast offs do you have to coax amazing season out of before you get a shot over a retread. Ted Ginn was the best player in a NFC championship game and you don't hear a single offense coach get mentioned in a job search. Kurt Coleman has 9 interceptions. Cortland Finnegan came out of retirement, stepped right into a starting role, and hasn't even embarrassed himself, goddamn MIchael Oher is even playing above average.

I mean I'm not complaining but in a world where Mike Mularky gets hired as a head coach it is kind of odd.

Of course, after all I said above I'm not sure Shula or McDermott would actually be good head coaches but it is crazy their names never even appeared in a rumors column. Is the OC behind the highest scoring lineup in the NFL featuring a rookie TE convert and two guys who were practically out of the league not a better gamble than Doug Pederson? A secondary featuring Josh Norman (all pro obv) recently retired Cortland Finnegan, 600k a year Kurt Coleman, and a second year 4th rounder who wasn't going to play just shut the Cardinals down (yes I know the front 7 played a huge part, I'm not that stupid)......actually no we'll promote the OC of the fired coach (TWO loving TEAMS!!!)

I mean not hired is one thing, but not mentioned even once? Mind boggling.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2016

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McDermott did interview, and Shula declined from the start.

It's possible Shula did that to save himself the embarrassment of not being interviewed. How many teams can look at their QB and say they have what Shula needs to run this offense and be effective?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
*smiles and raises his hand* my team does

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

*smiles and raises his hand* my team does

Wouldn't Alex Smith get murdered running as much as Cam does?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
he's tougher than horse's rear end

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FizFashizzle posted:

McDermott did interview, and Shula declined from the start.

The latest chapter in the 920 novel series "Ribsauce is a dumbass"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I thought Shula denied he didn't want to do interviews. Apparently the man doesn't even have an agent: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/20/mike-shula-says-he-would-have-interviewed-for-coaching-jobs/

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I seem to remember McDermott expressing interest in the Eagles opening. I thought they'd at least given him an interview, but I guess not. I am absolutely fine with him staying, though. He's done a fantastic job. Even Shula has grown on me and seems to have really improved his play calling for the most part.

What I'm more concerned with is free agency, to be honest.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Only potential loss is Norman, who will at the least be franchised, like hardy was.

There are no other notable free agents.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Going to a Super Bowl is definitely goddamn surreal. It's thrown my offseason rituals completely out of whack.

I haven't even looked at a mock draft yet because I have no idea what the gently caress I want us to do. Every move we could make would either be depth, BPA or a weakness that we're already masking effectively. I guess a safety or another CB might be nice, but other than that who the gently caress knows?

I don't have to decide who I want to win the game by weighing who I hate the most or what players deserve rings.

I'm not at all concerned about free agency, especially weird because we have fucktons of cap space

and every once in a while I have to stop and remind myself it's happening.

it's pretty cool and I hope every fan gets to experience it once. Alternately, I'd like to experience it 10 times.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ed dickson is going to make the game-winning catch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zimbomonkey posted:

it's pretty cool and I hope every fan gets to experience it once. Alternately, I'd like to experience it 10 times.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

WHOOPS posted:

I don't think many defensive coaches got looks this offseason. That and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some front offices thinking Rivera is driving the defense over McDermott.

It's because everyone is trying to either fix a quarterback or keep a quarterback happy. Defense is for stupid losers!!!!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ehud posted:

It's because everyone is trying to either fix a quarterback or keep a quarterback happy. Defense is for stupid losers!!!!

Would have thought everyone would be bulking the poo poo out of their defense, given how successful it's been for Denver. Their defense this year is so good it's made QB fungible.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sour Diesel posted:

I had this thought before the Cardinals game and it almost happened

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sour Diesel posted:

In the first quarter.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Would have thought everyone would be bulking the poo poo out of their defense, given how successful it's been for Denver. Their defense this year is so good it's made QB fungible.

Teams getting that far with top defense and mediocre/poor quarterback play happens very, very rarely. Denver is an outlier. Good QB play is still the best way to consistently make the playoffs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ehud posted:

Teams getting that far with top defense and mediocre/poor quarterback play happens very, very rarely. Denver is an outlier. Good QB play is still the best way to consistently make the playoffs.

Oh, I know, but teams love a good fad. I bet there's 31 head coaches right now trying to work out how to also get themselves a Von Miller.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

teams love a good fad.

I don't know what you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzdRhcwIRBE

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

didn't this basically end his career

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The last time I saw the Panthers in the Superbowl it was like my first superbowl ever.

And I swear to god they ran the ball every play apart from that one time it went 100 yds or whatever.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

indigi posted:

didn't this basically end his career

yeah he was waived one year after being a second round pick

lol at this from his wikipedia:

quote:

In July 2010, Ricky Williams said that Pat White was the most improved player on the team.[33]

White was waived by Miami on September 4, 2010.[34]

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

o_o
O_O

People can say what they want about the pussification of football, but at least you don't see people murdered like that as much anymore

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Ehud posted:

But teams getting far with top defense and average QB play happens. Look at the 49ers when they made 3 straight NFC championship games. I agree that you need to keep a decent QB happy, but an amazing defense can mask a lot of faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TheFace posted:

But teams getting far with top defense and average QB play happens. Look at the 49ers when they made 3 straight NFC championship games. I agree that you need to keep a decent QB happy, but an amazing defense can mask a lot of faults.

An amazing D is really difficult to put together as well. Especially if you want sustained success. Look how many Ds flame out after one or two seasons. Hell, look how poorly Buffalo has done with several years of a top defense.

• Locked thread